05/18/14 10:49 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
for my Sunday crowd.

I know others here have run into this before and had to insulate or move the fuel line. Somebody here besides RapidRobert must have some experience with vapor lock and maybe could confirm that my symptoms match it.

I ordered a Thermotec sleeve and am going to rig a heat shield over the hard line to reflect some of this radiant heat.

I hate to keep asking questions here but these rides (tows) home are getting expensive and annoying. I am really curious if this is really my issue or if I am just grasping at straws here...

Thanks!

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593403
05/18/14 11:01 PM
05/18/14 11:01 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I hate to keep asking questions here but these rides (tows) home are getting expensive and annoying. I am really curious if this is really my issue or if I am just grasping at straws here.

Keep posting bro, we'll get this sooner or later . I wanna see you get this as much as you do (& I ain't paying the tow truck)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: RapidRobert] #1593404
05/19/14 01:04 AM
05/19/14 01:04 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
I've read through this...The fuel gauge is a good thing but you did'nt state what the pressure was during the "vaporlock" issue...

Heated lines...OK, but there's alot of vehicles out there with headers and they don't have a vaporlock issue but anything is possible..A factory vapor separator and return line to keep the fuel cycling would be a good thing if you truely believe the vaporlock theory...

Lastely, you've checked the lines leading to the pump for debris...And you've never mentioned how the tank is vented...If it's a later model tank with the 4 lines and divorced vapor catch that itself would be another source for the degrading black rubber...

Which brings me to the last question...Did you verify the vent system is actually working and not creating a vacuum condition under a high load/demand on the fuel pump ???

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: screamindriver] #1593405
05/19/14 08:27 AM
05/19/14 08:27 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

I've read through this...The fuel gauge is a good thing but you did'nt state what the pressure was during the "vaporlock" issue...

Heated lines...OK, but there's alot of vehicles out there with headers and they don't have a vaporlock issue but anything is possible..A factory vapor separator and return line to keep the fuel cycling would be a good thing if you truely believe the vaporlock theory...

Lastely, you've checked the lines leading to the pump for debris...And you've never mentioned how the tank is vented...If it's a later model tank with the 4 lines and divorced vapor catch that itself would be another source for the degrading black rubber...

Which brings me to the last question...Did you verify the vent system is actually working and not creating a vacuum condition under a high load/demand on the fuel pump ???

The fuel pressure gauge is under the hood so I can't see it while I drive. If necessary, I may plumb a line in and tape a gauge to the windshield. The fact that the pump holds pressure for 2-3 minutes after shutdown tells me the pump is good (at least at the time).

I have a brand new tank connected to the factory vapor separator with 4 rubber lines. I replaced the rubber lines last summer and they still look brand new. The separator is not connected to the vapor line as I don't have it anymore. It just vents to atmosphere. Also, this doesn't just happen under high load, its after 20 minutes or so of driving and pressing the pedal harder actually got through the stuttering enough to get home.

I don't see any symptoms that would lead me to think it's a vacuum lock issue. When I pop the fuel cap, no 'whoooosh' of air or anything. I know the tank is vented as I parked it with a very FULL tank of gas and jacked the rear up to do some work and it dripped gas all over during the course of several days.

The fuel line was replaced several years ago and but it is SS and I did flush it to make sure it was clean (it was). I am 99.999% sure we have a squeaky clean line from the tank to the pump as everything is brand new at this point.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593406
05/19/14 10:17 AM
05/19/14 10:17 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
You might have to pull the sender from the tank.Ive seen some that collapse from the alky in the gas.Makes it act like a clogged fuel filter.My 440 with aluminum line in the engine compartmant and big 2 inch headers dosent lose FP.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: therocks] #1593407
05/24/14 07:15 PM
05/24/14 07:15 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Here is an update. I got a 3' piece of Thermo-Tec sleeving that is supposed to reflect 90% of radiant heat and slipped it over my fuel line from the pump to the line near the collector.

I haven't had the chance to go for an extended drive today to test the issue but I did idle car in the garage for maybe 15 minutes until it was good and hot and made note of the temps on the fuel bowls and lines. Granted the hood was open but the fuel bowls were at 115* and the SS braided lines were about the same (down from 165*).

I also noticed that the fuel pressure after shutoff took about an hour to start bleeding down as was still at 3psi on my gauge several hours later! Before the sleeve it would bleed down after a few minutes. I am hoping this bodes well for curing possible vapor lock issues.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593408
05/25/14 01:45 AM
05/25/14 01:45 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I am hoping this bodes well for curing possible vapor lock issues.

Sounds promising

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: RapidRobert] #1593409
05/31/14 05:24 PM
05/31/14 05:24 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Here is another update to my issue. I took the car out for a 20 mile drive and parked it for about 30 minutes. The car ran like a top the whole way.

When I came back out I cranked the car and made it all of about 200 feet before it just cut off. I tried for a few seconds to re-crank it but nothing. I was in the middle of a parking lot so I pushed it out of the way so I could investigate.

I checked the fuel pressure gauge (had about 2 psi) and checked the ignition from the distributor wire (plenty of spark). I then was able to fire it up after a few seconds of hard cranking. Here is a video I took of the fuel pressure gauge with the car idling in gear with the A/C on to put a little load on the motor:

Here

I started to drive a little bit after it idled like this for maybe 5 minutes or so and it felt 'off' like it was going to want to cut off again. I parked it and called a tow truck.

When they arrived 40 minutes later, car fired right up and drove onto the flatbed and back at the house it fired right up and drove into the garage.

I am really stumped. I am still feeling like this is a vapor lock issue perhaps but the fuel bowls on the carb and lines didn't feel super hot to the touch when it cut off.

Any ideas?? What else to try?? Please .....I am so tired of paying for tows!

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593410
05/31/14 06:01 PM
05/31/14 06:01 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Lot of Drama and trauma, but I know fuel/ignition problems can be taxing at times, I read this whole thread, or tried to keep in check you woes/repairs/observations

no mention of changing the fuel pump rod, I know you said OEM, but get it off the list, don't buy the Mopar replacements, buy from www.racepumps.com pn#6030 $30

Fuel bowl level, no mention of setting up/checking, do you have adjustable float bowls on your Holley?

Memory check, where's your fuel filter located in the system? is the direction of flow correct?...sometimes it's the simplest things that kick one's ar$e

Mike

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: DAYCLONA] #1593411
05/31/14 07:56 PM
05/31/14 07:56 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

Lot of Drama and trauma, but I know fuel/ignition problems can be taxing at times, I read this whole thread, or tried to keep in check you woes/repairs/observations

no mention of changing the fuel pump rod, I know you said OEM, but get it off the list, don't buy the Mopar replacements, buy from www.racepumps.com pn#6030 $30

Fuel bowl level, no mention of setting up/checking, do you have adjustable float bowls on your Holley?

Memory check, where's your fuel filter located in the system? is the direction of flow correct?...sometimes it's the simplest things that kick one's ar$e

Mike

I have heard the fuel pump push rod theory before but I would like to hear somebody with 1st hand knowledge of a worn rod causing this kind of issue. I know a work rod can cause fuel starvation issues but this motor will cut off when not under any real load at all. The fact that it made it 20 miles up and down hills and then starts to do this after sitting makes me think 'heat issue' but I could be wrong. I hate to keep throwing money at this swapping parts but if somebody here can give me some experience where a worn rod did this, please let me know!

The fuel levels of both bowls are where they should be aka slight dribble out of each site hole. I did verify this when I rebuilt the carburetor a few weeks back. It is a 4150 and it does have adjustable fuel bowl levels.

The fuel filter is the Summit billet unit with a 40 micron metal mesh filter. I don't remember if it has a dedicated in/out on it but I don't see how the direction would really matter on it. I just assembled it so that if I open the filter, the mesh sits down in there and doesn't fall out.

I appreciate the response...I will consider the worn rod theory but if anyone here can confirm if this can cause (1st hand not guessing) the issues I am having, I will buy a new one.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593412
05/31/14 08:17 PM
05/31/14 08:17 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
At least measure you existing push rod, should measure 3.244 long (a tad under 3 1/4")

I'd confirm the flow direction of the fuel filter and make sure it's mounted between the pump and the carb

Have you tried driving the car without the gas cap on?

All "free" things to try and eliminate off the list

Mike

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593413
05/31/14 11:54 PM
05/31/14 11:54 PM
NC, USA
D
davenc Offline
mopar
davenc  Offline
mopar
D

NC, USA
After the motor dies, did you check the fuel level in the bowls? Is it at your normal level? If you work the throttle, does fuel squirt from the accelerator pump nozzles?

When you crank the motor, and it does not start, does it sound like it is firing?

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: DAYCLONA] #1593414
06/01/14 03:32 PM
06/01/14 03:32 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

At least measure you existing push rod, should measure 3.244 long (a tad under 3 1/4")

I'd confirm the flow direction of the fuel filter and make sure it's mounted between the pump and the carb

Have you tried driving the car without the gas cap on?

Filter is between the pump and carburetor. There is no filter between the pump and the tank except for the sender sock.

When I get over being PO'ed at this car, I might pull the pump and check the rod length. I didn't measure it but I did inspect it last time I had it out and both ends were perfectly flat with no signs of worn metal. I'm pretty sure it's the original rod as it has the engraved ring around the center of it where it seems most of the aftermarkets are just smooth.

I am pretty sure this isn't a vacuum lock issue because I have popped the cap after running the car and I don't get any 'whoosh' of air like there is a vacuum building in the tank. My fuel filler is dead center on the back of the tank so I don't want to drive w/o the cap and give my rear bumper/plate a gasoline bath.

I didn't check the fuel level in the bowls when the car cut off. I did see pressure on the gauge but I do need to check that next time. I can always see gas from the squirters, even after the car dies.

When the engine wouldn't start, it does feel like it's firing. I pulled the distributor wire and it was sending all kinds of spark to the ground when I held it close. At this point I am 99.9% sure it's not ignition-related as I have tested both the ECU and ignition system during a no-run condition.

When I cut off, I only tried to re-crank it for about 5 seconds or so before I gave up and pushed it out of the road. I have a feeling I would have gotten it to crank eventually but how long it would run...I don't know. As I said before, 5 minutes later I fired it right up and it idled in-gear with A/C on just fine (when I took the video). It just felt 'off' when I tried to drive it like it was going to try and stall...

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593415
06/01/14 11:50 PM
06/01/14 11:50 PM
NC, USA
D
davenc Offline
mopar
davenc  Offline
mopar
D

NC, USA
If there is fuel at the squirters, there is some fuel in the bowls. Next time it happens, open the sight plug and judge how much fuel is actually in there. If you can see the fuel, there is more than enough for the motor to fire, and fuel delivery to the carb would not be the issue.

Is it possible that fuel is leaking from the carb and flooding the motor while its parked? When it is hard to start have you tried putting the pedal to the floor and crank it (to clear a flooded condition)?

I know you said the carb was recently rebuilt but is possible that there is piece of schmutz in an internal passage? Perhaps something is blocking the fuel flow somewhere in the idle circuit.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: davenc] #1593416
06/02/14 12:58 AM
06/02/14 12:58 AM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
you can`t go by the way the push rod looks. you need to measure it.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593417
06/02/14 05:38 PM
06/02/14 05:38 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
I would temporarily stick a cheap napa electric fuel pump back at your gas tank and see if the problem goes away. Sounds like your fuel line is heating up and turning the gas to vapor and your mechanical fuel pump can't suck vapor. Even with the wrap on your fuel line will heat up. It will just take longer. If you wrap the line with pipe foam insulation and then use the wrap you should be in better shape.

I had that problem with a Trans Am and could not start the car easily until after it cooled down. Both my street driven mopars have electric pumps and I don't have any hard starting or driving issues.

A moparts member named Challenger1 I think, has had real good luck running mechanical pumps. He runs the stock mopar pumps that have a return line at the pump to return fuel to the fuel tank. That way the fuel doesn't get a chance to heat up in the line because it's always moving.

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: davenc] #1593418
06/02/14 11:53 PM
06/02/14 11:53 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

If there is fuel at the squirters, there is some fuel in the bowls. Next time it happens, open the sight plug and judge how much fuel is actually in there. If you can see the fuel, there is more than enough for the motor to fire, and fuel delivery to the carb would not be the issue.

Is it possible that fuel is leaking from the carb and flooding the motor while its parked? When it is hard to start have you tried putting the pedal to the floor and crank it (to clear a flooded condition)?

I know you said the carb was recently rebuilt but is possible that there is piece of schmutz in an internal passage? Perhaps something is blocking the fuel flow somewhere in the idle circuit.

This posting made me recall a problem years ago, a friends car had stalling, hard starting problems, which led him to believe no fuel, various ignition woes, etc, etc, etc....end result was the rear float on his Holley 4 bbl had a hole and was slowly taking on fuel as ballast which in turn had the needle seat always calling for fuel, at cruising the engine was fine, but off the throttle it would sputter and die, or run ragged....

So with the engine running see if you can see fuel dripping in the secondary bores/venturis at idle, run your fingers around the secondary's venturis at idle, if they're wet, maybe you have a float issue?

Fuel puddling in the secondarys at idle/off throttle will cause a ragged idle/stall/flood conditions...just an idea

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: rapom] #1593419
06/03/14 12:00 AM
06/03/14 12:00 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

A moparts member named Challenger1 I think, has had real good luck running mechanical pumps. He runs the stock mopar pumps that have a return line at the pump to return fuel to the fuel tank. That way the fuel doesn't get a chance to heat up in the line because it's always moving.

I am 99% sure my car never had a return line from the factory. I know they can offer benefits with vapor lock situations but I have no way to plumb that in with my fuel pump which has no return port. I suppose I could add the return line and fuel pressure regulator with a return port but this seems overkill for a street car.

Don't people run mech pumps and headers all the time? The wrap I used was specifically for killing exhaust heat on lines. What am I having so much trouble with this now?

Another thing I noticed was that my fuel pressure gauge still showed around 2psi (engine off) after I pushed it out of the way when it wouldn't start? Would vapor lock show no pressure?

If I was vapor locking and/or boiling the fuel in the carb, wouldn't cranking the motor and running it clear the vapor lock?

Re: Holley Fuel Pump Issues ****UPDATE**** [Re: cjskotni] #1593420
06/03/14 07:48 PM
06/03/14 07:48 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
The pressure created by the vapors may be pushing the fuel back towards the tank and the vacuum created by the pump may not be enough to overcome the pressure.

Gasoline isn't what it used to be and it goes to vapor easier nowdays. When fuel boils in the carb it can cause the floats to sink and you could get a rich condition. I've read somewhere that parts of the fuel can start to boil at 100 degrees.

I think you need more space between your fuel line and the heat barrier which is why I suggested the pipe insulation and the heat barrier on top of that. The heat barrier by itself probably would work for small amounts of time but I'm thinking the engine compartments's constant heat saturates everything quickly and since the heat barrier is touching the fuel line it ends up being a conductor of heat.

Foam insulation doesn't conduct heat to well.

Keep in mind that I just trying to give you ideas as I haven't tried any of these ideas yet.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3