Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Two things you MUST do:
1. Remove the steering column.
2. Drop the K-member.

Once you get the engine close then you can put the k-member back in and see how stuff fits. Steering column goes in LATE in the install, but before locking in the motor plate.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: Rhinodart] #1234485
05/16/12 07:45 PM
05/16/12 07:45 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Maybe it can't be done with the Lakewood due to its larger diameter... but I have put three B and RB engines (with deep pans on all of them) in A-bodies and don't remember having to do it without the trans on any of them. On the other hand, that WAS in the '80's... I'll do it in pieces if I have to, though.

I thought this was the "standard" Chinese deep pan, but maybe not. What do you think of the sump position in the pics?

Did you see the link I posted earlier to BBD showing these headers (the very same set) in a Dart with B engine, manual steering, no column shift (exactly my combo)?
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/BBody.shtml
Hedman 78030 B-body headers are a well-known economy header for A-bodies with the above setup.

I have already applied a flame wrench and ball-peen adjuster (again, not very much needed) so they bolt up to the engine/trans. They were "pre-dinged" for clearance by the previous owner in the few small spots required, but I'm prepared to tap them a couple more times if needed...

-Charles

PS I want to keep my right foot in the event of a clutch/flywheel explosion, hence the scattershield... they are rare, but sometimes devastating when they do happen.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234486
05/16/12 09:00 PM
05/16/12 09:00 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Well, it won't go in because you have the wrong pan. You need the center sump. Got mine from Source one. Great pan for the price.

I put mine in and out by myself all the time with a deep center pan. You don't have to take anything off of the engine compartment. Mine is a rb with an auto. All I had to do was bend the lip above the auto trans to make it fit. Uses stock mounts with the K member, but will admit it is a DC K-member.

As far as headers, I have the CPPA on it, and yes you have to cut a small hole on each side in the inner fenders because on the passenger side, one tube comes out and on the drivers side 2 come out. Not a big hole, but you have too with those headers.

I did't find it any harder to put in than an LA engine. I put the engine and trans in together. It will go, by the way it is in a 71 Demon.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: Dodgeguy101] #1234487
05/16/12 09:58 PM
05/16/12 09:58 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Quote:

Well, it won't go in because you have the wrong pan. You need the center sump.

Yep, even I have figured that out by now I just measured my Chinese oil pan... it's only 5" from the front rail edge to the sump! No wonder I couldn't get the engine in... it's more like a front-sump pan. I didn't get it from 440source, but from an ebay store I can't recall. Shoulda known better...

My pan is also a long 11-12" from the rear edge to the sump and there's lots of clearance to the center link (the Moroso 20760, for which I can find dimensions, is 8" there). it doesn't show the front dimension, but the pics of both the Milodon and the Moroso are obviously quite a bit longer in front than 5"... a guy on BBD measured his and that dimension is 7.5. So that will buy me 2.5" which will probably be enough

Quote:

Got mine from Source one. Great pan for the price.

Who're they? which part number?
I can get the Milodon 30730 or the Moroso for about the same $260 with pick-up from Summit.

Quote:

I put mine in and out by myself all the time with a deep center pan. You don't have to take anything off of the engine compartment. Mine is a rb with an auto. All I had to do was bend the lip above the auto trans to make it fit.

Yep, I already hammered that lip flat with an 8-lb sledge and "finished" the job with a 4-lb hammer

Once I get the proper pan, I will pull the column again and see if that gives me enough room to get the Hedmans in, and if not I guess I'll drop the K-frame. I am not an octopus (and have no helpers) so it will be next to impossible to slide the headers into place while also dropping the engine!

Thanks for the variety of approaches... I'll let you know how it comes out. Or in.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234488
05/16/12 10:07 PM
05/16/12 10:07 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, even I have figured that out by now I just measured my Chinese oil pan... it's only 5" from the front rail edge to the sump! No wonder I couldn't get the engine in... it's more like a front-sump pan. I didn't get it from 440source, but from an ebay store I can't recall. Shoulda known better...

My pan is also a long 11-12" from the rear edge to the sump and there's lots of clearance to the center link (the Moroso 20760, for which I can find dimensions, is 8" there). it doesn't show the front dimension, but the pics of both the Milodon and the Moroso are obviously quite a bit longer in front than 5"... a guy on BBD measured his and that dimension is 7.5. So that will buy me 2.5" which will probably be enough

Quote:

I can get the Milodon 30730 or the Moroso for about the same $260 with pick-up from Summit.

Quote:

I put mine in and out by myself all the time with a deep center pan. You don't have to take anything off of the engine compartment. Mine is a rb with an auto. All I had to do was bend the lip above the auto trans to make it fit.

Yep, I already hammered that lip flat with an 8-lb sledge and "finished" the job with a 4-lb hammer

Once I get the proper pan, I will pull the column again and see if that gives me enough room to get the Hedmans in, and if not I guess I'll drop the K-frame. I am not an octopus (and have no helpers) so it will be next to impossible to slide the headers into place while also dropping the engine!

Thanks for the variety of approaches... I'll let you know how it comes out. Or in.

Stick with it, it is worth the trouble.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234489
05/16/12 10:12 PM
05/16/12 10:12 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Maybe it can't be done with the Lakewood due to its larger diameter... but I have put three B and RB engines (with deep pans on all of them) in A-bodies and don't remember having to do it without the trans on any of them. On the other hand, that WAS in the '80's... I'll do it in pieces if I have to, though.

I use an Ansen bellhousing specifically designed for a big block A-Body, though they are hard to find.

I thought this was the "standard" Chinese deep pan, but maybe not. What do you think of the sump position in the pics?

Definitely need a center sump pan, even with that pan I have never been able to put the engine/trans in together.

Did you see the link I posted earlier to BBD showing these headers (the very same set) in a Dart with B engine, manual steering, no column shift (exactly my combo)?
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/BBody.shtml
Hedman 78030 B-body headers are a well-known economy header for A-bodies with the above setup.

Ah yes, the Hedman headers, I did that back in 1995 and got them to work, so as long as they have already been hammered they might fit...

I have already applied a flame wrench and ball-peen adjuster (again, not very much needed) so they bolt up to the engine/trans. They were "pre-dinged" for clearance by the previous owner in the few small spots required, but I'm prepared to tap them a couple more times if needed...

-Charles

PS I want to keep my right foot in the event of a clutch/flywheel explosion, hence the scattershield... they are rare, but sometimes devastating when they do happen.

Wear lead boots like I do...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234490
05/16/12 10:19 PM
05/16/12 10:19 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, 440 source, I don't remember the part number, but when I called to check to see if it would fit, whoever answered the phone, said they didn't say it would fit, but from the pics, it was a center sump. Yes it fit fine, just didn't like their tone I guess. Why sell a pan if you don't know what it fits? Anyway, it does the job for 80 or so, whatever it was. If I had to do it over, would probbly get the Milodon that has the side tanks built on it for more ground clearance.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: Dodgeguy101] #1234491
05/16/12 11:01 PM
05/16/12 11:01 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Quote:

Sorry, 440 source, I don't remember the part number, but when I called to check to see if it would fit, whoever answered the phone, said they didn't say it would fit, but from the pics, it was a center sump. Yes it fit fine, just didn't like their tone I guess. Why sell a pan if you don't know what it fits? Anyway, it does the job for 80 or so, whatever it was. If I had to do it over, would probbly get the Milodon that has the side tanks built on it for more ground clearance.

Thanks. I looked at the 440source one and it looks a lot like the one I have (too close to the front). So I pried open my wallet and ordered a Milodon 30930 that has side "kickouts" and the matching pickup from Summit. There's another Milodon with actual side tanks but it's around $400

Even $276 ("free" shipping, $12.95 "Handling") is a lot of money for a plain old wet-sump pan, but paying for one is not half as aggravating as not being able to get the engine in the @#$% car

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234492
05/16/12 11:08 PM
05/16/12 11:08 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I looked at the 440source one and it looks a lot like the one I have (too close to the front). So I pried open my wallet and ordered a Milodon 30930 that has side "kickouts" and the matching pickup from Summit. There's another Milodon with actual side tanks but it's around $400

Even $276 ("free" shipping, $12.95 "Handling") is a lot of money for a plain old wet-sump pan, but paying for one is not half as aggravating as not being able to get the engine in the @#$% car

I looked on the site, the number is 121-1002. That one will fit. Picture is a little off, but it fits fine.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: Dodgeguy101] #1234493
05/16/12 11:56 PM
05/16/12 11:56 PM
Amherst,NY
challengermike Offline
super stock
challengermike  Offline
super stock

Amherst,NY
I used a 7 qt ebay pan on mine and it was tight but it did fit. But i installed it without the trans attached. I was fighting with it to fit past the k member, my problem was i used studs on the hooker fenderwells and the header had to get bolted on before i dropped the engine all the way down. well the headers were hitting the firewall and the pan on the k member. Got out a big pipe and with enough prying it fell in.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: challengermike] #1234494
05/17/12 02:07 AM
05/17/12 02:07 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I put my B motor in mine no problem with that same pan and an auto. I just recently swaped in a 6spd and decided during that epic saga I would pull the engine and do a few other things while I was at it. Well the onlt way I got it back in was without the bellhousing even on. I did have the CPPA headers on though. Make sure you at least set the start in the block plate though before you put it in.....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: 340SHORTY] #1234495
05/17/12 07:31 AM
05/17/12 07:31 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Quote:

How do you plan on making the B body headers fit ?

I read years ago on bigblock dart.com that a low deck B motor in an A body
can use 1 3/4 inch el cheapo (or el expensive) headers. Not 1 7/8" or 2" and not on an RB engine.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: 2boltmain] #1234496
05/17/12 10:32 AM
05/17/12 10:32 AM
s.e. MI
P
partsforsale Offline
super stock
partsforsale  Offline
super stock
P

s.e. MI
#1. Try taking the valve covers off.

#2. Try jacking the front of the car up.

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: partsforsale] #1234497
05/17/12 05:52 PM
05/17/12 05:52 PM
mass,usa
sickhemi Offline
enthusiast
sickhemi  Offline
enthusiast

mass,usa
i put my 440 inmt dart without the blowshield istalled with the milodon 7qt pan. the front right corner of the pan was a little tuff to get by the k-frame a notch would have helped. had to put the blowshield on after the engine was in place and that sucked

1968 gts 355 r3 six speed efi with irs in progress and 1969 convt 440 stage 6 efi 5spd dana
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: sickhemi] #1234498
05/17/12 06:18 PM
05/17/12 06:18 PM
n.e. pa.
65rbdodge Offline
master
65rbdodge  Offline
master

n.e. pa.
in my 71 dart w/400 i have hedman b-body headers, #187 oil pan, 727, modified(motor mounts) 73+sb k-frame. it all fit, headers needed a few dings, but nothing major. HEDMAN B-BODY HEADERS DO FIT!

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234499
05/17/12 08:08 PM
05/17/12 08:08 PM
Washington State
70Duster440 Offline
super stock
70Duster440  Offline
super stock

Washington State
Here's a 187 pan from a C-Body. The notch you see is for idler clearance that you'll need in an a-body.

7210467-187pan.jpg (193 downloads)
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: 65rbdodge] #1234500
05/17/12 10:03 PM
05/17/12 10:03 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Quote:

in my 71 dart w/400 i have hedman b-body headers, #187 oil pan, 727, modified(motor mounts) 73+sb k-frame. it all fit, headers needed a few dings, but nothing major. HEDMAN B-BODY HEADERS DO FIT!

I first used the Hedman headers in the early 90's. They are 1-3/4 tubes and really too small for the 440, but perfect for a 383/400 unless stroked. Of course they are much better than ANY factory exhaust manifolds.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: sickhemi] #1234501
05/17/12 10:09 PM
05/17/12 10:09 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Quote:

i put my 440 inmt dart without the blowshield istalled with the milodon 7qt pan. the front right corner of the pan was a little tuff to get by the k-frame a notch would have helped. had to put the blowshield on after the engine was in place and that sucked

My Milodon pan is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Rhinodart also says it can't be done with a scattershield and deep pan. I may give it a quick try just to learn for myself the hard way

I am seriously considering dropping the K-frame... at this stage the car is a "roller" with no front shocks or brake lines, so I'd only have to pull the t-bars, tubular upper control arms, disconnect the steering U-joint, and then the four big bolts!

I'm using a motor plate anyway, so the engine can sit quietly on the frame rails while I put the headers in from underneath and then lift the K-frame straight up into place, without having to "steer" the engine around the Milodon pan.

I would much rather do this than try and put the scattershield back on with the engine in the car... indeed!

Any thoughts on this approach, or problems I haven't thought of yet?

thanks
Charles

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234502
05/17/12 10:50 PM
05/17/12 10:50 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
'I'm using a motor plate anyway, so the engine can sit quietly on the frame rails while I put the headers in from underneath and then lift the K-frame straight up into place, without having to "steer" the engine around the Milodon pan.

I would much rather do this than try and put the scattershield back on with the engine in the car... indeed!'

Affirmative...

Re: Too tight a fit... 451 A-body rant [Re: DrCharles] #1234503
05/17/12 11:11 PM
05/17/12 11:11 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
i'm putting a 383/727 in a 72 dart right now with schumacher mounts and their tri-y headers. the 30930 pan fit pretty nice. i did grind a notch in the k member at the right corner of the pan and had to ding the pan a little on the right rear of the sump for the drag link, you need the dropped drag link. not that i had to but i trimmed the steering column tube back to the firewall. with the 727 i didn't have to do anything to the trans tunnel flange.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3