09/24/11 02:10 PM
God's Country - Etowah, TN.
A34 Offline OP
top fuel
A34  Offline OP
top fuel

Hey guys,

Long story, short - I had an engine built a few years ago and it never ran right. Always seemed to be lacking power. On top of that, it smokes and leaks oil out the rear main. So, I decided to go back through it. It's not a race car, it's a street car that I beat the snot out of. I want it to have a factory stock appearance externally. I know I am limited in the power making arena by keeping it mostly stock. I do want it to run as good as it can given it's limitations. Please check out the combo I'm planning on using and the engine builders comments and let me know your thoughts. Anything I've missed, any potential problems, etc. Just want to double check my self here. Here's the specs:

69 Charger with 440, 4-spd, 3.54 Dana. 255/60/15 tire combo. It is iron headed
(906 with hardened seats) with stock exhaust and intake manifolds. Running h-pipe with repro hemi mufflers.

Pistons .020 KB hyperteutectic, cast high silicon piston. The deck is .014" uncut. The head is 86.8 cc with 5 cc in the piston. the valves are 1.810 exh and 2.140 int.

Head gasket - planning to use a thin one.

stock rocker arms (debating on using the crane ductile iron adjustable ones)

valve job - precision multiangle with hardened seats

Carter Thunder series AVS 800 cfm

Prestolite dual point, with pertronix kit. (distributor has been recurved by one of the pure stock racing guys)Will run about 38-40 degrees total timing.

Cam - Bob Karakashian pure stock racing grind. Not sure of the specs but it's supposed to be designed for this type of engine. I understand it makes a lot of cylinder pressure, but idles smooth. Not a rumpity rump cam.

VALVE Springs: SINGLE VALVE SPRING W/ DAMPER, 130# @ 1.830' INSTALLED 315# @ .550' LIFT

Here's what the engine builder wants to do:

If the deck hasn't been cut it really needs to be or there could be sealing issues later on. With the pistons being .014 below the deck I don't think that the deck has been cut because this sound normal with 2.06 CD pistons. This is what I would suggest, cut the deck to square the block and no more, us a thin head gasket. Machine another set of 906's which I have here, or later heads as I have a set of 452's also. Put in the larger Exhaust valve and retain the stock size Intake valve, gasket match the heads and let it be at that, because the cam that your using is too small for any port work other than gasket matching. Also too cutting the heads about .040 will help the compression out and make the engine run a good bit better. I would like to see the head CC's be around 76 or 78 cc's with a thin gasket besides. I would do a clean up cut on the intake manifold gasket surface to make sure that it is flat and surface the intake side of the heads to match the head decking. This will make everything fit very nicely.

The engine builder thinks my 2.14 intake valve in my head is too big for the build, and it needs a 2.08. Other people have said it'll be fine. The heads are new, so I'm leaning toward keeping them as they are. So, what do you guys think? Will this combo haul the mail? I guess I'll have to mix with race gas, which I don't mind as I don't drive it daily. Just weekends in the summer.

Thanks fellas !

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE
Re: Engine builders, need some advice on my combo. [Re: A34] #1081471
09/24/11 02:18 PM
09/24/11 02:18 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I think you will end up with TO MUCH compression with this combination for pump gas Do the math and see what ratio you will end up with If it is above 10.0 to 1 do something else on the pistons, I'm assuming the pistons your planning on using are flat tops, if not say so and state what CC the piston tops are

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Engine builders, need some advice on my combo. [Re: Cab_Burge] #1081472
09/24/11 02:41 PM
09/24/11 02:41 PM
A34 Offline OP
top fuel
A34  Offline OP
top fuel

Quote:

I think you will end up with TO MUCH compression with this combination for pump gas Do the math and see what ratio you will end up with If it is above 10.0 to 1 do something else on the pistons, I'm assuming the pistons your planning on using are flat tops, if not say so and state what CC the piston tops are

Yes, they are flat top stock replacement pistons. I'll double check and if it winds up with too much compression, then I guess I can go with a thicker head gasket.

Last edited by A34; 09/24/11 02:42 PM.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE
Re: Engine builders, need some advice on my combo. [Re: A34] #1081473
09/24/11 02:43 PM
09/24/11 02:43 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, they are flat top stock replacement pistons. I'll double check and if it winds up with too much compression, then I guess I can go with a thicker head gasket.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)