03/30/05 12:43 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

here's the question:
if my distributor needs indexing or re phaseing how do you move or adjust the roter? it's a mp performance dist. is there a way to rotate the shaft under the rotor with out moving the shaft with the reluctor pressed onto it. is it a 2 piece shaft or something? i am going to cut a slot in my cap and shine the light in to check it. if it seems like it's off i just wanted to know how to reline it up closer. thanks.

KNOLEDGE IS POWER I need to learn how to spell first huh?

Re: distributer indexing how to do it? #15043
03/30/05 01:40 PM
03/30/05 01:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

am i on the right track? does what i say make sense? do i have a small grasp on the issue? anyway it's something i would like to learn.

Re: distributer indexing how to do it? #15044
03/30/05 03:18 PM
03/30/05 03:18 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Quote:

here's the question:
if my distributor needs indexing or re phaseing how do you move or adjust the roter? it's a mp performance dist. is there a way to rotate the shaft under the rotor with out moving the shaft with the reluctor pressed onto it. is it a 2 piece shaft or something? i am going to cut a slot in my cap and shine the light in to check it. if it seems like it's off i just wanted to know how to reline it up closer. thanks.

KNOLEDGE IS POWER I need to learn how to spell first huh?

There is nothing in the design that is intended to allow the end user to phase the rotor to the cap segments. However, there are several ways it can be done. First, however, determine if it is really necessary.

Cut an old cap so that you can see the rotor to cap segment phasing and the reluctor to pickup relationship. Line one of the reluctor points up with the pickup and see where the rotor is pointing. Ideal phasing depends on several factors. If you do not use vacuum advance and you do not use multiple spark ignition, the best phasing is to have the rotor point directly at the cap segment when the reluctor point is lined up with the pickup. If you use vacuum advance, the rotor blade should be a little (about half the blade width) late so that when the vacuum advance is engaged it pulls the blade back to the center of the segment. If you use multispark ignition, it is better to have the blade a little early (about half the blade width) so that the blade is still lined up with the segment during all the sparks. But if you use both vacuum and multispark the two cancel each other and you want the blade pointing directly at the segment again. Other factors may also influence the ideal phasing (such as intended use of the engine) but these are good starting points.

If you need to change the phasing you have three choices: purchase a special reluctor with extra roll pin grooves machined in the I.D., machine extra grooves yourself, or, if you're careful, you can slightly bend the arm on the pickup so that it lines up with the reluctor points either later or earlier. If you bend the pickup, make sure you reset the gap afterward.

Designing a better mouse trap always seems to lead to the evolution of smarter mice. www.robbmcperformance.com
Re: distributer indexing how to do it? [Re: RobbMc] #15045
03/30/05 04:44 PM
03/30/05 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Robbmc,
thank you very much for the reply. i learned something from it. question: are you the one who works for mallory??? your name and older posts here on moparts rings a bell. any way thanks. the mp distributer is a nice one. i like the adjustable mechanical advance.

Re: distributer indexing how to do it? #15046
03/30/05 05:01 PM
03/30/05 05:01 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Quote:

Robbmc,
thank you very much for the reply. i learned something from it. question: are you the one who works for mallory??? your name and older posts here on moparts rings a bell. any way thanks. the mp distributer is a nice one. i like the adjustable mechanical advance.

Yes, I am the Mallory engineer that designed the new style MP distributors (there are also two billet versions). They all use the Mallory "YH" adjustable mechanical advance.
However, I am no longer employed at Mallory/Erson (Mr. Gasket). I am currently working for Dura-Bond bearing company.

Designing a better mouse trap always seems to lead to the evolution of smarter mice. www.robbmcperformance.com
Re: distributer indexing how to do it? [Re: RobbMc] #15047
03/30/05 05:17 PM
03/30/05 05:17 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

robbmc,
you should come with your own version/brand distributor market it and cater to us mopar folks. too many distributors and parts out there that are only for chevy and ford. at least mopar parts are kinda hard to find. not listed in catalogs unless you call them. thanks for the information. your awesome.

Re: distributer indexing how to do it? #15048
03/30/05 06:41 PM
03/30/05 06:41 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Glad to help. In the near future I may just team up with another board member and design/manufacture some unique Mopar parts. We'll see..................