scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

To use that carb the first question we need to answer is:
Does that solenoid need a PWM signal or a varying-voltage signal to operate as the OEM intended???

If PWM, you'd need a special module to make that work.
If voltage, a simple potentiometer would work.

Either way, you'll need some way to monitor the adjustment vs AF ratio. But I guess if you use the adjustment only on the highway, you could simply lean it out until it starts to misfire.

To make it automatic, a vacuum switch of suitable range could be wired to trigger a relay that energizes the 'noid circuitry. Might not be real smooth when it kicks in/out, though, but a 'car guy' might find that to be useful feedback.

I looked in the shed for mine,must have tossed it.

I have a a q-jet you can have if you need one. I dont see that one working with out a ecm with all the bells whistles. it does not have the power piston/spring like a older q-jet.

I will swap you a 650 DP spredbore holley for the mopar throttle lever off of it.

I have used the wrong gaskets mix matching stuff and had a whistle. check that the base gasket/throttle gasket fits the intake/main body and seals.

check to make sure there is no vac leak in the main body choke port if the choke is striped off.

Re: Mopar Quadrajet ?? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1406287
03/27/13 09:39 PM
03/27/13 09:39 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
the blue plug is for the mixture solenoid and the white one is a throttle position sensor.you're not gonna get those to work without a computer.that is a computer controlled carb. might work without the electronics hooked up.make sure you stretch the spring for the power enrichment.clean the rods.check for worn throttle shafts also.Very common on an older unit.check the bottom of the float bowl.there is a plug down there.make sure it's still sealed.or it will always run rich/hard start as it will slowly drip gas into the intake.

Re: Mopar Quadrajet ?? [Re: moretoys] #1406288
03/28/13 12:32 AM
03/28/13 12:32 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Online content OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Online Content OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Well, I believe I've found my whistle. I had carb base gaskets that did not seal.
the original 4bbl intake we are using had the old little square Carter. The 3 sources we checked could not locate a kit for the old Carter. Our remaining choices were a well used Carter AVS, a Thermoquad, and the Quadrajet. The Quadrajet won out because it was the best looking (cleanest, most complete, and most unmolested) one to start with and the electric choke was a huge + because there was no choke provision on the intake. Being too cheap to buy Hotheads $50 adapter, I spent several hours making one (real cost effective) then I had to add the spread bore adapter on top of that (if you counting, that makes 3 carb base gaskets) The base gasket between the spread bore adapter and my home made adapter was the one that did not seal. I'm sure homemade gaskets didn't help much either.

So today I filed my homemade adapter more flat (again), made new gaskets, used weatherstripping glue on top of the home made adapter, and bolted the whole mess together again. It lasted until the motor warmed up and then the whistle started coming back.

Time to regroup and rethink the process. The fix is only $400 away. Gene

Re: Mopar Quadrajet ?? [Re: poorboy] #1406289
03/28/13 03:40 AM
03/28/13 03:40 AM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Were you trying to find a kit for a Carter WCFB? I am willing to bet they can be found.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: Mopar Quadrajet ?? [Re: Rug_Trucker] #1406290
03/28/13 11:13 PM
03/28/13 11:13 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Online content OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Online Content OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

Were you trying to find a kit for a Carter WCFB? I am willing to bet they can be found.

Yep, that's the one! According to everyone we checked with, they show no kit available for the carb numbers we have. Supposedly it was made in early 54 and was 54 only. One source could "make" us a kit for around $100. Don't think so.

The ball is in Biggie's court now, its his car, his money.

Scratch, could you send the info you sent to me to Biggie (the guy earlier in this thread that posted the picture of our carb)? I have no clue how to forward a PM. Gene

Page 2 of 2 1 2