11/21/12 09:02 PM
11/21/12 09:02 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
OK I'm gonna waste my time & try to explain this... Your headlights, turn signals, parking lights & dash lights are all fed by the same overloaded wire... When ever your headlights are on they aren't as bright as you'd like because they don't receive as much power as they would like.... Add the drain of turn signals & the headlights get even less power so they dim, the dash lights dim, the heater blower slows down (also fed by the same overloaded wire) All these loads cause the bulkhead connector to overheat which just amplifies the problem.......

Solution Add relays to feed the higher powered circuits such as high & low beam head lights & the blower motor.... Now these items work properly because they receive a dedicated power source, the previously over loaded bulkhead connector suddenly doesn't carry more than a few amps & all the minor loads receive full voltage causing them to work better too...

Oh BTW If you have more options like power windows or a power top on your car the original problem is worse but the solution is still relatively simple & even more effective....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1323510
11/21/12 09:09 PM
11/21/12 09:09 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline OP
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Please forget about the dimming of the headlights. I wish I hadn't mentioned that now. IT IS THE FLICKERING that has me most concerned now. The headlights flicker (NOT JUST DIM)when idling, along with dash lights, etc. Everything that is lit is flickering. Put a turn signal on and the clock almost flashes completely off and back on with the signal. This is definetly not normal. I apologize for any confusion, but I have mentioned in several previous posts now that it is the FLICKERING of lights that I am looking to address, NOT THE DIMMING, although my guess is once I figure out what is causing the flickering the excessive (not just a little) dimming will go away. Thanks.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: larrymopar360] #1323511
11/21/12 09:14 PM
11/21/12 09:14 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Dimming & Flickering are related, they both indicate excessive resistance in the circuit.... The system was poorly designed 40 years ago & now has 40 years worth of corrosion adding to the resistance which is why adding relays is effective... Do what you want, I'm done...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: VL21] #1323512
11/21/12 09:15 PM
11/21/12 09:15 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Quote:

First, I am an electrical idiot.

Just for something to try, and eliminate the switch, try switch off. Lights on. Then pull on the 4 way flashers. Bypasses the ign switch.
This will probably still pulsate the clock.
I think there is a bad ground somewhere, you may have a bulb filament shorting across or something, or bad firewall connection?
The whole dash panel cluster surround is made of plastic on your car, make sure it is functionally grounded.
While the lights are flashing, walk around, looking for something that is on or pulsing that shouldn't be. Maybe something is being back fed. Dome lights, trailer wiring? If this is a Fla car and has an aftermarket hitch, it is almost guaranteed that scotch locks or that ilk was used to wire in the trailer plug. OK,ok, I've done it myself too.

If I am understanding what you are saying, the clock won't be lit up to see flashing because the key is off.

I have cleaned all the grounds and contacts. The thing I haven't cleaned is the positive cable at the starter, which I planned to do even though I can't see how that would be causing it, but I don't know. No trailer wiring ever. It is an old police car so it did have sirens and lights wired to front, so who knows with that stuff, but I don't see any obvious bare wires or wierdness. So short on time right now that I do a little at a time and then off to work.

Re: Lights dim at idle *DELETED* [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1323513
11/21/12 09:28 PM
11/21/12 09:28 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Post deleted by larrymopar360

Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: larrymopar360] #1323514
11/21/12 09:39 PM
11/21/12 09:39 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
The deal your electrical guy is pointing toward is a connector coming out of the steering column... It feed to & returns from the ignition switch... Pretty common to have it burned like the picture below... But that feeds switched loads & the headlights aren't....

The thing is once you learn to add relays & see how effective they are as well as how cheap you'll be adding them to vehicles that aren't giving you trouble just because it makes for a better vehicle..

7471430-burned.JPG (156 downloads)

Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1323515
11/21/12 09:58 PM
11/21/12 09:58 PM
Newfoundland
M
mopar_man Offline
master
mopar_man  Offline
master
M

Newfoundland
So whats your idle rpm ? How much do you have to bring the rpm up to loose the flickering? If you only have to increase the rpm a little , just get a smaller pulley put on the alt .
This will not solve a wiring issue or a bad circuit but you may get rid of the flickering ,

Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: mopar_man] #1323516
11/22/12 02:33 AM
11/22/12 02:33 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I would do a charging system voltage drop test first. I would also see if the charging system is putting out the right amout of amps at the right voltage just to start and check the voltage regulator switching voltage. The voltage drop test of the charging system will tell you if you have a bad connection somewhere. If you dont know how to check all that maybe you have a buddy who can do it. Or you may have to pay the tech to check it out but make sure you get a tech who knows what he is doing. Sometimes a problem like this is tuff to fix over the internet and calls for a hands on look at it. Good luck , Ron

Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: mopar_man] #1323517
11/27/12 10:07 PM
11/27/12 10:07 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
If I turn the key on but not start the engine, and turn the radio on and a turn signal, the clock light on the radio goes almost completely off and back on with each blink of the signal. Also cuts the radio sound out for a second or two on the first blink of signal, and then just the clock flashes on and off. This happens with no headlights on or anything else. Just key on, radio and a turn signal. So it isn't the idle speed. Thank you.

Re: Lights dim at idle [Re: 383man] #1323518
11/27/12 10:12 PM
11/27/12 10:12 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Quote:

I would do a charging system voltage drop test first. I would also see if the charging system is putting out the right amout of amps at the right voltage just to start and check the voltage regulator switching voltage. The voltage drop test of the charging system will tell you if you have a bad connection somewhere. If you dont know how to check all that maybe you have a buddy who can do it. Or you may have to pay the tech to check it out but make sure you get a tech who knows what he is doing. Sometimes a problem like this is tuff to fix over the internet and calls for a hands on look at it. Good luck , Ron

Ya Ron, I think that is where I am now. At least I have tried everything I can do on my own (with my very limited knowledge). At this point I don't mind paying the guy for an hour or two of labor to find out what the problem is. I think I will have the wires behind the dash exposed when I go see him, just in case. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2