11/23/11 12:48 PM
11/23/11 12:48 PM
Kingston, IL USA!
gts340swinger Offline
master
gts340swinger  Offline
master

Kingston, IL USA!
Great trip you had. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to go back and read all the links you posted. You should sell your story and pictures to a magazine.

Mr. Norm's "Fanatic" (idiot)
71 Mr. Norm's Demon GSS
77 Mr. Norm's personal B250 GSS van
76 Mr. Norm's KZ900 Motor Sports Special
69 Mr. Norm's M code Dart GTS
69 D100
68 Barracuda
64 Valiant V200
07 Charger Daytona SST 6 speed test mule.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: gts340swinger] #1113220
11/23/11 01:33 PM
11/23/11 01:33 PM
Rockford, IL.
R
Ruppman Offline
pro stock
Ruppman  Offline
pro stock
R

Rockford, IL.
yeah, the links are fantastic, enjoyed it all!

mark

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: wanna72rr] #1113221
11/23/11 06:43 PM
11/23/11 06:43 PM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Quote:

BEST POST ON MOPARTS EVER!!!!
Thanks for sharing! Amazing tour!

My thoughts exactly!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: ChryCoGuy] #1113222
11/23/11 09:38 PM
11/23/11 09:38 PM
Detroit, MI
GetAwayDriver Offline
top fuel
GetAwayDriver  Offline
top fuel

Detroit, MI
Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

Couldn't agree more, and not just because I'm in some of the pictures!

I didn't even have time to let the third page load, I'll have to come back and do that later (I'm supposed to be driving someplace right now in the 2011 Challenger I bought soon after we met!) Thank you so much for posting the pictures and the stories.

Believe it or not, you were the subject of conversations at just about every Chrysler factory in the US & Canada about a month after your plant tour... Like I mentioned to you, I wrote a story for the Warren Stamping Plant paper about your visit, which was later seen by our corporate communications department. They liked the story and invited me up to the HQ to do a "virtual meeting" that linked up to all the Chrysler plants (part of a usual monthly meeting).

I've always been proud of my city, and the place that I work. But your kind words and photos will have me standing just a bit taller today! You can bet this thread is going to get circulated!

You and I talked some serious politics when we weren't staring at cars, and as I said... You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know! This place would be a lot better off with more "Hans'"! On that note, have you ever considered picking up a cheap condo in a warm-weather US state for your retirement? Phoenix is no Detroit when it comes to cars, but there is plenty to keep busy with! Not suggesting you leave Finland anymore than I plan to leave Michigan, just a place to escape the hard winter months.

No need to apologize for buying a car because you couldn't bear to see it scrapped... I just did the same thing with this '69 Imperial which I needed like a hole in the head (see driveway), but it kills me that somebody was going to derby this 43-year-old beauty!

(Ignore the Zombie makeup... I posed with the back-from-dead car while I was dressed as a Zombie for Halloween)

I definitely want to see more of Europe, and would love to go during that huge Power Meet in Sweden. Of course, you'll probably get back to Detroit before I make it there, but either way we'll connect.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and links!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: GetAwayDriver] #1113223
11/23/11 09:44 PM
11/23/11 09:44 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Quote:

You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know!

I've thought that just by reading his posts on here.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113224
11/23/11 10:15 PM
11/23/11 10:15 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I had a few long talks with Hans, he definitely is more American than "most" Americans! Good thing we can't talk politics on Moparts or we might just learn a thing or two from him! Between me helping a member in Switzerland and now Finland it makes me want to head over there soon (so I can appreciate the United States more)

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: rapom] #1113225
11/24/11 04:07 AM
11/24/11 04:07 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Looks like you really made the most out of your trip. You saw more than I have ever seen in my entire life. You even got a picture of me twice at the Donut Cutter. I was the one with the green 68 charger. Wish I would have had a chance to talk to you.

Glad you had a great time and sorry about your mom.

Thank you! You know, when a European car geek gets to the US one usually tries to make the most of it. I live a pretty Spartan life back home, everything is so costly due to high taxes that it takes a toll on everything including peoples enthusiasm. Most people I am in touch with are car people as they try to escape the harsh realities into another dimension. Often on my trips people in the US have the idea that Europeans are wealthy because they do this sort of thing. In most cases this is pretty far from the truth. A lot of us just love America, American cars etc to the degree that cost doesn't matter, if it is doable in some way, go for it! I was waiting for the Tulsa Plymouth unearthening for 25 years or so, it didn't really matter if I could do it or not. I HAD to be there. There was a fellow from NZ that said that he might lose his house over it, another said that he didn't care if he'd lose his job due to the trip. At the same time there were people on the other side of Tulsa who thought that it looked rainy, I'll probably not go. Lol. It's all about preferences I guess. I'm not saying that I'm doing the right descisions, they just feel right to me. I owe Chrysler Corporation a lot, without the engineering and design from Highland Park and Auburn Hills I do not know what I would do and where I would get my kicks from. I'm a Chrysler Man and it makes me happy.

I am sorry if I offended people by just pretty much running through the Donut Cutter but it was really my choice. I didn't really know anyone (or most of the cars, lol) there and I was afraid that if I'd start talking I'd never be out of there. It was hard though, many interesting rides present (nice Charger! ), especially the Cornfed Duster, a very mean ride, something that could have been parked outside Jimmy Addison's back in the day! It might not seem like it but this trip was a lot about compromises and this was one of them. Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: gts340swinger] #1113226
11/24/11 04:16 AM
11/24/11 04:16 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Great trip you had. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to go back and read all the links you posted. You should sell your story and pictures to a magazine.

Thank you again, I really think that the links give a lot more to this thread even if it is a lot of reading! Actually, I was going to email a couple of magazines on this side of the pond to make maybe a story on Warren Truck or Woodward etc...it is hard to do a story on the whole trip I think, the pics would be too small and hard to get even a small percentage what is in this thread, in. And even this thread is a compromise, lol. Spent probably 100 hours doing it with my slow laptop and sometimes painfully slow internet connection. But I still think I left too much cool stuff out.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: GetAwayDriver] #1113227
11/24/11 05:08 AM
11/24/11 05:08 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

Couldn't agree more, and not just because I'm in some of the pictures!

I didn't even have time to let the third page load, I'll have to come back and do that later (I'm supposed to be driving someplace right now in the 2011 Challenger I bought soon after we met!) Thank you so much for posting the pictures and the stories.

Believe it or not, you were the subject of conversations at just about every Chrysler factory in the US & Canada about a month after your plant tour... Like I mentioned to you, I wrote a story for the Warren Stamping Plant paper about your visit, which was later seen by our corporate communications department. They liked the story and invited me up to the HQ to do a "virtual meeting" that linked up to all the Chrysler plants (part of a usual monthly meeting).

I've always been proud of my city, and the place that I work. But your kind words and photos will have me standing just a bit taller today! You can bet this thread is going to get circulated!

You and I talked some serious politics when we weren't staring at cars, and as I said... You have a better understanding and appreciation of the way America is supposed to work than most Americans I know! This place would be a lot better off with more "Hans'"! On that note, have you ever considered picking up a cheap condo in a warm-weather US state for your retirement? Phoenix is no Detroit when it comes to cars, but there is plenty to keep busy with! Not suggesting you leave Finland anymore than I plan to leave Michigan, just a place to escape the hard winter months.

No need to apologize for buying a car because you couldn't bear to see it scrapped... I just did the same thing with this '69 Imperial which I needed like a hole in the head (see driveway), but it kills me that somebody was going to derby this 43-year-old beauty!

I definitely want to see more of Europe, and would love to go during that huge Power Meet in Sweden. Of course, you'll probably get back to Detroit before I make it there, but either way we'll connect.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and links!

Wow...I don't know what to say. I am certainly happy and honored about the publicity! I just sent my thank you note to the Warren Truck Plant manager for the hospitality I received, before reading this! I also sent him the link to this thread. Awesome stuff!

Most people at Chrysler probably don't have a clue about the fact that their products would sell in totally different numbers if there wouldn't be huge one-way trade barriers. The German car market is considered to be one of the cheapest in Europe and look what happens with the pricing when a Jeep or a Chrysler 300 hits Europe. Not to mention that there are far more worse examples with Finland being a horror story. Here a new half ton Ram is about $100K...if you ever get it through inspection.

http://www.fairimage.org/compare.htm

I would certainly love to spend a part of the year in the US if I ever could finance it. I am in the extremely slow process of moving to Sweden, much due to the high taxation on cars in Finland and the huge base of American car enthusiasts and thus, events, in Sweden. I was hoping to move to the US for quite awhile but with my 40 cars (most are carefully planned buys over 2 decades) and a couple of big rigs worth of stuff its not too realistic anymore. Are you planning a car enthusiast community in Phoenix? Actually, I have always wondered why a bunch of collectors and enthusiasts in the US haven't pooled their resources and made a small town (not necessarily that small for long) timemachine where one could escape all the "environmentalists" and other control freaks...I'm not against clean air, I'm against people disguising other issues in the environment smoke screen.

I have to say that my time in Detroit has been some of the best in my life, not least because of the many inside industry views I got! I certainly hope to meet you again soon! And man, that 69 Imperial would be just the right ticket for my next tour...we are prisoners of our past and I wanted a black 69-71 New Yorker as the sights of those was what I grew up with. Only 1-2 new Imperials per year usually sold here...but it is what I think an American car should be. Power, comfort and styling second to none! And that was going to get derbied?? Glad you saved it, looks stylish in your driveway!

I do think that you should get over here at some point, it will get a new perspective on things for sure! I am looking forward to that day! Thank you again for everything! And yeah, have fun with the new Challenger, one of those would be beside my new Ram if I'd live over there!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113228
11/24/11 05:11 AM
11/24/11 05:11 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

I had a few long talks with Hans, he definitely is more American than "most" Americans! Good thing we can't talk politics on Moparts or we might just learn a thing or two from him! Between me helping a member in Switzerland and now Finland it makes me want to head over there soon (so I can appreciate the United States more)

I think the last sentence sums it up pretty well! But there are cool things to see here if you come during the summer!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113229
11/24/11 10:59 AM
11/24/11 10:59 AM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Quote:

Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Please do! I would love to meet you...and of course I owe you that ride in my 4-speed Dart. heheh...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113230
11/24/11 11:18 AM
11/24/11 11:18 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Quote:

Certainly hope to spend more time at the Donut Cutter the next time!

Please do! I would love to meet you...and of course I owe you that ride in my 4-speed Dart. heheh...

You're on! Promise to chirp the tires in second? And there is in fact a Duster in Detroit that I want to see so badly that if I had the money I'd fly over just to see it...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113231
11/25/11 10:29 PM
11/25/11 10:29 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Quote:

You're on! Promise to chirp the tires in second? And there is in fact a Duster in Detroit that I want to see so badly that if I had the money I'd fly over just to see it...

I can chirp them in all 4 gears... hehheh...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113232
11/27/11 01:55 PM
11/27/11 01:55 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Quote:

I can chirp them in all 4 gears... hehheh...

Hey, I wasn't trying to talk you into any illegal activities ...but that sounds even better!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: GetAwayDriver] #1113233
11/27/11 02:02 PM
11/27/11 02:02 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

I got a bit more critical looking at this thread when you said the above...so I have just added almost 200 pics to it with heavy Chrysler bias...mostly to the MoPar Nats, Detroit and Ypsilanti posts...will still add some to the WPC Museum post later as well.

I'm still a bit blown away by the attention my visit received in Auburn Hills, very cool!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113234
01/08/12 12:20 PM
01/08/12 12:20 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Not enough? How about the building where Creative Industries put together the Dodge Charger Daytonas?;

http://www.aerowarriors.com/afct.html

There has been some discussion on Moparts about what one can take photos of etc...here's some interesting info regarding the Creative Industries building I received from another forum;

"Amazing tour. Great stuff; thanks for sharing.

Wow, you even found the Daytona building at 10 MIle and Brittany in East Detroit.

(Later Tocco's Mafia hangout)

Originally Posted by Forwardlook

Uhh...had no idea that the place used to be (I hope USED TO are the operative words here) a wise guy hang out...The Detroit Partnership? Care to share more, what was going down there?

Tocco owned the place in the later 70s and they would fill the parking lot with Cadillacs about once a month and have a meeting inside. Guys (including locals) were posted outside the doors making sure nobody came in and warning if the cops came (which they never did).

Wow, that must have been quite a sight...glad that is in the past, I bet a guy taking pics all over wouldn't have been very well received in those circles..."

You never know what you might be pointing your camera at when taking pics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Partnership

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6