10/31/11 04:01 PM
10/31/11 04:01 PM
Sacramento, CA
cal_gecko Offline OP
I Live Here
cal_gecko  Offline OP
I Live Here

Sacramento, CA
Getting the 71 Dart painted soon.. need to get things like doorframe seals, chrome trim around windows/vinyl top, clips, etc... where should I get this stuff? Not looking for restoration-correct, just looking for driver-quality stuff.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: cal_gecko] #1104783
10/31/11 06:56 PM
10/31/11 06:56 PM
Oklahoma
T
TinCuda Offline
enthusiast
TinCuda  Offline
enthusiast
T

Oklahoma
Rock Auto, Year One, Dante's, Classic Industries, etc, lots of folks sell weather stripping. Check out some of the venders on the first page. Classic Industries still sends out free catalogs that are fun to look through. It might help with your project.

If you are painting the car, you might consider new body bumpers for your hood, trunk, and doors. Also body plugs, firewall seals, etc. The little things can drive you crazy...hehe.

Here is a link to Dante's. I have good luck with him.

http://www.dantesparts.com/weatherstrip.html

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O) 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6 {||O||} 2000 Yamaha V-Max (O O [========= SRT] O O) 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 . Making as big as a carbon footprint as I can!!!
Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: TinCuda] #1104784
10/31/11 07:13 PM
10/31/11 07:13 PM
New State
kidmopar Offline
master
kidmopar  Offline
master

New State

"If you are painting the car, you might consider new body bumpers for your hood, trunk, and doors. Also body plugs, firewall seals, etc. The little things can drive you crazy...hehe"

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: kidmopar] #1104785
11/19/11 02:39 AM
11/19/11 02:39 AM
Sacramento, CA
cal_gecko Offline OP
I Live Here
cal_gecko  Offline OP
I Live Here

Sacramento, CA
Quote:

"If you are painting the car, you might consider new body bumpers for your hood, trunk, and doors. Also body plugs, firewall seals, etc. The little things can drive you crazy...hehe"

Thanks .. it's frustrating, Rock Auto has the best prices, but they don't have much selection (no window felts or some of the other seals), Dante has good selection, but high prices, I'm trying to find a kit that has the gaskets for a new paint job (the gaskets to go between the fender/quarterpanel extensions, marker lights, etc).. can't find those anywhere... would be nice is there was one site with reasonable prices where I could get everything.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: cal_gecko] #1104786
11/19/11 11:22 AM
11/19/11 11:22 AM
Oklahoma
T
TinCuda Offline
enthusiast
TinCuda  Offline
enthusiast
T

Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks .. it's frustrating, Rock Auto has the best prices, but they don't have much selection (no window felts or some of the other seals), Dante has good selection, but high prices, I'm trying to find a kit that has the gaskets for a new paint job (the gaskets to go between the fender/quarterpanel extensions, marker lights, etc).. can't find those anywhere... would be nice is there was one site with reasonable prices where I could get everything.

I know that it can be a real pain, just to research out all venders. Year One or Classic Industries may be a good one-stop-shop if you want to just place one big order.

For your Gaskets that you are looking for, get them from Detroit Muscle Technologies. These guys make the gaskets. DMT is where most of the good venders get their gaskets from.

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O) 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6 {||O||} 2000 Yamaha V-Max (O O [========= SRT] O O) 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 . Making as big as a carbon footprint as I can!!!
Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: cal_gecko] #1104787
11/19/11 11:28 AM
11/19/11 11:28 AM
NE Ohio
66HP2 Offline
66HP2  Offline

NE Ohio
try detroit muscle technologies for all the gaskets. They have paint gasket kits, fire wall gasket kits and more. I have used them several times.
www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: 66HP2] #1104788
11/19/11 11:50 AM
11/19/11 11:50 AM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
Member 71TA is the owner of DMT, PM him or look on ebay.

Topcat brand window fuzzies are one of the better brands out there, they fit well.

Metro is the company for weatherstrip kits. Support the site sponsors, or use ebay for the cheapest price on parts.

Window chrome will have to come from the A body classifieds here, or look over on For A Bodies Only too. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/
Try placing a wanted ad for what you need. Also a wanted ad on your local craigslist may help, as theres quite a few mopar folks down your way. Even pick and pull has A bodies down by you, you can check their inventory on line.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: NV69B7RR] #1104789
11/19/11 02:06 PM
11/19/11 02:06 PM
Sacramento, CA
cal_gecko Offline OP
I Live Here
cal_gecko  Offline OP
I Live Here

Sacramento, CA
Thanks guys... I placed an order through Detroit Muscle last night for the paint gasket kit, another order through Rockauto for a weatherstrip kit (roof rail seal, door seals and trunk seal for a really good price).. I had about $350 worth of stuff saved in my shopping cart at JustMopar (window fuzzies, hood/cowl seal, hood/radiator support seal, etc),... I just went back to the site, and apparently it doesn't save everything ... oh well... maybe I'll check eBay though to see what I can find.. thanks again!

This stuff is expensive.. I'll probably have $600-$700 into weatherstripping/seals by the time I'm done.. .sheesh! No wonder there are so few Mopars on the road!

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: cal_gecko] #1104790
11/22/11 06:29 PM
11/22/11 06:29 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Thanks for the purchase. Really, you haven't heard of us? I've been on here for years. I need to advertise more I guess.
Can I ask, when looking for gaskets, did you just do a Google search? For what exactly so I can tweak my SEO.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: 71TA] #1104791
11/22/11 07:27 PM
11/22/11 07:27 PM
Sacramento, CA
cal_gecko Offline OP
I Live Here
cal_gecko  Offline OP
I Live Here

Sacramento, CA
Quote:

Thanks for the purchase. Really, you haven't heard of us? I've been on here for years. I need to advertise more I guess.
Can I ask, when looking for gaskets, did you just do a Google search? For what exactly so I can tweak my SEO.

Honestly, I started with Year One, then Rock Auto, then Classic Industries.. then I think I did a Google search, which was how I found your site... and I'm glad I did!

Honestly, I just went to the names I knew first, hoping they'd have something, and then figured I'd do some price comparisons to see if I could find the stuff anywhere else.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: cal_gecko] #1104792
11/22/11 08:39 PM
11/22/11 08:39 PM
okla.
O
okie Offline
pro stock
okie  Offline
pro stock
O

okla.
Classic Industries has a 20% off going on right now, you might want to check with them again. Ronnie

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: okie] #1104793
11/23/11 10:10 AM
11/23/11 10:10 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Online content
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Online Content
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
be very carefull buying on price alone.
When it comes to weatherstriping make sure you get Metro Super soft or Steele Rubber products.
DO NOT use Soffseal for anything weatherstriping related, you will be sorry.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: gtx6970] #1104794
11/23/11 11:51 AM
11/23/11 11:51 AM
Utah
E
Eagleone1983 Offline
Eagleone1983  Offline
E

Utah
Quote:

When it comes to weatherstriping make sure you get Metro Super soft or Steele Rubber products.

Really? Lea from Dixie restorations suggests some Soffseal items and some Metro stuff. She said she does that based on her research on what fits better from each company so it might depend on what seal you're buying. I haven't installed any of my seals yet so I can't speak from experience yet.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: Eagleone1983] #1104795
11/23/11 12:06 PM
11/23/11 12:06 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Online content
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Online Content
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Quote:

Really? Lea from Dixie restorations suggests some Soffseal items and some Metro stuff. She said she does that based on her research on what fits better from each company so it might depend on what seal you're buying. I haven't installed any of my seals yet so I can't speak from experience yet.

This was on a 1970 Cuda.

Roofrail seals ( soffseal) were to hard. when you tried to adjust the door and 1/4 glass they would push the glass out instead of alowing the glass to press into the seals .
I tried for the better part of 8 hours to adjust glass to weatherstrip seal.

I put the metro roofrail weatherstriping on and had all 4 pieces of glass adjusted in under 2 hours.

Door seals were also to hard, and would pop the door open with force as soon as you pulled the handle up. Replaced them with Metro and now once you pull the handle up you have to pull the doors open.

trunk seal, also a soffseal piece was so hard it would raise the decklid almost a 1/2" at the front corners IF you got it closed.
And you had to litterly stand on the decklid or slam it hard to get the lid to latch.

I pulled it off, replaced it with the metro piece, and although I don't think it's as easy or nice as NOS originals, it was WAY better than the soffseal weatherstriping for fit and ease to close the decklid.

Soffseal is less than 45 minutes from me, and I will never use them again.

I had talked to Randy and Lea about the trunk seal weatherstripng and he tells me it's neither Metro, Steele or soffseal and he swears it's as close to factory original as one can get. But I have not used it yet. Next one I need , I'm going to try it.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: okie] #1104796
11/23/11 03:50 PM
11/23/11 03:50 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Classic Industries has a 20% off going on right now, you might want to check with them again. Ronnie

Classic Industries is selling gaskets sets from some snakes that bought a bunch of my kits a couple years ago to copy. When I was at Carlisle last summer I saw thier kits and they STILL had some of our original pieces in them (yep I can tell) as well as some SoffSeal gaskets and some mirror gaskets that couldn't even pass as rejects.

Unfortunately Year One sells thier stuff too. The reason both Classic and Year One sell thier gaskets is because this company makes a bunch of Cheby pieces like battery tray and fan shrounds so they already have an in. If you actually try to buy one of thier gasket kits from Classic or Year One they "aren't in stock". The one I bought to check out took a MONTH to get. My kits ship next day usually PLUS I'm a car guy, not some big faceless company. I have reverese engineered and hand test fit every single gasket I sell so it fits better than OEM.

PS I had the exact same experience with weatherstrips as Bill when doing my own 71 Challenger. Also the 71 Challenger Soffseal gasket kit was SO BAD I laughed and threw it in the trash. That kit, 7 years ago, is what got me started making better gaskets. Guess thats what happens when you become a big company and a set of calipers no longer fits your hand, you forget about quality.

Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: Eagleone1983] #1104797
11/26/11 08:40 PM
11/26/11 08:40 PM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, we've been selling different brands depending on the applications for years. Often times people prefer one over another due to personal preferences. While in Product Development at Year One, we tested Metro and Soffseal to see whose was the best fitting on a 69 Charger. We did this so we could buy from one vendor to get a better margin. During the research, one guy preferred one brand for various reasons and the other perferred the other for different reasons. This was the mid-1990's and no decision was ever made to use only one vendor. No one company covered all the applications either. Of course, as the ever popular saying goes, "that was then, this is now."

Unfortunately, we've noticed that lately the quality of Soffseal products isn't what it used to be. I'm not sure if they've changed their chemical formualation or what. Going forward we will sell Metro instead of Soffseal for most applications. As always we value customer feedback to know how a part fits and functions. I recommend everyone let a manufacturer know if they aren't satisfed with a part, and why, so they can correct it. If a manufacturer choose's not to, then it leaves the door open for competition. Most big manufacturer's don't know a Cuda from a Camaro, so if a customer never says anything, then they can't fix it. When sales slow, they think there is no market for that brand of car and don't make any new parts. Ok, I'm getting off topic here a little. So, to bring it back, we sell many brands depending on fit and quality. Some, like the trunk w/s mentioned above, is private label. We do have some old Soffseal w/s that is good, so if you want a deal, give us a buzz. New inventory will be Metro until something better comes along. At which point, we will switch to it, so we can always provide the best quality.

Thanks !

Randy

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Where to get things like doorframe seals, driprail trim [Re: Dixie] #1104798
11/27/11 02:11 PM
11/27/11 02:11 PM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
Check out Restoration Specialities and Supply in Windber, PA. for all of your weatherstripping needs. They manufacture most of the items that the other vendors on here sell. They do carry or can get the product line for all of the major vendors like Steele, Metro, Soft Seal and Precision. They also manufacture product for all of these vendors and are the manufacture of the "Top Cat" window felts. Not only do they have an extensive inventory of weatherstripping, they have an even larger inventory of clips and fastners. Check out their website at www.restorationspecialities.com or give them a call at 814-467-9842 or 814-467-9282.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits