10/22/13 10:16 AM
10/22/13 10:16 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
So I'm planning on doing a stroker motor for my super bee over the winter.
Here are the for sure things: Stealth heads, 383 rpm intake and holley 750.
Should I go with the Muscle Motors or 440source kits? I have a line on a 1973 400 block (have to see if it's ever been bored out though).
My car has manual steering/brakes and a 4 speed with 3.55's in the rearend right now. 295/50-15's are the rear tire size. Down the line (next year) I will get an 18 spline hemi box and a dana(with probably the same gear ratio ~3.54).
I drive my car a lot and have only taken it to the strip a few times (best run of only a 14.5 w/ my low compression motor). Must have decent street manors and get at least 20 mpg (jk about the mpgs ) It has stock hp manifolds on it, but I will probably get rid of those in favor of some headers.

The prices on the two kits are comparable, obviously a lot of people talk down on the 440source stuff but it is what it is. I mounted my heads on right out of the box and had no problems with it. Muscle motors search on here shows mixed opinions.
This is my first performance engine build so any input is welcome!
thanks
-devin

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521296
10/22/13 12:47 PM
10/22/13 12:47 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Both have quite good reputations, regardless of the internet posted crap.

Both use cranks and rods sourced from China, these are quite robust and haven't had any problems past the initial few years when machining was hit-or-miss. That's over now.

The 440Source kits use Icon forged pistons, a nice piston. I assume the Muscle Motors kits use an equally nice forged piston.

If you know exactly what you want, the 440Source kits are usually less expensive. The Muscle Motors kits have a big engine building shop behind them and could possibly help you with some questions more than the source.

R.

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: dogdays] #1521297
10/22/13 02:23 PM
10/22/13 02:23 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
1. Set a performance goal
2. Find a shop that does precision machine work
3. Have any kits that you do buy checked
4. Work with a pro when selecting your cam. Someone that is familiar with mopars.
5. Keep compression 9.5-10 with cast iron 10-10.5 aluminum heads
6. Keep quench around .040

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: dannysbee] #1521298
10/22/13 02:41 PM
10/22/13 02:41 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Pplease consider adding Dan Costello Moparts member Performance Only to your list of potential stroker kit suppliers

Quality and service SECOND TO NONE

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: dannysbee] #1521299
10/22/13 11:40 PM
10/22/13 11:40 PM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

1. Set a performance goal
2. Find a shop that does precision machine work
3. Have any kits that you do buy checked
4. Work with a pro when selecting your cam. Someone that is familiar with mopars.
5. Keep compression 9.5-10 with cast iron 10-10.5 aluminum heads
6. Keep quench around .040

I want to run mid to low 12's. I will likely have to switch up gear ratio and tire size though??
I have a good machine shop to double check whatever I end up getting, along with doing my machine work.

The cam is another thing that I need to know about.

Thanks

I went to performance only website and there is pretty much nothing on there. I need to be able to read all the info on what all is in the kits.

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521300
10/23/13 12:17 AM
10/23/13 12:17 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

So I'm planning on doing a stroker motor for my super bee over the winter.
Here are the for sure things: Stealth heads, 383 rpm intake and holley 750.
Should I go with the Muscle Motors or 440source kits? I have a line on a 1973 400 block (have to see if it's ever been bored out though).
My car has manual steering/brakes and a 4 speed with 3.55's in the rearend right now. 295/50-15's are the rear tire size. Down the line (next year) I will get an 18 spline hemi box and a dana(with probably the same gear ratio ~3.54).
I drive my car a lot and have only taken it to the strip a few times (best run of only a 14.5 w/ my low compression motor). Must have decent street manors and get at least 20 mpg (jk about the mpgs ) It has stock hp manifolds on it, but I will probably get rid of those in favor of some headers.

The prices on the two kits are comparable, obviously a lot of people talk down on the 440source stuff but it is what it is. I mounted my heads on right out of the box and had no problems with it. Muscle motors search on here shows mixed opinions.
This is my first performance engine build so any input is welcome!
thanks
-devin

I'm sure there are more than one C.I. strokers kits avaible for the low deck 400 blocks, 452 C.I., 470 C.I., 496 and 505 to 512 C.I. depending on the bore and stroker sizes on all of them , how big do you want to go to now? I like the 4.25 stroke kits n the 400 blocks . I have built and driven several of them(4.25 stroke 400 blocks, 505 to 512 C.I.) in the last ten years, the increase in C.I. from a 383 to a 451 should amaze you , the 512 will absolutely shock the beejesues out of you On the four speed car I would buy another set of wheels that match the current ones you have on the rear and put a god set of bias ply street legal DOT drag tires on them for the days you want to be shoved way back in the seat when you nail the throttle to the floor instead of going sideways in a cloud of smoke from the radials I've had both types of the same tires on my 727 automatic Duster with a pump gas 512 low deck, it would flat boil the 315x60x15 M/T ET Street radials on the street, not so on the same size(13.50x30x15) ET Street Bias ply tires The radials where faster on a good track, not so on the streets I drive on around here. The bias plys might spin a 1/4 to 2 full turns on the hit and then hook and stay hooked, the radials would not recover once they started to spin in any gear, I would have to let off to keep from going sidewasy into the other lane with the radials on the back The four speed will be much worst on the street than my 727 was

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521301
10/23/13 12:18 AM
10/23/13 12:18 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
A 9:1 E-headed zero deck 496 with an MP509 should get you there on 87 Reg. Good for 500 HP on my 440 based 493.

Kevin

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521302
10/23/13 02:20 AM
10/23/13 02:20 AM
SK,Canada
gregsrt Offline
top fuel
gregsrt  Offline
top fuel

SK,Canada
I just had Muscle Motors build me a short block this Summer. The workmanship looks very good. I wish now that I would have just got them to build a complete engine because was starting from scratch. Call Eric and double check the prices, the website needs to be updated. I went 512 in a 400 block, stealth heads, 383 RPM intake. Mike @ MM picked the cam and they installed it too. I can't wait till next Spring.

7897330-512Oct2113.jpg (415 downloads)

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. Thomas Jefferson
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: gregsrt] #1521303
10/23/13 12:48 PM
10/23/13 12:48 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Build the biggest shortblock you can afford. The 4.25" stroke, 6.535" rod combo seems to work really well.
R.

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: dogdays] #1521304
10/23/13 04:59 PM
10/23/13 04:59 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
Goals are mid to low 12's....

A 451 will get you there in quick order, and you could easily source the parts yourself and save about $500 over a "kit". Thats exactly what I did, and my motor has proven to be rock solid. My car is perfectly streetable and runs solidly into the 11's. For an extra $100 or so, you can offset grind the crank, and build a 470. The few hundred you save will be enough to invest in a bigger carb (you're gonna need it).

I spent right around 5k on my motor a few years ago. I used a forged 413 crank sorced off Craigslist. I ran across a 230 casting 400 block on craigslist. Got an Engle solid cam / lifters / springs through Moparts member Jeff Patterson. Bought the rest of it online (Iconn pistons w/ Mahle rings; Scat Rods; Source Stealth heads; etc....)

It was a fun build and I'm real happy with it.

Last edited by StealthWedge67; 10/23/13 05:02 PM.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: Streetwize] #1521305
10/23/13 05:08 PM
10/23/13 05:08 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Pplease consider adding Dan Costello Moparts member Performance Only to your list of potential stroker kit suppliers

Quality and service SECOND TO NONE

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521306
10/23/13 05:13 PM
10/23/13 05:13 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I went to performance only website and there is pretty much nothing on there. I need to be able to read all the info on what all is in the kits.

Humans are visual creatures but this is one of those cases where you are better off CALLING Dan , telling him what you want to do and what your goals are , Dan will ask you a few questions and tell you exactly what you need without trying to sell you something you don't need.

I prefer to SPEAK to people instead of just blindly ordering something online , that way you get EXACTLY what you want/need instead of wasting your time, and money, getting the wrong part ... or worse having to send parts back ON YOUR DIME WHEN THE PARTS ARE OBVIOUSLY SUB STANDARD ....

was that internet crap enough

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521307
10/23/13 07:03 PM
10/23/13 07:03 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
B
BB73Challenger Offline
BB73Challenger  Offline
B

Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:

I want to run mid to low 12's. I will likely have to switch up gear ratio and tire size though??

I drove 40 miles each way to the track in my street trim Challenger boasting 4 speed and a 499 ci 440 source kit & 400 block.
3:55 rear, Indy Firehawk street tires.
Rolled through the traps and still got into the 12's ( drop the clutch and blow the tires off the line )
Your combo will have NO problems with a well built mill.
Frankly I like the 3:55 gear and would not go steeper for freeway drivin'

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: JohnRR] #1521308
10/23/13 07:42 PM
10/23/13 07:42 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Humans are visual creatures but this is one of those cases where you are better off CALLING Dan , telling him what you want to do and what your goals are , Dan will ask you a few questions and tell you exactly what you need without trying to sell you something you don't need.

I prefer to SPEAK to people instead of just blindly ordering something online , that way you get EXACTLY what you want/need instead of wasting your time, and money, getting the wrong part ... or worse having to send parts back ON YOUR DIME WHEN THE PARTS ARE OBVIOUSLY SUB STANDARD ....

John, As you know, anybody can ship out boxed up parts and reap the rewards without any personal liability for said parts. If there's a problem it goes back to the manufacturer, and for the most part people will end up paying the freight and often times the repair costs.
Where we try to excel is by selling complete kits that are thoroughly checked out to make sure there's no problems, we balance the assembly and set the rod bearing clearances, provide torque specs for the rods. (we disassemble clean, cycle the bolts and then stretch the bolt to proper length and note the torque needed) and verify the actual bearing clearances for the intended application.
Obviously we charge more for all the extra work, but when you buy one of our kits the only clearances you need to check are the main bearings. all the other work is done for you.
We've sold a lot of kits to Moparts members and the fact that I haven't heard a single bad word about our kits is something I'm proud of.
Many people shop by lowest price alone and I fully understand that. If lowest price is what you need, so be it, but if you want a true no hassle rotating assembly, that's where we shine.

Last edited by Performance Only; 10/23/13 07:43 PM.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: Performance Only] #1521309
10/23/13 09:05 PM
10/23/13 09:05 PM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John, As you know, anybody can ship out boxed up parts and reap the rewards without any personal liability for said parts. If there's a problem it goes back to the manufacturer, and for the most part people will end up paying the freight and often times the repair costs.
Where we try to excel is by selling complete kits that are thoroughly checked out to make sure there's no problems, we balance the assembly and set the rod bearing clearances, provide torque specs for the rods. (we disassemble clean, cycle the bolts and then stretch the bolt to proper length and note the torque needed) and verify the actual bearing clearances for the intended application.
Obviously we charge more for all the extra work, but when you buy one of our kits the only clearances you need to check are the main bearings. all the other work is done for you.
We've sold a lot of kits to Moparts members and the fact that I haven't heard a single bad word about our kits is something I'm proud of.
Many people shop by lowest price alone and I fully understand that. If lowest price is what you need, so be it, but if you want a true no hassle rotating assembly, that's where we shine.

I'll try to call you up this week. My problem with not being able to see/read what I'm getting is I work nights and sleep all day. So I can't really call because everything is closed. Except every three weeks I get 5 days off in a row and that would be this current week.
Thanks everyone else for all the comments. I guess once I pick everything else out I will ask about cam selection (509 was one suggestion on here so far).

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521310
10/23/13 10:20 PM
10/23/13 10:20 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
as was said before build the biggest and best bottom end you can afford. you will eventually get the bug to upgrade and once the bottom end is solid you can do that easily. supercharger, done. nitrous, no problem, better heads, you betcha. we sell our girdle kits to help keep your bottom end together. since you going to at least line hone the mains, adding good caps now will save you some hassle later when you need them. our girdle kits are specially designed to keep everything in place and its the strongest out there and it works with all the stroker cranks.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: 68KillerBee] #1521311
10/23/13 10:43 PM
10/23/13 10:43 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll try to call you up this week. My problem with not being able to see/read what I'm getting is I work nights and sleep all day. So I can't really call because everything is closed. Except every three weeks I get 5 days off in a row and that would be this current week.
Thanks everyone else for all the comments. I guess once I pick everything else out I will ask about cam selection (509 was one suggestion on here so far).

I don't know if I would recommend that cam or not but it did make the number .

Kevin

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: Twostick] #1521312
10/24/13 09:57 AM
10/24/13 09:57 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Dan has an excellent rep here, and would be my choice. I have learned a lot from his posts in the ten+ years I have been on this board.
You won't go wrong going as big as you can on cubes. Heavy street cars with 3.54 gears need torque, and a 512 has the most. Pick your desired manners, then decide what type of cam, then cam specs, then the rest of the parts. The compression can then be decided on once you pick the cam, along with the style of intake manifold and headers. There are so many possible combinations that it is best to do it in this order.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: gregsdart] #1521313
10/24/13 10:24 AM
10/24/13 10:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The price for basic rotating assemblies is the same so going big is a no brainer.

Re: 400 Stroker Build Suggestions [Re: ] #1521314
10/24/13 11:22 AM
10/24/13 11:22 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Dan took the 4.15" crank I bought off of JohnRR and expertly ground it to 4.300" to drop in my 517. Set it in the block, torqued the caps and it spun like it was on roller bearings.

http://youtu.be/jd8GeXYYkKU

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6