Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Looking for a new aluminum intake for the street on my 67 coronet, that comes with the mounts for my throttle cable/kickdown linkage.. Not looking to "race" just take off some weight and upgrade the looks some Any recommendations?? Brand and supplier??

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574854
02/06/14 03:14 PM
02/06/14 03:14 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
What is your build? Hard to beat the RPM but your stock air cleaner will not fit under the hood w/o a drop base. Many options around, Street Dom, M1 dual plane, even an old CH4B will be better that the stock unit. You should be able to use your stock linkage on all of them. I've used CH4B, Torker, Torker II, and RPM w/ all the stock stuff.
If you grind the "Edelbrock" off the CH4B and paint it, most will think it's stock.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574855
02/06/14 03:34 PM
02/06/14 03:34 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Looking for a new aluminum intake for the street on my 67 coronet, that comes with the mounts for my throttle cable/kickdown linkage.. Not looking to "race" just take off some weight and upgrade the looks some Any recommendations?? Brand and supplier??

No such intake exists for a big block Mopar.

the throttle cable and the TV/kickdown linkage is attached to a separate bracket that is held in place by a manifold to head bolt ... what you have now, especialy if it's working correctly, is what you want to use.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574856
02/06/14 04:35 PM
02/06/14 04:35 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Quote:

Quote:

the throttle cable and the TV/kickdown linkage is attached to a separate bracket that is held in place by a manifold to head bolt ... what you have now, especialy if it's working correctly, is what you want to use.

John are you saying that no aluminum aftermarket exists? or that what I have on my car now doesn't exist??

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574857
02/06/14 04:37 PM
02/06/14 04:37 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

If it isn't going to see the high side of 5800 RPM there really isn't enough to gain with any single 4 aluminum intake to be worth the bother.

That being said most of the "normal" height ones on the market will work with the stuff you have. AndyF makes an adjustable throttle/kickdown bracket for the hi-rise ones that won't.

Kevin

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Twostick] #1574858
02/06/14 05:42 PM
02/06/14 05:42 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
He means the brackets dont bolt to the intake

5549 post on old board
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Twostick] #1574859
02/06/14 07:02 PM
02/06/14 07:02 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If it isn't going to see the high side of 5800 RPM there really isn't enough to gain with any single 4 aluminum intake to be worth the bother.

That being said most of the "normal" height ones on the market will work with the stuff you have. AndyF makes an adjustable throttle/kickdown bracket for the hi-rise ones that won't.

Kevin

I beg to differ... I replaced the stock spredbore intake on my stock 78 MH 440/thats about as lopo as they get. it woke the engine up and has good torque all thru the RPM range.

I have a holley street dominator going on with a q-jet that should be a good gain for a stock lopo 440 also.

and the OFFENHAUSER 360* low rise/divided/open plenum is very torqy on it.. it is rated from 1500-8500 rpm.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574860
02/06/14 07:53 PM
02/06/14 07:53 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John are you saying that no aluminum aftermarket exists? or that what I have on my car now doesn't exist??

in the last thread you started you were shown a picture of what your car is supposed to have and I asked you what intake and carb are presently on the car.

What is on you car right now that you want to change off???

Mopar NEVER bolted the kickdown linkage directly to the manifold on a big block in 1967 ... or any other year that I know of ... it pivots on a shaft that is on a bracket that is SEPARATE from the manifold .

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574861
02/06/14 10:20 PM
02/06/14 10:20 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I ain't used it myself but from numerous rave reviews (on here) I'd have no problem recommending the Eddy "performer rpm". It's a square bore/dual plane. As said it is very tall. The street dominator is a spread bore single plane with a real low profile & it gets pretty good reviews also. As said just reuse your bolt on brackets. Other good choices were mentioned. What do you have on there now? You mentioned weight so I'm assuming you have an OE iron one & in that case I'm sure you'll gain with an alum choice.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574862
02/07/14 01:42 AM
02/07/14 01:42 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

in the last thread you started you were shown a picture of what your car is supposed to have and I asked you what intake and carb are presently on the car.

Mopar NEVER bolted the kickdown linkage directly to the manifold on a big block in 1967 ... or any other year that I know of ... it pivots on a shaft that is on a bracket that is SEPARATE from the manifold .

Exactly. Since the OP hasn't shown or told us what he has now we can't really help him. He must have the wrong bracket if it won't work with any manifold. Maybe he has a bracket for a 6pk or hemi. Who knows might be a slant six or small block bracket. Somebody show him a pic of the correct bracket on a couple of common intakes.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: GomangoCuda] #1574863
02/07/14 01:30 PM
02/07/14 01:30 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Since the OP hasn't shown or told us what he has now we can't really help him. He must have the wrong bracket if it won't work with any manifold. Maybe he has a bracket for a 6pk or hemi. Who knows might be a slant six or small block bracket. Somebody show him a pic of the correct bracket on a couple of common intakes.

I posted a picture of the bracket in his other thread .

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: GomangoCuda] #1574864
02/07/14 01:56 PM
02/07/14 01:56 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Well, I keep forgetting to take a pic of my car intake/kickdown area. To be honest I havent looked at it for a couple of years, it was in storage in Oregon after I moved to Florida, and it just got her a week ago.. I have been packing this aluminum intake around and thought it would be nice to install it with a new edelbrock carb.

From what I can tell it is the stock intake that came on my car when it was built in late 66. If is the car in the pic. 67 R/T with its original 440/727. Everything else is original to the car in the engine compartment. Pretty sure it has a flat area that the cable/brackets sit on with a bracket that bolts to the intake manifold.

The Aluminum intake I have does not have a mounting/bolt hole on it for securing this bracket to. So I was wondering if I could purchase a new intake that had the mounting area for the bracket so I could install it on my car.. NON of the pics I see, for aluminum intakes for 440 engines, seem to have this THREADED BOLT hole that the bracket bolts into, for the cables..

Last edited by floridian; 02/07/14 02:10 PM.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1574865
02/07/14 02:00 PM
02/07/14 02:00 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL

Kevin

I beg to differ... I replaced the stock spredbore intake on my stock 78 MH 440/thats about as lopo as they get. it woke the engine up and has good torque all thru the RPM range.

I have a holley street dominator going on with a q-jet that should be a good gain for a stock lopo 440 also.

and the OFFENHAUSER 360* low rise/divided/open plenum is very torqy on it.. it is rated from 1500-8500 rpm.

Don't care about any of this.. Just looking for a nicer look and weight reduction......

Last edited by floridian; 02/07/14 02:03 PM.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574866
02/07/14 02:35 PM
02/07/14 02:35 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Well, I keep forgetting to take a pic of my car intake/kickdown area. To be honest I havent looked at it for a couple of years, it was in storage in Oregon after I moved to Florida, and it just got her a week ago.. I have been packing this aluminum intake around and thought it would be nice to install it with a new edelbrock carb.

From what I can tell it is the stock intake that came on my car when it was built in late 66. If is the car in the pic. 67 R/T with its original 440/727. Everything else is original to the car in the engine compartment. Pretty sure it has a flat area that the cable/brackets sit on with a bracket that bolts to the intake manifold.

The Aluminum intake I have does not have a mounting/bolt hole on it for securing this bracket to. So I was wondering if I could purchase a new intake that had the mounting area for the bracket so I could install it on my car.. NON of the pics I see, for aluminum intakes for 440 engines, seem to have this THREADED BOLT hole that the bracket bolts into, for the cables..

You need to go back and A) look at your car , and B) look at the picture I posted in the other thread ... here I posted it for you .... the original bracket for your car does NOT bolt to the intake , NEVER did , it is held in place by the rearmost bolt that holds the intake to the head the intake you currently have is not incorrect, you swap the intake and put the bracket back in the same spot.

If you are going to run an Ebrock carb you need to get the Mopar adapter bracket so your stock linkage will work correctly.

Also DO NOT under ANY circumstances buy the Performer Series 750 , it is a total POS ... Buy a Thunder series AVS.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574867
02/07/14 02:49 PM
02/07/14 02:49 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Quote:

Quote:

You need to go back and A) look at your car , and B) look at the picture I posted in the other thread ... here I posted it for you .... the original bracket for your car does NOT bolt to the intake , NEVER did , it is held in place by the rearmost bolt that holds the intake to the head the intake you currently have is not incorrect, you swap the intake and put the bracket back in the same spot.

If you are going to run an Ebrock carb you need to get the Mopar adapter bracket so your stock linkage will work correctly.

Also DO NOT under ANY circumstances buy the Performer Series 750 , it is a total POS ... Buy a Thunder series AVS.

On top of this (edelbrock info) John but I do appreciate the info..

I answered this in my other post ( thanks) The bracket you show above I believe is correct ( yes I have the 3 piece linkage) but I think it bolts to the hole where the throttle cable bracket bolts on the intake manifold..

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574868
02/07/14 03:07 PM
02/07/14 03:07 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I answered this in my other post ( thanks) The bracket you show above I believe is correct ( yes I have the 3 piece linkage) but I think it bolts to the hole where the throttle cable bracket bolts on the intake manifold..

You really need to go pop the hood on the car. Get phone or camera out and snap a picture and post it. I have never ever seen any linkage for kick down mount to the intake directly for 4 bbl. On the cross ram intake yes, but I am not sure how the kick down on those work, or even if they had a kick down, manual shift auto maybe?

One heads up though, if you have a bracket like pictured and you go aftermarket, some of the intakes have runners that wont allow the bracket to mount correctly under the intake bolts. You either have to modify or buy one of the adjustable pieces. Here is what I have fabbed up. I used a 71 bracket (I beleive). The two tabs that mount under the intake bolts were extended and the height was increased to have straight shot at linkage. I cut and wleded in some pices of metal that were close to the same thickness.

You can see the area where the lick down linkage would have been pinned to. Its the tab near the intake bolt. The older cars use the bracket that John RR posted.

8030295-Bracket-Copy.JPG (903 downloads)

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574869
02/07/14 03:41 PM
02/07/14 03:41 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
The correct bracket (shown above by JohnRR) bolts on here. Where is yours?

8030331-66440manifold.jpg (268 downloads)
Last edited by GomangoCuda; 02/07/14 03:49 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: GomangoCuda] #1574870
02/07/14 03:47 PM
02/07/14 03:47 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
The stock bracket doesn't fit on some taller aftermarket intakes. If that is the problen then use one of these http://arengineering.com/products/440-with-kickdown-pivot/

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574871
02/07/14 04:04 PM
02/07/14 04:04 PM
USA
R
rftroy Offline
super stock
rftroy  Offline
super stock
R

USA
Quote:

Manifold on backward?

Need pictures.

Robert

AAR 4-speed 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner 4-speed 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv 383 4-speed 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv Slant 6 OD4 2.94, 71 B5 Blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
70 Challenger S/E. 505 6 pack, Passon 5-speed, 3.55, B7 Blue
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: rftroy] #1574872
02/07/14 04:12 PM
02/07/14 04:12 PM
USA
R
rftroy Offline
super stock
rftroy  Offline
super stock
R

USA
Does your car have the choke mechanism connected?
If not, is the choke well on the driver's side?

Pictures.

Robert

78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: rftroy] #1574873
02/07/14 04:24 PM
02/07/14 04:24 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Is this some sort of test?
You keep going back and forth between these two threads
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8025134

Snap a pic and post it up

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: roadhazard] #1574874
02/07/14 07:21 PM
02/07/14 07:21 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
My apologies on the two thread thing.. Yes time for a pic

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: rftroy] #1574875
02/07/14 07:38 PM
02/07/14 07:38 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Does your car have the choke mechanism connected?
If not, is the choke well on the driver's side?

Pictures.

Robert

Maybe on cars converted for right hand side drive. No choke wells on the Mopar V8 engines where made on the drivers side produce ever for domestic consumption Me thinks you meantto say the passenger side, correct
OP, the best new RB intake out there for street and strip use is the Edlbrock RPM Performer they work well on both B and RB motors, especially on mild motors with converters that stall less than 4000 RPM IHTHs BTW, if you want to buy one of the stock throttle cable brackets in very good shape PM me

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Cab_Burge] #1574876
02/07/14 08:16 PM
02/07/14 08:16 PM
USA
R
rftroy Offline
super stock
rftroy  Offline
super stock
R

USA
No Cab, what I was getting at is whether the intake manifold is put on backward.

I've seen this done before, in my youth. A guy put his manifold on backwards and used a holley with a mechanical choke. So now the coil mounting holes that should be at the front near the distributor are in the back on the driver's side.
This guy also had some bracket rigged up for the throttle cable, which was only held down with one bolt, in one of the now incorrectly positioned holes. He had to occasionally pull over and tighten the bolt because his bracket would start to rotate.

If the OP is looking at the manifold backward, he may think that he coil mounting holes are actually holes for the throttle bracket. In this case, the choke well would be on, incorrectly, the driver's side.

The manifold can be put on backward if it has a symmetrical pattern for both the carb hold down holes and the carb bore holes. Depending upon the carburetor, there can be issues with the throttle components hitting the choke well. But, never underestimate the cleverness of a hotrodder to find workarounds.

The way the OP is referring to the "hole", singular, for the bracket, the more I am thinking he has the manifold backward.

But, a PICTURE would tell all.

Robert

Last edited by rftroy; 02/07/14 08:17 PM.

78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574877
02/08/14 01:50 PM
02/08/14 01:50 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No the throttle cable AND the kickdown both connect to the same bracket that I posted above .

WHAT intake do you have that you want to swap on ?

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: roadhazard] #1574878
02/09/14 10:46 AM
02/09/14 10:46 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
Quote:

Is this some sort of test?

This whole thread is whack!!
Sometimes in the middle of trying to explain something you just have to say What the heck? and walk away.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574879
02/09/14 01:46 PM
02/09/14 01:46 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
"The Aluminum intake I have does not have a mounting/bolt hole on it for securing this bracket to. So I was wondering if I could purchase a new intake that had the mounting area for the bracket so I could install it on my car.. NON of the pics I see, for aluminum intakes for 440 engines, seem to have this THREADED BOLT hole that the bracket bolts into, for the cables"

Impossible, the bracket, which includes the throttle cable bolts onto the intake using the last intake bolt. NEVER did mopar make a seperate piece that bolted into the intake. What are you looking at?

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1574880
02/09/14 02:55 PM
02/09/14 02:55 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
FWIW if I were in your shoes and looking at weight savings only and not performance and all I was considering was changing the intake, I would just skip it. You won't be saving enough weight to make a difference and it's not worth the hassle unless you're just wanting to do it for the fun. My own goal was to make my 440 as light as a stock small block. Aluminum water pump, housing and intake, TTI headers, Sanden AC compressor, and some day I'll add eddy heads.

If you're dead set on doing it, Edelbrock Performer (non RPM) is about the "newest" design that's very similar to stock but from what I've read, it's just a mirror opposite of an older runner design (CH4B???). The older CH4B and Offy 360 will do the same.

I don't know how folks claim they can use the stock throttle and kickdown on an RPM without tweaking the cable and linkage north about an inch. I'm building mine now and it ain't happening with stock linkage. Andy's (ARE) bracket is awesome and the best solution I've seen.

Last edited by Big Bad Bee; 02/09/14 03:05 PM.

I’m listening.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1574881
02/09/14 03:14 PM
02/09/14 03:14 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I think, at this point and by lack of response and pictures, that the OP has figured out his intake is on backwards and has slunk off.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: rftroy] #1574882
02/09/14 03:28 PM
02/09/14 03:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

No Cab, what I was getting at is whether the intake manifold is put on backward.

I've seen this done before, in my youth. A guy put his manifold on backwards and used a holley with a mechanical choke. So now the coil mounting holes that should be at the front near the distributor are in the back on the driver's side.
This guy also had some bracket rigged up for the throttle cable, which was only held down with one bolt, in one of the now incorrectly positioned holes. He had to occasionally pull over and tighten the bolt because his bracket would start to rotate.

If the OP is looking at the manifold backward, he may think that he coil mounting holes are actually holes for the throttle bracket. In this case, the choke well would be on, incorrectly, the driver's side.

The manifold can be put on backward if it has a symmetrical pattern for both the carb hold down holes and the carb bore holes. Depending upon the carburetor, there can be issues with the throttle components hitting the choke well. But, never underestimate the cleverness of a hotrodder to find workarounds.

The way the OP is referring to the "hole", singular, for the bracket, the more I am thinking he has the manifold backward.

But, a PICTURE would tell all.

Robert

I sort of skimmed past this .. .sorry ...

I think I see what the problem the OP thinks he may have ... the alum intake he wants to put on does not have a choke well and since you can put the intake on with either end forward he is THINKING the mount pads for the COIL MOUNT are for the throttle linkage bracket? Maybe the intake he has is one of the many aftermarket intakes with the coil mount on the opposite side of where stock Chrysler manifolds have them ?

Just a guess ???

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574883
02/09/14 06:19 PM
02/09/14 06:19 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
The firing order on my intake is marked 3614025 but when I hook up the plug wires that way the engine doesn't run very well.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: AndyF] #1574884
02/09/14 07:44 PM
02/09/14 07:44 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
I don't see a fitment issue?

8033337-image.jpg (184 downloads)

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: AndyF] #1574885
02/09/14 07:57 PM
02/09/14 07:57 PM
USA
R
rftroy Offline
super stock
rftroy  Offline
super stock
R

USA
Quote:

The firing order on my intake is marked 3614025 but when I hook up the plug wires that way the engine doesn't run very well.

Oh, groan....

78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: AndyF] #1574886
02/10/14 02:14 AM
02/10/14 02:14 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1574887
02/10/14 10:19 AM
02/10/14 10:19 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
"I don't know how folks claim they can use the stock throttle and kickdown on an RPM without tweaking the cable and linkage north about an inch. I'm building mine now and it ain't happening with stock linkage. Andy's (ARE) bracket is awesome and the best solution I've seen."

I didn't have an issue, I added a 3/4" piece to the and of the cable and there are plenty of threads on the stock kick-down linkage to adjust. I also had to add some lenght to the stock 6-pack cable on this car, due to the Stage VI heads and carb spacers. Takes about 10 minutes.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1574888
02/10/14 11:12 AM
02/10/14 11:12 AM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
OK, sorry for the delayed response ( I only have online access at work).. I am getting old and and its been a long time since I assembled the engine..

Johns pic of the bracket that bolts to the very back intake bolt is correct.. I must of been thinking of the throttle cable bolting to this bracket.. thanks for all of the help on here, if I want to use the aluminum intake I have I will use one of Andy's brackets.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574889
02/10/14 12:07 PM
02/10/14 12:07 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

OK, sorry for the delayed response ( I only have online access at work).. I am getting old and and its been a long time since I assembled the engine..

Johns pic of the bracket that bolts to the very back intake bolt is correct.. I must of been thinking of the throttle cable bolting to this bracket.. thanks for all of the help on here, if I want to use the aluminum intake I have I will use one of Andy's brackets.

You don't need that bracket the factory one will work w/ almost every intake on the market.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1574890
02/10/14 12:42 PM
02/10/14 12:42 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

You don't need that bracket the factory one will work w/ almost every intake on the market.

Exactly ... he still hasn't said what intake he has ...

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574891
02/10/14 01:01 PM
02/10/14 01:01 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, Manifold has been in storage for 2 years, not sure what is it besides a dual plane.. Probably an edelbrock...

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574892
02/10/14 02:36 PM
02/10/14 02:36 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, Manifold has been in storage for 2 years, not sure what is it besides a dual plane.. Probably an edelbrock...

As long as it is not an RPM you should be fine using your current linkage setup , make sure to readjust it after the change over.

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574893
02/10/14 06:06 PM
02/10/14 06:06 PM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As long as it is not an RPM you should be fine using your current linkage setup , make sure to readjust it after the change over.

thanks again John

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574894
02/10/14 06:40 PM
02/10/14 06:40 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
The best (and one of the most stock looking) intake is the Indy 440-2d and you can make the stock throttle bracket work with a simple spacer between the bracket and the intake...you want to do this anyway since the carb pad is a bit higher and the spacer keeps the throttle cable angle the same relative to the support. Although it is bigger and freeer flowing than the Performer RPM, the carb pad is actually a good bit (maybe 3/8" ) LOWER so filter clearence is better for 67-earlier B body cars.

The 440-2d also has the tapped bosses for the coil mount.

FWIW, I prefer the later 2 bolt style throttle /kickdown bracket (maybe 74 and later)
it uses the bolts in front of #5 and behind #7 and still looks factory.

8034495-indy440-2.jpg (59 downloads)
Last edited by Streetwize; 02/10/14 06:43 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Streetwize] #1574895
02/10/14 06:58 PM
02/10/14 06:58 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The best (and one of the most stock looking) intake is the Indy 440-2d and you can make the stock throttle bracket work with a simple spacer between the bracket and the intake...you want to do this anyway since the carb pad is a bit higher and the spacer keeps the throttle cable angle the same relative to the support. Although it is bigger and freeer flowing than the Performer RPM, the carb pad is actually a good bit (maybe 3/8" ) LOWER so filter clearence is better for 67-earlier B body cars.

FWIW, I prefer the later 2 bolt style throttle /kickdown bracket (maybe 74 and later)

That's a good intake but probably overkill for what I can only assume is a STOCK 440 .

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1574896
02/10/14 11:02 PM
02/10/14 11:02 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

"I don't know how folks claim they can use the stock throttle and kickdown on an RPM without tweaking the cable and linkage north about an inch. I'm building mine now and it ain't happening with stock linkage. Andy's (ARE) bracket is awesome and the best solution I've seen."

I didn't have an issue, I added a 3/4" piece to the and of the cable and there are plenty of threads on the stock kick-down linkage to adjust. I also had to add some lenght to the stock 6-pack cable on this car, due to the Stage VI heads and carb spacers. Takes about 10 minutes.

Picture please.

I’m listening.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: JohnRR] #1574897
02/11/14 10:55 AM
02/11/14 10:55 AM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Quote:

Quote:

That's a good intake but probably overkill for what I can only assume is a STOCK 440 .

Yes, stock 67 440/375.. Bored 40 over, Original stock exhausts, stock intake, original carb ( carter)....

Looks like I have a Edelbrock performer..

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1574898
02/11/14 11:13 AM
02/11/14 11:13 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Picture please.

At work now, i'll try later but it's like this... I took a flat piece of metal, rounded the edges, drilled holes and bang done.

8035293-cable.jpg (41 downloads)
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: floridian] #1574899
02/11/14 11:58 AM
02/11/14 11:58 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, stock 67 440/375.. Bored 40 over, Original stock exhausts, stock intake, original carb ( carter)....

Looks like I have a Edelbrock performer..

Just swap the intake , readjust the linkage , DONE ...

Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1574900
02/11/14 02:00 PM
02/11/14 02:00 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Picture please.

At work now, i'll try later but it's like this... I took a flat piece of metal, rounded the edges, drilled holes and bang done.

Thank you, Jeff.

I’m listening.
Re: Any good new aluminum 440 intakes for sale [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1574901
02/11/14 02:20 PM
02/11/14 02:20 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Picture please.

Thank you, Jeff.

N/P. Just make sure you make the holes big enough so they pivot easy. You also want to make sure you have full extention and the carb(s) open 100% (just as you would with any set-up)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3