12/16/13 12:37 PM
12/16/13 12:37 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Contrary to popular belief, the camshaft is not what makes a "lopey" idle....it's the exhaust system....Have you ever seen/heard a car with zoomies have a "lopey" idle??? NOPE....and you never will no matter what camshaft is in it....

Really,

so how do you explain that when you change cams from the stock one, and it idles fine, and then put a bigger one it, it lopes?? Everything remained the same except the cam????

Have to say, never heard this before.

Contrary to popular belief, the camshaft is not what makes a "lopey" idle....it's the exhaust system....Have you ever seen/heard a car with zoomies have a "lopey" idle??? NOPE....and you never will no matter what camshaft is in it....

More overlap in the new camshaft is just showing you how ineffecient your exhaust system is because now it's running on exhaust...

It's called reversion because the exhaust doesn't flow good enough...put zoomies on it and it won't have a "lopey" idle...

Another way to make one sound Joe Dirte "lopey" is to fatten the idle circuit a whole bunch and/or pull initial timing out of it...

The motor in the video sounds PERFECT and is what people should be aiming for....

Have you ever seen a sling shot or super comp dragster idle " lopey"??

I'm not buying your exhaust theory.... even with
open headers my cam sounds the same... and my headers
are made to the engine specs.... over lap causes
the lope

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Big Squeeze] #1548114
12/16/13 01:00 PM
12/16/13 01:00 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not the best video or sound quality but I bet my neighbors loved it lol. trying to decide if I like the way the cam sounds im thinkinging about changing it. I know its either putting one dominator on it or going with a tunnel ram

You have a 700hp 484" Hemi and you're wanting to swap cams because of the sound???? You're on crack! It sounds like it's supposed to! If you want a Joe Dirte "lopey" idle, put some small tube headers on it along with 2" exhaust and some really restrictive mufflers....

Really,

so how do you explain that when you change cams from the stock one, and it idles fine, and then put a bigger one it, it lopes?? Everything remained the same except the cam????

Have to say, never heard this before.

More overlap in the new camshaft is just showing you how ineffecient your exhaust system is because now it's running on exhaust...

It's called reversion because the exhaust doesn't flow good enough...put zoomies on it and it won't have a "lopey" idle...

Another way to make one sound Joe Dirte "lopey" is to fatten the idle circuit a whole bunch and/or pull initial timing out of it...

The motor in the video sounds PERFECT and is what people should be aiming for....

Have you ever seen a sling shot or super comp dragster idle " lopey"??

If that is the case, someone should tell those morons in PS and the AH cars they don't know that they are doing.

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: headhunter] #1548115
12/16/13 02:06 PM
12/16/13 02:06 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

not the best video or sound quality but I bet my neighbors loved it lol. trying to decide if I like the way the cam sounds im thinkinging about changing it. I know its either putting one dominator on it or going with a tunnel ram

Car looks familiar and sounds just fine to my ears although I`m just a def drummer..............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Thumperdart] #1548116
12/16/13 02:37 PM
12/16/13 02:37 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
sounds good and sure sounds like a happy engine

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Dodgeguy101] #1548117
12/16/13 02:42 PM
12/16/13 02:42 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

If that is the case, someone should tell those morons in PS and the AH cars they don't know that they are doing.

I've heard plenty of those cars idle in person and I never said they don't know what they were doing...They sound more like the motor in the posted video than they do the typical over cam'd/under exhausted small block Chevy at the local cruise night that has what's considered a "lopey" idle...and I'll bet you $10,000 that a Pro Stock and SS/AH car's idle will smooth out if you put zoomies on it....

There's a HUGE difference between a slightly erratic idle and what the average car guy considers "lopey"...The reason that a Pro Stock car and SS/AH Hemi have an erratic idle still boils down to exhaust flow....at idle it's just not moving fast enough in the header to get out so the motor sucks exhaust back in during overlap...You can put ANY cam you want into any motor with zoomies and it will not idle "lopey"... and what will actually happen is that with short zoomies the motor will suck in fresh air through the zoomies and run on that air as if it has a vacuum leak so you'll have to shut the throttle blades all the way... Been there, done that...

Quote:

the lope

It's not theory, it's fact....I've done it...

Put your motor on a test stand with zoomies or block hugger, shorty headers and run it and you'll see for yourself...Anything with a "lopey" idle will smooth right out with zoomies, but you need to be prepared to close the throttle blades all the way and it will still idle at 1,200-1,500RPM+ depending on how much overlap the cam has because it will be running on the fresh oxygen that it's pulling in through the headers.......

Overlap does cause the "lope" but because it's sucking exhaust in, correct?? So, the more restrictive or longer the exhaust system is, the more of a chance the motor has at sucking in exhaust during overlap.......your headers hold enough exhaust in them that the motor is trying to idle on it because airflow isn't fast enough to push exhaust out (at low RPM)...once the air speed picks up, the motor smooths out...

If every cylinder has the exact same lobe profile, why does the motor idle erratic if it's not sucking in exhaust??

Have you ever heard a car with zoomie headers idle with "lope"?? The answer is "no" and you never will......

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Big Squeeze] #1548118
12/16/13 03:51 PM
12/16/13 03:51 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

I've heard plenty of those cars idle in person and I never said they don't know what they were doing...They sound more like the motor in the posted video than they do the typical over cam'd/under exhausted small block Chevy at the local cruise night that has what's considered a "lopey" idle...and I'll bet you $10,000 that a Pro Stock and SS/AH car's idle will smooth out if you put zoomies on it....

There's a HUGE difference between a slightly erratic idle and what the average car guy considers "lopey"...The reason that a Pro Stock car and SS/AH Hemi have an erratic idle still boils down to exhaust flow....at idle it's just not moving fast enough in the header to get out so the motor sucks exhaust back in during overlap...You can put ANY cam you want into any motor with zoomies and it will not idle "lopey"... and what will actually happen is that with short zoomies the motor will suck in fresh air through the zoomies and run on that air as if it has a vacuum leak so you'll have to shut the throttle blades all the way... Been there, done that...

Quote:

the lope

Put your motor on a test stand with zoomies or block hugger, shorty headers and run it and you'll see for yourself...Anything with a "lopey" idle will smooth right out with zoomies, but you need to be prepared to close the throttle blades all the way and it will still idle at 1,200-1,500RPM+ depending on how much overlap the cam has because it will be running on the fresh oxygen that it's pulling in through the headers.......

Overlap does cause the "lope" but because it's sucking exhaust in, correct?? So, the more restrictive or longer the exhaust system is, the more of a chance the motor has at sucking in exhaust during overlap.......your headers hold enough exhaust in them that the motor is trying to idle on it because airflow isn't fast enough to push exhaust out (at low RPM)...once the air speed picks up, the motor smooths out...

If every cylinder has the exact same lobe profile, why does the motor idle erratic if it's not sucking in exhaust??

Have you ever heard a car with zoomie headers idle with "lope"?? The answer is "no" and you never will......

Over lap is drawing in part of the next fuel charge...
I put almost 2 identical cams with just different
LSA and the wide cam idled smooth with no lope at
all the 107 has the lope .. same engine with everything
the same except the cam LSA.... your entitled to
your opinion and I have mine... so I'll just let it
go at that

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1548119
12/16/13 05:14 PM
12/16/13 05:14 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
I need to change classes or get a lot faster

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1548120
12/16/13 08:56 PM
12/16/13 08:56 PM
NC
S
SLOW67 Offline
super stock
SLOW67  Offline
super stock
S

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the lope

go at that

Mr. P is right. I had this explained to me in depth when I was in school by a engineer from crane cams

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: sixpackgut] #1548121
12/16/13 09:04 PM
12/16/13 09:04 PM
ky
H
headhunter Offline OP
master
headhunter  Offline OP
master
H

ky
Quote:

I need to change classes or get a lot faster

lol you don't have to change classes because of this car the chassis is killer the motor is not im willing to say its a 10.50 car at BEST ive been kicking around the idea of selling my hemi and doing a gen 3 one with a turbo or two hanging off it just to try and get the car lighter.

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Big Squeeze] #1548122
12/16/13 09:12 PM
12/16/13 09:12 PM
ky
H
headhunter Offline OP
master
headhunter  Offline OP
master
H

ky
Quote:

Quote:

You have a 700hp 484" Hemi and you're wanting to swap cams because of the sound???? You're on crack! It sounds like it's supposed to! If you want a Joe Dirte "lopey" idle, put some small tube headers on it along with 2" exhaust and some really restrictive mufflers.... im not looking to put a 509 purple shaft cam in it I was on the fence about changing the cam when I was putting it back together I believe the cam I was going to change it to would make alittle more power and sound healthier to me as well its not much bigger than whats in it now. the cam that's in it now is a comp solid roller with a 246-246 at 50 and lift is 652=671 the cam im still thinking about is 260-258 at 50 and 715-720 lift both have a 110 separartion

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: headhunter] #1548123
12/16/13 09:15 PM
12/16/13 09:15 PM
ky
H
headhunter Offline OP
master
headhunter  Offline OP
master
H

ky
I changed the cam in my last hemi motor three times and ended up getting 45 more horse out of it. it made 850 on pump gas and sounded nasty . it was a 511 kieth black motor

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: headhunter] #1548124
12/16/13 09:16 PM
12/16/13 09:16 PM
MG, Brazil
v8punch Offline
enthusiast
v8punch  Offline
enthusiast

MG, Brazil
Looks like Bob Mazolini car...

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: v8punch] #1548125
12/16/13 09:23 PM
12/16/13 09:23 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Quote:

Looks like Bob Mazolini car...

It's not..It is my old Hoopty...Glad to see it going o be used.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Al_Alguire] #1548126
12/16/13 09:45 PM
12/16/13 09:45 PM
ky
H
headhunter Offline OP
master
headhunter  Offline OP
master
H

ky

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: headhunter] #1548127
12/16/13 09:47 PM
12/16/13 09:47 PM
ky
H
headhunter Offline OP
master
headhunter  Offline OP
master
H

ky
since it doesn't have ton of compression I even thought of a 76 mm turbo or two on it

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1548128
12/16/13 10:08 PM
12/16/13 10:08 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

go at that

I'm really not trying to sound like a butthead, but you're wrong...it's "lopey" with more overlap because it's pulling in more exhaust into the intake manifold...I'm sure you've heard of "reversion"? Reversion has nothing to do with "pulling in part of the next fuel charge"...I've done it...it's not my opinion...it's fact...next time your motor is out, run it on a test stand with zoomies or short, block hugger headers and you'll see I'm right...

Have you ever seen a motor that's got way too much overlap and the intake manifold and inside of the carb is black? That's soot from the exhaust...

You're the one working off theories and opinion, not me...I've actually done what I've described and it's 100% true...just try it...

You still haven't answered my question, so I'll ask it for a third time...Have you ever heard a sling shot dragster with zoomies idle "lopey"?? No, you have not...the only way a motor with zoomies will idle "lopey" is if the timing is really low and it's really fat...

I'm so confident in what I'm saying that I'll put my money where my mouth is...I'll put a motor on my run-in stand... Run it with long tube headers to show you the "lopey" idle and then install some block hugger headers to prove it smooths out and it will idle at least 300-400rpm higher with the throttle blades all the way shut...just put up 2K to make it worth my time and drive on down to Oologah, Oklahoma and collect your money...

BTW, I'll cover all bets if anyone wants to get in on the action??

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Big Squeeze] #1548129
12/16/13 10:43 PM
12/16/13 10:43 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

go at that

I'm really not trying to sound like a butthead, but you're wrong...it's "lopey" with more overlap because it's pulling in more exhaust into the intake manifold...I'm sure you've heard of "reversion"? Reversion has nothing to do with "pulling in part of the next fuel charge"...I've done it...it's not my opinion...it's fact...next time your motor is out, run it on a test stand with zoomies or short, block hugger headers and you'll see I'm right...

Have you ever seen a motor that's got way too much overlap and the intake manifold and inside of the carb is black? That's soot from the exhaust...

You're the one working off theories and opinion, not me...I've actually done what I've described and it's 100% true...just try it...

You still haven't answered my question, so I'll ask it for a third time...Have you ever heard a sling shot dragster with zoomies idle "lopey"?? No, you have not...the only way a motor with zoomies will idle "lopey" is if the timing is really low and it's really fat...

I'm so confident in what I'm saying that I'll put my money where my mouth is...I'll put a motor on my run-in stand... Run it with long tube headers to show you the "lopey" idle and then install some block hugger headers to prove it smooths out and it will idle at least 300-400rpm higher with the throttle blades all the way shut...just put up 2K to make it worth my time and drive on down to Oologah, Oklahoma and collect your money...

I dont know what it takes with you but I put 2 cams
in like I said... one wide LSA and no lope and one
with a tight LSA and it loped ALL the rest of the
engine same... but I'll go back and tell the cam lab
guys they have been wrong all these years... as well
as the cam companies
Oh..... I NEVER have black in the carb....
so lets just say you have your idea and I have mine
and let the guys think what they want... OK

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1548130
12/16/13 10:58 PM
12/16/13 10:58 PM
NC
S
SLOW67 Offline
super stock
SLOW67  Offline
super stock
S

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

go at that

as the cam companies

Ok, case in point. I stuck a cam in a friends 302 mustang a couple months ago. He was planning on changing over to a turbo so I told him a cam change would be a good Idea because he had a .552/.552 with 242 dur. and a 109 LSA. I told him it would bleed off boost bad with the large overlap. The old cam was killing his low end anyway because the compression was way down. I told him to look for something with a 112-114 LSA with alittle less duration and about the same lift. He settled on a .560 something ground on a 114LSA. He just about cussed me because the car didn't sit there an count them off anymore. Same engine, same MAC headers, same mufflers...all I changed was the cam and lifters.

Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: Big Squeeze] #1548131
12/16/13 11:29 PM
12/16/13 11:29 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

The air charge goes both ways. With lots of overlap, you get some exhaust in the intake manifold, AND you get fresh charge out the exhaust.

I agree that by changing header configurations you are going to change how the engine sounds and how efficient it is, and it will be most noticeable at idle, but to say the cam has no effect on idle stability is an incorrect statement. Fueling, ignition timing, cam timing, the intake manifold, compression ratio, accessory load, displacement, exhaust, etc...all have an effect on the "lope" of the motor.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: fired up my drag week prodject [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1548132
12/17/13 01:46 AM
12/17/13 01:46 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

as the cam companies

I don't know what it takes with you, but I've got $2,000 cash that says I'm right and your wrong....I'll PROVE it to you in person.....Come take my money....... If 2K isn't enough for you to fly or drive to Oklahoma, name the amount......3K?? 4K?? 5K?? Name it....... You're trying to nicely call me a liar, and I'm nicely trying to pay you to teach me a lesson........

I'm not saying that what you've done isn't happening........I believe you......but it's because of reversion.....the motor is idling on exhaust because more overlap is allowing more exhaust into the intake tract.......Do your test with zoomie headers or block hugger headers and see what happens........

Cam lab guys aren't working with zoomies.......Tell them to try zoomies and see what happens......

I never said your motor had black soot in the intake or carb....I've seen that on customer's cars and figured you may have seen that before?? Guess not...

I don't have an "idea" or "theory" like you've already said.......I have FACT.........and I'll prove that you're the one with "ideas" and "theories".....and I'll even pay you to prove me wrong.......

SLOW67..........You're not reading everything I'm saying......YES.....the camshaft will change the idle BUT it's because of reversion, not "pulling in part of the next fuel charge"

Blusmbl.....I agree......I never said that a camshaft doesn't effect the sound, or "lopeyness" of an idle.......All I'm saying is that you can take ANY motor with zoomies, and it won't have a "lopey" idle, unless timing is way retarded and it's very rich.....so, if I can prove to you guys that that's actually true, then it's the EXHAUST SYSTEM (including headers) and NOT so much the camshaft causing the "lopey" idle...AND THAT'S A FACT THAT I'LL WAGER ON

The OP's motor sounds perfect......and to change the camshaft just to TRY to get a different sound is crazy IMHO......

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4