T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

The guy at discount tire yesterday said it was a no-no to mix and match tires. I told him it's gonna be a hot rod and I'm not too worried about handling characteristics. I just wants something that looks decent with whatever rear tire I decide on.

For most the public, that is probably a germain statement, particularly for bias ply and radial combos, although many of us can successfully drive that combo as well. Differing tread designs can produce different and inconsistent grip characteristics that you average stability control enhanced soccer mom car needs to have.

On a hot rod, I'd worry less about tread design than finding a front tire with the right diameter to produce consistent roll out with your typical RT to match the last bulb on the tree. For a street car, simply find the diameters that produce the rake you want.

2nd on the BFG junk. Hockey puck comes to mind with those. Coopers are a much better choice. MT SR is decent and does have matching fronts. Dean Stinger may be another option as might be Hoosier Pro Street. Might also consider Maxxis Marauder. MT SR and Maxxis are both H speed rated. Most other 15" tires are going to be S or T rated.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348193
12/26/12 02:36 PM
12/26/12 02:36 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Quote:

The guy at discount tire yesterday said it was a no-no to mix and match tires. I told him it's gonna be a hot rod and I'm not too worried about handling characteristics. I just wants something that looks decent with whatever rear tire I decide on.

For most the public, that is probably a germain statement, particularly for bias ply and radial combos, although many of us can successfully drive that combo as well. Differing tread designs can produce different and inconsistent grip characteristics that you average stability control enhanced soccer mom car needs to have.

On a hot rod, I'd worry less about tread design than finding a front tire with the right diameter to produce consistent roll out with your typical RT to match the last bulb on the tree. For a street car, simply find the diameters that produce the rake you want.

2nd on the BFG junk. Hockey puck comes to mind with those. Coopers are a much better choice. MT SR is decent and does have matching fronts. Dean Stinger may be another option as might be Hoosier Pro Street. Might also consider Maxxis Marauder. MT SR and Maxxis are both H speed rated. Most other 15" tires are going to be S or T rated.

Which MT SRs are you talking about? The drag radials, or the street tires

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348194
12/26/12 02:38 PM
12/26/12 02:38 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Also- all the tire shops I've spoken with said the BFGs are offer better traction than the Cooper Cobras. I guess when it comes to tires, everyone's' opinions are different.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: mopowers] #1348195
12/27/12 05:20 PM
12/27/12 05:20 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

First one is an ET street, look closely at the sidewall and you can read it. Second one is an MT ST, whch actually is made by Cooper for MT and is the same as the Cobra.

MT SR looks like the model below. This is a dedicated street tire available in sizes for rims 15-20 inches in diameter and in widths from 5 to 22 inches. It is the newest technology street design available in a 15" diameter on the market right now as a result of the development for the larger diameter sizes, per MT. MT is also claiming you can get 15-18k miles out of them if you don't abuse them, which means they have a reasonably soft compound so they'll grip good. H speed rating means you can run them up to high speed without much worry.

Sure, everyone has their own opinion on tires. I can say the the carcass and tread design on a BFG is easily 25+ years old and in tire terms, that is a lifetime. BFGs I've had looked good, but are hard and have had lousy traction. I've also read upteen dfferent stories about slipped belts, out of round, and out of balance conditions with BFGs. I also believe the TA lines have been sold off to Coker and they aren't actually made by BFG anymore.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348196
12/27/12 05:36 PM
12/27/12 05:36 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Maxxis Marauader is also a newer tire on the market currently. Their distribution network is predominately motorcycle shops, so you'll need to search to find them. Sizes are available n 14-18 in sizes with widths from 205 to 295. This is also the only other widely available H speed rated tire out there. For guys wanting a taller sidewall with 17-18 inch rims, they have plenty of offerings in 55-70 aspect ratios.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MA-S1-Marauder.aspx

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348197
12/27/12 05:41 PM
12/27/12 05:41 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Quote:

First one is an ET street, look closely at the sidewall and you can read it. Second one is an MT ST, whch actually is made by Cooper for MT and is the same as the Cobra.

MT SR looks like the model below. This is a dedicated street tire available in sizes for rims 15-20 inches in diameter and in widths from 5 to 22 inches. It is the newest technology street design available in a 15" diameter on the market right now as a result of the development for the larger diameter sizes, per MT. MT is also claiming you can get 15-18k miles out of them if you don't abuse them, which means they have a reasonably soft compound so they'll grip good. H speed rating means you can run them up to high speed without much worry.

Sure, everyone has their own opinion on tires. I can say the the carcass and tread design on a BFG is easily 25+ years old and in tire terms, that is a lifetime. BFGs I've had looked good, but are hard and have had lousy traction. I've also read upteen dfferent stories about slipped belts, out of round, and out of balance conditions with BFGs. I also believe the TA lines have been sold off to Coker and they aren't actually made by BFG anymore.

I actually looked at those S/Rs. They don't make them in a 255/60/15 though. Closest they have is a 26 x 10. A little shorter than what I'm looking for

Maybe the Cobra 255/60s are a good choice

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348198
12/27/12 05:51 PM
12/27/12 05:51 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Maxxis Marauader is also a newer tire on the market currently. Their distribution network is predominately motorcycle shops, so you'll need to search to find them. Sizes are available n 14-18 in sizes with widths from 205 to 295. This is also the only other widely available H speed rated tire out there. For guys wanting a taller sidewall with 17-18 inch rims, they have plenty of offerings in 55-70 aspect ratios.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MA-S1-Marauder.aspx

Thanks for all the help TC. One more question for ya if you don't mind. If the Cobras/MT STs are superior to the BFG TAs, why do everyone at the tire shops say the TAs have more grip? Keep in mind, this car likely see around 1,500 miles a year. I'm looking for long life- just a tire that'll grip a little when I get on it.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: mopowers] #1348199
12/27/12 06:05 PM
12/27/12 06:05 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I actually looked at those S/Rs. They don't make them in a 255/60/15 though. Closest they have is a 26 x 10. A little shorter than what I'm looking for

Maybe the Cobra 255/60s are a good choice

True. as an inch smaller diameter, that will translate into a .5" overall height difference. Opposite side of that is the 28x10, which would sit .5" taller than a 255.

Quote:

Thanks for all the help TC. One more question for ya if you don't mind. If the Cobras/MT STs are superior to the BFG TAs, why do everyone at the tire shops say the TAs have more grip? Keep in mind, this car likely see around 1,500 miles a year. I'm looking for long life- just a tire that'll grip a little when I get on it.

Sure, I hope it helps. With the SR and SA1, you can get matching fronts, if that is a big priority. SA1 also comes in exactly a 255/60 and 205/70.

Dunno why dealers in your area bash the Cobras. Do the BFGs offer better dealer pricing with a bigger margins and a larger network? No actual first hand exerience but they look good so they must be good? They sell tons of them therefore they must be good? Since the are M&S rated, they must have decent traction? Only they know exactly. I'd pose the question to the guys driving them first. In my experience, BFGs looked good and last a long time, but the last set I had were on a Fiat Spyder 1800 and it could break them loose. Not exactly a grippy tire in that regard.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348200
12/27/12 06:28 PM
12/27/12 06:28 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Thanks again sir. First hand experience was EXACTLY what I was after! So, I certainly appreciate it! At this point, I'll probably either go with the MT ET streets or the Cobra GTs (for cost reasons). I just called around and it seems the Marauders are impossible to find around my neck.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: mopowers] #1348201
12/28/12 01:18 PM
12/28/12 01:18 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
You bet, I hope it was helpful.

I have also run into problems trying to get Maxxis tires in my area. Only one dealer has them and they wouldn't special order the sizes I wanted so I ended up going with the MT SR through Summit. I've got 26x12 out back and 26x10 up front. No street time on them yet, but they fit and look good.

Re: Tire Recommendation???? [Re: TC@HP2] #1348202
12/28/12 02:02 PM
12/28/12 02:02 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

You bet, I hope it was helpful.

I have also run into problems trying to get Maxxis tires in my area. Only one dealer has them and they wouldn't special order the sizes I wanted so I ended up going with the MT SR through Summit. I've got 26x12 out back and 26x10 up front. No street time on them yet, but they fit and look good.

I'm thinking the Cobra GTs are my best bet. They have my size, are locally available, and pretty inexpensive. And if they are making the MT S/Ts for Mickey Thompson, they can't be that bad, right? If I don't like them, I'll just get something different next time.

Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 1 2