03/11/05 07:29 PM
03/11/05 07:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am building a VERY faithful copy of a '68 Hemi Dart. I have a few questions.

What size tire was correct? Brand?

Was the underside of the car painted, or was it primer like the rest of the body?

What was used as a rear package tray/cover, and did they use the standard "board stock" behind the rear seat?

I know the front was van seats and there was no back seat, how did the carpet go?

Where can I find more info on this car?

Thank you for all your help, This is an awesome site!!!

Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14983
03/11/05 08:30 PM
03/11/05 08:30 PM
The Wet Coast, Canada
megajoltman Offline
master
megajoltman  Offline
master

The Wet Coast, Canada
Here's some info I've found

CHRYSLER ANNOUNCEMENT LETTER
1968 SUPER STOCK BARRACUDA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20, 1968
TO: All Plymouth Dealers

Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock

The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in
supervised acceleration trials. These cars will weigh approximately 3,000 pounds and have been designed to meet
the 1968 specifications of the major sanctioning drag strip organizations.

The Hemi-Powered Barracudas will be available through production is limited quantities in March. To order this
vehicle, use the Barracuda Order Form and specify Body Code BO29 and Transmission Code, either 4 Speed
Manual, Code 393, or Automatic, Code 395. No other specifications are necessary.

Description of Components

426 cu. In. 8-cylinder engine with dual 4-barrel carburetors- 12.5 to 1
compression ratio.

Cross Ram Intake manifold.

1 11/16" x 1 11/16" Holley carburetors.

Competition Hooker headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers.

High capacity oil pump.

Roller timing chain (reduced timing chain stretch for more consistent
engine performance).

Mechanical valve gear.

Dual breaker distributor.

Transistor ignition.

Metal core type ignition wires.

Unsilenced air cleaners.

Deep groove fan drive pulleys.

Heavy duty radiator.

Aluminum seven-blade fan equipped with Viscous drive.

Special offset 15" rear wheels.

Chrysler-built 8 ¾" large stem pinion gear set, and heavy-duty axle
shafts with automatic transmission (4.86 axle ration).

Dana-built 9 ¾" heavy-duty axle with manual transmission (4.88 axle
ration).

Sure-Grip differential.

135 Amp. Hr. battery (located in rear compartment).

Heavy-duty high control rear suspension.

Front disc brakes 41/2" Bolt Circle.

Fiberglass front fenders.

Fiberglass hood with scoop.

Light weight steel doors.

Light weight front bumper.

Light weight side window glass.

High capacity fuel lines.

Business coupe interior (2 bucket seats - no rear seat).

For Manual Transmission Only

Special heavy-duty 10 ½" clutch and flywheel.

Safety steel clutch housing.

Competition "Slick Shift" 4-speed transmission.

Hurst remote mounted floor-shift unit with reverse lockout.

For Automatic Transmission Only

High stall speed torque converter (large drive lugs and 7/16"
diameter attaching screws).

Heavy-duty manual shift TorqueFlite transmission.

Hurst floor-mounted shift unit.

Please Note:

The following items are deleted on this body type:

Heater, Body Sealer and Sound Deadeners, Silence Pads, Outside Mirrors, Right Side Seat Belt and Body Color
Paint.

NO OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT OF ANY KIND CAN BE ORDERED

The policy of Chrysler Corporation is one of continual improvement in design and manufacture, wherever
possible, to insure a still finer car. Hence, specifications, equipment and prices are subject to change without
notice.

These vehicles are intended to use in supervised acceleration trials and other competitive events, therefore, they
will be sold without warrant. Special stickers will be provided for plant installation (attached to left "A" post)
which will read as follows: "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways and
does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

All customer orders must be accompanied by a signed disclaimer (sample attached) indicating that the purchaser
understands that this vehicle is sold without warranty and does not conform to Federal Vehicle Safety Standards.

Any prospective customer who desires to purchase one of these maximum performance vehicles should be made
aware of the following characteristics which make them unsuitable for general use.

A high idle speed is required to insure adequate lubrication, minimize roughness, and to keep the
engine from stalling.

The modified intake manifold causes a rich surging condition, misfiring and unstable engine
operation in cold weather, which makes ordinary street driving extremely difficult and it is not
recommended for this use.

Higher than normal oil consumption will be encountered because of increased lubrication to the
valve train and cylinder walls.

The carburetors are calibrated for maximum power and a high numerical axle ration is used for
acceleration. As a result, the gas mileage is considerably less than for a conventional car.

Engine noise would be objectionable due to increased piston clearance and mechanical valve
tappet clearance.

The ignition system is designed for optimum engine output and must be kept in top condition. This
makes it necessary to inspect, adjust and replace the spark plugs and ignition points more
frequently than would be necessary on a standard engine.

On car equipped with automatic transmission, band adjustment must be made frequently.

Due to performance characteristics, maintenance and operating expense will be high since premium
fuel is required and frequent oil changes are a MUST.

Does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Warranty and Policy Coverage

Any customer purchasing this model vehicle should be advised that due to the expected use, the vehicle is sold
"as is" and the 24 month or 24,000 mile vehicle warranty coverage, the 5 year or 50,000 mile Power Train Warranty
coverage, or any other warranty coverage (including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness for
purpose intended or merchantability) will not apply to the vehicle. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for
the manner in which such vehicles operate.

Any repairs or adjustments which you believe warranty factory participation should be brought to the attention of
your Regional Service Office where such requests will be handled on individual merits.

Attached is a form letter (to be prepared on your letterhead) which should be thoroughly understood and signed
by each prospective purchaser and attached to your order for each Hemi Barracuda Super Stock. The purpose of
the letter is to explain the normal operation characteristics of these vehicles and clarify that the warranty
coverage’s do not apply. Be sure a letter in this form, signed by your customer, is included with your order so
there will be no delay.

1968 Hemi Barracuda

It was inevitable that Chrysler would build the Hemi Barracuda. For the past four years, drag racers had been
gutting Barracudas and dropping in 392 and 426 Elephant Engines. Since Chrysler had enjoyed tremendous
success on the dragstrips in Super Stock and Unlimited Fuel since 1963, the decision to continue that domination
by building a factory super stocker (with some assistance from Hurst) was a natural.

The S/S Hemi Barracuda was assembled by Chrysler as a package and then shipped to Hurst. Although the
number varies from source to source, at least fifty and possibly as many as seventy-five Barracudas were shipped
to Hurst’s facility in Detroit. The conversions were coordinated by Dick Maxwell at Chrysler and Richard Chrysler
at Hurst. As delivered to the dealers, the cars had fiberglass hoods and fenders, while the front bumper and doors
were light-gauge steel. The interiors were gutted and Bostrom driver seats installed.

To squeeze the mighty Elephant into the Barracuda’s tight engine bay, some modifications had to be made under
the hood. The battery was moved to the trunk, and the right shock tower was moved, as was the master cylinder.
Hurst also installed custom headers, shift linkages for four-speed cars and special rear-axle assemblies. Off the
transport trailer the cars were delivered on street tires. All that was needed to make the car competitive was slicks,
a deeper oil pan (a small pan was installed for shipping), camshaft and valvetrain.

1969 Dart 383/727/D60

CTD Ram 4x4 Mega Cab

Procharged 350Z
Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14984
03/11/05 11:17 PM
03/11/05 11:17 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
WELCOME!

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14985
03/12/05 12:23 AM
03/12/05 12:23 AM
San Francisco Ca
SCATPK Offline
master
SCATPK  Offline
master

San Francisco Ca
Steve, I have several pictures of my bosses original unrestored Hemi Dart on my computer at work if you send me a e-mail I will send you pictures of the areas in question. I can tell you that the underside of the super stock cars were painted black just like the trunks and engine compartments. I took several pictures last year and posted them here on Moparts. Sounds like a nice project let me know if I can help. Here is a picture of the car that I have on my home pc.

1561889-dart1.jpg (339 downloads)
Last edited by SCATPK; 03/12/05 12:30 AM.
Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: megajoltman] #14986
03/12/05 09:15 AM
03/12/05 09:15 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks! what brand tires? I need to place my order. Coker tire? where to buy vintage tires?

Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14987
03/12/05 09:42 AM
03/12/05 09:42 AM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
goodyear powercushion I believe.
Try a search as a member posted some info on Hemi Darts a while back that included tire type and sizes. He got alot of info from Lou Mancini.

Post deleted by moparts #14988
04/04/05 11:39 PM
04/04/05 11:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Post deleted by moparts #14989
04/06/05 05:52 PM
04/06/05 05:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: megajoltman] #14990
04/06/05 06:00 PM
04/06/05 06:00 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
The announcement letter states: "Front disc brakes 4 1/2" Bolt Circle."

I wonder how they accomplished that in the absence of the later parts now commonly used.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: John_Kunkel] #14991
04/06/05 06:06 PM
04/06/05 06:06 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
They used 68/69 B-body disc brakes, at least that's what it looks like on the LO23 car locally.

Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14992
04/06/05 06:55 PM
04/06/05 06:55 PM
Fort Morgan
1OFNONE Offline
Has been a member for quite a few years, so relax.
1OFNONE  Offline

Fort Morgan
I would try Reed Koeppe in Kearney Nebraska, I think his moparts name is MelroseVI. Another board member who has an extensive archive would be Mark Janaky. I know I mispelled his last name.

So the bartender says to the horse " Gee, Why the long face?"
Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14993
04/08/05 01:08 AM
04/08/05 01:08 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks for all the great pic's. Ive been busy in the garage. Hope to post some pictures soon.

Last edited by MoparSteve; 04/08/05 01:09 AM.
Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: gtx6970] #14994
04/08/05 01:21 AM
04/08/05 01:21 AM
swamps of florida
B
beepsalot Offline
master
beepsalot  Offline
master
B

swamps of florida
they made a special run,i had an NOS pair, i sold em to a boy in miami who had a 68 hemi dart....

Just Follow Me Down the Street, You'll Know i'm Up to No Good...
Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: beepsalot] #14995
04/08/05 07:31 AM
04/08/05 07:31 AM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
Quote:

they made a special run,i had an NOS pair, i sold em to a boy in miami who had a 68 hemi dart....

who you callin a boy? Jerry that you? Chris here. How ya doin?

Rotors were small bearing large bolt pattern and chryco used them from the Transam A body cars. You'll never find a set! take my word for it. Get a set of Wilwoods.

front tires were 6.75X15's not sure what the rears were.

If ya have anymore Q's just PM me,
DC

Re: '68 HEMI Dart #14996
04/08/05 08:51 AM
04/08/05 08:51 AM
Almost Heaven
B_Body_Bob Offline
Master of nothing
B_Body_Bob  Offline
Master of nothing

Almost Heaven
Quote:

Pictures zipped up in one file 18.7 meg

Thanks

Does anyone know if the Red Light Bandit dart is still in WV? Michael?

1626335-Elkton15.jpg (121 downloads)

Everybody makes fun of a hillbilly until they need something fixed
Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: B_Body_Bob] #14997
04/08/05 09:18 AM
04/08/05 09:18 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Great info. My son and i are probably gonna build a Hemi dart clone for his FIRST CAR. It will look bad arse but will have a /6 auto , updated brakes and suspension parts, maybe a tad more plush interior but definately want to do the big and little tires, the cut out rear wheel openings and the hood scoop. Also hought about power windows with the seat belt straps for "looks". All black. Not sure about the wheels. Maybe old 15" Cragars.

I downloaded the pictures. GREAT! Thanks!

Were the front shock toers and rear wheel wells really beat in with a hammer like that from the factory? I couldn't do that. Even for a clone.

Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: 71TA] #14998
04/08/05 09:53 AM
04/08/05 09:53 AM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
Yes the front right inner fender was beat in with a large hammer. I've seen some that look to have a slit in them then beat and welded up. The rears were cut and rolled and then spot welded.

Stroked Hemi: yup that's my old hemi dart. however it didn't look that nice when I sold it. That picture was from a 3 page article in Popular Hotrodding Mag. May 1969. I owned it from 1989-1999.
DC

Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: dc426] #14999
04/08/05 10:11 AM
04/08/05 10:11 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Yes the front right inner fender was beat in with a large hammer. I've seen some that look to have a slit in them then beat and welded up. The rears were cut and rolled and then spot welded.

Stroked Hemi: yup that's my old hemi dart. however it didn't look that nice when I sold it. That picture was from a 3 page article in Popular Hotrodding Mag. May 1969. I owned it from 1989-1999.
DC

Frome someone who owned one, what were those old Darts really like? Lotta moder of the frt of a relatively light car must make them handle well Quick? Noisy (interior -wise). I understand they were meant for "supervised acceleration trials" and not as daily drivers. Just curious what they were like.

Re: '68 HEMI Dart [Re: 71TA] #15000
04/08/05 11:03 AM
04/08/05 11:03 AM
Fort Morgan
1OFNONE Offline
1OFNONE  Offline

Fort Morgan
American Musclecar on the Speed channel did a show about Mopar and drag racing. They took the camera in a Barracuda for a ride and a Black Dart. Then ran them thru the gears and that will tell you what they are like to drive. Loud and fast, just the way I like them. You can order the show on dvd now. Maybe that will help you. Or order the video "Ultimate Race Hemi" it has good footage of the cars also.

So the bartender says to the horse " Gee, Why the long face?"