10/06/08 07:45 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

what is the true cost and availability of the other blocks mentioned? also, what options do they have.
i know the world block is really just a glorified replacement block with limited options. pretty much the same for the Indy block.

The nitro and alky guys have been running Brad Anderson billet blocks for years now. I bought my first one around 2000. I still have two cast KB blocks that are my spare motors and have been as fast as my billet motors.

Sorry to see em close.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132115
10/06/08 07:50 AM
10/06/08 07:50 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

that's really bad news. it'll be a shame to lose the only true Race block capable of handling "serious" horsepower.
does anyone else offer anything with comparable features?

Yes, BAE

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132116
10/06/08 11:54 AM
10/06/08 11:54 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The amount of stress that this situation has put on my dad (Ken) and my Grandma is unimaginable. I worked in the shipping department over the summer, and it was obvious the hard times in the nation and racing business in general were starting to knock on our door this year. With the economy the way it is, we took a hit. We just started pumping out our forged block, which is one of the best blocks that could be used in the NHRA and lighter than the rest too, and if that is fustrating to me, imagine how much it is for my father. There is so much potential left, just not many options I am afraid.

I was curious how word was getting around out there and now I guess I know how. I hope some solution is reached, but I don't really know, I try not to talk a lot about it, I just try to remain positive; something good will come from this I hope....

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132117
10/06/08 12:10 PM
10/06/08 12:10 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

The amount of stress that this situation has put on my dad (Ken) and my Grandma is unimaginable. I worked in the shipping department over the summer, and it was obvious the hard times in the nation and racing business in general were starting to knock on our door this year. With the economy the way it is, we took a hit. We just started pumping out our forged block, which is one of the best blocks that could be used in the NHRA and lighter than the rest too, and if that is fustrating to me, imagine how much it is for my father. There is so much potential left, just not many options I am afraid.

I was curious how word was getting around out there and now I guess I know how. I hope some solution is reached, but I don't really know, I try not to talk a lot about it, I just try to remain positive; something good will come from this I hope....

Best of luck to you and your family, I tried to do my part. Lot's of KB stuff in my shop.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132118
10/06/08 12:36 PM
10/06/08 12:36 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

And I hope you are correct, it bothers me that an Icon of this sport is having these problem's, and we are teetering toward's losing them, so I pray that a solution come's soon,,,, chin up and stay strong, you have my moral support, it's all I can offer

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: Challenger 1] #132119
10/06/08 12:44 PM
10/06/08 12:44 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Best of luck to you and your family, I tried to do my part. Lot's of KB stuff in my shop.

Same here, best of luck...I would have hoped that with the past success and popularity of KB that there would be companies wanting to merge and carry on a great product

Rickster

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: rickstershemi] #132120
10/06/08 12:57 PM
10/06/08 12:57 PM
California, USA
B
blairboy3 Offline
top fuel
blairboy3  Offline
top fuel
B

California, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here, best of luck...I would have hoped that with the past success and popularity of KB that there would be companies wanting to merge and carry on a great product

Rickster

X3... it's a shame what this country is coming too. I was truly hoping to purchase a KB block in the future, for now I guess I'll have to figure something else out. Maybe your dad can get in on some of that 700 billion bailout money....
Oh wait, that money is for companies who's irresponsible financial policies have put us in this mess

Anyway, best of luck to you guys, hope it all works out for the best

1968 Plymouth Fury III 4-Door: 12.79 @ 115, 60'- 1.93 (Hey... it's a Cruise ship... what do you expect?!) Famoso Raceway, 02/08
Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: rickstershemi] #132121
10/06/08 01:00 PM
10/06/08 01:00 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Rickster

One would think, that's still sort of what we are hoping/looking for, but as of yet there seems to be little intrest, simply people calling to say their sorry to hear about it. It's a shame really, the company has so much history and more innovations left to contribute.

Last edited by kbracer; 10/06/08 01:01 PM.
Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132122
10/06/08 06:19 PM
10/06/08 06:19 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Offline
master
Leigh  Offline
master
L

Anoka County, MN
This dang recession has really messed things up. 3 of my friends lost their jobs last week. Hang tough, and good luck to you and your family business.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132123
10/06/08 08:15 PM
10/06/08 08:15 PM
Michigan
begood Offline
super stock
begood  Offline
super stock

Michigan
I hope something is worked out to keep the business going.

But I know these are real bad times, I just hope I can survive them.

Bill.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING, AS TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER
Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: B1CUDA] #132124
10/06/08 10:28 PM
10/06/08 10:28 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds to me like the Bank pulled their credit line.....

You apparently have no idea as to what you are saying. The entire Black family are very close friends of my family, and I take offense to a flatout STUPID comment by someone that is just throwing out a comment, just to do it. Not cool at all. If you knew these people on a personal level, you would NEVER say or think of anything in a negative fashion, regarding the entire KB Racing company.

For those of you that are not into making comments like the one above, KB Racing has been for sale for quite some time, in a private, word of mouth fashion. With the hit on the economy, foundry prices going sky high, etc., etc., Ken has had to make some very difficult decisions. Let me tell you, this is killing him, as he has worked very hard over the years, to carry on the great tradition and products that his legendary father created. Very, very sad.

Well said Chris..

This is a crazy time and the problem isn't always pulling a credit line.
People have lost their spending power--alot of this is attributed to fuel costs skyrocketing--so they cut back on the non essentials.
A Keith Black Engine Block would fall into that category if you had to weigh it versus, say, rent, eating, fueling your vehicle, or school clothes for your kids, The KB Block will wait for another day. Sad but true in too many instances.
The middle class didn't create this problem, but are told to pay to fix it..
An honest business like KB is forced out by the greed of others..

Maybe we can all get a job like this..
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/09/30/the-best-temp-gig-in-history.aspx
That is why small business can't get a break..Too many greedy haves vs. have nots..

Chris..

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #132125
10/06/08 10:54 PM
10/06/08 10:54 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Big_Fish Offline
enthusiast
Big_Fish  Offline
enthusiast

Pennsylvania, USA
Wow! Unbelievable times. Just hope things turn around soon and we can all put it behind us without loosing so much in the process. Your right, family & food come first followed by all the other living expenses and what evers left you get to use toward a hobby. Great companies like KB cater to our left overs and there aren't as many big dogs to buy from them any more like in years past. I was hoping to buy something more bullet proof and upgrade in another 2 years.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! #132126
10/07/08 10:23 AM
10/07/08 10:23 AM
Sonora CA
Mopar_Rich Offline
top fuel
Mopar_Rich  Offline
top fuel

Sonora CA
Quote:

I am writing a book for CarTech books about how to build a max-performance 426 style gen-2 Hemi. So I called Ken and he invited me down for a day to shoot photos. I can only say that spending a few hours with Ken Black was a breath of fresh air. His hospitality was consistent with the very positive KB image. As all of you have said, KB is dedicated to customer support and makes some of the best parts out there for a Mopar. I was really impressed with Ken's forged block program and the follow-on CNC machining. I truly hope that a white knight helps one of the BEST Mopar suppliers on the planet! Good luck Ken!

Rich Nedbal

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: Mopar_Rich] #132127
10/07/08 10:36 AM
10/07/08 10:36 AM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
I got the chance to speak w/ Ken Black on the phone when I ordered my block a couple years ago, very nice fella! Very happy w/ the block too, extremely nice piece, one of the best purchases I've made for my car. I wish yall the best in this unfortunate situation. CHIP

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: an8sec70cuda] #132128
10/07/08 03:11 PM
10/07/08 03:11 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Wow, sad to hear one of the legends in the hobby is in trouble. Best of luck in comming out of this ahead.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #132129
10/07/08 03:34 PM
10/07/08 03:34 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
StewartP  Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
S

Florida
Early KB pictures

4735643-Picture16.jpg (670 downloads)