02/06/12 03:55 PM
02/06/12 03:55 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline OP
top fuel
Mattax  Offline OP
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
There are a number of good books on handling and related topics. A lot of folks want to know Where to Start so these are my suggestions along with more advanced How and Why books and articles. Please feel free to add yours. Your further reviews, critiques or comments on titles posted also OK. Feel free to include links for web versions of the print material. However let's save links to web only articles and info for a seperate thread. Thanks.

General Handling

Fred Puhn. How To Make Your Car Handle (HP Books, LA Calf) 1981
A good book to start with for the somewhat technically inclined. Writing is clear and straightforward. Theory is sound and well explained. Practical applicatation include things like how to measure alignment, center of gravity etc. on the cheap. A few pages in the back are devoted to explaining drag race set up principles. Section on tires is dated and some things he feels are less important get covered less.

Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering (HP Books, NY) 1993
This is a relatively easy read with lots of pictures and illustrations. Adams's ideas are sometimes a bit contraversial but I don't think anything in this book is. In it he discusses different suspension types and chassis framing

Carrol Smith. Tune To Win (Aero Publishers) 1978
In this "Tune To.." book, Smith pretty well covers suspension theory. While written in a readable folksy and down to earth style, its definately more advanced reading. It is big on physics and basic priciples and Smith is a tough teacher. It is written more toward purpose build rather than production based race cars, however that doesn't make it any less valuable. Smith has a lot of good practical advice and sound approaches toward developing a race car.

Paul Haney Racing and High Performance Tire
This one has been recommended as being helpful to understanding suspension dynamics as well as tire construction. I'll flesh this one out when I can or if someone else wants to that's cool too.

Mopar Specific Handling
Mike Martin, MOPAR SUSPENSIONS (S-A Design Books, Brea Calif) 1984 ISBN 0-931472-20-2
Later reprinted under the title Super Street Mopar with no editing or changes that we are aware of. It is a relatively easy to read book with Mopar specific theory and calculation examples. I found one somewhat serious error in a example and some smaller ones, but if you understand what he is explaining, you'll catch them too. Specific sources and parts is dated, but in many ways the advice is still useful. For example at the time only X and y was available and in 2012 X is no longer made but Y still is plus a new product became available.

"Roadability and Handling" Reference Book 1972-7
Master Technician Service Conference Series Chrysler Motor Corporation, 1972

There are several MTSC booklets with this title. Good intro to suspension. The 1972 booklet has all the basics alignment terms.
Available on-line at
Chrysler Imperial Club's MTSC series Session 296

Last edited by Mattax; 02/18/12 04:22 PM.
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: Mattax] #1173346
02/06/12 04:06 PM
02/06/12 04:06 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Good idea Matt. I was thinking about something like this post recently.

I used to have a "References" web page on my old website "68 Cuda Autocrosser". I've got a bunch more stuff added over the list 10 years. Almost double!

Here's and abbreviated list just regarding the technical stuff from that old page. It's sort of ranked best first. But there are comments I added in that should help...

References & Literature most for Mopar handling

MAGAZINE ARTICLES

Handling Suspension Build ups:
M.A. 12/90 -Richard Ehrenberg. complete front suspension overhaul and handing tips
High Performance Mopar 9/90 -handling tips with Mitch Lelito, T/A ESP SCCA nats top 10
M.A. 12/93, 12/94, and 12/96 -Richard Ehrenberg. Lap of America Valiant; road race, drags, low $$
Hot Rod 6/81 Mopar Suspensions by Al Kircshbaum -Chassis reinforcing suggestions, factory parts lists
Hot Rod 6/81 Guldstrand vs Herb Adams Shootout, very good, not Mopars but can pick up a lot of ideas from this
Hot Rod 3/88 Camaro build up shootout, very good, differenent approaches and levels of buildups, not Mopars but can pick up a lot of ideas from this !
H.P.M. 10/95 -'73 Cuda Road race and C/P:
M.A. 8/91 -'69 Cuda’ ESP SCCA autocrosser

Handling Technical: Follow Mopar Action's Richard Ehrenberg; knows his stuff, backs it up, and it works:
M.A. Tech # 1 & H.P. Mopar summer/88 -Richard Ehrenberg. famous disk brake upgrade Brake Part List
M.A. 8/96 -Richard Ehrenberg. power steering, bump steer
M.A. Tech # 5 -Richard Ehrenberg. torsion bars & wheel swaps
M.A. 96 -Richard Ehrenberg. pre '69 four piston disk brakes
M.A. 96 -Richard Ehrenberg. K-Member swaps and modifications
Hot Rod 6/81 Al Kircshbaum "Mopar Suspensions"
MoPerformance 6-7/85 Mike Martin "Choosing Proper Leaf Springs" toe steer in Mopar leaf springs

BOOKS

Good Technical Handling Books: (In order of importance for Mopar RWD, ESP, CP, Road Race)

Mopar Handling by Mike Martin - basic to more advanced handling Mopar specific . Out of Print ? I'd like to have it. Very good book. Some stuff dated. Cool pics.
Mopar Performance Chassis Manual
How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn -general handling
Brake Handbook by Fred Puhn
Trans-Am and Corvette Chassis by Steve Smith (Out Of Print '75 #S103) -building road racers
The Complete Stock Car Chassis Guide by Steve Smith ( #S101 $9 ) -building stock cars, many sections from #S103, 10 pictures on building Petty Charger in older copyright. Don't know if Petty pics are in newer one.
Race Car Fabrication and Preparation by Steve Smith (O.O.P. '77 #S114 )
Building the Race Car Picture By Picture by Steve Smith (O.O.P. #S110 )
Tune to Win by Carroll Smith -more advanced suspension tuning, tendency focus on open wheel cars
Engineer To Win by Carroll Smith -advanced fabrication techniques, good reference tables
Chassis Design by Herb Adams-
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Miliken -very technical, very advanced almost textbook 960 pgs. Great Book ! Would be very helpful in CP buildup. Society of Automobile Engineers Publications
Circle Track by John Pappas -( O.O.P.'75) Very circle track intensive. More specific and technical than the above Steve Smith books. Two page foldout of cutaway 69 Ford Talladega.

Driving:
Secrets of Solo Driving by Henry A. Watts
Winning Autocross Solo II Competition by Turner and Miles

OTHER

Guldstrand Engineering Catalog "Some Handling Theory" by Dick Guldstrand -very down to earth discussion 6 pgs.
Bilstein Catalog table of shock adjustments for handling conditions, also on website

Last edited by autoxcuda; 02/06/12 04:30 PM.
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: autoxcuda] #1173347
02/06/12 07:51 PM
02/06/12 07:51 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
From another post of mine:

The traditional Mopar Chassis book isn't a bad starting point to get in to some of the specifics of mopar suspension theory. It isn't the greatest, but it will cover a lot of info that guys on here speculate about.

The Oval Track Modifications book also has several chapters on suspension, shocks, tires, as well as aero, engines, and some neat historical reference tables, like specs on a 1.45 torsion bar and 250# rear springs. Like the Chassis book, the info is old, but it is a good reference point.

Another good book for a starting point, if you cna find it, is Mike Martin's Mopar Suspension book. This is an old SA Designs title that also has a lot of good baseline info and provides a good intro to dynamic calulations. Like the two above, it is somewhat dated and many of the manufacturers listed in it no longer exist. If you can score one at a swap meet for a few bucks, they are defintly worth it. Forget finding one on Amazon. Last time I saw them on there, they were listing for $100.

Digging deeper into dynamics, I've found a number of titles at Steve Smith Autosports publishing to be good. These books are heavily GM and oval track focused, but understanding the dynamics and tuning are the same even if the methods vary slightly between makes. Building the Pro Stock Late Model and Advanced Race Car Dynamics and its related work book are two good starting points. http://ssapubl.com

When you're ready to start getting deep in the meat of thing, the Carroll Smith "To Win" series will take you there. Design To Win, Engineer to Win, Tune to Win, Drive To Win, there is a whole series out there.

Dave Morgan's Doorslammers book has good info about dynamics, weigh transfer, and such. While it is drag race specific, it is still a good read to help understand how a similar set up can be slightly changed for varying applications.

Speedway Engineering site has some very good sway bar tables as well as a lot of cool parts. http://www.1speedway.com/

Speedway Motors
yes they are different than Speedway Engineering. Lots of low cost parts, some technical information, heavy oval track focus. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Afco Racing
Purveyors of high end shocks, springs and a number of other oval track parts. Catalog is full of good tech info as well as parts. Same stuff can be found on their website, but it is much easier to leaf through a book. http://www.afcoracing.com/

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine
The down and dirty side of SCCA and NASA racing is whats happening in here. They call it the hardcore sports car magazine, but its more than that. Web site has forums, classifieds, articles and vendors links. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: TC@HP2] #1173348
02/06/12 09:27 PM
02/06/12 09:27 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline OP
top fuel
Mattax  Offline OP
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
I agree on the Direct Connection Chassis Book, there's some nuggets in there for the not-straight line folks as well as drag racers. There are a number of editions but I've not had an a chance to compare - the editing and typos are rampant in the 'Carrol Shelby' editions (1984) and maybe all of them. Most of the chapters were first released by Chrylsler as performance Bulletins.

It's worth calling attention to a chapter on car breaking "Rally Preparation". Useful for anyone considering off pavement performance driving in A-bodies, and some mention of Champ-Colts.
Also worth noting is a chapter on "Front Suspension". It touches basic assembly and components but not much on set up other than toe pattern which is covered well.
I *think* some of the original bulletins are on the web but don't quote me on that.

Another good source for both Road Rally and what I'll call closed course non-paved activities is a magazine article by Scott Harvey himself. It is going to be hard to buy but libraries and other enthusiasts will let you read and/or photocopy.
"Scott Harvey and Rally Preparation" Sports Car Graphic May 1967 pp 28-30,70-71
Cool pictures too!

Just for a clarity, the term rally covered a broad range of competitions. I use Road Rally here as the current term for events that share the roads with the public. However often these events are 'brisk' and frequently involve non-paved sections and adverse conditions (night, rain, snow). By closed course events I mean rallies where portions are run on roads closed to the public aka 'special stages', and 'rallycross' type events.

Last edited by Mattax; 02/06/12 09:38 PM.
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: autoxcuda] #1173349
02/06/12 09:54 PM
02/06/12 09:54 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline OP
top fuel
Mattax  Offline OP
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Second the motion on the Green Brick write ups. For tech, start with
Richard Ehrenberg "Secrets of Our Lap-Buster Valiant" Mopar Action Dec. 1993 pp 38-50, 54-57.
IMHO this one is especially chock full of what to spend your time and money on.

Followed by Richard Ehrenberg "The Making of a Giant Killer" Mopar Action Dec. 1996 pp 20-24, 62-67.which is a bit more trick (and expensive) build without going too nuts.

and the others you can read for fun.

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: Mattax] #1173350
02/06/12 11:09 PM
02/06/12 11:09 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I know this suggestion is really non Mopar specific, and pricey, and maybe a little over the top, but I have subscribed to the British Mag "Racecar Engineering" this past year, and I have let all my car mags lapse, MA, HR, CT, CC, etc, and I haven't missed one yet. It takes almost an entire month to decipher all the really in depth articles. I even spend less time on Moparts

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: Mattax] #1173351
02/12/12 07:39 PM
02/12/12 07:39 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Here are a couple webs site I've come across recently. I haven't read through them all so I can't vouch for accuracy, but teh cover a lot of relevent topics;

http://www.turnfast.com/technical#handling

http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: TC@HP2] #1173352
02/13/12 02:06 PM
02/13/12 02:06 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
For all our readers here, I highly recommend getting the Mopar Action August 2006 issue and read all about the SCCA Solo II E-bodies of John Sandberg's AAR (C/Prepared class), and my own car -- Challenger T/A (E/Street Prepared class). i don't believe there has ever been a better write-up than what has been written on both of our 2 e-bodies exposing the development and various mods that we've done to our respective cars... and proven SUCCESS at the highest competitive levels of SCCA Solo II classes. Also... John's SCCA Solo II C/Preparted AAR Cuda will be featured soon again (this year 2012?) in Mopar Collector Guide, as well as his complete family (sons, etc)having various Mopar road-race/auto-x cars.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Where to Start, A Reading List: Sway Bars & Bushings [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1173353
02/19/12 11:30 AM
02/19/12 11:30 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline OP
top fuel
Mattax  Offline OP
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Bob Carpenter, "Dirt Doings: Front Suspension Tuning Can Be One Of The Most Critical Aspects Of Getting Your Race Car To Handle Properly" Circle Track February, 2009
Circle Track Magazine On-line Version

Good article where they analyze a race car's issues with Herb Adams. Adams has them add a sway bar and change out the rubber bushings. They test on a paved track so lap times and tire temps aren't so effected by track conditions. Keep in mind this is a race car, on race tires on a race track. But for those that wonder about the impact of a sway bar, this is a good read.

edit: An online version is archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060303020240/http://circletrack.com/projectbuild/1800/
As the Way Back Machine shows a version as far back as Dec 2003, the 2009 date I gave above must be incorrect.
I've not been able to locate the article in Hot Rod's current Circle Track Archive.
https://www.hotrod.com/circle-track-magazine/page/167/
However it does appear the Bob carpenter wrote for them in 1999 time frame.,

Last edited by Mattax; 08/28/19 06:35 PM. Reason: URL for article no longer valid
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: Mattax] #2231419
01/10/17 04:07 AM
01/10/17 04:07 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline OP
top fuel
Mattax  Offline OP
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Thanks to The Shell 4000 and Trans Canada Rally History Page,
"Scott Harvey and Rally Preparation" Sports Car Graphic May 1967 mentioned above is now available on-line as a scanned pdf.

Also on the same web page is Eric Dahlquist "How to Beat the Shell (4000) Game" Motor Trend '69 Yearbook, pp 160-5 with Scott Harvey. Includes a few tips for setup, a full list of equipment (spares) and where to stowe on the Barracuda, and good photos of protection of oil pan, gas tank, mufflers and differential. This one was new to me.

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: [Re: Mattax] #2231583
01/10/17 01:42 PM
01/10/17 01:42 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I have mentioned this before, but one of what I found as the most insightful performance books is "Think Fast", as the link says, it delves into the "why" more then the "what". Favorite quote on car set-up, "everything effects everything else"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11985155-think-fast

also found on Amazon

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2232272
01/11/17 01:57 PM
01/11/17 01:57 PM
pgh pa
C
captaindodge Offline
enthusiast
captaindodge  Offline
enthusiast
C

pgh pa
Originally Posted By Mopar Mitch
For all our readers here, I highly recommend getting the Mopar Action August 2006 issue and read all about the SCCA Solo II E-bodies of John Sandberg's AAR (C/Prepared class), and my own car -- Challenger T/A (E/Street Prepared class). i don't believe there has ever been a better write-up than what has been written on both of our 2 e-bodies exposing the development and various mods that we've done to our respective cars... and proven SUCCESS at the highest competitive levels of SCCA Solo II classes. Also... John's SCCA Solo II C/Preparted AAR Cuda will be featured soon again (this year 2012?) in Mopar Collector Guide, as well as his complete family (sons, etc)having various Mopar road-race/auto-x cars.

MM, any chance you could post that article ?

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: captaindodge] #2232383
01/11/17 06:07 PM
01/11/17 06:07 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
CaptainDodge -- T/Anks for requesting the Mopar Action August 2006 article to be posted... but... it would have to be photo-copied... I don't believe that's legal to reproduce. Unfortunately, Mopar Action magazine had never placed it onto the web (digital) or pdf, etc. I've had lots of Mopar people tell me THAT one magazine article is amongst their all-time favorite of any magazines... so to read the article about our cars, racing success, set-ups, etc.

Its a great article about both my T/A and John Sandberg's AAR -- we met in summer of 1975 at a HSAX (Blackhawk Farms Raceway, outside of Rockford, IL), and we became best friends ever since then! Our cars are always the most popular at any race event -- SCCA Solo/AX, HSAX, road course lapping events (as most other Mopars are, too!). We occasionally still get out to some events together.. still most popular amongst the other racers! Our "show" is "on the track"!

PS: Since Harris Publications is out-of-business (since ~early 2016), maybe it wouldn't matter any more about photo copying the article and posting???

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 01/11/17 06:35 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2232452
01/11/17 08:22 PM
01/11/17 08:22 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I believe the copyright is still enforceable, just in this case there is no one to enforce it if creditors, or whatever have moved on. The real issue is, this site (moparts) becomes legally libel for facilitating copyright infringement and i suspect will remove it upon their discovery. twocents

Last edited by jcc; 01/11/17 08:23 PM.

Re: Where to Start, A Reading List: - Rally [Re: Mattax] #2234112
01/14/17 06:16 PM
01/14/17 06:16 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
i thought the only infringement part would be if you were copying it to make money from it, alter it or take credit for it, not educate? Man I'd love to read the article too!