Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160729
01/13/09 10:30 PM
01/13/09 10:30 PM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Joe, words cannot express the loss this community has just undergone. He truly was an ambassador of good will and spirit. He , I think, was one of the driving forces around Moparts lately. His kindness, charisma, thoughtfullness and great attitude seemed to be really catching on around here. My thoughts and heart go out to Michelle , Sierra, his nephew and close friends and family . I am deeply saddened.

He seemed to really spark a lot memories for "the older folk" around here. Meaning, guys with stories of the good ol' days.. I think Fred and you, Joe, got to be especially close to him. I'm very sorry. Rick G

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160730
01/13/09 10:35 PM
01/13/09 10:35 PM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Quote:

I just got word that Kevin Christner passed away last night. It was Kevin who put this thread together and got it up and running. Words do not express how I feel. We have lost probably one of the most enthusiastic Mopar guys that I have run across in a long time. He wanted more than anything to see his MOTOWN MISSILE run down the track vs Hemi Fred and put on a show for all his fellow Mopar friends. Godspeed Kevin, Godspeed.

Joe Pappas

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: sunroofgtx] #160731
01/13/09 10:49 PM
01/13/09 10:49 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
Back To The 70s With J.P.
Mopar Missile JP  Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Joe, words cannot express the loss this community has just undergone. He truly was an ambassador of good will and spirit. He , I think, was one of the driving forces around Moparts lately. His kindness, charisma, thoughtfullness and great attitude seemed to be really catching on around here. My thoughts and heart go out to Michelle , Sierra, his nephew and close friends and family . I am deeply saddened.

He seemed to really spark a lot memories for "the older folk" around here. Meaning, guys with stories of the good ol' days.. I think Fred and you, Joe, got to be especially close to him. I'm very sorry. Rick G

Rick,

If it wasn't for Kevin's boundless curiosity about all the history and stories, I probably would have never taken the step to pass on the "old" stories and experiences to the Moparts members. Kevin will always be part of this thread - he was it's inspiration.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: hemiparts] #160732
01/13/09 10:57 PM
01/13/09 10:57 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Quote:

I just got word that Kevin Christner passed away last night. It was Kevin who put this thread together and got it up and running. Words do not express how I feel. We have lost probably one of the most enthusiastic Mopar guys that I have run across in a long time. He wanted more than anything to see his MOTOWN MISSILE run down the track vs Hemi Fred and put on a show for all his fellow Mopar friends. Godspeed Kevin, Godspeed.

Joe Pappas

Chris,

Kevin sent me that photo some time ago. I know how happy he was that you drove the Missile for him and he was looking forward to seeing you and I take a turn at the wheel this coming year. We will miss him deeply - but we will NEVER forget him.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Kev's DaMan [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160733
01/14/09 02:12 AM
01/14/09 02:12 AM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Joe,

As hard as it is for me to write this it also give me a little comfort to share a few "Kevin Moments" I remember one afternoon Kevin called me on the phone, he was so excited he could hardley talk. "Joe Pappas has joined MOPARTS" he screamed. I'll bet in the 5+months I knew him we burnt up 1/2 a million cell phone minutes and at least that many e-mails.He savored every tidbit of information or picture he could find of the "Old Missile Days" as he called them. Another phone call came in 1 afternoon " Joe Pappas wants to Drive the Missile" ( he was beside himself and talked abouth it for days) when he told me that I would be sharing the seat of the Missile with you have I have to admit I was in awe myself @ the possible chance to get to meet you in person. Kevin loved that car and all the history it held, maybe somewhere down the road our paths will cross and I'll get to meet " Joe Pappas" and maybe you and I can set down and swap "Kevin Stories".

Chris

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Kev's DaMan [Re: hemiparts] #160734
01/14/09 08:55 AM
01/14/09 08:55 AM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
I found this thread only last month. After only a couple of post I got a PM from Kevin. He had noticed in my profile I lived in KY and ask where? Believe it or not, he was born and raised only a few miles from me in Ironton, Ohio. He was a lot younger (43) but we knew some of the same people and I even knew one of his high school teachers. He was VERY curious as to the old Super Stock mopars I had owned or been involed with. He was going to help me find some history of X pro stock Duster we had in the early seventys. It had came out of the Carolinas and was lettered in gold lead as Starduster on the quarter panels. So much on the rambling, I would just like to say it was a pleasure in the very short time I had spoken with Kevin that I can say he was a friend and I will miss him>

Last edited by Frito; 01/14/09 08:55 AM.
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Kev's DaMan [Re: Frito] #160735
01/14/09 11:53 PM
01/14/09 11:53 PM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
As I have done every night for a while, came in tonight expecting to read the Kevin and Joe posts.

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160736
01/16/09 07:01 PM
01/16/09 07:01 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
I know that Kevin Christner would want this thread to continue. He was instrumental in getting it going and out of respect for him, his efforts, and his enthusiasm - I will do so. He had asked me to try to get Dick Oldfield involved as well. I had spoken with Dick briefly about that a few weeks ago without a real yes or no but rest assured that if I cannot answer one of your questions - I know that Dick will help me out. I speak with him quite often (he's retired and I still work so I fund his Social Secruity...he owes me)so we can get answers.

I will be in Melbourne Florida next weekend at the MOPAR SWAP MEET and will once again lay my hands on the MOPAR MISSILE Duster that was driven by Don Carlton during our pretty successful 1973 Season. It is currently owned by Ben Donhoff who I believe lives somewhere in Florida. Between myself and Stewart Pomeroy, we plan on taking a lot of photos to document the current status of the car and hopefully we can find a way to share some of those with you.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160737
01/16/09 11:05 PM
01/16/09 11:05 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Joe,
When looking at the pictures of the Missle with the data collector, wheel speed sensors, airflow evaluation (strings), etc.. did the competition know the degree of testing that was going on and do you know if the competition was also testing to the same degree. When I first saw the pictures a year or two ago, I was in awe at the amount of information being gathered for the era.

Bill

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160738
01/16/09 11:31 PM
01/16/09 11:31 PM
Melbourne, Florida
Florida_70Bee Offline
super stock
Florida_70Bee  Offline
super stock

Melbourne, Florida
Quote:

I know that Kevin Christner would want this thread to continue. He was instrumental in getting it going and out of respect for him, his efforts, and his enthusiasm - I will do so. He had asked me to try to get Dick Oldfield involved as well. I had spoken with Dick briefly about that a few weeks ago without a real yes or no but rest assured that if I cannot answer one of your questions - I know that Dick will help me out. I speak with him quite often (he's retired and I still work so I fund his Social Secruity...he owes me)so we can get answers.

I will be in Melbourne Florida next weekend at the MOPAR SWAP MEET and will once again lay my hands on the MOPAR MISSILE Duster that was driven by Don Carlton during our pretty successful 1973 Season. It is currently owned by Ben Donhoff who I believe lives somewhere in Florida. Between myself and Stewart Pomeroy, we plan on taking a lot of photos to document the current status of the car and hopefully we can find a way to share some of those with you.

Joe,

I am the chairman of Mopar Super Swap X. It is honor and privilege to have both you and Stewart come to our clubs swap meet next weekend, and hopefully share some great stories about Don Carlton and the Missile program.

Ben Donhoff is a friend of mine and lives in Melbourne. I think it is great that Ben will be bringing the Missile out to share with everyone. I hope I get to meet and thank you and Stewart personally for coming to our meet.

I never got to meet Kevin (I was hoping to at the meet) but I know you along with many of us are hurting with his loss. I hope next weekend will spark the "Mopar Enthusiam" in all of us that Kevin seemed most famous for. I know he seemed to bring alot of his enthusiam to many topics here on this board and it was much appreciated.

If you need anything let me know!

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: B Dartman] #160739
01/17/09 12:53 PM
01/17/09 12:53 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Joe,
When looking at the pictures of the Missle with the data collector, wheel speed sensors, airflow evaluation (strings), etc.. did the competition know the degree of testing that was going on and do you know if the competition was also testing to the same degree. When I first saw the pictures a year or two ago, I was in awe at the amount of information being gathered for the era.

Bill

Bill,

I am sure the competition knew full well that the Missile car was the factory test car from Chrysler. There was never any doubt about that. At a great number of the races we attended we were joined by Tom Hoover, Tom Coddington, Al Adam, Ron Killen, and John Baumann. It didn't take much to put two and two together... In the PS community, the secrets were few and far between - but we all managed to keep a few things close to the vest.

The Ford and GM teams all worked very hard to find an edge just like us but I think that their drag race programs were not as sophisticated, staffed, funded, or organized as was the Chrysler program.

That does not mean they did not exist, rather they existed on a different level. I know for a fact that Ford did wind tunnel testing at the Dearborn wind tunnels for the race teams back in the 60's and 70's. I had friends working there. The cars came in on the night shifts so as not to disrupt normal production development work. Also, I used to sit with a friend of mine from Dearborn on top of some schoolyard playground equipment at the elementary school located a the corner of Oakwood and Rotunda in Dearborn watching drag cars and road race cars go through their paces on the Dearborn Test Track.

Chrysler did limited wind tunnel work - mostly with NASCAR teams at Lockheed in GA and you saw how we did the poor man's version with our yarn tufts and documented our tests through photos. We later analyzed the photos and decisions as to the effectiveness of a change would be made.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Florida_70Bee] #160740
01/17/09 12:58 PM
01/17/09 12:58 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Joe,

I am the chairman of Mopar Super Swap X. It is honor and privilege to have both you and Stewart come to our clubs swap meet next weekend, and hopefully share some great stories about Don Carlton and the Missile program.

Ben Donhoff is a friend of mine and lives in Melbourne. I think it is great that Ben will be bringing the Missile out to share with everyone. I hope I get to meet and thank you and Stewart personally for coming to our meet.

I never got to meet Kevin (I was hoping to at the meet) but I know you along with many of us are hurting with his loss. I hope next weekend will spark the "Mopar Enthusiam" in all of us that Kevin seemed most famous for. I know he seemed to bring alot of his enthusiam to many topics here on this board and it was much appreciated.

If you need anything let me know!

Andy,

Thanks for the note. I am looking forward to being in Melbourne and meeting Ben and yourself. For me, seeing the old Duster will be very emotional. That car represents much more to me than what people may think. See you next weekend.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160741
01/17/09 01:02 PM
01/17/09 01:02 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Thanks Joe.

Quote:

Chrysler did limited wind tunnel work - mostly with NASCAR teams at Lockheed in GA and you saw how we did the poor man's version with our yarn tufts and documented our tests through photos. We later analyzed the photos and decisions as to the effectiveness of a change would be made.

Interestingly I'd read where a scaled model(s) of either the Daytona or Superbird or maybe both were wind tunnel tested right here in Wichita Kansas at Wichita State University. The wind tunnel here not near the size of Lockheed's, but likely a more feasible start before going full scale. They have a great engineering program mostly directed at aviation.

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: B Dartman] #160742
01/17/09 01:23 PM
01/17/09 01:23 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Thanks Joe.

Quote:

Interestingly I'd read where a scaled model(s) of either the Daytona or Superbird or maybe both were wind tunnel tested right here in Wichita Kansas at Wichita State University. The wind tunnel here not near the size of Lockheed's, but likely a more feasible start before going full scale. They have a great engineering program mostly directed at aviation.

Bill,

That makes a lot of sense. It is a lot less expensive to do it that way. The next time I run into Larry Rathgeb I will ask him about that. He worked in Chrysler Engineering and worked a lot with Richard Petty on the NASCAR program back then. Chrysler had a couple of VERY good aerodynamists at the time working on that stuff. I thing they were Gary Romberg and Bill LaJoie. I am sure that Gary co-authored a SAE paper back in those days outlining the aerodynamic properties of the Daytona and Superbird based on his wind tunnel work. Rathgeb gave me a copy of it some years ago and it makes for some very interesting reading.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160743
01/25/09 10:46 AM
01/25/09 10:46 AM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
Joe Pappas experiencing the Missile for the first time in 35 years.

4971798-1.jpg (446 downloads)
Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: StewartP] #160744
01/25/09 02:44 PM
01/25/09 02:44 PM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
Quote:

I am sure that Gary co-authored a SAE paper back in those days outlining the aerodynamic properties of the Daytona and Superbird based on his wind tunnel work. Rathgeb gave me a copy of it some years ago and it makes for some very interesting reading.

There was a paper published on this. I had a copy of it floating around a few years ago. I was very interesting and detailed some of the aerodynamic details of the car. I think the paper was written specifically about the Daytona.

I think the authors were Marcell and Romberg.

A few minutes w/ SAE..... SAE 700036

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: DCM71cuda] #160745
01/25/09 02:52 PM
01/25/09 02:52 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
Great pic of Joe! Fire it up, Joe, and throw it in gear!

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: StewartP] #160746
01/25/09 04:26 PM
01/25/09 04:26 PM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
Joe:

Glad to see you back. Kevin would have been like a kid in a toy store at Christmas. Was it like you remembered it?

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: cgall] #160747
01/25/09 04:43 PM
01/25/09 04:43 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
And a big ol smile to boot!!

Re: Official Joe Pappas Q & A Thread. **Joe's Da' MAN [Re: B Dartman] #160748
01/25/09 10:34 PM
01/25/09 10:34 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
another