Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
Adam71Charger  Offline OP
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Started it up and the gauge sits right in the middle at idle, raises just a bit at higher rpms. Everything appears to be fixed, the gauge doesnt bounce around or go to far in either direction, and the battery doesnt leak or sizzle any more. I will have to see what the tester says when they hook it up. Yeah I know, I need to buy a multimeter already...

Is it a good idea to replace the battery even if it still operates fine?

I think the over charging problem did affect connections/wires elsewhere.. my left turn dash indicator is stuck on, and my low beams dont work. Both of these problems were happening before I fixed the VR and wires.

Im not getting a new harness until the 440 goes in, and even then I still might not. Im decent at making my own if I have all the parts. Will have to see if they are all available later.

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469069
07/18/13 01:52 AM
07/18/13 01:52 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
I need to go through the wiring in this car anyways and get more familiar with it. Is it normal that this is fun to me?

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: IMGTX] #1469070
07/18/13 01:54 AM
07/18/13 01:54 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Quote:

Replace the Voltage regulator as a start.

Do not drive it with the charging pegged to the C. The wiring in these old cars won't handle high current and when the alternator is putting out the max it has the same effect as a shorted wire. Too much current flow is too much current flow. I had to rewire my Satellite because of a bad VR that I ignored for too long.

What circuits/sytems were affected by your bad VR? was it just wiring in the engine bay or did it damage anything in the dash, instrument panels, and lighting circuits?

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469071
07/18/13 01:56 AM
07/18/13 01:56 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I would definitely still check the voltage at the battery at idle and higher RPMs.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: hooziewhatsit] #1469072
07/18/13 08:52 AM
07/18/13 08:52 AM
SD
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
super stock
zrxkawboy  Offline
super stock
Z

SD
Yes, most parts stores will check your charging system for free. Also ask them to test your battery separately.

It's Swifty! Swifty, you toad sucker!
Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469073
07/18/13 10:09 AM
07/18/13 10:09 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Started it up and the gauge sits right in the middle at idle, raises just a bit at higher rpms. Everything appears to be fixed, the gauge doesnt bounce around or go to far in either direction, and the battery doesnt leak or sizzle any more.

Is it a good idea to replace the battery even if it still operates fine?

I'd say you're done/got it fixed & that one or more of the changes/repairs you did fixed the problem area. Yes do get a meter (they're cheap). An advantage of fixing just one area at a time then checking it is that it lets you know exactly which area was bad. I'd just run the batt & see how it performs. Most people have a very low tolerance for frustration which shows when thing start to go wrong especially repeatedly in a row. but you may be one of those individuals who are blessed with the ability to not let emotions take over when there's repeated setbacks which is a very good trait to have in the mechanic world because Mr Murphy will raise his head from time to time sometimes severely. To answer your Q if you are on Moparts you ain't normal

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: RapidRobert] #1469074
07/18/13 05:32 PM
07/18/13 05:32 PM
PA
70HemiGTX Offline
top fuel
70HemiGTX  Offline
top fuel

PA
I had the same problem in my 71 Challenger R/T. I would actually blow the caps off the battery. Hunted high and low. Couldn't find the problem. Cleaned the voltage regulator, grounds, new battery, etc. Finally found a burned connection in the main hot (red) wire on the steering column connection to the dash harness. I cut the wire and by-passed the connection. That cured my over-charging problem.

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469075
07/18/13 06:12 PM
07/18/13 06:12 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Online content
I Live Here
IMGTX  Online Content
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Quote:

Quote:

Replace the Voltage regulator as a start.

Do not drive it with the charging pegged to the C. The wiring in these old cars won't handle high current and when the alternator is putting out the max it has the same effect as a shorted wire. Too much current flow is too much current flow. I had to rewire my Satellite because of a bad VR that I ignored for too long.

What circuits/sytems were affected by your bad VR? was it just wiring in the engine bay or did it damage anything in the dash, instrument panels, and lighting circuits?

My most notable symptom was that my running lights stayed on and I could dim them with the dash light dimmer switch. I also had weird things happen when I turned on the wipers. Most of my damage was under the dash but I didn't like the look of the the main alternator output wire inside the engine harness so I replaced it also.

What happened was the main power wire started melting under the dash and when it did it shorted out other wires.

I have rewired them in the car by pulling the cluster but it is really a lot easier to remove the whole dash and do it on a bench.

1. Disconnect the wiring at the bulkhead, heater core, both kick panels and the headlight dimmer switch.
2. Disconnect the cables to the heater controls & hood release. There is Vacuume hose on the heater controls and the speedometer cable also.
3. Remove the wiring on the steering column and remove the steering coupler from the steering box and column from the dash. Some people let the column hang without removing the coupler but if anything is going to damage that 30 year old flex joint the 73 and newer columns have, it would be letting it bend harshly from hanging.
4. Remove the dash speaker panel and the 4 screws holding the dash to the windshield base.
5. Loosen the two screws at the ends of the dash under kick panels and roll the dash into your lap.

Once on the bench unwrap the wiring paying close attention to the thick read and black wires and everything they touch. I suggest you go ahead and use a bolt in bulkhead connector for those wires to bypass the weak link of the spade bulkhead connector or what I do is to run straight wires through a hole in the firewall and have no connectors at all.

Hope it helps

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: IMGTX] #1469076
08/11/13 07:24 PM
08/11/13 07:24 PM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
I took my intake off to replace the gasket. When i got everything back together, My overcharging problem sudddenly reappeared. Im going through my wires now to see if I bumped, smashed, or ripped any of them when I did the intake. I also hooked my carb electric choke up to the ignition key side of my ballast resistor ( the side that has 2 wires going out, one to the ignition and the other to the positive side of the ign coile.) If all my wires check out, my next step is checking the vr. Can a bad ballast resistor damage the vr? Can a cheap autozone vr break in under 30 days of use?

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469077
08/11/13 08:30 PM
08/11/13 08:30 PM
New Brunswick Canada
C
copperSwinger Offline
copperSwinger  Offline
C

New Brunswick Canada
I had my left signal indicator stuck on before. It was a bad headlight ground behind the grille

Re: Battery is sizzling and about to explode [Re: Adam71Charger] #1469078
08/12/13 09:31 AM
08/12/13 09:31 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

If all my wires check out, my next step is checking the vr. Can a bad ballast resistor damage the vr? Can a cheap autozone vr break in under 30 days of use?

(1) no (2) possible but not too likely unless something elsewhere got dead shorted or possibly from an open as electronics (of any kind) do not like an open in their circuit.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 2 of 2 1 2