09/15/12 08:48 PM
09/15/12 08:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Happy Birthday RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Yes post a pic of what they did. Is anything rubbing that should not be? If needed have you got another dizzy you can pirate a slot assy from? On top if you can find a good steel washer of the right dimentions then yes use it.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300558
09/15/12 09:03 PM
09/15/12 09:03 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
David_Trimble  Offline OP
super stock
D

OK
Nothing rubbing where it shouldn't be. Unfortunately I don't have a spare distributor.

Last edited by David_Trimble; 09/15/12 09:07 PM.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300559
09/15/12 09:55 PM
09/15/12 09:55 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Oh OK I see what they did, just deburring from welding the slots to shorten them. If the round shoulder on the bottom center which contacts the plastic spacer is not ground away (looks untouched in the pic) then add a washer on top to reduce the top end play. If the shoulder was ground off I would additionally add a washer on top of the plastic spacer so the slot piece is just off of the weights to maintain the original dimention. If yours is ground I can get the amount of thickness tomorrow

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300560
09/15/12 10:06 PM
09/15/12 10:06 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
you can get a reman dist from autozone for 30 bux or so.

just cause someone 'recurved it' does not mean they got it to work right.

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300561
09/15/12 10:11 PM
09/15/12 10:11 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

Oh OK I see what they did, just deburring from welding the slots to shorten them. If the round shoulder on the bottom center which contacts the plastic spacer is not ground away (looks untouched in the pic) then add a washer on top to reduce the top end play. If the shoulder was ground off I would additionally add a washer on top of the plastic spacer so the slot piece is just off of the weights to maintain the original dimention. If yours is ground I can get the amount of thickness tomorrow

After looking it over, the bottom center shoulder looks largely untouched. The scuff marks may've been from the deburring process as you say. The shoulder is about 1/16" thick- maybe a little thinner, but not by much. When assembled, it still clears the weights and the plastic spacer does stand slightly above the weights (again, around 1/16") I'm thinking that the slop I see is just a result from normal wear.

So I'll try to find a washer (or washers) that will fit the top part under the clip (and preferably hi grade), and I assume I'm shooting for as close to .005" end play as I can get.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1300562
09/15/12 10:14 PM
09/15/12 10:14 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

you can get a reman dist from autozone for 30 bux or so.

just cause someone 'recurved it' does not mean they got it to work right.

True. I did check with Autozone and I can get a reman for about $45, core charge included. I might do that anyway so I can get parts from it in case I still run into my stumble problem even after getting the distributor shimmed....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300563
09/15/12 10:16 PM
09/15/12 10:16 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Sounds good but go looser than .005" as you need room to manipulate the clip in and out. Just dont need .055" that you have now

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300564
09/16/12 11:38 AM
09/16/12 11:38 AM
Lubbock, TX
E
Erics5th Offline
UsedtobeSatellite6
Erics5th  Offline
UsedtobeSatellite6
E

Lubbock, TX
Do yourself a favor and get a cap and rotor from these guys. http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/distributorCaps

The last Echlin cap I bought was garbage... flash on the terminals, ground off center, etc. Much better quality with the Vertex.

Eric
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300565
09/17/12 07:30 PM
09/17/12 07:30 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Well, after doing some searching and measuring this is what I've found out:

I need a washer that's 7/16" OD and 5/16" ID (and at this point, you're probably beginning to see the problem). But the closest SAE standard washer I found was a #8 washer that would work on the OD but I'd have to drill out the ID to work. This is beyond what I could do with a drill press (I'm not able to come up with a way to safely hold down the washer while I drill) so I'm beginning to think I need to sleeve it instead. Failing that, that remaned distributor at O'Reilly's is starting to look pretty good...

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300566
09/17/12 09:04 PM
09/17/12 09:04 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
hold the washer on the edge in a pair of vice grips then go slowly with your drill press. I've been wondering if your dist is the original 40+ year old unit & what shape the bushings (side play on the top slot assy) are in. I was thinking that maybe when they shortened the slots they exchanged the dist for a rebuilt one but maybe they didn't. See how much side play you have. Actually your lower end play is good from your descrip and they did no damage by deburring the welding and that was not what caused the excessive upper axial play, probably just a stackup of tolerances & now all is good only the upper play needs to be reduced to keep the rotor off of the cap terminals if the side play is good. But is the slot length they reduced it to correct for your app. But we need to solve the original complaint & worry about slot length later. As Scratchn said the rebuilt dists are a good deal for the money & you can even switch the cam/slots assy between the two as when they rebuild they only replace the 2 bushings and size them by reaming to fit the shaft as the rebuild dist will likely have the way too much mechanical (slot length) like yours originally had (36 at the crank ) before it was welded. I'd suggest get a washer under the nub, get a new cap/rotor and continue on to solve the original complaint unless your bushing side play is excessive right now. Save the old cap to drill it to check rotor phasing

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300567
09/17/12 10:19 PM
09/17/12 10:19 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

hold the washer on the edge in a pair of vice grips then go slowly with your drill press. I've been wondering if your dist is the original 40+ year old unit & what shape the bushings (side play on the top slot assy) are in. I was thinking that maybe when they shortened the slots they exchanged the dist for a rebuilt one but maybe they didn't. See how much side play you have. Actually your lower end play is good from your descrip and they did no damage by deburring the welding and that was not what caused the excessive upper axial play, probably just a stackup of tolerances & now all is good only the upper play needs to be reduced to keep the rotor off of the cap terminals if the side play is good. But is the slot length they reduced it to correct for your app. But we need to solve the original complaint & worry about slot length later. As Scratchn said the rebuilt dists are a good deal for the money & you can even switch the cam/slots assy between the two as when they rebuild they only replace the 2 bushings and size them by reaming to fit the shaft as the rebuild dist will likely have the way too much mechanical (slot length) like yours originally had (36 at the crank ) before it was welded. I'd suggest get a washer under the nub, get a new cap/rotor and continue on to solve the original complaint unless your bushing side play is excessive right now. Save the old cap to drill it to check rotor phasing

Hmm... I think I can do that with the vice-grips. I'll also clamp the grips onto the drill press platform to make sure the whole setup doesn't try to 'wander'. I'm concerned about the resulting washer collapsing from the vice-grips when I drill out the center and weaken the washer- but then again I've got a small bag of the suckers so if that happens I can always try again.....

A thought- rather than just drill out one washer I could drill out several by stacking them. That way there'll be less worry about the vice-grip crushing or distorting the results.

As for the distributor itself- I think the side play on both the cam/slot shaft and the lower shaft is ok- I did wiggle both around and they felt pretty tight. As for as the end play on the cam/slot shaft I keep looking at the assembly and can only conclude that it's just wear that caused the excessive end-play. The only other thing I can think of that might cause it is poorly designed cap/rotor combination. Maybe the cap and rotor I currently have were not meant to run with each other? I can check them for part numbers.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300568
09/17/12 10:44 PM
09/17/12 10:44 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
You could make a little spacer about 1/2" by ~1/4" to put under the Vise Grips to stabilize the drilling. That way, you're sure to be drilling straight. A step drill would work best.
Just a thought, did you check the orientation of the "S" link, because I found this could have a big effect on the pump shot.

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: rustbuckett68] #1300569
09/17/12 10:56 PM
09/17/12 10:56 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

You could make a little spacer about 1/2" by ~1/4" to put under the Vise Grips to stabilize the drilling. That way, you're sure to be drilling straight. A step drill would work best.
Just a thought, did you check the orientation of the "S" link, because I found this could have a big effect on the pump shot.

That's a good idea on the step drill- I've got one sitting around somewhere. I was going to run out and get a 5/16" drill bit but the step drill would be much easier, and would ensure that the hole stays centered.

'S' link.... I assume you mean the accelerator pump connector rod? I think it's in right, but now that you mention it, I don't seem to find it on the exploded view in my Edelbrock owners manual so I'm not 100% sure?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300570
09/19/12 07:09 PM
09/19/12 07:09 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Well I don't know how I did it but I managed to make a washer that would fit And it fits perfectly (I can't get over how lucky I was) - after I managed to get the clip back into place (I spun the clip around a turn or 2 to make sure it was in and seated) I measured the end play and got around .005". No more slop - and there's no interference from the centrifugal advance that I can tell- it operates pretty smoothly by hand. I'll oil the mechanism (it was pretty dry when I took it apart) and should have the distributor together and back in the engine before the weekend.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300571
09/19/12 07:18 PM
09/19/12 07:18 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
progress.

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1300572
09/20/12 08:03 PM
09/20/12 08:03 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Well I started reassembling the distributor today and when I got to the point where I could install the retaining collar on the lower shaft I noticed that the holes had elongated. Not by much but enough where if I'm going to do this right I might as well replace it. There's no friction fit between the pin and the collar- because of that it's hard to tell if I have correct end-play.

The only place I know of to get a new collar is a dealer, and I know it'll have to be ordered- so it looks like the distributor's not going in this weekend

Edit- After looking at it again I see that the pin is a friction fit in one of the holes in the collar- but the other hole is fairly loose. If I have to I probably could live with this, but to be sure I'll replace it if I can....

Last edited by David_Trimble; 09/20/12 08:20 PM.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300573
09/20/12 09:05 PM
09/20/12 09:05 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

The only place I know of to get a new collar is a dealer, and I know it'll have to be ordered- so it looks like the distributor's not going in this weekend

All is not lost . It is not a dealer item but Lowes or Menards, one of the big stores does have it. a 1/2" ID plastic collar, you'll see it. Get several as it'll take some precise drilling

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300574
09/20/12 09:32 PM
09/20/12 09:32 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Cool- I'll check out Lowes this weekend of the dealer fall through then. Thanks!

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: David_Trimble] #1300575
09/20/12 09:39 PM
09/20/12 09:39 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Yes, just get a 1/2" ID one that looks similar to the OE one and if it is a bit longer no problem as there's alot of room on the shaft & nothing even remotely close that would interfere/hit. Do get several unless you're a better driller than I am and there's room around the circumference to make several pairs of holes on each one if need be to get it perfect

Re: Edelbrock accelerator pump adjustment question [Re: RapidRobert] #1300576
09/22/12 06:42 PM
09/22/12 06:42 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
super stock
D

OK
Ok, first of all I did manage to find a couple of nylon bushings at Lowes that will work if need be. I called the dealer Friday about the collar kit but I'm told that the part number isn't coming up as being valid on the parts system, so it's no longer available (big surprise)

However, I took another look at the original collar and I think it's actually ok- I'm going to go with it and if it turns out that it's got to be replaced, well I now have some collars that could do the job.

My current question though: when reassembling the collar on the shaft I took a measurement of the end-play of the lower shaft and got a pretty low number- .002-.003. Plus I could feel a slight binding going on when I turned the lower shaft, so I took it all apart and looked again. I noticed that the upper bearing in the distributor body seems to sit up higher out of the 'floor' of the distributor body than I thought it should- about 1/8-1/4" above. This may or may not be correct, I don't know- I would've thought the top edge of the bearing would be more or less flush with the floor.

But to be sure, I thought I'd ask first to see if that's ok because if it isn't, it might explain the binding and small end-play. But if it is, then I'm wondering if I can eliminate one of the two washers that's under the centrifugal assembly, to try to get a little more end-play and less binding.

But if those two washers needs to be there though, is there anything else I can do to increase the end-play?

David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7