07/14/12 02:53 AM
07/14/12 02:53 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Well, last week I just bought my 3rd first old car, a 1968 Dodge Dart GT. I found her on Craigslist and she was a decent deal. So I checked her out with my dad and we were able to bargain him down big time, since he said it was a 318 car but was unsure because that's what his relatives told him. Well anyway, the car has been in that one family all it's life and the reason why the owner wanted to sell it is because it was just sitting outside parked for an entire year. They wanted someone who knew and enjoy the car. So I bought it and had him drop it over to my house. She's not perfect but she was definitely a good start and we got her at a great price.

Here's the car when we were checking her out (They're mostly the bad stuff)...

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267240
07/14/12 03:05 AM
07/14/12 03:05 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Well, for the next couple days after I bought the car, I was shocked. I was always contemplating to myself, "Did I really just buy a car?" It's that weird feeling when you have been patiently waiting for so long to get that one thing that you have really wanted and once you get it you're not really sure you wanted it anymore. Well, that all changed once I started to learn more about her and how she works. During this time I was still searching for insurance and trying to get her registered.

Now, here are the good pics!

Here is a picture of her partially in my garage. It's kind of dark but you get the idea of how she looks.

And here's a side view of her good side...

And here is the rear (one of my favorite views ). Baby got back!

Here are the interior pictures. Most of it has been redone (O and the pedal covers are gone!)...

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267241
07/14/12 03:14 AM
07/14/12 03:14 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
So last week I got bored one day and decided to clean and find what treasures (or junk) were in the trunk. And this is what I found...

So one of the first things I found when I opened the trunk was a box full of paints from when this car had a (bad) repaint. At least I have a little left over for touch ups...

The next thing I found was a ripped bag of 2 disassembled distributors. I don't know why they were disassembled but at least I have something to play with...

The third item I found in my trunk was a bag of opened Champion spark plugs. I don't know if that is a good thing because from what I heard they weren't that good.

The next things on our list are a couple of mats, jack stands, and a container half filled with coolant. I think the reason why the trunk rusted a little is because one of the mats has a big GM symbol on it and I think the Dart is allergic...

Last, but certainly not least, I found ZOMBIE HOMER!!!

After all of that stuff was removed I got down to the big open space and here is the trunk. I did a little test I saw on Gearz where you take a screwdriver and hit the floor to see if you puncture it and the trunk was solid! Unfortunately I don't have the means of cleaning it right now so I just put the mats in the trunk and left it for another day.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267242
07/14/12 03:52 AM
07/14/12 03:52 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
These are the goals I have for the project.

Now: Fix, Maintain, Drive, and Enjoy. There are little things that need to be fixed on the car to make it better. For instance the driver door is not original to the car and wasn't aligned when bought. I need to clean the rust in the trunk. I obviously need to replace the power steering hose after it blew up Tuesday turning into my garage. I need to fix the locks and probably add a kill switch. And other little things.

Short term: Disc brake, bigger rear end, and slightly bigger wheels and tires all in big bolt pattern. Subframe connectors. Upgrade/redo the audio (have a Sony player in the glove compartment with upgraded speakers). Fix the AC (I think someone exhanged the AC for power steering since the car isn't coded for PS but is for AC and it still has some Ac components).

Long term: Upgraded engine (I am thinking 3rd Gen Hemi or a turbo charged efi small block), T56 manual, new paint job (probably silver or blue), 18" wheels, big brakes, update the suspension (thinking Hotchkis TVS), upgraded interior, side exit exhaust, etc.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267243
07/14/12 04:05 AM
07/14/12 04:05 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Now: Fix, Maintain, Drive, and Enjoy. There are little things that need to be fixed on the car to make it better. For instance the driver door is not original to the car and wasn't aligned when bought.

Is it not shutting right? Or does it just not look aligned?

Quote:

I need to clean the rust in the trunk.

Just use a brush and vacuum up the loose stuff. Then castrol super clean and rag and water to clean the dirt.

Quote:

I obviously need to replace the power steering hose after it blew up Tuesday turning into my garage.

Was it the pressure or return hose? Did you get the hose yet?

Quote:

I need to fix the locks and

What's wrong with the locks?

Quote:

probably add a kill switch.

Why do you need a kill switch? Should be last on the list. I wouldn't mess with the electrical until you get the other stuff sorted out and put some miles on it making sure it's realible.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: autoxcuda] #1267244
07/14/12 11:16 AM
07/14/12 11:16 AM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
Its really cool that you got that Dart. Should be a good runner, while you do your upgrades. A body parts are plentiful and usually cheap if you're patient. Post what parts you need, when you need them I'm sure we'll help you out. Keep your eyes out for a 73+ 4dr (w disc brakes) to part out and you might be able to get your big bolt conversion pretty cheap once you sell of the leftover parts. Congrats again!

PS, whatever upgrades you do for now be sure to keep the Dart running and driving, and make sure you have the $ for them before you tear into it.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: autoxcuda] #1267245
07/14/12 12:58 PM
07/14/12 12:58 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Now: Fix, Maintain, Drive, and Enjoy. There are little things that need to be fixed on the car to make it better. For instance the driver door is not original to the car and wasn't aligned when bought.

Is it not shutting right? Or does it just not look aligned?

Quote:

I need to clean the rust in the trunk.

Just use a brush and vacuum up the loose stuff. Then castrol super clean and rag and water to clean the dirt.

Quote:

I obviously need to replace the power steering hose after it blew up Tuesday turning into my garage.

Was it the pressure or return hose? Did you get the hose yet?

Quote:

I need to fix the locks and

What's wrong with the locks?

Quote:

probably add a kill switch.

Why do you need a kill switch? Should be last on the list. I wouldn't mess with the electrical until you get the other stuff sorted out and put some miles on it making sure it's realible.

1) The driver's door doesn't shut right unless I really force it and the window overlaps the rear windows a decent amount. When you close the door you can here something is interfering with one another in the door latches.

2) Ok! Easy rust repair for the trunk. Thank you!

3) It was the pressure hose. Rockauto doesn't sell them so I was wondering what other places I should go to order them.

4) The lock in the passenger door doesn't work at all. Key won't go in completely and the locking mechanism (or tab inside) will not lock the door at all. You push the tab down and it doesn't go down. Almost as if it is just floating in its spot. The driver's side and ignition work fine.

5) I just thought the kill switch would be a nice idea to slow someone down if they were trying to steal the car.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: NV69B7RR] #1267246
07/14/12 01:00 PM
07/14/12 01:00 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Its really cool that you got that Dart. Should be a good runner, while you do your upgrades. A body parts are plentiful and usually cheap if you're patient. Post what parts you need, when you need them I'm sure we'll help you out. Keep your eyes out for a 73+ 4dr (w disc brakes) to part out and you might be able to get your big bolt conversion pretty cheap once you sell of the leftover parts. Congrats again!

PS, whatever upgrades you do for now be sure to keep the Dart running and driving, and make sure you have the $ for them before you tear into it.

Thanks! I definitely want to keep the car running and driving as long as possible. That's why a drivetrain swap isn't due till long term goals.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267247
07/14/12 01:35 PM
07/14/12 01:35 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

3) It was the pressure hose. Rockauto doesn't sell them so I was wondering what other places I should go to order them.

Is it a Federal or Saginaw pump? If you don't know off hand post a picture.

Some of the listings in RockAuto are incorrect. If you can get the correct part number, you can search from there.

You can just get it locally too.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: autoxcuda] #1267248
07/14/12 02:41 PM
07/14/12 02:41 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Here is a picture of the pump. If I recall correctly the 69 Dart service manual called it the 1.06" pump...

With regards to the lock. This is how much the key and the locking mechanism go in (sorry for my poor descriptions)...

And when it comes to the driver's side, there are actually a lot of things that need to be done as I started playing around. First off, this is the kind of overlap I am getting between the rear window and the door (Ignore the dirt, it's been sitting outside and it rained yesterday).

As I started playing around rolling the windows down and trying to find out why things weren't working, this is what I found (some of which I figured out last week but I forgot).

1) The trim piece between the two windows is missing the weather stripping on one side and is bent which is forcing the trim piece to fall out whenever the rear window is scrolled down. Not only that but as I was scrolling down the rear window today, I noticed that it was installed improperly since the window moves around, back and forth and side to side unlike the passenger side which is pretty solid.

2) As I scrolled down the window in the door, I also noticed that it wasn't installed properly either.

3) As you open the door about 30 degrees from the parallel to the car, you feel the interference in the door latch and it makes a small screeching noise. Till you push it the rest of the way and it opens fine.

I am sorry my terminology isn't that great but I'm learning. O! And I'll just throw this out there but my gas gauge doesn't work (or "works when it wants to" according to the seller). I just figured it may be a bad sending unit.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267249
07/14/12 05:21 PM
07/14/12 05:21 PM
Mrytle Beach SC
J
johnscudashop Offline
pro stock
johnscudashop  Offline
pro stock
J

Mrytle Beach SC
Nice find!! I love the look of a 68 Dart. I imagine you have big plans for it...

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: johnscudashop] #1267250
07/14/12 05:29 PM
07/14/12 05:29 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Nice find!! I love the look of a 68 Dart. I imagine you have big plans for it...

O yeah! Big time! I always enjoy your build thread and the attention to detail you have.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267251
07/14/12 05:58 PM
07/14/12 05:58 PM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
How do the body lines on the door line up before closing, low I'd guess? Is the striker post cracked, in other words can it be moving around. A bodies are notorious for the striker cracking out. How does the door to fender gap look, even or not? The door is fairly easy to adjust, but you'll need a floor jack or two people to it.

Also on the pic of the key in the lock, the key is upside down, on Chryslers the long part goes on the bottom, keyed (grooved) part goes up.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a 1968 Dodge service manual, as it will show and explain how to make everything function as new. Buy the book not the CD, unless you can take your laptop with you.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: NV69B7RR] #1267252
07/14/12 06:51 PM
07/14/12 06:51 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

How do the body lines on the door line up before closing, low I'd guess? Is the striker post cracked, in other words can it be moving around. A bodies are notorious for the striker cracking out. How does the door to fender gap look, even or not? The door is fairly easy to adjust, but you'll need a floor jack or two people to it.

Also on the pic of the key in the lock, the key is upside down, on Chryslers the long part goes on the bottom, keyed (grooved) part goes up.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a 1968 Dodge service manual, as it will show and explain how to make everything function as new. Buy the book not the CD, unless you can take your laptop with you.

Whoever reinstalled the locks on the newer door installed it upside down. Anyways either way I put the key into the passenger door it won't go in (actually it goes in less when put in correctly).

I have the 1969 Dodge Dart manual on a pdf and I do plan on getting the 68 manual soon.

As far as the door fitness goes, it doesn't look too bad but it does seem that the door is a little lower, barely. I don't have a floor jack but I can see if my brother can help me, maybe. I honestly don't know what a striker post is. Here are some pictures.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267253
07/14/12 07:16 PM
07/14/12 07:16 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Looks like you did well my friend. Congrats

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: UCUDANT] #1267254
07/14/12 07:37 PM
07/14/12 07:37 PM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
The striker is the peg attached to the body that the door latches to. Examine the latch in the door to see if its rubbing on the striker. As the door closes it latches twice, the first leaves the door sticking out an inch, the second pulls it tight to the body. Its the second one that will make u slam it to close it. If the pass door works good, then close it slowly and see how the drivers door should be latching correctly and when it latches. But check for a crack around the striker first because if the striker is moving adjusting the door won't do you any good.

The 69 manual is basically the same, so save the $50 for something else. It should tell you how to adjust the glass & door.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: NV69B7RR] #1267255
07/14/12 07:56 PM
07/14/12 07:56 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

The striker is the peg attached to the body that the door latches to. Examine the latch in the door to see if its rubbing on the striker. As the door closes it latches twice, the first leaves the door sticking out an inch, the second pulls it tight to the body. Its the second one that will make u slam it to close it. If the pass door works good, then close it slowly and see how the drivers door should be latching correctly and when it latches. But check for a crack around the striker first because if the striker is moving adjusting the door won't do you any good.

The 69 manual is basically the same, so save the $50 for something else. It should tell you how to adjust the glass & door.

The passenger door closes effortlessly. I barely have to push it and it goes in easily. If I put the same amount of effort in the driver door, the striker stops it immediately. And you can tell the striker is feeling it big time.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267256
07/14/12 08:37 PM
07/14/12 08:37 PM
Raleighwood
2Bad360sfromNC Offline
top fuel
2Bad360sfromNC  Offline
top fuel

Raleighwood
First off, the car looks like a good score. From your pics of the rear of the door and the striker, I'd say your hinge pins are worn. You can usually tell for sure by opening the door slightly, then grab the door edge and see if you can lift it up like there is a little up and down play in it. If you can feel it clunk a bit up and down, it'd basically be more worth it to change the hinge pins and/or bushings before you mess with adjusting the hinges. They can be a pain, but they shouldn't be very expensive. I'll also add to the earlier advice about cleaning the rust in the trunk. Once you are done, make sure you dry up all the water you clean it with. You can back it up in the sun with the trunk open to help with that, too. Obviously, now you will have wire-brushed through the rust and some paint, so you will have some bare metal. You will want to put some paint over that (not just primer--primer is usually porous). Otherwise, as temps and humidity change (especially if your car is outside all the time) the rust will show back up fairly quickly. Unless you are going for some perfect resto, I'd also throw those rubber trunk mats far away. If your trunk leaks or gets condensation in it, they will trap the moisture to the floor and rust it all over again. I got the cheap, thin carpet from the parts store and trimmed it to fit my Challenger. That stuff is breathable enough to not hold water under it, plus your stuff doesn't slide all over as bad back there. That reminds me of another thing...(this is becoming a book, but I hope it helps) Unlike new cars, the trunk walls are your actual outer quarter panels, so you don't want to go driving like Bo Duke with a big toolbox or a floor jack or something back there, or you will acquire some custom outward dents! If you have to carry that stuff, try to stow it so it can't fly around. That will hopefully save you some frustration down the road.

1968 Charger project. I don't have a fender tag or a buildsheet, so it's getting a 440. Help me decide on a color--most everything looks great! (NOT white. My Challenger is white. Need some variety :D)
1974 Challenger 360
2012 Challenger R/T
1991 Dakota 5.2
Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: 2Bad360sfromNC] #1267257
07/14/12 09:01 PM
07/14/12 09:01 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

First off, the car looks like a good score. From your pics of the rear of the door and the striker, I'd say your hinge pins are worn. You can usually tell for sure by opening the door slightly, then grab the door edge and see if you can lift it up like there is a little up and down play in it. If you can feel it clunk a bit up and down, it'd basically be more worth it to change the hinge pins and/or bushings before you mess with adjusting the hinges. They can be a pain, but they shouldn't be very expensive. I'll also add to the earlier advice about cleaning the rust in the trunk. Once you are done, make sure you dry up all the water you clean it with. You can back it up in the sun with the trunk open to help with that, too. Obviously, now you will have wire-brushed through the rust and some paint, so you will have some bare metal. You will want to put some paint over that (not just primer--primer is usually porous). Otherwise, as temps and humidity change (especially if your car is outside all the time) the rust will show back up fairly quickly. Unless you are going for some perfect resto, I'd also throw those rubber trunk mats far away. If your trunk leaks or gets condensation in it, they will trap the moisture to the floor and rust it all over again. I got the cheap, thin carpet from the parts store and trimmed it to fit my Challenger. That stuff is breathable enough to not hold water under it, plus your stuff doesn't slide all over as bad back there. That reminds me of another thing...(this is becoming a book, but I hope it helps) Unlike new cars, the trunk walls are your actual outer quarter panels, so you don't want to go driving like Bo Duke with a big toolbox or a floor jack or something back there, or you will acquire some custom outward dents! If you have to carry that stuff, try to stow it so it can't fly around. That will hopefully save you some frustration down the road.

Once I get the power steering fixed, she is going to get washed and put back in the garage until I want to take her out for cruise ins or drives around town so weather shouldn't be too big of an issue. I'll throw the trunk mats away anyways. I knew the inner trunk walls were the quarter panels so I will find a way of securing some of the things I got in there. I'll play around with the door after dinner and reply back.

Edit: Just took another look at the door. There is almost no up and down play when dealing with the door. It seems like one of the door rollers just isn't spinning causing the stop at 30 degrees. Of course I can open the door completely without putting too much pressure on it.

Last edited by MuuMuu101; 07/14/12 10:17 PM.
Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267258
07/15/12 03:26 PM
07/15/12 03:26 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Just went outside this morning and cleaned up the car a bit. I vacuumed the trunk and took out the mats and some extra metal appliances I felt I didn't need. Then I put everything I needed in the spare tire well since I don't have a spare wheel for now. Hopefully I can make it to the store before closing tomorrow to pick up my PS hose and I may have her on the road by Tuesday, I would assume.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 35 36