Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

No kiddin', Mr.P...
About 10 years ago, when I last lived in The People's Republic of California, there were some street-racing deaths around Tracy. A friend & I located an old unused airstrip, got people on the hook for a 'tree, storage, food truck, fencing, insurance, etc, to run a low-fee deal that would give folks a place to run at no cost to the city/county. Presented our plan to the powers that be and got shot down.
Too many people in charge have that academic "cars are evil" philosophy nowadays.

To my understanding Kalleta was gonna put some money
in on it but the track didnt happen

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: jim sciortino] #1449945
06/09/13 10:17 PM
06/09/13 10:17 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

There is no reason to hate to say it.....

Golf courses, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, hockey rinks, football fields, running tracks, tennis courts......you name, I can get to any number of them in minutes, yet I have to drive hours to get to a dragstrip, then sit in LONG HOURS of traffic to get home, at ridiculous gas and toll prices, as there isn't a SINGLE track in my entire state, or Mass. So guess what???

I have 3 perfect lanes of concrete, with shoulders on each side, straight and flat, no on/off ramps and shutdown forever, 3 miles from me. If I get pinched, or crash....it's on me.

F the state and anyone with a problem. They don't like it???

THEN ALLOW A TRACK TO BE BUILT IN A FREAKIN' STATE THAT HAS ACRE AFTER ACRE AFTER ACRE OF !!!!!!WOODS!!!!!

Thankxxx 4 understanding man and the tree huggers need a life for sure. Street racing`s been around since the horse and buggy and it`s gettin more common and popular every day because of the lack of tracks. Anyhow, good 2 see u run Al................

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: quarter pounder] #1449946
06/09/13 11:34 PM
06/09/13 11:34 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Hey thumper, was going to go last night, son thought it was going to be further away. so i stayed home come to find out real close to where i live.my son was there and met you he was wearing a bob mazzolini shirt.he was riding his Harley...makes me want to get these cars finished a little quicker but theres the issue of money standing in the way....hope to meet ya out there...

Cool, maybe this Sat. at the indoor swap meet parking lot on Bear Valley where we meet and your son`s a nice kid.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: Thumperdart] #1449947
06/09/13 11:43 PM
06/09/13 11:43 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I still enjoyed watching street racing long after I no longer participated in it.

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: BradH] #1449948
06/10/13 12:36 AM
06/10/13 12:36 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
When they closed Chanute the locals tried to get a track on the property since they resurfaced the airstrip right before the closing. Unfortunately, the people who bought the on site golf course won.out.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: ademon] #1449949
06/10/13 12:44 AM
06/10/13 12:44 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

could be a big pay day for the city or county or whoever is in charge of that area. municipality's are hurting for money and this would be a great way for them to snag a bunch of "drag racers" and cash in. Especially since you kind of disclosed the location

In Florida, you lose your car, and any nearby spectators are arrested and their cars are impounded.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: jcc] #1449950
06/10/13 01:54 AM
06/10/13 01:54 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

could be a big pay day for the city or county or whoever is in charge of that area. municipality's are hurting for money and this would be a great way for them to snag a bunch of "drag racers" and cash in. Especially since you kind of disclosed the location

In Florida, you lose your car, and any nearby spectators are arrested and their cars are impounded.

I can understand if it`s ruthless punk ricer kids or idiots in general but we have pretty organized races and have for years w/out any major problems that I know of.............

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: topside] #1449951
06/10/13 01:59 AM
06/10/13 01:59 AM
Califor-ni-A!
MrFoFody Offline
mopar
MrFoFody  Offline
mopar

Califor-ni-A!
Quote:

No kiddin', Mr.P...
About 10 years ago, when I last lived in The People's Republic of California, there were some street-racing deaths around Tracy. A friend & I located an old unused airstrip, got people on the hook for a 'tree, storage, food truck, fencing, insurance, etc, to run a low-fee deal that would give folks a place to run at no cost to the city/county. Presented our plan to the powers that be and got shot down.
Too many people in charge have that academic "cars are evil" philosophy nowadays.

If it's the one I remember, It was a good well organized plan. too bad it never materialized. Heck , there were talks of a huge motorplex with much financial backing that was being planned between Hollister and I-5 that was shot down as well.

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: MrFoFody] #1449952
06/10/13 04:08 AM
06/10/13 04:08 AM
So.Cal
S
SideLiner Offline
SideLiner  Offline
S

So.Cal
I was there, and it was a pretty decent night. People just enjoying their cars and everyone getting along. We usually keep the group kinda small, and we want to keep the ricers and unruly kids from finding out about this place, because they will ruin it for sure!!

So what Thumperdart REALLY means to say, is that there was a few street races SOMEWHERE IN THE DESERT!!...right, Dom??

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: SideLiner] #1449953
06/10/13 07:00 AM
06/10/13 07:00 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

I was there, and it was a pretty decent night. People just enjoying their cars and everyone getting along. We usually keep the group kinda small, and we want to keep the ricers and unruly kids from finding out about this place, because they will ruin it for sure!!

So what Thumperdart REALLY means to say, is that there was a few street races SOMEWHERE IN THE DESERT!!...right, Dom??

I like that.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: Thumperdart] #1449954
06/10/13 09:23 AM
06/10/13 09:23 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Quote:

Quote:

Golf courses, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, hockey rinks, football fields, running tracks, tennis courts......you name, I can get to any number of them in minutes, yet I have to drive hours to get to a dragstrip, then sit in LONG HOURS of traffic to get home, at ridiculous gas and toll prices, as there isn't a SINGLE track in my entire state, or Mass. So guess what???

I have 3 perfect lanes of concrete, with shoulders on each side, straight and flat, no on/off ramps and shutdown forever, 3 miles from me. If I get pinched, or crash....it's on me.

THEN ALLOW A TRACK TO BE BUILT IN A FREAKIN' STATE THAT HAS ACRE AFTER ACRE AFTER ACRE OF !!!!!!WOODS!!!!!

Thankxxx 4 understanding man and the tree huggers need a life for sure. Street racing`s been around since the horse and buggy and it`s gettin more common and popular every day because of the lack of tracks. Anyhow, good 2 see u run Al................

I'm not a proponent of racing in an area that can involve "innocent" traffic, or where spectators put themselves in dangerous situations......but as long as tracks close, there will be an uptick in street activities.

We have towed 3+ hours to get to ATCO and 5+ hours in traffic to get home, paying laughable tolls, over miserable roads and to chase a number, I have no problem with it, but if something comes up on the street......

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1449955
06/10/13 11:05 AM
06/10/13 11:05 AM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline
master
mopar dave  Offline
master

Mt Morris Michigan
Kelleta was trying to get the ok to build a track in mid michigan(Bentley) too out in the farmland,but the neighboring people said no. they thought the cows wouldn't milk right with the noise.

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: SideLiner] #1449956
06/10/13 12:35 PM
06/10/13 12:35 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline OP
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

If I was too concerned about the "officials" checking these posts, I`d have WAY more to worry about than this.......... Regardless a few of us on here have been beating up the streets since WAY back in the late 80`s and it`s only going to get bigger unless they heavily crack down on us and hopefully no incidents happen to create that.........

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1449957
06/10/13 01:45 PM
06/10/13 01:45 PM
Oregon City, OR
Baxter61 Offline
top fuel
Baxter61  Offline
top fuel

Oregon City, OR
Quote:

Quote:

What a shame that all of these closed AFB's cannot be used for regular, organized race activities. Be it drag racing, auto-x, skid pads, drifters, etc...

We have a closed air base in northern Mich that a few
people TRIED to get a drag strip set up on and it was
turned down a few times... area people said it would
be too loud(even if they had muffs) but yet they
rebuild air craft engines there at Kalleta Air and
run the engines for break in all day long... so the
kids street race and crash on a regular basis.. plus
the economy is down and for some reason they wont
open it to help the economy ....IDIOTS

Around here PIR used to do Friday and Saturday night races till 1 am. The local law said if you want to race at night then go to the track. So racers went to the track. Then people bought houses next to the track and complained about the noise. Now the track closes at 10 (may be 10:30); guess where the racers went back to?

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: Thumperdart] #1449958
06/10/13 08:17 PM
06/10/13 08:17 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

No tracks sucks for you guys...
Wally Parks is rolling in his grave.

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: Challenger 1] #1449959
06/10/13 08:19 PM
Mira Loma, CA
69B3GT Offline
top fuel
69B3GT  Offline
top fuel

Mira Loma, CA
I heard about this meet actually, Was gonna try to make it out but got stuck wrenching on my buddies 408 duster. I know the guy with the barracuda, and a few of the other older guys out there. Now im mad that I didnt make it

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: Challenger 1] #1449960
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Discovery Channel tonight..

Chris..

Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: BradH] #1449961
06/10/13 08:24 PM
06/10/13 08:24 PM
southern Maryland
K
keefe Offline
mopar
keefe  Offline
mopar
K

southern Maryland
Quote:

I still enjoyed watching street racing long after I no longer participated in it.

True that....LOL

1971 duster twister 440, 3380#,509 M/P hyd,906's,full Exhaust,11.06@117.46 1/4,6.95@ 97.03 1/8,1.497 60ft.....
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: jim sciortino] #1449962
06/10/13 08:34 PM
06/10/13 08:34 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Its amazing isn't it?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS............. [Re: jim sciortino] #1449963
06/10/13 09:21 PM
06/10/13 09:21 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not a proponent of racing in an area that can involve "innocent" traffic, or where spectators put themselves in dangerous situations......but as long as tracks close, there will be an uptick in street activities.

We have towed 3+ hours to get to ATCO and 5+ hours in traffic to get home, paying laughable tolls, over miserable roads and to chase a number, I have no problem with it, but if something comes up on the street......

with ya Jim. Even Lebanon Valley (outside Albany, N.Y.) is a bit of a ride for you. Yeah things are getting "heated" in the tri -state area and all over the country as dragstrips are drying up. Just remember what happens in the streets STAYS THERE (in the streets)!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4