Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: 76dodgeboy] #1366336
01/14/13 04:08 AM
01/14/13 04:08 AM
Kent, Wa
340SHORTY Offline
Truck Nut
340SHORTY  Offline
Truck Nut

Kent, Wa
thats why I mentioned the loss of body fluid..

I am truckless..
Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: 76dodgeboy] #1366337
01/14/13 09:51 AM
01/14/13 09:51 AM
M
Mud Pig Offline OP
Mud Pig  Offline OP
M

Quote:

Quote:

It was raining so the windshield was definitely wet. As for the pry bar, the bushing wouldn't go on and there wasn't enough space to get plyers in there. Nothing was bent, the linkage arms are right where they should be.

I think the wiper arms are just a little offset from each other which is causing some dragging and shuddering on the windshield. I'll play with them and see if I can get them to run smooth.

Alt easier to pull the assembly out to install bashing in my opinion. They wipers being off from each other shouldn't matter other than going over to far or catching on each other

You make a good point. I'll check over te blade on the one that's shuddering and see if its damaged at all. I'll make sure to run each one separately by removing the other arm to zero in on the problem. You have to love a classic truck. How does simply replacing to wiper blades turn into hours of work, cut up hands, and a 200 pound pissed off man.

Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: Mud Pig] #1366338
01/14/13 02:32 PM
01/14/13 02:32 PM
Kent, Wa
340SHORTY Offline
Truck Nut
340SHORTY  Offline
Truck Nut

Kent, Wa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was raining so the windshield was definitely wet. As for the pry bar, the bushing wouldn't go on and there wasn't enough space to get plyers in there. Nothing was bent, the linkage arms are right where they should be.

I think the wiper arms are just a little offset from each other which is causing some dragging and shuddering on the windshield. I'll play with them and see if I can get them to run smooth.

Alt easier to pull the assembly out to install bashing in my opinion. They wipers being off from each other shouldn't matter other than going over to far or catching on each other

You make a good point. I'll check over te blade on the one that's shuddering and see if its damaged at all. I'll make sure to run each one separately by removing the other arm to zero in on the problem. You have to love a classic truck. How does simply replacing to wiper blades turn into hours of work, cut up hands, and a 200 pound pissed off man.

:Murphy's Law""

The shuddering is most likely a worn blade or something on the window. Highly unlikely it has anything to do with the linkage unless a transmission is bad.

I am truckless..
Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: 340SHORTY] #1366339
01/15/13 11:05 AM
01/15/13 11:05 AM
M
Mud Pig Offline OP
Mud Pig  Offline OP
M

Quote:

:Murphy's Law""

The shuddering is most likely a worn blade or something on the window. Highly unlikely it has anything to do with the linkage unless a transmission is bad.

Well, here's the rub. After calmly looking at everything, linkages, wiper arms, blades, all of a sudden it dawned on me that the wiper arms were on backwards. The left one was on the right, and the right one was on the left. Turns out that the last person to touch them put them on backwards. I know I didn't do it, given that I laid the arms on the side of the truck they came off of.

So that helped the shudder out, but unfortunately its still there. Going to get some rain X and do a throrough cleaning of everything tonight. Hoepfully, that will solve it once in for all.

The wipers are getting on my last nerve.

Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: Mud Pig] #1366340
01/15/13 12:41 PM
01/15/13 12:41 PM
Iowa
76dodgeboy Offline
master
76dodgeboy  Offline
master

Iowa
I doubt the arms being on opposite sides affected it. they take the same blade for both sides

Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: 76dodgeboy] #1366341
01/15/13 02:15 PM
01/15/13 02:15 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
A shudder is almost always blade or arm related, either the blades are shot, the arms are twisted, or the connection between the blades and the arms is too loose. Put new wiper blades on the truck, its the cheapest place to start and the most likely problem. They tend to "lay over" after they have been against a windshield for a while. When the wipers are running, the blades shift from side to side as they go across the windshield. Old, laid over, blades don't shift over very well, and tend to shudder. Also check to be sure the blades are not sloppy loose at the pivot points where the blades attach to the arms, as that will also cause a shudder. Gene

Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: poorboy] #1366342
01/15/13 04:08 PM
01/15/13 04:08 PM
M
Mud Pig Offline OP
Mud Pig  Offline OP
M

Quote:

A shudder is almost always blade or arm related, either the blades are shot, the arms are twisted, or the connection between the blades and the arms is too loose. Put new wiper blades on the truck, its the cheapest place to start and the most likely problem. They tend to "lay over" after they have been against a windshield for a while. When the wipers are running, the blades shift from side to side as they go across the windshield. Old, laid over, blades don't shift over very well, and tend to shudder. Also check to be sure the blades are not sloppy loose at the pivot points where the blades attach to the arms, as that will also cause a shudder. Gene

They are new blades as of a two weeks ago. But the number of times I've had to pull the arms off the car they may have been damaged. Its one of those things that really isn't the biggest deal, but I'm on a mission now. To quote GW, "This agression will not stand!!". These wipers are going to answer to me one way or another.

Re: Windhield wiper arms came off the linkage, thoughts? [Re: Mud Pig] #1366343
01/31/13 06:37 PM
01/31/13 06:37 PM
Rio Linda, CA
N
nytemuvr Offline
nytemuvr  Offline
N

Rio Linda, CA
If you clean the winsheild with a wet sponge with Bon Ami, it takes off the build up off the windsheild and your wiper won't shutter so much. Don't use Ajax or Comet as they will scratch the glass. Bon Ami is the same powder(cerilium powder?) that glass shops use to polish windows with. I've done that each year before the rain starts when I put on new wiper blades. May not solve the problem completely but will help alot, especially if you RainX them after cleaning them with Bon Ami(any grocery store should have it).Just did it 3 or 4 months ago and my wipers work much better on my D100 and Challenger.

1972 Challenger 340(original owner) 1968 D100 1997 HD Road King
Page 2 of 2 1 2