jcc Offline OP
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Posted in "general" in the can we have a 3G hemi forum post By member Grizzly:

Quote:
" I think we might want to include Modern Mopar Tech.

magnum engines
srt 4, 6, 8, 10 engines.

Maybe this would allow all the EFI engines to have its own place.

Just a thought!"

Great idea. That would keep the traffic up.

Take the "Suspension, Brakes, Steering, Handling, and Chassis Tech." section for example: Hardly any numbers viewing it. See for yourself, go back to the main page.

Why? Too specific. Anyone that dares to ask questions about how to replace ball joints, get better brakes on their truck, or set your toe-in for your daily driver will get chased out. Too bad, because a handfull of guys in "Corners are best" could probably answer alot of questions for the guy in his garage learning how to use a set of wrenches.

The attitude started with "I don't wanna have to weed through all kinds of crap" right off the bat and now the whole thing is grinding to a halt.

You can only talk about how to weld in sub-frame connectors or which is the best shock for auto cross so many times before it gets done to death.

Just a suggestion, take it with a grain of salt. Unquote

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7141972

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: jcc] #1207218
04/01/12 01:47 AM
04/01/12 01:47 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Well Mopars already have a stigma that they are only good for one thing, going in a straight line, might at well continue to prove them people right. Look at all the For Sale forums that havent had traffic in probably at least 2 weeks.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: jcc] #1207219
04/01/12 02:07 AM
04/01/12 02:07 AM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

The attitude started with "I don't wanna have to weed through all kinds of crap" right off the bat and now the whole thing is grinding to a halt.

Was this a valid observation?
Well, let's check a thread asking about fuel senders and pickups.

The VERY FIRST reply was a snarky "This relates to cornering?" and the second reply was someone quoting the first reply and jumping on the bandwagon.

Around moparts.com, the way a new forum comes to life is generally upon the death of another one.

Corners Are Best was built upon the ashes of the old Power Adders forum.

Yes, the clock is ticking, and replies like the above example don't help matters.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: jcc] #1207220
04/01/12 09:43 AM
04/01/12 09:43 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
tick tock tick tock
This forum to will die a slow death as others have so I'm done with this. I know in the big picture of life it does not mean too much, but there is no moderating of threads and bad information along with general disrespect.

I spent many years learning from some of the best trying to achieve a street car that could run hot laps and survive. I have been successful and tried to share all that learning to help others as I have had very little technical help at times.

My best technical help has been Bill Reilly at RMS motorsports and my original mentor was Rick E.

The last straw for me besides winged wonders was welded k frames. I ran laps for years and learned early on that the k frame was and is the biggest weakest link.

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: 68HemiB] #1207221
04/01/12 10:49 AM
04/01/12 10:49 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Was this a valid observation?
Well, let's check a thread asking about fuel senders and pickups.

The VERY FIRST reply was a snarky "This relates to cornering?" and the second reply was someone quoting the first reply and jumping on the bandwagon.

"snarky" is your only opinion, no more, and if asking a 4 word question generates a plie on because the messenger is over shadowed by the message, yes, IMO, the bell has already rung. And if you firmly believe your position, I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others. And of course there is crossover, but if members are so quick to slam one another personally instead of their ideas, suggestions, observations, etc. then drive the nail into this coffin and let the 3G crowd romp..

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: 68HemiB] #1207222
04/01/12 11:22 AM
04/01/12 11:22 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Yup, the count down has started.

If the forum is too pointed to be welcoming to others who just have general suspension questions and a desrire to learn, then participation will slowly dwindle.

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: ThermoQuad] #1207223
04/01/12 01:47 PM
04/01/12 01:47 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

tick tock tick tock
This forum to will die a slow death as others have so I'm done with this. I know in the big picture of life it does not mean too much, but there is no moderating of threads and bad information along with general disrespect.

I spent many years learning from some of the best trying to achieve a street car that could run hot laps and survive. I have been successful and tried to share all that learning to help others as I have had very little technical help at times.

My best technical help has been Bill Reilly at RMS motorsports and my original mentor was Rick E.

The last straw for me besides winged wonders was welded k frames. I ran laps for years and learned early on that the k frame was and is the biggest weakest link.

Wait Tom_Quad,

You asked and asked for this forum. Publicly groveled about it and wouldn't participate on Moparts without it. Now you want to run from it?

I realize it's frustrating when it's something a person is so passionate about. I empathize and feel the same way as you at times.

How about we be a little more excepting of other people's ideas? Even if we think they are wrong. And even if they are wrong. Such a "my way or the highway" makes everyone run to opposite sides of the room before even thinking about it.

There's more than ONE way to get to the same point. There are so many variables that there are many combinations that work. And not everyone is looking or expecting the same things out of thier car than you do. It's really hard to figure that out over the internet, so there is not much to work with. There are no clear cut right or wrongs regarding personal tastes and interpretation.

You know what, sometimes people are just wrong. And you just have to let them live with it and move on. Let them not get the benefit they thought they would.

Just present your case and experience in an open manner, then everyone else that actually does something will figure it out. Let go of the one guy to help 99 others.

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: autoxcuda] #1207224
04/01/12 02:14 PM
04/01/12 02:14 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
I've learned a couple things from this section already - I hope it sticks around - lots of good ideas/knowledge to be had...

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: dangina] #1207225
04/01/12 02:29 PM
04/01/12 02:29 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
Personally, I like the Corners Are Best section; I think it lags behind in posts because there are more drag racers here than road racers, but there's been stuff in there that was either useful or an opportunity to pass on some knowledge.

The bigger problem I think is two-fold:
1. Checking egos & superiority at the door.
2. Some folks wanting others to do all their research for them, and I don't mean exotic stuff but things that are already Archived here. That can be difficult to criticize, as I've missed or brain-farted some things myself.

Not everyone was raised by a mechanical engineer or Chrysler employee, nor were they trained to be objective and civil; everyone can learn the former, and should correct the latter, as the shoe fits.

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: topside] #1207226
04/01/12 04:25 PM
04/01/12 04:25 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
A prime example of being OK with having narrow forum objective is the UNLAWFULS RACING ONLY forum. Look through the threads on their and about 50% are racing related specifically. Does someone get on their and say "And this relates to racing?" No........

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: jcc] #1207227
04/01/12 04:49 PM
04/01/12 04:49 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others.

Some members can see that the sloshing of fuel can be both fore-and-aft and side-to-side without being clairvoyant.

Forcing a poster to clarify before deigning to answer the core question is an example of the "lack of inclusiveness" complaint.

First, prove to me that this is a cornering question and not a 1/4 mile crowd question, then maybe I'll give you my full attention.

How does this NOT turn someone off?
Answering a question or politely seeking clarification is the way to increase hits, replies, and new threads in this forum. Ultimately, that is what will keep it around longer. There are worse things than answering what you perceive as a slightly off-topic question. Are you having trouble wading through the bazillion pages of threads on this forum, or otherwise being frustrated that your topic is getting pushed down too quickly?

I had briefly considered [and then decided against] starting a thread here on "my preferred alignment specs". I was thinking that a thread with that title in a slower-churning forum might provide some value to those who seem perennially to ask that question in Q&A. I envisioned also giving lip service to specs for those who DON'T seek to make their classic car into an auto-crosser (think negative camber), trying to make the thread a big tent. Then I decided not to, for some of the reasons already cited.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: 68HemiB] #1207228
04/01/12 06:11 PM
04/01/12 06:11 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Fascinating, Captain.

Who started this section and where are they now? Or is it sort of free-form? If the founders sheparded it along, then it might grow in the direction they wished. Or maybe this is the direction wished, and then the question is should it be sheparded another way. If there are no founders per se, then those who wanted or still want this forum need to take the bull by the horns (tactfully).

With all due respect to the good intentions, this section seemed to lack clear purpose from the beginning. The title "Corners are Best" is of no assistance in this matter. It smacks of superiority, and yet of what? Is it actually the "Suspension, Brakes, Steering, Handling, and Chassis Tech" section, or is it a performance handling and handling improvement section, or a place to talk all non-straight line racing?

My two cents is that this section should be all handling related modifications and carry an attractive name like "Curves". Included should be everything from best factory setups to custom built, from street use to competition only.

This section can not be like the Unlawful Race Only for two reasons. First, those involved in non-straight line competion already have a number of other venues for discussion, if and when they so chose to do so. Second, there are many types of non-straight line activities so participation in a Moparts forum isn't going to generate much activity if its limited to one type.

Finally, general suspension, brakes, steering and chassis questions still belongs in General Tech. Otherwise General Tech becomes what? Electric and engine repairs and not so stock repairs and restifications. Nah. That makes no sense. Original suspension, brakes, steering and chassis discussions should be in Restoration, and those related to 1/8, 1/4, 1000' and 1 mile races still should post under Race Only. Yes there will be cross-over, especially with street cars that are driven for fun in variety of sanctioned activities. That aspect has already been well handled (get it?).

Last edited by Mattax; 04/01/12 11:05 PM.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Mattax] #1207229
04/01/12 06:54 PM
04/01/12 06:54 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Quote:

Who started this section and where are they now?

Jan 11, 2012:

7146728-Jan112012.jpg (51 downloads)

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Grizzly] #1207230
04/01/12 07:03 PM
04/01/12 07:03 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
January 12, 2012. A new forum is started.

Steve, you have the right ideas.

72Swinger: Way to stand up for yourself in that other thread.

Tom Quad: Please don't leave. I get alot out of everything you post.

jcc: Way to welcome the new guy.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Mattax] #1207231
04/01/12 07:25 PM
04/01/12 07:25 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
This forum better stay around. I have always had a great interest in handling, suspension, and braking but since I don't have a car to work on at the moment I really don't have too many questions. I sure have learned a lot on this forum though

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Grizzly] #1207232
04/01/12 08:05 PM
04/01/12 08:05 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Thanks for the answers Grizzly.

Steve's ideas for stickies at the end of that thread could be a help for the forum. [Correction, its the people Steve is responding to that have the good sticky idea]. They would provide some sense of what the forum is about and would be a bit more welcoming. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure when I started "Where to Start? A Reading List" thread whether it would be welcome, even though it seemed to me that it was the type of thing that could be a sticky.

I'll also stand by my suggestions. That early discussion was good and healthy. Now as things have evolved, it seems to be time to revist. Again, it just my .02 as an ocassional participant. If you guys want to change the show thats fine, if you like it as it is, thats fine too.

Last edited by Mattax; 04/01/12 11:07 PM.
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Mattax] #1207233
04/01/12 08:24 PM
04/01/12 08:24 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
You bet.

I'm willing to steer the ship if you guys let someone know.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: 68HemiB] #1207234
04/01/12 09:25 PM
04/01/12 09:25 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

I suggest your reread the initial unedited OP, it only mentioned acceleration and heavy braking, both normally found in the here on moparts in the very prominent 1/4 mile crowd. Of course the OP might have inadvertently left out the INO very important element of cornering, but I am not not clairvoyant enough to make that conclusion, hence the simple, direct, and in your opinion "snarky", question. The post IMO started out somewhat incomplete and without a great deal of thought, and deserved the same effort in response. The post did of course evolve, after prodding by others.

Some members can see that the sloshing of fuel can be both fore-and-aft and side-to-side without being clairvoyant.

Forcing a poster to clarify before deigning to answer the core question is an example of the "lack of inclusiveness" complaint.

First, prove to me that this is a cornering question and not a 1/4 mile crowd question, then maybe I'll give you my full attention.

How does this NOT turn someone off?
Answering a question or politely seeking clarification is the way to increase hits, replies, and new threads in this forum. Ultimately, that is what will keep it around longer. There are worse things than answering what you perceive as a slightly off-topic question. Are you having trouble wading through the bazillion pages of threads on this forum, or otherwise being frustrated that your topic is getting pushed down too quickly?

I had briefly considered [and then decided against] starting a thread here on "my preferred alignment specs". I was thinking that a thread with that title in a slower-churning forum might provide some value to those who seem perennially to ask that question in Q&A. I envisioned also giving lip service to specs for those who DON'T seek to make their classic car into an auto-crosser (think negative camber), trying to make the thread a big tent. Then I decided not to, for some of the reasons already cited.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: Grizzly] #1207235
04/01/12 10:02 PM
04/01/12 10:02 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Who started this section and where are they now?

Jan 11, 2012:

There have been many requests over many years for a section like this. And many times was told by Moparts it would NEVER happen.

This is the most recent thread where it was mentioned, and I believe before "Waynes" request.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post7003899

Re: Is the clock ticking? [Re: jcc] #1207236
04/01/12 10:18 PM
04/01/12 10:18 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
Wow, its fun that threads like this get the activity up in the forum...

I bought a diamond ring, and that's actually part of the plan to get my car to handle!

Then I bought a new 904 from CRT (2 more weeks!). And that's going to help my car handle!

Next stop is Hughes Engines, for new Aluminum heads, cam, and assorted hardware, yes its related to handling!

This is the first forum I check when I log into Moparts EVERY DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!

I answer questions I have the answers to. I ask questions I hope to get straight answers to.

And if anyone doesn't see how a Tiffany engagement ring relates to making my car handle, well then, you should keep your comments to your selves!

I'll post more once I get my engine and transmission to my parents' garage (yes, buying a house is also on my plans towards GETTING MY CAR TO HANDLE!!!)

If people learn to answer the question that is asked, rather than giving an opinion that's outside question's parameters, that'll help. I remember too many 318 build questions answered with get a 340 and/or 360 that actually made me STOP coming to moparts for YEARS. That attitude has actually worked its way out for the most part.

(BTW: The wedding will be registered at Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Summit, Jegs, & Macy's )

1971 Challenger
Page 1 of 2 1 2