01/17/13 07:07 PM
SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN
72N96RR Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES
72N96RR  Offline
I LOVE WEDGIES

SHELBY TWP,,MICHIGAN
Quote:

Roll Bar: All cars running 11.49 or quicker must be equipped with a roll bar conforming to NHRA general regulations.

Roll Cage: All cars running 10.99 or quicker must be equipped with a roll cage conforming to NHRA general regulations*

*By NHRA rules, a roll cage is not required in a full bodied car until 9.99 or 135MPH. A roll cage is required between 10.99 and 10.00 only at speeds of 135 or higher.

Always lots of debate on this subject but for me a roll bar or cage equals wearing a helmet and harness. Not something I want to do on the street. Your head can travel a long distance during an impact, and hitting a metal bar (even padded with foam) without a helmet would hurt. Even a thick head like mine.

great info DG!!

1972 Road Runner / GTX 440 4spd Dana 3.54 Just about to turn 26K original miles..

A boat, a GMC truck, some Craftsman Tools, LOTS of Zombie Protection, and a few Goldfish..

If you love someone set them free..
If they come back it means nobody else wanted them either..!!
Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: NANKET] #1371182
01/17/13 07:09 PM
01/17/13 07:09 PM
WI
W
wannadrag Offline
pro stock
wannadrag  Offline
pro stock
W

WI
Quote:

How do you think a classic car would do against a newer car (2000's) in a crash? Answer it to yourself and then watch this and see if you were right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk

I would like to see that test with a car that has 2 normal frame rails not saying the results would differ but would be interesting to see.Those impala type bodies up till aroud 64 has a frame sorta shaped like a X and would naturally fold up with a impact in the corner.

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: wannadrag] #1371183
01/17/13 08:15 PM
01/17/13 08:15 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline
pro stock
racealittle  Offline
pro stock

Southwestern Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

How do you think a classic car would do against a newer car (2000's) in a crash? Answer it to yourself and then watch this and see if you were right.

I would like to see that test with a car that has 2 normal frame rails not saying the results would differ but would be interesting to see.Those impala type bodies up till aroud 64 has a frame sorta shaped like a X and would naturally fold up with a impact in the corner.

New cars are built to absorb the crash in stages. Old cars have no such provision. A roll basic roll bar or different frame added to an old car would do little to help someone survive from the type of crash shown.

As for a backseat with a roll bar; that is just plain dangerous to the passengers. Seat belts in old cars are just not sufficient to keep you in place. Heads will bounce on most surfaces. A piece of steel tubing that is placed lower and closer to your head will crack your mellon, (padding will not help, a helmet will only marginally help).

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: NANKET] #1371184
01/17/13 08:19 PM
01/17/13 08:19 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

DAMN ...

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: dOc !] #1371185
01/17/13 11:59 PM
01/17/13 11:59 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

DAMN ...

How solid was that Bel Air? Did you see the cloud of RED dust come out from under it? Would an insurance institute looking to prove a point fudge or overlook such a thing?

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1371186
01/18/13 03:09 AM
01/18/13 03:09 AM
WI, USA
67dodge67 Offline
mopar addict
67dodge67  Offline
mopar addict

WI, USA
Quote:

I have a 68 charger that I am in the process of restoring and currently it is a stripped bare shell. I have always been interested in adding a roll bar/cage to it.

Does anyone know of a street friendly system that will allow access to the rear seat, and still allow easy access for drivers?

I am not too interested in building a jungle gym, just a good system to strenghten the car up. Also, at what point does the NHRA mandate a roll bar/cage?

Thanks for any help you can give,

HH

Contact S&W Race Cars for a roll bar kit for your car. I went with one for my Coronet after talking a several members on the race section. I chose to pull out my rear seat, however, I could have left it in and have had people squeeze in, if absolutely necessary. Here's a pic. I fabbed up the swing out bar for the driver's side. Never had any issues with tech either.
Best wishes, Dave

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: 67dodge67] #1371187
01/18/13 03:47 AM
01/18/13 03:47 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
D

Texas
LEO's sure give bars a strangw look though, btdt...

-Daty

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: Daty Rogers] #1371188
01/18/13 02:28 PM
01/18/13 02:28 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I run a 6 point bar in my 63 Sport Fury and its legal to 10.0 since I have the stock firewall. I did not use a swingout bar as I wanted the bar to help keep the car as stiff as I could. I feel the 6 point bar stiffened the car more then the frame connectors do. I have no problem sliding over the drivers bar to get in and out of the car. Ron

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: Ramrod39] #1371189
01/19/13 07:36 PM
01/19/13 07:36 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How solid was that Bel Air? Did you see the cloud of RED dust come out from under it? Would an insurance institute looking to prove a point fudge or overlook such a thing?

Exactly. That era of Bel-Air was an x frame design that had nothing but sheetmetal hanging out where the doors are.

That isn't to say our moaprs are a bunch better, but an X frame is no where near as good as a perimeter frame.

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: TC@HP2] #1371190
01/19/13 07:42 PM
01/19/13 07:42 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I was thinking of making the roof hoop so it would fit up tight to the roof just inside the roof structure,then padding it and putting the headliner over it so it is hidden. I was going to pad the roof with insulation to make it seamless. I was going to make the rear seat cross brace removable so it could come out when people are in the rear seat. It could be held in with cleavis pins,and have padded caps with snaps to fit over the recievers when not in use.

Hmmm. IF you could put the A and B piller uprights and the halo tucked up into the existing structure so tight they would fit under the existings panels, this could almost work. However, adding a cross bar behind the seats would kill it because you would have to leave a stub hanging out in space for the removeable bar to pin into. That is like just putting a target out there for someone to smash into and would actually, IMO, be more dangerous than a cross bar.

Like quickdodge said, it isn't the problem that you can pad a roll cage vs hitting the stock inner body structure. It is the fact that you signficantly reduce the space your bady has to stretch before hitting anything. If in stock form your head is 6" away from the roof sill, you have that far to move before making contact. By contrast, put a 1.5" round roll bar tube that is spaced 1" away from the sill to allow you welding access and now you only have 3.5" to allow for movement before striking a solid object. 6PKRTSE has a very nice cage in his car, but I'd hate to be in a hard street accident in it, especially with the funny car cage add in, because your melon will be a pinball inside all that tubing.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. That era of Bel-Air was an x frame design that had nothing but sheetmetal hanging out where the doors are.

That isn't to say our mopars are a bunch better, but an X frame is no where near as good as a perimeter frame.

Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: TC@HP2] #1371191
01/22/13 08:55 AM
01/22/13 08:55 AM
Manhattan, IL
SixPackRT Offline
mopar
SixPackRT  Offline
mopar

Manhattan, IL
I would go with a 6 point as stated earlier. You can always add a few points (pain yes, but possible). But a six point will get you what your looking for. I have one in a T-type I have and had the shop that installed it keep the side bars as low as they possibly could and still be safe (and legal). I didn't want a swing out bar because of rattles and for sake of being more rigid. Keep the bars going into the trunk as high as you can to allow as much access to the back seat as possible. I don't know what kits are on the market, but I would look at getting what you want done for your needs. Any good chassis guy/shop ought to be able to accommodate you. Also (its been a while) but chrome moly tubing will allow you to go with smaller diameter bars than mild steel if memory serves.

Scott

70 Coronet RT 440+6
64 Dodge 330 - Future Hemi Clone
17 Challenger Hellcat - Green Go Driver
86 Buick T-Type Turbo V-6
Re: Rollbars/cages livable on the street? [Re: SixPackRT] #1371192
01/22/13 12:01 PM
01/22/13 12:01 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

but chrome moly tubing will allow you to go with smaller diameter bars than mild steel if memory serves.

Scott

You can only use 1 5/8" cm on a roll cage, a 6 or 8 point roll bar has to be 1 3/4".

I have a 6 point bar with the pro street bars in my Dart. No one rides in the back seat, IMO it's to dangerous even in a minor accident.

Page 2 of 2 1 2