11/23/11 05:59 AM
www.mmcdetroit.com
MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
Quote:

From everything I've read over the years the '66-'71 street Hemis were considered normal production cars built on the line along side everything else. These weren't specialty cars like the Hemi Darts, Superbirds, Daytona Chargers, or Charger 500's. When you think of it, there are really very few parts that were Hemi only.

That is the way it was. The only batching that would go on other then the special cars that were already noted was in the paint area and convt's, if possible. Even today convt's go into a unique cell because of the time it takes to install the top mechanism and general complexity of the configuration.

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: MMC Detroit] #1117750
11/23/11 02:23 PM
11/23/11 02:23 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

From everything I've read over the years the '66-'71 street Hemis were considered normal production cars built on the line along side everything else. These weren't specialty cars like the Hemi Darts, Superbirds, Daytona Chargers, or Charger 500's. When you think of it, there are really very few parts that were Hemi only.

That is the way it was. The only batching that would go on other then the special cars that were already noted was in the paint area and convt's, if possible. Even today convt's go into a unique cell because of the time it takes to install the top mechanism and general complexity of the configuration.

Then why bother with the "SPECIAL HANDLING" instructions on the broadcast?

MB

Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: HPMike] #1117751
11/23/11 03:34 PM
11/23/11 03:34 PM
ILLinois
DartGTS Offline
super street
DartGTS  Offline
super street

ILLinois
Hello:
If you are refering to the A-Body Hemi cars.
I suggest you obtain a copy of the fore mentioned guide. The special handling and paper work inclduing broadcast sheet is fully explained,and is much to large to post here.

Maynard

Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: HPMike] #1117752
11/23/11 03:38 PM
11/23/11 03:38 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
xs29j8 Offline
master
xs29j8  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Any ideas on the "01 Hemi" at the bottom of my A4/M6S 1969 Road Runner?...

Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: HPMike] #1117753
11/26/11 11:13 PM
11/26/11 11:13 PM
St Louis, MO 63026
convx4 Offline
super stock
convx4  Offline
super stock

St Louis, MO 63026
This quote also taken from the wing warriors site.

When asked about the order of the cars coming down the assembly line James told us: "You might have two or three [Hemi cars] in a row, might have two or three in an hour, and some days you might only get one for the whole day. It all depends on what they ordered-that's the way we got them. Trim was supposed to mix up the models of cars so we didn't have two in a row. Running two big high-performance Hemis or 440s, Sixpacks-running a couple of those in a row just tore the line up. You weren't set for manpower to run them like that.

My favorite:

The worst accident I ever saw was in the disk plant when they first started using a robot. I'd never seen a robot in my life. I went over one time and one of the guys took me over and showed me a car and said, "One of those damned robots ate a car!" And you oughta have seen that. It looked like it had been run over by a freight train! I guess they programmed it wrong. It was a two-door car coming down and it [robot] had been programmed for a four-door or a station wagon and that sucker just kept eating on that car and it was tore all to hell. You couldn't believe how it was tore up! They demolished that car-they cut that one up-couldn't fix it."

Another thing that happened once, there was a compact type of car that went through the plant and it was a 4-door on one side and a 2-door on the other side. Boy, I wish I had that car! It was done more or less as a joke but when it got to the Final line, the plant manager didn't think it was so funny.

"Most of the Hemi cars were well-tested and a little broken-in by the time they were loaded onto the transport!"

When they fired up the Hemi cars for the first time, they'd backfire and you could hear them all the way up in the Paint department.

Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: HPMike] #1117754
11/27/11 09:27 AM
11/27/11 09:27 AM
www.mmcdetroit.com
MMC Detroit Offline
super stock
MMC Detroit  Offline
super stock

www.mmcdetroit.com
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then why bother with the "SPECIAL HANDLING" instructions on the broadcast?

MB

As a vehicle is built even a non special limited or special car line a bird or Hemi Dart a car could go on and off the main assembly line multiple times during the build. Including in plant quality control at various stages, out of plant quality control (ride test, ride control, customer prep), dealer pick-up as opposed to delivery by Nu-Car haul away or rail service etc... Any one of these scenarios could prompt a code being applied to the build by the programmer and it would automatically apply special handling feature to the car and a notation would appear on the bottome of all the broadcast sheets.

MMC/ ICCA Detroit. The Motor City or where ever there is Mopars
Re: Hemi car production question.. [Re: HPMike] #1117755
11/27/11 11:18 AM
11/27/11 11:18 AM
Germany
F
fc7_plumcrazy Offline
master
fc7_plumcrazy  Offline
master
F

Germany
Quote:

I always wondered this...

He(orig owner), placed the order and there were several delays from the dealer(factory). Was this because they had to take orders and build them in batches?

Anyone have any insight??

MB

Hi,

I do have a 70 Hemi Bee with the same story. Car was ordered in march and has an SPD of 622 in STL.
I have collected infos of 70 Hemi Bees but no other one was buillt around the time of my Bee.

Carsten

Page 2 of 2 1 2