Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Darryl had already hit the road, the pits were thinning out, and Robert (6pak2go, Moparts) drove his black rental Charger over and parked by our area.
"Do you mind hanging out with us for a while today?" I asked him, "we may have a few passengers for you depending on what happens with the Gremlin!"
"I told you I was up for whatever", he grinned, "I wanted to find out what Drag Week is all about!"

Boone with the Truck, and Dale with the Satellite made it to the lanes just in time. Many of the faster cars were struggling for traction on the greasy, hot track, so they were calling to shut down for 30 minutes at 11:30 to allow the track crew time to prep it for a last ditch onslaught!

Dale got the Satellite through 1st and 2nd great, but when he hit drive it laid over badly and struggled to a 12.35 at only 101. Boone rolled up in the last pair before the shutdown, the big 508 cleaned all the road carbon out of the fender exit headers, and belched it out on the starting line as the front end clawed angrily at the air. The Barnyard Viper made a rare move toward the center line, as proof that traction wasn't at a premium, and meandered downtrack to an 11.54-115, not exactly stellar, but I knew Boone would take it and call his lone attempt good. We had already watched Mike Cox and his BBC powered Henry J make an ugly 11.03-108 with smoke trailing after him, and he was the Gasser class leader, if he couldn't continue Boone would move into third place, and have a chance to go home with some hardware, so survive and move on was the game at this point.

"Ran out of fuel?" I questioned Dale, as he parked the Satellite and handed me the slip.
"Nope...ran out of nitrous, need another bottle!"
"Well, crap! It was on a nice run", I shrugged as I looked at the early numbers.

40 minutes later, Dale went 11.79 at only 114 in Darren's Charger, and was shaking his head when he parked in our pits.
"What the heck is going on around here?" He put his hands in the air, "Both of you let me drive your cars, but only give me 1000ft. worth of nitrous to play with!"
"We know how to keep you from breaking stuff!" I laughed.
Once Darren removed the bottle from his trunk, I gave the two empties to Rachael and sent her off to get them re-filled at Monte's rig. I had spares, but they had been hanging out in the pits all day, in the heat, and sure enough, too much bottle pressure, and the nitrous solenoid couldn't overcome it, so we decided to call it a day.

I was walking around to the tower to turn in my time slip, when Tom Bailey pulled his Camaro into the water for the fourth time today, and up until now he only had a 7.95 to show for his effort. With an hour of track time left in the day, he finally got it right and went 6.97-212 to keep his Drag Week dream intact for another day. Dale, on the other hand idled into the beams with the Gremlin, then the car wouldn't even move when the tree came down, while that was good enough to allow him to take a twenty flat and move on, he had already decided his Drag Week dream for 2013 was done!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515832
11/14/13 01:47 AM
11/14/13 01:47 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Theres my high school classmates slow white Dart. LOL. I think Billy has a Go-Pro going 24/7 so he can remember the whole week.BTW thanks for throwing me under the bus on the fastest DW car thread.Ya Dork.

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: ksj] #1515833
11/18/13 08:35 PM
11/18/13 08:35 PM
Australia
drag345 Offline
drag345  Offline

Australia
Thanks for writing this Billy you do a fantastic job ,as close as I am ever going to be to being there !!!
Can,t wait for the next installment.
Hope the stars of your story ,your family are doing well

Bring on some more

drag370

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515834
11/18/13 11:28 PM
11/18/13 11:28 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
When I turned in my slip, the conversation in the tower was the Daily Driver bump, and I was shocked to find out it was projecting to be around twelve flat! We had figured our twelve thirties and forties were in the ballpark, and we hadn't been paying attention apparently. I talked with the track manager about options for leaving the Gremlin behind, and he was very helpful with a few possible solutions, so I started to feel like abandoning the car was a viable option, as we had Robert available to transport the misplaced driver and trunk monkey.

When I returned to the pits, Dale was working the phone with a friend of a friend who lived in St. Louis. He is a mopar guy who Dad built a 727 for a year or two ago, and fortunately for us it worked well, so he was willing to drop everything he was doing on a Wednesday afternoon, hook up to his car trailer, and come pick up the Gremlin at a moments notice!

Once again, we went through the process of what to leave behind in the Gremlin, and what to take with us. Since the Gremlin hadn't really been carrying it's own weight anyway (excepting Dale's fat butt, and that's asking plenty) it was more a matter of just jettisoning a few things the rest of us had been carrying that were crucial to the Gremlin's survival. The keys to Dale's truck and trailer in Bowling Green probably should have been one of the items removed from the Gremlin, but that's a bridge we will cross later in the story!

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515835
11/19/13 12:34 AM
11/19/13 12:34 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We were sorting through our stuff, loading up to head out, and I decided I would grab the trusty 12 volt air compressor, and top off everyone's tires, but a quick search through two trunks yielded only the empty box.
"Rachael, have you seen the air compressor?" I questioned.
"Yeah, I loaned it to the Aussies with the Charger while you were in the tower", she pointed.
In the middle of the mostly vacant pits sat the silver Valiant Charger of John Faraone, still on jack stands. I made my way over and could hear the little compressor hammering away on the opposite side of the car.
"I was just checking to see if you were done with the air compressor?" I asked as I pointed at it.
"No Mate, we just started on this side...it took about 30 minutes for the other one", he laughed, "so we'll bring it over when we finish up!"
"No problem", I shrugged, "We have plenty to do before we leave anyway." It was almost comical looking at the tiny compressor shaking on the ground next to the big balloon slick tucked under the twin turbocharged A-body. Apparently they had pulled the axles to work on the rearend, and those monster tires won't come off while inflated!

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515836
11/19/13 11:59 PM
11/19/13 11:59 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I had finished packing the interior of Darren's Charger full of stuff I didn't want weighing down the Satellite when a dark colored Toyota rental car pulled up next to our pit area. Keith Turk stepped out of the car and questioned Dale, "Hey, why didn't you come to the tower and turn in your time slip from the Gremlin?"
"Well, it's broke and we're abandoning, so I didn't see the point..." Dale started.
"Hate to hear that", Keith offered, "We really like that little car!"
"I told him he should turn it in so everyone will know he at least made it here, but he didn't want to screw up his average!" I interjected.
"I agree with him", Keith pointed at me, "At least turn it in and make it one more step."
"Ah, it's really no big deal..." Dale tried to avoid it.
"Get in the car, Sugar Britches, I'll give you a ride over to the tower, and we'll take care of it, then you can decide what to do with the car after that!"
Dale busted out laughing, actually we all did, the sight of Keith, who is nearly a foot shorter, and a good 100lbs lighter than Dale, calling him Sugar Britches was just hilarious.

7930094-100_0931.jpg (97 downloads)

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515837
11/20/13 12:40 AM
11/20/13 12:40 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
JMHO Dave can be a pain in the butt.Finnegan is alright. But Keith and Tonya Turk are the best thing that HotRod Magazine brings to DragWeek.Great people."Sugar Britches" I will remember that.

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515838
11/20/13 01:13 AM
11/20/13 01:13 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We made quick work of loading the Gremlin after Eric arrived, but, of course, he wanted a tour of the Barnyard Viper. Everyone enjoys checking out the Truck!

Darren had already left, with a plan to hit a parts store for both him and Boone. Rachael and I were loading up in the Satellite when I heard Boone ask Dale to be his co-driver in the Truck for a while. Dad didn't seem to mind, that meant he was riding in an air conditioned car with Robert and James, two guys who haven't heard ANY of his myriad of stories! A fresh and captive audience, he relishes that type of opportunity! Robert followed Boone into a gas station across from the track, but I figured I had quite a bit left, and I wanted to start eating into the three hundred miles on our route sheet, so I continued on the course.

Seven or eight miles down the road Il-3 merged with Mississippi Ave. and a big, tan 73 Charger popped along side me from the other street. Darren waved, and went ahead of me for about four or five miles more then he abruptly pulled to the shoulder of the road. I pulled past him, parked, and walked back as he quickly opened the hood.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"Breather is on fire! Get me a wrench, it's already too hot for me to get the top off with my hand..."
I grabbed a wrench for him, then held the hood up while he fought to get it off. The element was smoking pretty good by the time he removed the top, then huffed and puffed until it was out.
"What the heck caused that?"
"It vapor locked, then backfired when I tried to restart it", he shook his head, "It's just too hot out here, we need to find a spot to eat, and get off the road!" He exclaimed.
"Robert, Dad, and those guys are working on it", I agreed, "They've been in contact with Rachael already, heck the old Satellite is running at 210, it's just miserable out here."
Luckily, once we got rolling again, we were on a stretch of road that allowed us to run about 45-50, and had no stop lights. Everything seemed pretty smooth for ten more miles until the Satellite burbled and died, apparently my fuel calculations were flawed!

7930187-100_0933.jpg (135 downloads)

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515839
11/20/13 12:24 PM
11/20/13 12:24 PM
Gilbert AZ
tsanchez Offline
enthusiast
tsanchez  Offline
enthusiast

Gilbert AZ
Great read, I check back here every day to see what you wrote. Probably why I had this weird dream last night. So in this dream were at the hotel and I come up to the truck and you guys are all standing around and tell me that Darryl is up in the room with my hooker, I say what I didnt get no hooker what are you guys talking about then it cuts to us looking at satellite with a blown engine and you tell me that I moved the fuel reg setting and now you blew the engine after changing the nitrous jets. Ha, then were on a damn ship that you are working on the generator carb and blowing it out with some tiny compressor and I tell you that things not gonna work you need a real compressor, then I woke up. I honestly felt bad about blowing up your engine

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: tsanchez] #1515840
11/20/13 12:45 PM
11/20/13 12:45 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
Lets hear More about the hooker in your dreams...

Old Geezer Racing
Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1515841
11/20/13 12:59 PM
11/20/13 12:59 PM
Gilbert AZ
tsanchez Offline
enthusiast
tsanchez  Offline
enthusiast

Gilbert AZ
Quote:

I didnt see her, she was with Darryl or was it Darren, I cant remember now

Last edited by tsanchez; 11/20/13 01:01 PM.
Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: tsanchez] #1515842
11/20/13 11:04 PM
11/20/13 11:04 PM
Glendale Az
D
Darryls-Demon Offline
super stock
Darryls-Demon  Offline
super stock
D

Glendale Az
Quote:

Quote:

I didnt see her, she was with Darryl or was it Darren, I cant remember now

She most have been with Darren!

Ok Tony I can tell you have participated in one too many Drag weeks.

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515843
11/21/13 12:58 AM
11/21/13 12:58 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I pulled off on the shoulder, with Darren behind me, and started to call Boone. The phone rang twice, then I saw the Barnyard Viper coming around a corner about a half mile behind us. He pulled over, grabbed one of the 5 gallon fuel jugs from the bed, and walked it up to me.
"Didn't find a station up this way?" He smirked.
"Forgot all about it once we got rolling", I laughed, "where's Robert and Dad?"
"They went ahead to scout for a place to stop and eat, I think they found something behind a Ford dealership about six more miles up the road."
"That's good, I'm ready for a break from this heat!"
"Yeah, I think we all are, it's been a miserable day for sure."

We followed Boone behind the Ford dealer, and pulled into a large parking lot in front of a huge pre-fab metal building that looked like an auto shop, the big sign out front read "Bobeck's Sports Bar and Grille". Suddenly I had a Charley Daniel's Band song running through my head, something about a flat tire, kicking old green teeth in the knee, and such, this was definitely not what I expected. Last year we took Rachael to a nice Shreveport Seafood Restaurant for her 23rd birthday, as she was having a great Drag Week in the Belvedere. Now she's riding with me in the Satellite, and we're about to celebrate her 24th in a Waterloo Il. sports bar. I may have to re-evaluate my initial assessment of Robert, I mean, his Challenger is awesome, and he comes off as smart and articulate, a great guy to hang out with so far... but what the heck did he just get us into?
Robert opened the door as I walked up, and apparently I have a lousy poker face.
"It's nice and cool inside, and they have a full menu, American standards, lot's of variety, I think you'll like it... not many choices on this road", he assured me.
I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, and actually he was right. We practically had the run of the place to ourselves, the music and televisions were muted to a comfortable level, and the food was excellent. Rachael was the only one who took advantage of the available alcohol, which helped her mood considerably!

It was still plenty warm when we hit the road an hour and twenty minutes later, but everyone seemed to have a little more tolerance for it after the needed break, and good meal. We once again headed down Il-3, a beautiful, picturesque little two lane that runs practically parallel with I-55, but on the opposite side of the Mississippi River. We found ourselves enjoying this road immensely as it meandered along, cradled between the big river, and the Trail of Tears State Forest, simply an amazing drive that had us lamenting the fading sun as it dipped behind the trees. Then Darren ran out of gas, and put us on the shoulder again, we are certainly consistent!

7931252-100_0934.jpg (97 downloads)

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515844
11/21/13 01:10 AM
11/21/13 01:10 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
You guys really need to get your head out of the gutter! Drag Week is about comradery, fast cars, great drag strips and great drives, not about girls!

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515845
11/21/13 01:43 AM
11/21/13 01:43 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
You "could" have gone across the street to the NASCAR checkpoint but NO.......................That was a testosterone checkpoint.LOL.Te good old Pony.

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515846
11/21/13 11:22 AM
11/21/13 11:22 AM
Gilbert AZ
tsanchez Offline
enthusiast
tsanchez  Offline
enthusiast

Gilbert AZ
Quote:

You guys really need to get your head out of the gutter! Drag Week is about comradery, fast cars, great drag strips and great drives, not about girls!

I found it quite peculier that my car chose that place to break down, killed the battery, msd box, and wide band module. Everyone stopped to help though One guy even went as far as to bring one of the girls out to see the cars.

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515847
11/21/13 03:06 PM
11/21/13 03:06 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
Quote:

Hey I thought maybe the Hooker was delivering the Pizza

Old Geezer Racing
Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515848
11/21/13 11:42 PM
11/21/13 11:42 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
As Tony and Don alluded, The Pony, just across the Mississippi River from Cape Girardeau Missouri, was checkpoint one. We had ran most of the first 125 miles of the route by ourselves, but the parking lot had quite a few other drag weekers on it when we arrived. James was impressed with Eric Yost's keg trailer, but not with riding in the rental car! He was begging to take over driving or co-driving duties in the Satellite, but Rachael and I resisted the offer.

The route put us onto I-55 south for a nice easy 70 mile run through Missouri, then we caught the I-155 to Dyersburg Tennessee, it was a really easy, smooth run, but it was still a hundred miles in a 45 year old car. As usual, the truck continued to get attention from the locals.

7932237-100_0939.jpg (102 downloads)

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515849
11/23/13 12:53 PM
11/23/13 12:53 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We left Dyersburg on US-51 South, which would take us right by checkpoint #2, and then directly to the Quality Inn in Millington, just a few miles from Memphis International Raceway. Essentially we could mail it in from there, but it was still a 70 mile drive, and I was feeling pretty wrung out from a long hot day in the saddle. We rolled into Covington and staged our rides up for pictures at 11:00pm, and still 30 miles to go, so I decided to take James up on his offer, and let him drive the Satellite the rest of the way in, I mean what could possibly go wrong in a thirty mile straight shot?

I was surprised that at this hour there were a few guys sitting around on their tail gates watching the cars come in, and two of the competitors were still hanging out taking pictures, apparently they had more energy left than I did!

7933670-100_0941.jpg (106 downloads)

Re: Drag Week 2013: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1515850
11/23/13 02:01 PM
11/23/13 02:01 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I hopped in the passenger's seat of the black rental charger, pulled the seatbelt across me and clipped in. Dad was in the back, and was pretty quiet.
"I think he's out" Robert laughed as we rolled down the road, "He kept James and I pretty entertained".
We had left before the rest of the gang, and we were moving along pretty good, but the Charger cancelled out the road so well I felt like I was sitting on a couch having a conversation. Robert and I were just talking about the trip so far when he suddenly said, "Hmm, that car is coming up pretty fast, I hope it's not a cop, I was a little over back there..." he didn't finish his sentence before the back of the car lit up like a Christmas tree!
"Good grief" Robert exclaimed, "I haven't had a ticket in like five years or more, my wife is going to kill me!"
The officer walked up to the window with his flash light drawn and resting on his shoulder, ready to swing. He looked 16, about 5"7' and had barely enough meat on his bones to hold up his holster
"I pulled you over 'cause you were 15 over back there, where y'all going".
"We're going to Memphis, for a race tomorrow sir. We've been to Bowling Green, then Indy, then St. Louis, we've put a lot of miles in this week and I just got a little tired officer, I apologize..."
"Do you have your paperwork, and I need both your licenses", the officer cut in.
"Yes sir, this is a rental, we are from Arizona, it's been a long trip, I just kinda lost track of my speed, I'm sorry for that, just got in a hurry to get to the motel ahead in Millington, just ready to call it a night..."
"Yes, yes, Ok, ok...I'll be back in a second", the officer cut in again, and quickly headed back to his car, clearly worried Robert was going to start talking again!
The BV, Charger, and Satellite drove by and I was reminded of the scene in Two Lane blacktop when GTO got pulled over after the Driver ratted him out.
The officer came back and returned our licenses. "Mr Reynolds, I'm just going to give you a warning. I see you have an AZ license, a Kentucky rental car, and here you are in Tennessee, so I believe your story about driving all day, just be careful into Millington."
"I certainly appreciate it officer", Robert stuck his hand out as if to shake.
The kid jerked back from the door, and put his hand on his gun, "Uh...we don't do that sir...it's not allowed", he stuttered, clearly flustered.
"Sorry", Robert apologized again, "It's been a long time since I've been pulled over, have a good night officer."
He threw the warning on the dash as we pulled away, "Got out of a ticket, but nearly got shot", he laughed.
Suddenly I could hear the sultry voice of Shemekia Copeland singing in my head, "Never Goin' Back to Memphis..."

7933739-100_0945.jpg (106 downloads)

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13