01/31/13 09:46 AM
01/31/13 09:46 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Re the block heater, yeah I am not wedded to that idea, just thinking over a few possibilities. That would achieve the one objective of not having the car sit there warming up and waking up the neighbourhood at 6am. Elsewhere it would not matter, pump it, start it, wait a few mins.
I had been planning to use a TQ that already had the choke removed, hence my line of thought.
Chokes work and can be made to work, I realise that, though remember they are only necessary because of the raw fuel that is dropping out when the engine is cold and going into your intake or cylinders, it's really a band aid - but does its job.
None of this is keeping me awake at night, either solution can me made to work!

Re: Don't Laugh. It's No Choke! [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1378281
01/31/13 06:05 PM
01/31/13 06:05 PM
Montreal Quebec
STROKIE Offline
enthusiast
STROKIE  Offline
enthusiast

Montreal Quebec
Don't need choke, only use my car during summer...

7568902-IMG_0018.JPG (37 downloads)
Re: Don't Laugh. It's No Choke! [Re: Challenger 1] #1378282
02/01/13 12:18 AM
02/01/13 12:18 AM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline
Winchester 73  Offline
W

Washington State, USA
Quote:

Quote:

No choke on my 63. I found out a few things over the years about this. I have an 850 DP and the DP are much easier to get started in cold weather without a choke then is any other carb with just one accell pump. Many carbs with one pump like AFB's and Thermoquads were much harder to get started with no choke. I can start my 63 in 25 degree weather without the chake. Hit the gas pedal 3 times and keep pumping while it cranks. Fires right up and of course you have to feather it for a few minutes to keep it running but its no problem. I start my car every few weeks thru the winter. Ron

I beleive it, many years ago on a Sunday when the Bengals went to the super bowl and it was really cold here. My DP 750 on my old rusty 73 340 challenger was the only car in the neighborhood that started. I ran errands for the old people who lived above my 1 room apartment. After that they seemed to accept me and my rusty noisey car more. Damn I was proud that day of my 150 dollar car.

i was in the military in connecticut years ago and there was a 70 chevelle with a stock 396 in the same barracks parking lot as my 71 duster.there was about a foot of snow on the ground and i never drove my car on salty ct roads but would start it up often.one morning the kid who owned the chevelle was cranking and cranking but no start.i asked him if he needed a jump as his battery was starting to die and he said yeah,you know how these old cars are hard to start.one tap on the gas of my duster and about 1/4 turn of the mini starter and she barked to an idle.he said wow this thing runs great,maybe we should race sometime!i lifted the hood and showed him the 440, tall single plane and fenderwell headers and he said maybe not

holley dp 850-no choke.

Re: Don't Laugh. It's No Choke! [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1378283
02/01/13 01:09 AM
02/01/13 01:09 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Facts as I know them
DP Holleys don't need a choke period hot or cold I can start my car after sitting for weeks in cold with couple jabs of the gas.Even down to 5 degrees
TQ's will not start without a choke without a fit if at all
AVS will start provided the squirters are drilled
Q jets wiil have fit but start with no choke with backfiring and all.

If I have a holley I remove the choke and I have two electric setups but I found they run better without the choke My 10 cents

You mention Double Pumpers. Is it the same for Single Pump/Vacuum Secondary Holleys?

No its not the same and will not start as easy as it only has the primary acell pump. Ron

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3