07/26/09 12:10 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

gene, are the intrepid and gm ti-rods metric thread ? did you peruse thru a master catalog for descriptions of rod ends ? and lastly, what alignment specs did you use ? thanks !

1, The Intrepid tie rods are metric. I did not have any GM tie rods here, but would presume they were metric as well. The bolts that attach the inner connections to the rack are metric. The U-joint connection on the GM rack is a small version of a 3/4" double D, probably also metric, the intermediate shaft has a u-joint with the female GM size on one end and a male 3/4" double D shaft on the other end. I connected to a Dakota steering column that used a 3/4 double D female connection.
2, The "research" involved looking at, and carefull measurement with a tape measure, of existing componets I had laying around. I got some old Mopar "stuff" still laying around, though not nearly as much as I used to have. Back in the day, I used to dirt track race Mopar cars, when your broke, and the parts are broke, you begin to figure out what parts can swap with other parts by a bit of measure, and a lot of trial & error.

3, Alignment? 0 degrees camber, about 2 degrees + caster, and 1/8" toe out, with a tape measure and a level. Remember, years of dirt racing. The specs I've seen on a 39 were 0 camber, 0 caster, and 0 toe, but I like a bit of self center on the wheel, and a bit of toe out because I drive faster then 50 mph.

Re: Update on 39 Dodge [Re: poorboy] #129583
07/26/09 10:54 AM
07/26/09 10:54 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i'm with you about being broke with broke parts ! you make do with what ya got ! and the 1/8" toe out shows dirt in your past ! i do the "level & string" method myself [well, really a speedway caster/camber hub gage and homemade toe plates] because i can't see giving someone around here 50-70$ to make the steering wheel "crooked". i can do that myself !

Page 2 of 2 1 2