Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I have an Eddy 1406 on a DD bone stock 318 which'll have the same vac routing as your 1405. I'll check the vac in both ports tomorrow

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300618
10/05/12 06:21 PM
10/05/12 06:21 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
David_Trimble  Offline OP
super stock
D

OK
Well I hope you have better luck than me.

1) I connected the vacuum gauge up to the right side port (driver's side) of the carb and started the engine. At ~700 I was getting 15"Hg- pretty much what the left side was doing. That blows the idea of trying to use the other port....

2) I resealed the right port and connected the gauge up the left port, then with the engine running I started backing off the idle speed. The engine died around 300rpm and during the time I was turning down the idle speed screw the gauge still read around 15"Hg up until around 350rpm where it dropped off to 5"Hg.

Is anyone else out there getting similar readings from their Edelbrock 1405/1406 that aren't encountering any engine issues?

Robert- I'll wait to hear from what you find out and if your carb is giving a good reading then I'll probably have to call Edelbrock Tech Support and find out what they think....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300619
10/05/12 09:38 PM
10/05/12 09:38 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I checked it & I have no vac on the pass port and full (~18 in hg) on the drivers side. This is at idle at ~600 or so rpm

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300620
10/06/12 09:40 AM
10/06/12 09:40 AM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

I checked it & I have no vac on the pass port and full (~18 in hg) on the drivers side. This is at idle at ~600 or so rpm

Ok it sounds like I have a defective carb then. I'll give Edelbrock's Tech support a call to see if they know what could cause this and if it can be repaired (either by me or a carb shop), otherwise it looks like I'm in the market for a new carb...

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300621
10/06/12 09:55 AM
10/06/12 09:55 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Ok it sounds like I have a defective carb then. I'll give Edelbrock's Tech support a call to see if they know what could cause this and if it can be repaired (either by me or a carb shop), otherwise it looks like I'm in the market for a new carb...

David,take the carb off and with the idle screw seated on the tang on the throttle shaft (the way it is now) and off the fast idle cam see if the throttle plates are above the transfer slot.If they are I would go back to your timing,I really don't think you have enough,a little more initial may surprise you.

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: 62maxwgn] #1300622
10/06/12 11:22 AM
10/06/12 11:22 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
What Max said, See (& post) how much of the long transfer slot is showing, want pretty much just enough so you see a "square" not a rectangle

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: 62maxwgn] #1300623
10/06/12 11:26 AM
10/06/12 11:26 AM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

David,take the carb off and with the idle screw seated on the tang on the throttle shaft (the way it is now) and off the fast idle cam see if the throttle plates are above the transfer slot.If they are I would go back to your timing,I really don't think you have enough,a little more initial may surprise you.

Ok- I'll check it. I got to thinking after my previous post that I can't really see how the transfer slot could've been screwed up at the factory (not impossible I suppose- just not likely). But then again I'm only 2 turns out so I know I'm not running the throttle abnormally wide for idle speed. But I'll pull it off and report my findings later today.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300624
10/06/12 04:34 PM
10/06/12 04:34 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Ok 2 things I discovered:

1) With the fast idle cam off, and the throttle closed down to it's original position (that is, I didn't touch the idle set speed screw since pulling the carb) I looked at the transfer slot. The transfer slot that was exposed under the throttle blade was *not* square but rectangular (much to my surprise) So it looks like I need to just work on the timing then.

2) One of the secondaries was slightly gummed up with what looked like tar. Turning the primaries to WOT did not open the secondaries until I got them unstuck. If the secondaries were sticking I'm wondering if that might've contributed to my other complaint I had posted about the engine sometimes not returning to idle after running up the RPM.

So before I put the carb back on it looks like I'll need to do some cleaning....

I'll post pics later today- don't have access to my camera right now otherwise I'd include them here (and I'll take them before I start cleaning, although I already did wipe down the primary throttle a little)....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300625
10/06/12 11:28 PM
10/06/12 11:28 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
General shot of the underside of the carb (note crud on secondaries)

Closeup shot of a transfer slot in one of the primaries.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300626
10/06/12 11:35 PM
10/06/12 11:35 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
sure seems like alot of slot for only 2 turns of the idle speed screw. Yeah I'd clean the carb thoroughly & continue on

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300627
10/06/12 11:51 PM
10/06/12 11:51 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

sure seems like alot of slot for only 2 turns of the idle speed screw. Yeah I'd clean the carb thoroughly & continue on

It does to me too (hence my surprise at discovering this). When I start cleaning up the carb tomorrow, what I'll do is turn the idle set screw completely out so the throttle is slammed shut, and check to see how much transfer slot is still exposed (if any). Then I'll turn the screw back in until I see it just contact the stop and count the turns needed to position the throttle so a 'square' of the transfer slot is exposed. That should turn out to be < 2 turns. If not, then I must've screwed up checking the turn count to begin with .

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300628
10/07/12 11:16 AM
10/07/12 11:16 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

It does to me too (hence my surprise at discovering this). When I start cleaning up the carb tomorrow, what I'll do is turn the idle set screw completely out so the throttle is slammed shut, and check to see how much transfer slot is still exposed (if any). Then I'll turn the screw back in until I see it just contact the stop and count the turns needed to position the throttle so a 'square' of the transfer slot is exposed. That should turn out to be < 2 turns. If not, then I must've screwed up checking the turn count to begin with .

David,out of curiousity,how are you adjusting your idle speed and your mixture screws ?

Here is an AVS that idled at 800 rpm and worked perfect.You have way too much transfer slot exposed.Like I said before,bump up the timing,adjust your idle speed then your mixture screws.You will have to adjust both mixture and idle screws more than once until you get it right,one affects the other.There is no set in stone amount of turns on either adjustment,just a starting point,adjustment is whatever your particular engine requires.

7410585-PA070544.JPG (203 downloads)
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: 62maxwgn] #1300629
10/07/12 04:37 PM
10/07/12 04:37 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Well I got the carb apart and I found a few things wrong....

1) One of the nozzles on the accelerator squirter is completely plugged That might explain the slight hesitation that I was hearing when I blipped the throttle, even after fixing the distributor...

2) Found some more tar on/in the boost venturi on the driver's side. It was building up in the crevaces between the venturi and where it mounts to the carb body.

I thought I'd just be able to clean this up (surprisingly, both bowls are pretty clean- no sediment) but to do the job I'd like to do I'll probably wind up destroying some of the gaskets, so I'm going to order a gasket set for it and replace everything. Might as well since I'm going to have to tear this down completely to make sure I get all that tar out of there

Quote:

David,out of curiousity,how are you adjusting your idle speed and your mixture screws ?

Here is an AVS that idled at 800 rpm and worked perfect.You have way too much transfer slot exposed.Like I said before,bump up the timing,adjust your idle speed then your mixture screws.You will have to adjust both mixture and idle screws more than once until you get it right,one affects the other.There is no set in stone amount of turns on either adjustment,just a starting point,adjustment is whatever your particular engine requires.

Thanks for the pic Max - I did my little experiement with resetting the idle screw so it was just touching the stop with the throttle completely closed and when I looked at the transfer slot I saw pretty much what your picture shows - maybe slightly less than a 'square's worth.

How I had adjusted the idle speed- well I was going with the factory setting of 750rpm (I have manual trans), and using the tach I would start each mixture screw at 1-1/2 turns out from the seat. Then I'd turn out one until I maxed my RPMs, then gave it a 1/4 turn more, reset the idle speed then repeat procedure on the other mixture screw, then repeated again on the first screw. This was all with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

But when I get everything back together I'll increase the timing and re-tune everything to see where it gets me.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300630
10/08/12 04:16 PM
10/08/12 04:16 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Hmm.... well I got the carb cleaned out, but I had one question....

On the primary and secondary boost venturis, on the 'backs' there's a plug where the passageway was milled and sealed (see pic). Is there supposed to be some epoxy to help seal it, or is it ok as-is? If it's supposed to be sealed, what would be good for that?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300631
10/08/12 09:20 PM
10/08/12 09:20 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
clean it with a half second blast of starting fluid then seal it with some 2 part JB weld. put a piece of scotch tape over it & turn it upside down so the JB will settle flat against that flat side & not go inside & possibly restrict a passage/cause a problem. Let it set up for several days, maybe less.

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300632
10/09/12 11:05 PM
10/09/12 11:05 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Ok, I've got the JB Weld setting right now. The directions say it'll take 24 hrs to fully set, but since the scotch tape is over it, I'm going to wait 24 hrs, remove the tape (the JB Weld should be set by then) then give it at least another 24 hours before I reassemble the carb (unless Robert you think it really needs to go a week?).

Meanwhile I've got another question - the tar that I found in the carb: what could cause gas to do this? The only thing I can think of is that I've used starter fluid to get the engine to fire if it's sat for a while. I'm wondering if it's reacting to the gas and causing the gas to thicken up. I've never heard of gas doing this before but then again I'm thinking of 'real' gas and not what they've got out nowadays. Anyone have any ideas on this?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300633
10/10/12 12:25 AM
10/10/12 12:25 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
letting it set the time you mentioned should be fine. I think as you said just poor gas (especially E10) is known for that, not from using starting fluid tho starting fluid is reportedly hard on an eng (I use it tho when I have to)

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300634
10/10/12 08:42 PM
10/10/12 08:42 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

letting it set the time you mentioned should be fine. I think as you said just poor gas (especially E10) is known for that, not from using starting fluid tho starting fluid is reportedly hard on an eng (I use it tho when I have to)

Damn.... I know gas is bad nowadays but is it THIS bad???

I noticed this today as I was cleaning the venturis. They weren't really that dirty but I got to looking at what I thought was dirt and realized that either the carb had a bad casting when I got it and I never noticed until now, or that I'm really running my car off of sulfuric acid

Is this going to be so bad where I might as well replace the carb? Or could I minimize it by carfully applying some JB Weld? I'd almost rather not go that route- as good as JB is, I shudder to think what could happen if that managed to flake off and fall into the engine while it was running....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300635
10/10/12 09:48 PM
10/10/12 09:48 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
I would get a gallon or two of the carb soak cleaner and give that a good soaking. then blow it with 150 psi of air with rubber airtip/gun.

a little rubbing with a soft wheel brush in a dremal should take care of the bad spot in the venturie.

that e-10 is corosive and thats what it does to alum after a while. I have a carb in way worse shape that that from sitting about 10 yrs now. its white flaky scale and frooze up solid.

with a good soaking you can get all of the tar out with air and water rinse with out removeing the mill plugs on the end of the passages. as long as they have not been removed they should not leak.

but the JB weld is ok for this also. I do the jet wells on all of the q-jets i rebuild. not so much on edelbrokes.

a tip I have found going behind goobers rebuilding carbs is keep the front 2 jets together and the rear 2 jets together as pairs.

I have fixed more 20$ swap meet edelbroke/carter carbs with nothing more than the jets all mixed up in the wrong holes. they call it junk and could not tune it. I set them back up to stock specs and it works fine.

I have those springs and squirters you can have when you get back to a base line to start fine tuning it.

a clean carb is a happy carb.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 10/10/12 09:50 PM.
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1300636
10/10/12 11:16 PM
10/10/12 11:16 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

a little rubbing with a soft wheel brush in a dremal should take care of the bad spot in the venturie.

Well, the metal's definately eroded here, it's not tar that you're seeing in the photo. I do have a dremel and a wire wheel for it so I could at least smooth out as much as I can on it.

Also, after I've rebuilt the engine I've run ONLY ~92 octane (supposedly) ethanol-free gas. I say 'supposedly' because I wouldn't be surprised if they add a little to the gas anyway.

But it sounds like that's normal 'wear and tear' and that the carb will probably run ok as-is (aside from removing the tar, and I'm almost done with that)?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7