05/21/14 05:49 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Thanks.
How substantial is the Dana housing where the cover bolts enter, and what size are they? (I'm sure some here will anticipate where I'm going with this).
If the housing thickness is sufficient as an "anchor" point, the cover could be stiffened a great deal by simply adding an "X" brace across the dome (landing in between several bolts). This should be as tall (standing away from the cover) as practical. It serves as the attachment point for 2 spans (1" 4130 tube) each ending on a big adjustable clevis on either end (like a 4-link). The cover's new addition and the housing axle ends have the mating clevis shapes.
When assembled, the spans pull the axle tubes backward toward the landing spot on the cover to whatever tension you want on the clevises. The taller the X brace the more leverage the clevises have.
To service the gears, back off on both clevises a few turns, and remove the pins holding the inner spans to the cover; rotate them down and out of your way (or remove completely if they're in the way).
The cover now comes off as normally.
Service complete: attach the cover, tighten the clevises and re-install the pins through the spans.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: 9" Vs. Dana 60 [Re: polyspheric] #1621996
05/23/14 12:47 AM
05/23/14 12:47 AM
WI
68hemiss Offline
mopar
68hemiss  Offline
mopar

WI
Guys, many of you have more experience with these rears than I but I wanted to bring up a couple of points. I was at a seminar once that DTS put on and they mentioned that Dana axle tubes were not very strong - thin wall mild steel and some people were having problems bending them -They had a process where they would mill out the tube welds in the case and remove the stock tubes and replace them with chrome moly thicker wall tubes and weld them back to the case in the stock locations as well as a full weld where the tubes exit the case.
I would think that the length of the tubes as well as where the suspension components (leaf springs, ladder bars, ect...) attach also would play into the bending of the axles. A shorter rear would be stiffer.

I also am tired of hearing that a 9" is the only way to go especially on street & street/strip cars. My argument is that you can build a Dana that is basicly trouble free for a car up to the 9 sec zone with mostly the parts it came with - add a steel cap, gear and axles and you are ready to go. When building a 9" Ford you need to replace almost everything in the 3rd member, case, pinion support, ect... as well as brace the housing - Is it stronger and lighter than a Dana, Yes, but also more expensive for this type of car. Unless you are running a class car, an extreme HP car or possibly a really fast car on Drag Radials, I don't see the need to HAVE to run a 9"
Just my 2 cents

Re: 9" Vs. Dana 60 [Re: Mcode69] #1621997
05/23/14 01:02 AM
05/23/14 01:02 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A guy that races a Colt at one of the near by drag strips runs a 9" floater. I asked why several years ago and he told me if he broke an axle he didn't want to lose a tire and tear the car up.

you wont loose a tire with a regular 9" they are bolted to the flange

Tell that to my buddy who broke an axle at the bearing on his Omni/Charger and destroyed the rear quarter.

Exactly, I've personally seen multiple 9"s break axles outside the bearing. And another thing, why is it at every drag meeting, when you walk around the pits sooner or later you will see it, laying on the grass a 9" pinion still attatched to the drive shaft?????

The pinion with driveshaft attached is because the guy did NOT buy a decent pinion support, which is a MUST for a Ford rear.

You DO realize a Ford has a flanged axle, same as a Dana, an 8.75 and about every other rear axle assy on the planet. So what exactly would it be about a Ford that makes this problem more common on them, than any other flanged axle?..........Now usually what causes ANY flanged axle to break at the bearing, is because some insist on welding the bearing retainer sleeve on instead of just pressing it on. Welding on an axle puts a stress point in it right there. If one breaks THAT far out, just the bearing retainer flange is likely NOT strong enough to keep the wheel under the car, regardless of what type rear it is.

Monte

Re: 9" Vs. Dana 60 [Re: Monte_Smith] #1621998
05/23/14 04:00 AM
05/23/14 04:00 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Well... 9" here..

3000# and runs in the 8's..

Never have broke any parts..

Bent the housing when the car wrecked..

It started out as a Nodular 9" with a Daytona pinion support and back braced.. Moly tubes..
It now has a bolt thru Moser aluminum case, and has always had 35 spline M/W axles..

And always has had street gears too..

Never have broke a set of those.. But we don't do what Monte does either..

It's still a 900+ hp deal @ 3000#..

Monte didn't say everyone needed a 9".. A Dana is just as good for some things, and not as good for others..

Gear selection and simplicity makes the 9" a no brainer for me..

Chris..

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4