12/06/11 11:13 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I definitely understand the appeal of parts that work well and don't need any work, but is it that hard to centerpunch and drill five holes? How accurate are the parts we buy from overseas for applications like this? Do you think the guy working on a drill press with a worn out jig in china cares more than you do about getting it dead on? Is it only ok to use parts that bolt on how you get them in the mail from summit?

I always thought making stuff work and solving problems with simple tools was one of the best parts of hot rodding and also a skill Americans are rapidly losing. It was pretty easy to check the runout once the rotors were mocked up. Not everybody has a thousand bucks laying around for lightweight billet parts.

I happen to like my scarebird setup and if I hadn't bought it I probably would have cobbled together a similar setup without the luxury of a mill, lathe, and foundry. It's the same bull crap with Harleys- people pay over a thousand bucks for billet aluminum brake setups that half the time are plumbed to the wrong diameter master cylinder. My shovelhead is upgraded from 10" single piston disc brakes to 11" rotors with four and six piston tokico brakes off crashed crotch rockets on eBay. It stops awesome and the brackets are home made.

Why all the mud slinging?

Why are you getting your undies all in a bunch because someone, ME, chooses not to turn a brake job into an all day affair modifying parts to fit?

Center punching something by hand and drilling it in either a drill press or freehand is a bunch different in the final outcome than doing it with equipment with digital readouts. I guess the saving grace to the scarebird setup is you are using the precision of the factory hub to attach the rotors that have hole clearanced for the studs to pass thru them, if you screw it up you can just open it up to the next size

The setup I have has the wheel studs done by hand thru the stock hubs and it has .010 of run out , you'll definitely feel that at 100mph. I knew this going in , I wanted the rest of the brake parts since I had a stock set of unmodified hubs to work with.

Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: radar] #1104367
12/06/11 11:17 AM
12/06/11 11:17 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

I definitely understand the appeal of parts that work well and don't need any work, but is it that hard to centerpunch and drill five holes? How accurate are the parts we buy from overseas for applications like this? Do you think the guy working on a drill press with a worn out jig in china cares more than you do about getting it dead on? Is it only ok to use parts that bolt on how you get them in the mail from summit?

I always thought making stuff work and solving problems with simple tools was one of the best parts of hot rodding and also a skill Americans are rapidly losing. It was pretty easy to check the runout once the rotors were mocked up. Not everybody has a thousand bucks laying around for lightweight billet parts.

I happen to like my scarebird setup and if I hadn't bought it I probably would have cobbled together a similar setup without the luxury of a mill, lathe, and foundry. It's the same bull crap with Harleys- people pay over a thousand bucks for billet aluminum brake setups that half the time are plumbed to the wrong diameter master cylinder. My shovelhead is upgraded from 10" single piston disc brakes to 11" rotors with four and six piston tokico brakes off crashed crotch rockets on eBay. It stops awesome and the brackets are home made.

Why all the mud slinging?

I couldnt agree with you more.
My entire engine is a bXstard case. But that's the way I wanted it.
I wanted something no one else could bolt on and say "yeah I have that too...".

And I am also putting 6 piston corvette z06 brakes on my dakota as well. I dont care what anyone thinks about non mopar brakes on a mopar...the brakes that came on my truck suck. They would suck even worse with this engine.

The skills in this country are indeed diminishing because everyone has this mindset that everything must bolt on, and this mentality of just having someone else do it for them. Where is the inspiration to be creative, different, and show a little ethic in the process?

Pride of ownership...that's where it all comes from. Why have the same car as everyone else in a different color?

Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: challengermike] #1104368
12/06/11 11:32 AM
12/06/11 11:32 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

Im going to be putting disc brakes on a 72 dart i just bought.I cant seemed to decide which route to go,WILWOOD DISC BRAKE kit or go with the scarebird conversion.I want to stay with the small bolt pattern front wheels,Centerline 15x3 or 15x4s,not sure which width.It seems like the scare bird kit would be alot cheaper,but that worries me alittle.Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370548530298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400218429944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

problem with wilwood is they used 1/2" lugs not 7/16" and i don't think the hub will fit in the stock wheels. god knows what they did something so stupid. will most likely have to go to an aftermarket wheel. there are more choices then there used to be but still not all that many when compared to large bolt pattern...

been looking into it myself for jamies dart. i have stuff to go over to big bolt but she loves the painted wheels. going big bolt turns into a complete front end rebuild ( may as well since its that far apart). then i have to get another set of wheels and pain them body color. just seems like too much at this point. i figure if i go scarebird she can keep the wheels she has now. seems to be the cheapest route, parts are easy to get and down the road if i want to put my alter-k in her car i can probably sell the scarebird set up all done for close to what i have in to it..

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: JohnRR] #1104369
12/06/11 11:33 AM
12/06/11 11:33 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

What rotors does the scarebird use to keep the 4" bolt circle ?

its a toyota rotor that you redrill to a 4" bolt pattern.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: AndyF] #1104370
12/06/11 11:36 AM
12/06/11 11:36 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

Wilwood or Scarebird? Wow, talk about between a rock and a hard spot.

do you make a small bolt disc brake kit that works with a stock steel wheel?

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: AndyF] #1104371
12/06/11 11:38 AM
12/06/11 11:38 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

Come on John, it isn't that tough. You just put the rotor down in the mud so to hold it firm, then you use a hand held drill with a rusty drill bit. If you don't have a big enough drill bit you just wallor out the hole a little bit by chewing on the sides. The wheels might wiggle a bit but nobody cares about that.

boy what was i thinking. i was just going to run the rotors down to the local machine shop and have them drill a 4" bolt circle in them for me.. but if a rusty drill bit and mud to hold the rotor works for me maybe i'll just do that.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Disc brakes A body,WILWOOD or scarebird? [Re: abodyjoe] #1104372
12/06/11 11:52 AM
12/06/11 11:52 AM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Sorry if I took it personally I understand not everybody has measuring tools or machining confidence. If you don't know what you're doing brakes are not a good place to start experimenting.

And don't worry when I did mine after I smooshed the rotor into some mud to hold it I used both hands on the rusty hand drill so the holes would be straight. It worked much better than my first technique where I yelled "pull" and shot at the rotor with a pistol. I could get the pattern pretty close but the holes were either too small with the .357 magnum or too big with the .50 action express. There's nothing like the right tool for the job!

Page 2 of 2 1 2