J
John Burdine Offline
pro stock
John Burdine  Offline
pro stock
J

Chesterfield Twp. Mi.
Quote:

Have you not tried tightening the front shocks, tightening the rear shocks, limiting travel, more tire pressure, bolting weight on the front???

the answer is right here, maybe try and slip the tire instead of the dead hook, a little wheel speed may work wonders as well.

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Big Squeeze] #1090504
10/10/11 01:12 PM
10/10/11 01:12 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Quote:

Quote:

I remember why i quit posting an coming here now.

Quote:

Why would you want to come here and post your problems ? Only to find a more than a few fellow racers that repeatedly give some input to try to help in some way. That usually ends up with you ignoring what gets posted or you not responding to anything but what you want to hear.

Or maybe your too thin skinned to play with the big kids.

EXACTLY, Fred.....You took the words right out of my mouth.... If someone's smart enough to take good advice, they probably don't need it.....

Quote:

If you have a digital 7 you can retard timing in low gear also, but try the shocks first.

No offense, but retarding timing to control a wheelstand IS NOT the thing to do......that's a crutch JUST LIKE the wheelie bar...... This is a DRAG RACE so you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER kill power unless you're blowing the tires off with the front tires in the air......Now, that's something to be proud of instead of these ghey-azz wheelie vids he keeps posting.....

Back when his junk had no power we tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen for YEARS......now we're trying to help him again, and I'm guessing it'll be YEARS before he figures it out......

Truth is Shawn, most people look at your threads purely for the entertainment value (just like reading Purple Eddy's threads).....not because we think you're so cool because you FINALLY got it into the 8's and you think it needs wheelie bars.....

I would have to agree Wayne. If the car goes from the first two wheelies, and then " all of a sudden" does this monster wheel stand, and you dont know why, then your really in trouble, unless of course you just want the attention???? ( or turned on the nitrous?)

A wheelie bar wont fix the problem. A wheelie bar is a tuning aid, not meant to be a saftey stop on a 3400#+ car. You'll really mess things up there. You need to better understand why your car is acting like it is, but then again, as mentioned,...you never want to take any good advice. I just hope you dont wad the car up, because it is a nice ride.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: John Burdine] #1090505
10/10/11 01:55 PM
10/10/11 01:55 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
so the opinions posted for the correct way to cure the problem is pretty much the same. It comes from those who have plenty knowledge most gain from personal experience in a like situation. Try to cure it with suspension travel and shock changes not wheelie bars.

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #1090506
10/10/11 01:56 PM
10/10/11 01:56 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Have you not tried tightening the front shocks, tightening the rear shocks, limiting travel, more tire pressure, bolting weight on the front???

the answer is right here, maybe try and slip the tire instead of the dead hook, a little wheel speed may work wonders as well.

EXACTLY, John......by the way it bounces like Tigger in the first two vids it needs more power or air pressure (maybe along with a wider rim)....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I remember why i quit posting an coming here now.

Quote:

Why would you want to come here and post your problems ? Only to find a more than a few fellow racers that repeatedly give some input to try to help in some way. That usually ends up with you ignoring what gets posted or you not responding to anything but what you want to hear.

Or maybe your too thin skinned to play with the big kids.

EXACTLY, Fred.....You took the words right out of my mouth.... If someone's smart enough to take good advice, they probably don't need it.....

Quote:

If you have a digital 7 you can retard timing in low gear also, but try the shocks first.

No offense, but retarding timing to control a wheelstand IS NOT the thing to do......that's a crutch JUST LIKE the wheelie bar...... This is a DRAG RACE so you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER kill power unless you're blowing the tires off with the front tires in the air......Now, that's something to be proud of instead of these ghey-azz wheelie vids he keeps posting.....

Back when his junk had no power we tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen for YEARS......now we're trying to help him again, and I'm guessing it'll be YEARS before he figures it out......

Truth is Shawn, most people look at your threads purely for the entertainment value (just like reading Purple Eddy's threads).....not because we think you're so cool because you FINALLY got it into the 8's and you think it needs wheelie bars.....

I would have to agree Wayne. If the car goes from the first two wheelies, and then " all of a sudden" does this monster wheel stand, and you dont know why, then your really in trouble, unless of course you just want the attention???? ( or turned on the nitrous?)

A wheelie bar wont fix the problem. A wheelie bar is a tuning aid, not meant to be a saftey stop on a 3400#+ car. You'll really mess things up there. You need to better understand why your car is acting like it is, but then again, as mentioned,...you never want to take any good advice. I just hope you dont wad the car up, because it is a nice ride.

Todd, you've been around enough to see what's going to happen too .......The car is cool and it's nice seeing a full body early Mopar B-body in the 8's.....but to get your feelings hurt over people offering advice, even though you may not agree, and then deleting posts is goofy.....

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Big Squeeze] #1090507
10/10/11 03:07 PM
10/10/11 03:07 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Well if this is a CalTrac car then it's totally different. Regular wheelie bars just don't work that well with leaf springs, been there, done that, and that right there is your toughest obstacle to overcome because it's just not going to be as consistent no matter what anyone says or how you look at it. However you can make adjustments to calm the car down and that is what you are going to need to do.

So you may not get that perfect wheels up launch you want every time, compromises will have to be made because the suspension is a compromise to start with. But since no info was provided to start with in either post everyone had to assume something.

Maybe if you gave good foundation information to start with you could have gotten different answers instead of just running away like a little girl.

I'm just messing with you, don't take it personal, if you can't take a joke then, oh well. You have an awesome fast car and if it's on CalTracs my hat is off to you but don't ever think you'll get it to work as consistent as a four link car, won't happen no way no how.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Guitar Jones] #1090508
10/10/11 03:10 PM
10/10/11 03:10 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Isn't this the same car thats faster with big wheelies?

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Big Squeeze] #1090509
10/10/11 05:42 PM
10/10/11 05:42 PM
NJ
SSDAcuda Offline
super stock
SSDAcuda  Offline
super stock

NJ
Quote:

No offense, but retarding timing to control a wheelstand IS NOT the thing to do......that's a crutch JUST LIKE the wheelie bar...... This is a DRAG RACE so you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER kill power unless you're blowing the tires off with the front tires in the air.....

Big, correct me if I'm wrong, but he's just bracket racing. If he slows it up a couple hundreths in low and it keeps him from wadding it up, well he left a few hundreths on the table.

If you look at my first post, I thought he had a four link, that is where I would go.

And I can tell you all that spinning the tire, and major wheelies are not the fastest way from a to b. I have tested with timing pulled out in low gear verses unloading on the wheelie bar and the graph and time slips tell the tale. The four link was the ultimate answer, but wheelspin is to be prevented at all costs...

Everyone wants to pounce on Shawn for not listening to advice. If he wads the car up for not listening, that is his problem. If he wads the car up and no one gave him any advice, thats our problem. Its my nature to try to help people. I know I am thankful whenever someone helps me, no matter how big or small the favor.

SS/DA 1924
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: SSDAcuda] #1090510
10/10/11 06:21 PM
10/10/11 06:21 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
but wheelspin is to be prevented at all costs...

Not so... if he were to "get up on the tire" it would
most likely 60' better... it does for me... a controlled
amount of slippage

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1090511
10/10/11 06:38 PM
10/10/11 06:38 PM
NJ
SSDAcuda Offline
super stock
SSDAcuda  Offline
super stock

NJ
Your right MR P, I'm using a radial and there is a difference...

SS/DA 1924
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: SSDAcuda] #1090512
10/10/11 07:06 PM
10/10/11 07:06 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

No offense, but retarding timing to control a wheelstand IS NOT the thing to do......that's a crutch JUST LIKE the wheelie bar...... This is a DRAG RACE so you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER kill power unless you're blowing the tires off with the front tires in the air.....

Big, correct me if I'm wrong, but he's just bracket racing. If he slows it up a couple hundreths in low and it keeps him from wadding it up, well he left a few hundreths on the table.

If you look at my first post, I thought he had a four link, that is where I would go.

And I can tell you all that spinning the tire, and major wheelies are not the fastest way from a to b. I have tested with timing pulled out in low gear verses unloading on the wheelie bar and the graph and time slips tell the tale. The four link was the ultimate answer, but wheelspin is to be prevented at all costs...

Everyone wants to pounce on Shawn for not listening to advice. If he wads the car up for not listening, that is his problem. If he wads the car up and no one gave him any advice, thats our problem. Its my nature to try to help people. I know I am thankful whenever someone helps me, no matter how big or small the favor.

As far as I can tell, he's ET chasing more than bracket racing.... and trying to not drag the bumper....It's wadding the tire and bouncing when it leaves the starting line now......it needs more power, or more tire pressure, or maybe more tire pressure along with a wider rim.......along with MORE shock control, front and rear.......the body is seperating, so it needs a stiffer rear shock adjustment.....If his shocks won't do the job, it needs better shocks...... If the front shocks are at the tightest setting and the wheels are dropped all the way as soon as the front tires leave the ground, he needs better shocks......

But he knows too much to listen, just like the motor build saga from a few years ago......

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Big Squeeze] #1090513
10/10/11 07:12 PM
10/10/11 07:12 PM
NJ
SSDAcuda Offline
super stock
SSDAcuda  Offline
super stock

NJ
What Shawn really needs is a crew chief. A GOOD crew chief!

SS/DA 1924
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: SSDAcuda] #1090514
10/10/11 07:52 PM
10/10/11 07:52 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

What Shawn really needs is a crew chief. A GOOD crew chief!

EXACTLY.....

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: 572_dup2] #1090515
10/10/11 08:00 PM
10/10/11 08:00 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
The reason I believe the wheelie bar won't be that effective is too high a center of gravity and to far back. Look at the profile of my Dart. 3020 lbs, had 50 / 50 weight distribution. Lower than your car by a bunch.
Torqueflite, big tires, 4.56 gears. Only 528 cubes. People kept telling me to put weight on the front and it would help, so I finally did. I moved so much weight the car went to 53 percent on the front. It settled right down, with the only requirement being I had to raise the launch rpm to hit the tires enough to get weight transfer.
Now instead of hitting the wheeliebars so hard it unloads the rear tires and spins, It carries the front out about fifty feet nicely in average air, and I am going to have to lower the wheeliebars and tie down the front a touch for great air.
My suggestion was/is to start TOO low with the wheelie bar, so if it doesn't go straight, you will have a much better chance of steering it out of trouble.
If you have the battery in back, put it up front if you can. You will be surprised how much that will help. Just rig up a shut off (solenoid?) that will still work from the rear for safety. Try and lower the car some, but it looks as if that will be hard to do.
You will probably still be too heavy out back, but it will allow the wheelie bars to work with less upset to the rear which causes spin. Keep coming back, guys want to help.

6865287-Dartpics103.jpg (123 downloads)

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: gregsdart] #1090516
10/10/11 08:21 PM
10/10/11 08:21 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The reason I believe the wheelie bar won't be that effective is too high a center of gravity and to far back. Look at the profile of my Dart. 3020 lbs, had 50 / 50 weight distribution. Lower than your car by a bunch.
Torqueflite, big tires, 4.56 gears. Only 528 cubes. People kept telling me to put weight on the front and it would help, so I finally did. I moved so much weight the car went to 53 percent on the front. It settled right down, with the only requirement being I had to raise the launch rpm to hit the tires enough to get weight transfer.
Now instead of hitting the wheeliebars so hard it unloads the rear tires and spins, It carries the front out about fifty feet nicely in average air, and I am going to have to lower the wheeliebars and tie down the front a touch for great air.
My suggestion was/is to start TOO low with the wheelie bar, so if it doesn't go straight, you will have a much better chance of steering it out of trouble.
If you have the battery in back, put it up front if you can. You will be surprised how much that will help. Just rig up a shut off (solenoid?) that will still work from the rear for safety. Try and lower the car some, but it looks as if that will be hard to do.
You will probably still be too heavy out back, but it will allow the wheelie bars to work with less upset to the rear which causes spin. Keep coming back, guys want to help.

Greg... one of his problems is that he wants to run
a single wheel bar and keep it on center so it looks
cool...plus its short...I like MOST run a dual wheelie
bar and the right wheel is about 3/4 of a inch lower...
but the wheelie bars are a safety item ..... JMO

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1090517
10/11/11 09:47 AM
10/11/11 09:47 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: HEMIFRED] #1090518
10/11/11 11:23 AM
10/11/11 11:23 AM
s.w.fl
B
bonefish Offline
master
bonefish  Offline
master
B

s.w.fl
looks like weve lost 572,thats too bad i really like his car and the work and results he has put into it.

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: bonefish] #1090519
10/11/11 11:38 AM
10/11/11 11:38 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

looks like weve lost 572,thats too bad i really like his car and the work and results he has put into it.

His feelings got hurt

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1090520
10/11/11 01:26 PM
10/11/11 01:26 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

His feelings got hurt

The truth hurts, but he needed it......

Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: Big Squeeze] #1090521
10/11/11 04:44 PM
10/11/11 04:44 PM
Salina ks
572_dup2 Offline OP
Back On The Bumper!!
572_dup2  Offline OP
Back On The Bumper!!

Salina ks
No my feelings didnt hurt. I didnt ask for any help or advise. I do things MY way an really dont care what anyone thinks! Not everyones car is the same, different cars call for different changes. I have done things that others said would work becouse it did for them, didnt work for me. My dad is my crew chief we been racing together for 35yrs. We learn stuff every time we go out an we are having FUN!!

The problem here is everyones an expert an everyone elses car. There is alot of GREAT advise here an everyone is very tallenated. You race your car your way an ill race mine my way!!

Shawn Jennings
Re: Hope this will help contol wheel stands [Re: 572_dup2] #1090522
10/11/11 04:58 PM
10/11/11 04:58 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

No my feelings didnt hurt. I didnt ask for any help or advise. I do things MY way an really dont care what anyone thinks! Not everyones car is the same, different cars call for different changes. I have done things that others said would work becouse it did for them, didnt work for me. My dad is my crew chief we been racing together for 35yrs. We learn stuff every time we go out an we are having FUN!!

The problem here is everyones an expert an everyone elses car. There is alot of GREAT advise here an everyone is very tallenated. You race your car your way an ill race mine my way!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4