Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Boone flipped open his 9 year old samsung, and called his big brother, "Dave, what's goin' on"?
"Not much, we're at the track, but they sound pretty set on waiting until 3:30 to fire this thing up", Dave commented. "Where are you guys"?
"About 5 minutes out"
"Cool, guess stop by here first, and you can get the key to the motel if you wanna clean up".
"Alright by me". Boone hung up. "We'll go by the track, maybe unload a couple of things, and grab Dave's motel key".
"What else do we need to take care of in town"? Dale asked
"We need to do something with those slicks for sure".
"Yeah, we'll drop them off at a shop, and see if they can knock them out real quick".
They rolled into the track, found the pit spot, and unloaded some of the heavy stuff. It seemed most of the crowd was there, but everyone was just milling around, all relaxed...it was almost a surreal atmosphere compared to the rest of the week up to this point.
No matter, they still had work to do, Darren, GF, and kids went off to the motel in the Satellite. Dale and him searched for a tire shop, found one, and dropped off the slicks.
"We need these back quick", Dale told the guy
"Well, I can't promise anything".
"Just figure out where they are leaking", Dale countered, "I'm sure I can fix it myself If I know what's going on".
"What the heck was that"? Boone asked when they jumped back in the car, "We don't need you jacking with them at the track".
"We're out of time, Boone"!
They showered, and changed at the motel. Darren and his entourage headed for the track. Back at the tire shop, they picked up a set of slicks with yellow circles aound all the missing tire screws, which were all of them. They had been assured the stems were good, no leaks in the tread, just the holes in the rims/tires. The first O'reilly's had one package of 4, next was a harware store that had something that "might" work. The 2nd O'reilly's had 2 packages with the same part number as the first store, but both packages had different screws, from each other, and the first package! They jumped in the Belvedere and hit the key, it turned over but made no attempt to fire until Boone let off the key. 2nd attempt yeilded the same result.
"Wonder if we burned up the ballast resistor", Dale surmised.
"Possibly", Boone agreed, "Do we have anything to cross it over"?
Dale diappeared under the hood, "Try it now"!
It fired, "What did you do"?
"Just wiggled the ballast wires", Dale smiled, "Whew! let's get to the track"!

6885259-230.JPG (139 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079020
10/23/11 11:23 PM
10/23/11 11:23 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
The brothers rolled through the gate about the time people started to head for the lanes. Darren had already started putting the slicks on the Satellite. I had dropped the exhaust off the Valiant for the first time, and lowered the tires to 20 lbs., ready for the call. I headed up immediately to the lanes, planning to get multiple runs to hopefully improve on my 11.68. Dale joined me in the lanes about 15 minutes later.
"That thing ready"? he asked
"Yeah, just like to get an 11.67 or better, so I can say I improved every day".
"If I can get a 12.60 something, I'm done...may put the street tires back on it and see what it'll run on those".
I worked my way through the lanes and ended up paired with the convertible Chevy II that had outrun Boone in Tulsa. I launched at full throttle from about 3200, and it rattled for a bit and then hooked, I shifted to 2nd at 6400, and could feel it already begin to wobble, hitting the nitrous only made it worse, the shift to 3rd made it unbearable, so I let off the bottle, and then lifted to about half-throttle. The new, shorter shocks meant it never bottomed out so the oscillation just continued to get worse. 11.71 at only 108 was what I ended up with for my trouble. I didn't see the Chevy II 'till he pulled by me about 200' past the finish line, so he must've waited at the tree for a second or two.
When I returned to the pits, Boone was livid. He was sitting there with the slicks on, and the air pump running full blast on one side. "It's leaking as fast as the air is going in... I knew those darn screws weren't going to fix it, Dale is a moron, and now he's up in the lanes without a prayer of making the quick 32, and here I sit unable to run", he was pacing like a caged animal.
"Boone, pull those slicks off, and put Dale's on as soon as he gets back".
"He's probably going up again, I doubt he even stops".
"No... look, he told me up there, one hit, and he's gonna go back on street tires, just get ready".
"Ok, ok, how far back from you was he".
"About 6 or 7 sets, he should be here pretty quick".
I was about to head up for another run when a Camaro owner came over nearly out of breath, "Heard you had a generator and an angle grinder"?
"Yep, sure do, help yourself".
"Was changing to my slicks, for the last time this week, and one of the studs is turning, so I have to cut the lugnut off"!
I heard the announcer call out a 12.68-106 for Dale as I headed back into the lanes.
Caution, the pic below is not for the squemish...this is Boone after 36 hours with no bed, and a hard week on the road!!

6885576-201.JPG (183 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079021
10/24/11 01:56 AM
10/24/11 01:56 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Thought about talking to him but saw that face Friday and thought better of it.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079022
10/26/11 12:19 AM
10/26/11 12:19 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
It had been overcast all day, but now it was starting to get a little darker, so right before I pulled into the water, I turned my park lights on. It was effective, camera guys love stuff like that, and I had several lenses turned my way in the burnout.
My plan was to short shift, so as not to upset the car, just try to be really smooth. It seemed that hard hits to the tire sent it into the wobble problem sooner. The launch was decent, I shifted at 5600, and hit the N20 at the same time, but managed to skip right to 3rd. I was so disgusted, I just let off the nitrous and rode it through 12.19-113.4, best mph of the entire week on a wasted run. I drove right past the pits and back to the lanes, Dale pulled up a few cars behind me.
The loud speaker crackled, "we need all Daily Driver slips turned in by 5:30, so we can set the field for the 32 car bracket race".
"Crap Dale, where is Boone"?
"He should be near the head of the lanes by now, but it's gonna be close, it's 5:12 right now, and they've stopped running cars for some reason".
We grabbed our slips and headed up the lanes toward the tower. We found Boone and the Belvedere about 4 sets back from the tower, he and the Nova he was paired with had moved towards the center of the lane. Boone had his passenger's side door open, and was standing in the opening, giving the stink-eye to a couple of fast cars that were trying to sneak up through the middle....oh boy, here we go again!

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079023
10/26/11 01:47 AM
10/26/11 01:47 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
'We've got a little rain at the top-end, so we're just going to try and wait this out a few minutes", the voice came out on the loud speakers again.
"I've raced Nationals and Divisionals here before", Dale commented, "Once this stuff sets in, we are done, so much moisture just hanging in the air, and it's getting cooler".
"Those guys already got one shot," Boone motioned towards the white Chevy II wagon, "I heard them talking about being too agressive and standing it up, or something. No way they are driving around me"!
"We get that, Boone, just relax. Dale and I are going up to turn in our slips, try not to start a fight before we get back"!
We made our way into the tower, showed them our final checkpoint picture and handed Tonya Turk our timeslips. She gave us back our Official Time Slip for day 5 as well as our Official Final Average.
"That was a bunch of work for 6 peices of paper", Dale beamed.
"Yep, 12.52-106.9, sure wasn't what I was hoping for, but we made it"!

6888954-Prom10006.JPG (214 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079024
11/01/11 10:55 PM
11/01/11 10:55 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Is this the end? Are the brothers on speaking terms? Already planning for next year?

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: furious70] #1079025
11/02/11 01:09 AM
11/02/11 01:09 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Ah, no...it's not the end, just taking a break, waiting to see if anyone was even still paying attention. Today is my birthday, Darren called, wished me a happy a birthday, and told me his lawyer would be in touch, "Libel", or "Defamation of Character"...something like that!! I told him to hang on, I wasn't done dragging him through the mud just yet!! Boone is mad at me for not finishing it. Dale is in the midst of a four car trade/ parts swap/ labor for more parts deal that might take 4 months to get staightened out!!

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079026
11/02/11 01:12 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Does your dad still race once in awile Billy? Those Tucson races were definately the "good ole days".

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079027
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
Haha, We're paying attention still. Figured you might have been a little burned out on typing it all out.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: Triple Threat] #1079028
11/02/11 10:00 AM
11/02/11 10:00 AM
Marcell, MN
68 Roadrunner Offline
68 Roadrunner  Offline

Marcell, MN
Patiently waiting...... Lol

1968 Roadrunner 383 auto .060 KB 400 domed pistons, Stealth heads, Torker intake, Holley 830, Lunati Voodoo cam 276/284, .513/.533, TCI 3500, 3.91 gears, all ARP fasteners,
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079029
11/02/11 10:04 AM
11/02/11 10:04 AM
Texas
6packattk Offline
mopar
6packattk  Offline
mopar

Texas
Happy Birthday Billy,have a good one too...

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: 6packattk] #1079030
11/02/11 10:09 AM
11/02/11 10:09 AM
bigfork mn
D
dragram440 Offline
super stock
dragram440  Offline
super stock
D

bigfork mn
Waiting

67' charger 499 RB 10.57 at 127
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079031
11/02/11 11:39 PM
11/02/11 11:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Dale and I walked back down to talk and hang with Boone. We'd been there a few minutes when they announced, "We are going to let you guys go back to the pits, and call you back up later if you want".
A few cars pulled out, and Boone moved closer to the line, still warily eying the Nova Wagon. Doc Fox came up and started talking to Rick in the Wagon, and made the mistake of saying, "Well, if all these Daily Drivers weren't up here hotlapping you probably would have got another hit..".
That set Boone off, "I worked on this all night to get here and try to qualify for the 32 car field, I haven't made a run yet, and I don't plan on wasting my first one like he did"!!!
Doc Fox looked stunned, Rick and his buddy looked liked it may get difficult for them to control thier emotions. I was glad for the fifty or so feet between the two groups.
"Sorry man, didn't realize anyone hadn't got a run yet", Doc replied.
"Yeah, it's been a long day, he's up on the edge, just wished they'd started a little earlier", I commented, and it seemed the situation was diffused.
Finally, they announced that all cars with a run could go back to the pits, they were just going to try and get a run for those who didn't have one, and then go directly into the 32 car Daily Driver bracket race.
We waited a while longer, but it was becoming increasingly clear that nothing was going to happen, the moisture was getting worse, darkness was closing in, and the temp was dropping quick.
The loud speaker finally crackled to life again, "Guys, we are not going to be able to get this in, so we have decided to call the event, and determine the winners off the first four days. Since not everyone got a run, we don't feel it would be fair to take anything from today. Impound is open, you can go get your trailers, and we will start the awards presentation in about an hour".
"This is stupid", I regaled "They should have used the results from today, and the five or six guys that didn't get a run should be DQ'ed as non-finishers"!!
"I agree", Dale added "THAT would be fair, they should have ran already"!
"Hey", Boone looked at us both with a wry smile, "You guys are JERKS"!!!

6901057-134.JPG (151 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079032
11/03/11 12:41 AM
11/03/11 12:41 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I made my way back to the lanes, where the Valiant sat all alone. Earlier I had accidently left the fans on for well over 30 minutes, so I had doubts it would start. It did, but just barely, and I idled back to the pits. By the time I returned from getting the truck and trailer, everyone except Dad had went up to the pavillion for the awards ceremony.
"Somebody has to stay here and keep an eye on the stuff". He concluded.
"Well we should probably start loading some of this up, it's really starting to come down".
We gathered up a few things that obviously didn't need to get wet, but we weren't making any huge progress. He convinced me to go up and watch the awards, and he would wait.
The finale under the pavillion was pretty cool, but just felt anti-climatic. Plenty of emotion non-the-less, the sponsors of this deal are intimately involved, much more than just writing a check, so they make it special.
On the first day DF had announced there were 9 cars in Modified Power Adder, and 5 cars in Modified N/A. Dale and Boone had both tried to get me to switch to N/A and forget about the N20, but I refused.
"The first place plaque in Modified Power Adder goes to Gary Satterlee, and his Fox Body", DF announced, "He won the battle of attrition since he was the only finisher in that class"!
"You idiot", Dale scolded, "You had a second place plaque if only you would have forgot about the nitrous and changed classes"!
"Yep", Boone agreed, "You left one just sitting up there".
"That's OK guys", I looked around the Pavillion, surrounded by my brothers, family, and a whole group of like minded individuals who had just went through the same wringer we had, "I got everything I came here for...and more"!!

6901162-208.JPG (147 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079033
11/03/11 01:36 AM
11/03/11 01:36 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We sat around the pavillions for a little bit after the Awards, and signed banners, talked with people, said our goodbyes, then shuffled out to our pit spot again. The adrenaline and excitement, the drive to see it through were all well and truly gone.
Dale started loading everything back in the Satellite's trunk.
"Man, don't do that", I pleaded.
"Why not, I've got a system now, might as well just put it all back in".
"Darn near your entire car hangs over the back axles of my trailer, and now you want to put all that weight out as far back as possible. We need to load all this heavy stuff into the bed of the 1 ton".
"Ok, fine, whatever. You get in the truck, and I'll hand it to you".
We packed the truck. Darren walked over with his arm around Yoko, "I ordered Pizza. The room I got at the Motel is a family room with table and chairs, a couch, so we can all eat there".
That was pefect, the cheapskate had bought one tank of gas in the Valiant, had no intention of ever paying me back for his share of the motel rooms Monday through Thursday, but now that he had a chick along, he's Mr. Big Spender!!
With everything loaded up, we moved to the cars...sure enough, the Valiant refused to start without a jump, then I nearly drove off the trailer twice despite having 3 "guides" yelling at me, I was just about worthless at that time. Dale loaded the Satellite without a problem, and we finally got the whole mess tied down and ready for the return trip.
When we made it to the motel, and there was only one spot, out front, on a curved curb, where I could fit the 50+ foot rig. With the glare from the Motel lights, the street, and all the rain I was virtually blind. Dad, Boone, and Dale were trying to help me, but it was slow going, because they kept moving out of my vision, and I would just stop. I was more worried about hitting something, or running one of them over, than getting parked. Dad quickly bailed, then Boone ran Dale off. "How can you take directions from him", Boone reasoned, "he's the only one in the family that doesn't have a CDL"!!
Onced parked, I grabbed my bag, went to my room, changed into some shorts, and dove under the covers. I didn't want Pizza, company, nothing, just sleep...awesome, beautifull sleep!!

6901238-160.JPG (164 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1079034
11/03/11 01:16 PM
11/03/11 01:16 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
I made the week which was a win.One somewhat hard run on Friday and wanted to really get after it.Then the rain came and I was the 4th pair back when it was called. Had a blast and wish we could have chatted more.Cya next year Billy.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: ksj] #1079035
11/03/11 02:23 PM
11/03/11 02:23 PM
robin hood country
deaks Offline
master
deaks  Offline
master

robin hood country
Well done guys, great story and well done to you as well KSJ.
Mick

69 Dart GTS 440 mopar .590 cam, Edelbrock heads, 3200#
best et 6.45, 106.78, 10.14, 132.88 mph, 1.47 60ft
best 60ft 1.36
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: deaks] #1079036
11/03/11 04:30 PM
11/03/11 04:30 PM
Tulsa, Ok
WadeMetzinger Offline
top fuel
WadeMetzinger  Offline
top fuel

Tulsa, Ok
Thanks for the story Billy, it's almost enough to make me not wish I could have gone with you guys... (I was going to take Abbey's and Dad was going to go too until Abbey turned up pregnant..) next time we'll go with you guys, if there is a next time....

Wade Metzinger 918-809-0987
71 Cuda 9.28@145 -1s, Pglide
68 Cuda 10.64@124 1.45 60's 318->390 eddys
Moparts discount code on WIX - moparts www.Filter1.com
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: WadeMetzinger] #1079037
11/03/11 05:13 PM
11/03/11 05:13 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
The next 2-3 years will be in the KS,MO,OK,TX area is what was said at the banquet.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: ksj] #1079038
11/03/11 06:57 PM
11/03/11 06:57 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
It needs to come out WEST and have Vegas be involved..

Chris..

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11