10/31/08 06:26 PM
10/31/08 06:26 PM
United States
STLDuster Offline OP
super stock
STLDuster  Offline OP
super stock

United States
Lets say I have a spare 440 block specs are unkown, as far as bore,.etc... A forged crank that has a lot of surface rust on it (sitting on a shelf for 20 years) and a set of 346 heads that have been ported but I dont know to what extent, no valves or sprngs or any hardware with them. Consider it a blank canvas, I would like to use the 346 heads but I am not dead set on them. It will have to be NATURALLY ASPIRATED, no NOS either.

This engine would be ran in a '74 Duster with TTI headers, about 3300 lbs, A mild/stout 727 (no trans brake), 8-3/4, 3.73s sure grip - billet caps,Moser Custum alloy axles, and some where in the ballpark of 28" x 10.5 tires.

Lets say this is going to be a build that will take place over a long perioud of time, gathering parts on sale, used, and what not.

How would you do it? What parts would you use?

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
Re: Ideal 440 Build Up - How would YOU do it!?! [Re: STLDuster] #144046
10/31/08 08:17 PM
10/31/08 08:17 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I'd suggest the first step is assesment of the parts you have with the help of a good machine shop.

Get the block measured to see if it has the potential for an overbore. If yes and if you're ready to spend a few hundred dollars, get it magnafluxed, decked square, rough bored and install main studs and align honed.

For the crank, the same idea. Get it measured and checked for pitting in the wrong spots. if its OK, get it ground undersize and you're ready. Depending on machining costs, it may be worth offset grinding the rod journals to get around 3.9 stroke for BBC type rods. The only drawback is your piston choice will be limited unless you go the custom route. Plus, stroking with stock heads may not help that much. If the crank is in bad shape its hard to beat a complete rotating kit from 440 source.

Similar on the heads, get them checked for cracks and valve seat and valve guide condition. If they need a lot of work it will be hard to justify compared to the cost of a pair of MOPAR/Edelbrock/440 source aluminum heads.

If your parts are OK then you're on your way. If not, time to decide whether to look for better stock type parts or upgrade to new aftermarket.

Re: Ideal 440 Build Up - How would YOU do it!?! [Re: STLDuster] #144047
10/31/08 09:07 PM
10/31/08 09:07 PM
Glendale Az
D
Darryls-Demon Offline
super stock
Darryls-Demon  Offline
super stock
D

Glendale Az
You may not like my idea but I would build a low deck motor. It will fit in the car better and the rods and pistons are a lot lighter.
400 block
Off set grind your crank
Set of Edelbrock victor heads
Single plane intake
Solid flat tappet cam

A 470 low deck is a great all around engine.

Re: Ideal 440 Build Up - How would YOU do it!?! [Re: Darryls-Demon] #144048
11/01/08 04:09 AM
11/01/08 04:09 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Depends on your budget and whether you're married to that crank. Heads I would toss in the scrap heap in favor of aftermarkets like 440source stealth heads or eddy rpm heads. For crank, if $ is no object, pick up a stroker kit, if you want to keep it stock stroke, have your machine shop check it out and regrind as necessary. For pistons, go with something with a compression height of 2.060 or greater, ie KB237, TRW 2355, etc. That with a little bit of deck milling will get you a zero deck, quench motor with about 10-10.5 compression. Add in headers, windage tray, deep oil pan, holley street dominator or edelbrock rpm intake and carb of your choice along with a recurved distributor and you should be set. Stab in a cam of your choice, really depends on how much hp you want versus how streetable you want it to be.