01/05/05 10:01 PM
01/05/05 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok, I had some problems with the Grant steering wheel installation kit on my Newport's Tilt/Telo column, here is how I fixed it AND got the horn to work!

Maybe this could go in the achives?

First, pull the wheel off then remove this plastic hub w/ spring from the backside of the steering wheel.

Also remove that piece of rubber hose that is on the shaft.

Next, break off the three plastic lock tabs that held the plastic hub to the wheel. BECAREFULL NOT TO BREAK OFF THE PLASTIC PIN! YOU NEED IT!!!

Now remove the horn wire from the plastic hub's spring with a pair of pliers.

Take the little wire that came with the kit and cut the little round "tab" from the one end.

Now using a little crimp, attach the wire to the spring like so, making sure to bend the end of the spring over to keep the crimp on there.

Next, at the other end of the spring push the end of the spring coil up inside so the spring can rotate on the column's horn contact with out snagging.

Now you can install the hub, making sure to route the wire like so. Note: arrange the plastic hub so that the pin in the top goes inside the hole on the right side of the hub. When you go to install the rest of the wheel, pass the wire through that grove cut into the hub like the instructions show so the wire is on the same side of the hub as the pin.

With that done install the rest of the wheel as instuctions show.

Dont forget, once you are done, thread a small bolt into the shaft, adjust wheel, tighten bolt and install horn button. (I had to scrape off the paint under the horn contact so the horn would work.)

All done, and the horn works!

I'm so smart!

Thanks hp383 for telling me how to get the wheel on there in the first place!

Last edited by Diplomat_Wagon; 01/05/05 10:05 PM.
Re: C-body Grant Wheel Install. Tech Archive Maybe #14007
01/05/05 11:56 PM
01/05/05 11:56 PM
State of Confusion
hp383 Offline
Just a normal tag again
hp383  Offline
Just a normal tag again

State of Confusion
hey thats a good trick, and i bet if one used a little solder on that crimp it would make it even better.

Now i have a plan for my next Gran Fury wheel.

Good Job!

Join the Penguin Liberation Front!!
Stop the Hippo Occupation!
Re: C-body Grant Wheel Install. Tech Archive Maybe [Re: hp383] #14008
01/06/05 01:41 AM
01/06/05 01:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

hey thats a good trick, and i bet if one used a little solder on that crimp it would make it even better.

Now i have a plan for my next Gran Fury wheel.

I did solder it, I just wanted to show the crimp.

Your Welcome!