florida dade
C
cesar perez Offline OP
mopar
cesar perez  Offline OP
mopar
C

florida dade
i want to buy fiber glass doors for my 70 dart how much weight will i save and is it possible to install window mechanism and door handle what fiberglass do you recommend

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: cesar perez] #1566912
01/22/14 05:09 AM
01/22/14 05:09 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
I have glass doors on my 70'.

If you mount them with lightweight removable mounts, a tubular window mount with Lexan windows and a race style door latch, you will save a considerable amount over 2 stock doors with all the factory hardware and glass. I didn't weigh the difference, but it isn't close when picking them up.

Plus, with glass doors you can pop em' off in 2 seconds when working on the car. Call Glasstek. Their stuff is excellent and I think doors are still under 700 for the pair.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: jim sciortino] #1566913
01/22/14 05:37 AM
01/22/14 05:37 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
Steel doors can be lightened also.
I have lightened steel doors with plexi windows and they arent much heavier then fiberglass doors. Maybe 5-6 lbs.
They dont look pretty though.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: sshemi] #1566914
01/22/14 10:59 AM
01/22/14 10:59 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I went the other way. I took my fiberglass doors off and put steel doors back on my duster. They are nicer looking, the windows wind down, and now I can drive it in the trailer and climb out the window instead of removing and hanging up the doors. They are a lot heavier but I love the convenience. Like it says above if you install lexan and remove the internals I think the difference was about 6 pounds per door on my 74 duster years ago. The newer dusters have the crash bars that can be removed too.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: sshemi] #1566915
01/22/14 02:47 PM
01/22/14 02:47 PM
North
D
Dodgenu Offline
Dodgenu  Offline
D

North
Quote:

I have lightened steel doors with plexi windows and they arent much heavier then fiberglass doors. Maybe 5-6 lbs.

I just replaced my friends doors with fiberglass ones on his 73 Dart and the weight savings was 84 lbs per door.I bought the window install kit from Alstons chassis works.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: cesar perez] #1566916
01/22/14 03:00 PM
01/22/14 03:00 PM
Highland beach Fl
P
poisondart2 Offline
enthusiast
poisondart2  Offline
enthusiast
P

Highland beach Fl
Quote:

i want to buy fiber glass doors for my 70 dart how much weight will i save and is it possible to install window mechanism and door handle what fiberglass do you recommend

If you want to keep your windows and mechanisms you will not save any weight although the electric window systems will save a few pounds over the original crank up.strip out the doors and they will be just as light as fiberglass and look better.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: Dodgenu] #1566917
01/22/14 03:06 PM
01/22/14 03:06 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
One complete door on my car, with window frame/window, quick remove hinges, latches, bodywork/paint (they are straight as an arrow) and limiter straps weighs 12 pounds.....

I'd like to see a lightened stock door and all of the above weigh only 5lbs more.

I don't buy it for a second.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: jim sciortino] #1566918
01/22/14 04:03 PM
01/22/14 04:03 PM
Highland beach Fl
P
poisondart2 Offline
enthusiast
poisondart2  Offline
enthusiast
P

Highland beach Fl
Quote:

One complete door on my car, with window frame/window, quick remove hinges, latches, bodywork/paint (they are straight as an arrow) and limiter straps weighs 12 pounds.....

I'd like to see a lightened stock door and all of the above weigh only 5lbs more.

Iam sure that is correct but he was asking to keep all the hardware plus he would not have take off doors so add the hinge to the weight and glass.For a low 7 second car i could see going to fiberglass doors with nothing on them but again he was not asking that.Add the mechanism and other hardware ,hinge you wont be at 12 lbs

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: poisondart2] #1566919
01/22/14 05:36 PM
01/22/14 05:36 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Iam sure that is correct but he was asking to keep all the hardware plus he would not have take off doors so add the hinge to the weight and glass.For a low 7 second car i could see going to fiberglass doors with nothing on them but again he was not asking that.Add the mechanism and other hardware ,hinge you wont be at 12 lbs

May as well keep the stock doors then.....

One of the reasons to switch to glass, or carbon doors it to take advantage of all the weight saving attributes and that includes the ability to lighten everything that relates to the door.

I never weighed my complete stock doors with the factory hinges, but I've carried them and compared to my replica hardware the difference is extreme.

Being that my Dart is a small block N/A street car that probably only runs somewhere in the 8s, I looked to take weight out in a number of areas and for me, even though it's not a low 7sec car, the doors were a no-brainer.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: jim sciortino] #1566920
01/22/14 06:26 PM
01/22/14 06:26 PM
Highland beach Fl
P
poisondart2 Offline
enthusiast
poisondart2  Offline
enthusiast
P

Highland beach Fl
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One of the reasons to switch to glass, or carbon doors it to take advantage of all the weight saving attributes and that includes the ability to lighten everything that relates to the door.

I never weighed my complete stock doors with the factory hinges, but I've carried them and compared to my replica hardware the difference is extreme.

Being that my Dart is a small block N/A street car that probably only runs somewhere in the 8s, I looked to take weight out in a number of areas and for me, even though it's not a low 7sec car, the doors were a no-brainer.

Again I agree and I have seen Ceasers Dart.I believe Ceaser thinks there will be a large gain in weight loss if he gets a fiberglass door and puts all the harware on it. I say no there will not be a great loss if any.I do understand weight loss and the composit manifold I put on my newest car saved 9 pounds.Your car in the photo looks like a pro stock door and heck yes there is a large gain.Just trying to help Ceaser out

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: poisondart2] #1566921
01/22/14 07:22 PM
01/22/14 07:22 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again I agree and I have seen Ceasers Dart.I believe Ceaser thinks there will be a large gain in weight loss if he gets a fiberglass door and puts all the harware on it. I say no there will not be a great loss if any.I do understand weight loss and the composit manifold I put on my newest car saved 9 pounds.Your car in the photo looks like a pro stock door and heck yes there is a large gain.Just trying to help Ceaser out

Yes.....to really make a car light means finding numerous areas to shed weight and/or spending a ton on expensive materials.

My car is a simple 4-limk back-half car with an AlterKation front, but it's fairly light considering there is no carbon fiber and has a lot of street stuff. I can race the car with another 125+ taken out without changing the look of the car in the least, with the removal of a few things and at the cost of about 3k.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: Dodgenu] #1566922
01/22/14 08:30 PM
01/22/14 08:30 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
Quote:

Quote:

I just replaced my friends doors with fiberglass ones on his 73 Dart and the weight savings was 84 lbs per door.I bought the window install kit from Alstons chassis works.

^^^^ This says it all ^^^^^ wow that's a bigtime diet.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: fishy340] #1566923
01/22/14 10:28 PM
01/22/14 10:28 PM
North
D
Dodgenu Offline
Dodgenu  Offline
D

North
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it is and I used the stock latchs and hinges.

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: Dodgenu] #1566924
01/23/14 01:06 AM
01/23/14 01:06 AM
corpus christi tex
C
Cheatham Offline
mopar
Cheatham  Offline
mopar
C

corpus christi tex
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

same here but im looking at finding lighter latches

Re: fiber glass doors [Re: Dodgenu] #1566925
01/23/14 09:20 AM
01/23/14 09:20 AM
MI, usa
dvw Online content
master
dvw  Online Content
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A- Body doors must be really heavy.Starting out my 64 Belvedere doors weighed 78 lbs each complete, and my car has window frames. I was able to lose nearly 30 by remove the regulators, gutting the inside and going to 1/8" Lexan. Removing the vent assembly would have taken out another 10lbs.
Doug

8008565-W33.jpg (44 downloads)
Re: fiber glass doors [Re: dvw] #1566926
01/23/14 11:06 AM
01/23/14 11:06 AM
Highland beach Fl
P
poisondart2 Offline
enthusiast
poisondart2  Offline
enthusiast
P

Highland beach Fl
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A- Body doors must be really heavy.Starting out my 64 Belvedere doors weighed 78 lbs each complete, and my car has window frames. I was able to lose nearly 30 by remove the regulators, gutting the inside and going to 1/8" Lexan. Removing the vent assembly would have taken out another 10lbs.
Doug

Trust me I had a 64 Sport Fury they weigh way more than the Dart I have now but probably as much as my 70 Cuda