Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I pulled into the pits beside Boone. He had the hood up, and a sour look on his face. "11.68, I believe that makes me the quickest brother on DragWeek"!
"I was on an 11.50 before this head gasket let go", he retorted.
"Where'd you pop it"?
"'Bout 1100 feet".
"No, where on the motor"?
"Back cylinder on the passenger's side, it's puffing out against the firewall. Called Dale, he said we'd just change it here".
"Heck no, just drive it to Dale's house, I don't want to change it in front of all these prying eyes".
"What about screwing up the surfaces"?
"Fire it up".
He did, it was squirting a white water/oil mixture on the firewall in about a 3 inch span. "Naw, you ain't gonna hurt nothin', you took enough of it out that you don't have to worry about that"!
"Well, OK..Let's go turn in our time slips".
We walked to the tower, up to the second floor, showed them our checkpoint pics and handed in our timeslips. When Boone handed his to Tonya, she turned and looked him the eye, "You got a little animated down there in the lanes, didn't you"? Through his sunburned and windburned face no-one else in the tower probably noticed, but I saw him redden and wince, "Yeah, yes I did, I probably overreacted a bit". She handed him his official slip, and he couldn't get out of that tower fast enough.

6864248-119.JPG (109 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078980
10/10/11 06:16 AM
10/10/11 06:16 AM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline
mopar addict
T

Texas
Very cool, thanks for posting! Any time ya'll make it back through Amarillo give us a heads-up and we'll get some cars out to welcome you. We all enjoyed having Drag Week come thru town and getting to meet the Mopar racers on hand; it made a lot of folks very happy with loads of nostalgia

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars & Lone Star Mopars Amarillo Area Mopars Lone Star Mopars Chryslers in the Canyon: All Mopar Event!
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: TexasStroker] #1078981
10/10/11 09:49 AM
10/10/11 09:49 AM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

"LIFT DAVE, LIFT"!

He wasn't the only one yelling! lol

That run was scary looking.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: BBR] #1078982
10/10/11 10:29 AM
10/10/11 10:29 AM
Canada north shore lake Ontari...
ross Offline
ross  Offline

Canada north shore lake Ontari...
Billy this is great. I don't very often log on but in this case I had to get on here and tell you how much I am enjoying your tale. Every time I read an instalment it is good for about 2 hours of daydreaming. As I was dreaming and thinking of past drag weeks I was wondering what happened to your pickup from 06. You were running in the 11s with it. Take your time and keep the stories coming...Red Light Ross....

Ksj I know what you mean. I was sitting behind you in the lanes watchinng the same thing, thinking somethings wrong here lol...

BBR It was nice meeting you and Casey. Why don't you come all the way out of the closet, ditch the ford and get some Mopar muscle. If you don't it's ok, I have lots of disadvantaged friends. Ross

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: ross] #1078983
10/10/11 09:09 PM
10/10/11 09:09 PM
bigfork mn
D
dragram440 Offline
super stock
dragram440  Offline
super stock
D

bigfork mn
cant wait to read more!

67' charger 499 RB 10.57 at 127
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: dragram440] #1078984
10/10/11 10:11 PM
10/10/11 10:11 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Boone needs to send Tonya flowers. LOL. If it would have been Keith in the tower Id be sending flowers to Boones survivors.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078985
10/11/11 02:27 AM
10/11/11 02:27 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Dale's second pass sounded weird, and only netted a 13.35-101. He pulled back in.
"Missed second, overtached it and had to lift", he said. The shifter in the Satellite is factory in the floor with console, but it was originally a four speed car, and the automatic shifter is pretty loose.
"Where's Boone"?
"I sent him to your house, so he is limping it over there".
"He didn't load all the stuff he normally carries, my car is going to be stacked to the roof"!
"Well", I laughed, "It's only 7 miles"!
"Fine, you have to load it".
He headed off for another pass. Mom and Dad had left, Darren and Yoko were making a parts run. I loaded up my stuff, and then took a walk through the pits. I spotted a black 4th gen Camaro with Canadian plates. They had the back up on jackstands, and were just pulling the 3rd member out of the nine inch. They rolled it out on the ground and a crowd peered at the 6 or 7 missing ring gear teeth.
"Small pinion"? I asked.
"Yeah, we've got gears coming from Lester Gears here in town, we just need to get them set up".
Dale had just set mine up before we left, as I had switched from 4.30's to 3.89's, and I had ordered extra bearings just in case.
"I'm calling my buddies shop right now, they should be able to fix you up", said another bystander. I decided not to volunteer until I talked to Dale, it sounded like they may have it under control.
It was getting late, and people were clearing out, but with Day 5 at Topeka scheduled for the afternoon, the sense of urgency wasn't as pronounced as the days before.
Dale's 3rd pass was solid, and he was happy with the numbers 12.67-107.15. By this time he had resigned himself to the fact that he wasn't going to make the quick 32, the last couple of qualifying sheets had him steady at 38-40, otherwise I know he would have jetted up the spray and went for 12.4's.
"Well, I don't think 6 or 7 Daily Drivers faster than me are gonna go out before Topeka, so there's no use beating on it at this point". Dale lamented as we packed up.
"There's one", I added, pointing to the pretty Factory 5 33 Ford with the big "Drag Week 2011" sticker on the door.
"What happened to him"? Dale asked. "Figured that would be one of the last cars to have trouble".
"Broke something".
The BangShift.com truck had went and picked up a U-haul trailer to help the guy out, and they were getting ready to load the little coupe up. I've been pulling my racecars and hotrods for 25 years on open trailers, and the first thing you learn is long ramps, especially if the car sits low. U-haul trailers have notoriously short ramps, Factory 5 cars sit rediculously low. It was one of those moments you know something bad is going to happen, and you simply can't react fast enough to do anything about it, especially when 6 burly guys think they need a running start to load a 2500 lb. car.
It hit the trailer at good speed until the edge of the trailer slammed into the bottom of the body about 8 inches back of the leading edge of the doors, it had enough velocity and grunt behind it to slide another 6-8 inches up the trailer lifting the front wheels completely into the air.
Just a very unfortunate situation, that we have probably all been in involved in at one time or another, where well-meaning helpers get overzealous and stuff gets tore up, but I felt sick for the owner, broke car, not going to finish Drag Week, and now some body work and paint was going to figure into the week's expenses.

6865920-118.JPG (113 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078986
10/11/11 10:17 AM
10/11/11 10:17 AM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
That guy was already in a bad mood about getting his paint all chipped up on the Great Bend to Amarillo drive. He was unnn-happy to say the least.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078987
10/11/11 11:06 PM
10/11/11 11:06 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
When Dale and I headed out the gate of Tulsa Raceway Park, I had no idea it would likely be for the last time. As kids we made the trek down for the AHRA Spring Nationals every year until I moved to AZ in '87. The first passes I made in a real racecar were at that track in '92.
It was well into the afternoon when we pulled into Dale's driveway, the Belvedere was in front of the garage on the right side, and I backed the Valiant up on the left side so we could decide what to do with the shocks. Mom and Dad were there, Darren and his GF, Cody, Boone already had the intake off. It had a family outing atmosphere more than a down and dirty wrenching session, I could tell progress wasn't going to be quick or easy.

6867185-166.JPG (105 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078988
10/11/11 11:52 PM
10/11/11 11:52 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
The Rancho shocks were definitely shorter...and fatter, and have no shield, all things that matter when you are using a coil-over kit designed around a standard shock. We decided to pull the Strange double adjustables off Dale's racecar. That didn't work. I mentioned that possibly Dad and I should just jump in the Valiant and head to Topeka, taking it slow and easy, and leaving the rest of them there to fend for themsevles.
This came at about the same time Dale announced he had to go pick up his kids (a 70 mile round trip) because they were coming along to Topeka as well.
Add one Dad, one GF, 2 kids...first off that's 750 lbs. we haven't accounted for, and 2nd, WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR 4 BROTHERS ADVENTURE!! I was torqued off to say the least, I felt like crap, and I had zero patience for any of them!!
Dale walked out with a plate of hot wings, and I realized I hadn't ate anything since Pizza Hut the night before, amazing how cooked meat can help your attitude immensely.

6867273-104.JPG (104 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078989
10/12/11 12:00 AM
10/12/11 12:00 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
DragWeek food.As long as it makes a tird all is good.LOL

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078990
10/12/11 01:01 AM
10/12/11 01:01 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I was under the Valiant pulling off the shock kits, when I heard Dale say "Now Boone, explain to me what happened on that run...you were down almost 20 mph".
"It launched, I grabbed the juice, it pulled strong through the gears, and it laid over when I hit drive...about a 1000 ft. or so, then it started popping at about 1100-1200", Boone relayed.
"When did you lift"?
"I didn't"!
"When did you let off of the bottle"?
"Uh, at the finish line...".
"Good grief"! Dale guffawed. "What were you trying to prove"?
"I was still mad"! Boone reasoned, "The idiot pulling those fast cars around me, slick wouldn't stay up, rainy weather, I wanted a good run"!
"And you got a popped head gasket"! I couldn't help myself.

Boone had bought the Belvedere turnkey, but we had changed the pan, so we knew it had studded mains, and TRW pistons. It had head studs as well, and when the head came clear it revealed flat-tops as expected. The blown 8519 was not expected, who goes to the trouble of putting in studs, and runs the cheap gasket?
"Guess I should've bought 2", Darren surmised looking at the replacement 1009.
The headers had thin flanges, and were prone to leaks, Boone had found an identical pair with thicker flanges, and had previously replaced the driver's side. He decided this was as good a time as any to replace the passenger's side.
"If I were going to a thicker flange, I'd run stock head bolts under the ports, I never had any luck clearing head studs", I warned him.
"I'll just grind down the stud, that worked on the other side", He decided.

Dale and I decided to cut the shock kit brackets to fit the rancho shocks...no turning back now. He mowed off the curved lip that fit against the shock, and started burring it to fit the Rancho.
"Finish this one, then do the other 3, I've got to go get the kids". He jumped in the Satellite and took off, yeah it really IS his daily driver.

6867409-128.JPG (94 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078991
10/12/11 01:53 AM
10/12/11 01:53 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
The header didn't fit, they chased up some stock head bolts, AFTER grinding on the studs. Tick, tick, tick, it was getting late, we were all tired, and cranky.
I was on the fourth bracket, trying to size it up. Darren was on one fender, Boone the other, Pops watching. They were installing the intake when I heard Boone's voice raise, "I said WHAT THE HECK DID YOU SET THAT TORQUE WRENCH TO"!
"20, you B, why are you yelling at me"!
"I'm tired of you ignoring me".
"I didn't hear you, you're not gonna talk to me like I'm a POS, you POS"!
"I'll Kick Your Butt Right Now"
They were between the cars shoving each other, Darren grabbed Boone and shoved him into the Valiant (still on jack stands) "Get the heck away from my car", it was about to become a threesome.
Boone dragged Darren around the front of the Belvedere, as he did Darren let loose with an overhand right to the side of Boone's head, as he went down, he took Darren with him flipping him over the top. The dust roiled as they went after each other in the dirt.
"STOP IT RIGHT NOW", Dad was yelling, "Someone take me home right now, this happens everytime I'm around you guys.
I get to see my Dad 3 or 4 times a year, and these morons find a way to screw it up. They stopped, but no-one volunteered to take Dad home, he grabbed his bag and started walking down the street. Darren went in the house, and Boone, breathing heavily and bleeding from the side of his head, started working on the belvedere.
Darren came out later, jumped in his GF's car, and went looking for Dad.
Dale came back with his kids, "Where is everybody"?
I told him the story. "What the heck, I leave for an hour and a half, and you can't keep things under control"?
We assembled the shock kits and crawled under the Valiant to install them. I nearly had mine in when he informed me, "pull that top bolt out, it's the only short bolt, it goes on this side".
"No way, I've already got it in".
"GIVE ME THAT BOLT".
"YOU WANNA FIGHT"!
"Nope, I'm too darn tired...".
We looked at each other, laying under a car on the driveway at midnight, and started laughing histerically.

6867453-126.JPG (95 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078992
10/12/11 09:56 AM
10/12/11 09:56 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Thats funny Billy about your brothers going at it...
my brothers(and me) use to do the same thing for years
but I believe we finally got over it.... good read
so far.... that GTS looks like my buddy from Mich here...
he was pretty UN-happy with it this year after putting
in alot of cash to make it quicker .... it went slower

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078993
10/12/11 01:40 PM
10/12/11 01:40 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

The header didn't fit, they chased up some stock head bolts, AFTER grinding on the studs. Tick, tick, tick, it was getting late, we were all tired, and cranky.
I was on the fourth bracket, trying to size it up. Darren was on one fender, Boone the other, Pops watching. They were installing the intake when I heard Boone's voice raise, "I said WHAT THE HECK DID YOU SET THAT TORQUE WRENCH TO"!
"20, you B, why are you yelling at me"!
"I'm tired of you ignoring me".
"I didn't hear you, you're not gonna talk to me like I'm a POS, you POS"!
"I'll Kick Your Butt Right Now"
They were between the cars shoving each other, Darren grabbed Boone and shoved him into the Valiant (still on jack stands) "Get the heck away from my car", it was about to become a threesome.
Boone dragged Darren around the front of the Belvedere, as he did Darren let loose with an overhand right to the side of Boone's head, as he went down, he took Darren with him flipping him over the top. The dust roiled as they went after each other in the dirt.
"STOP IT RIGHT NOW", Dad was yelling, "Someone take me home right now, this happens everytime I'm around you guys.
I get to see my Dad 3 or 4 times a year, and these morons find a way to screw it up. They stopped, but no-one volunteered to take Dad home, he grabbed his bag and started walking down the street. Darren went in the house, and Boone, breathing heavily and bleeding from the side of his head, started working on the belvedere.
Darren came out later, jumped in his GF's car, and went looking for Dad.
Dale came back with his kids, "Where is everybody"?
I told him the story. "What the heck, I leave for an hour and a half, and you can't keep things under control"?
We assembled the shock kits and crawled under the Valiant to install them. I nearly had mine in when he informed me, "pull that top bolt out, it's the only short bolt, it goes on this side".
"No way, I've already got it in".
"GIVE ME THAT BOLT".
"YOU WANNA FIGHT"!
"Nope, I'm too darn tired...".
We looked at each other, laying under a car on the driveway at midnight, and started laughing histerically.

That right there is really funny and makes me think my family being isn't so different than others..LOL Super read and an amazing adventure.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078994
10/13/11 07:31 AM
10/13/11 07:31 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Dad and I pulled out of Dale's driveway around 1am, drove down to the Quick Trip on Highway 20, and fueled up. By the time we arrived at the first and only checkpoint 20 miles later at Oolagah, the 24 oz. coffee was gone, and I was digging for my fire jacket. Unlike our other drives, it was very cool at this point, we headed on up 169 north with the windows rolled up, and the temp guage hovering at 175.
The fenderwell exit headers are 30 years old, and have been repaired many times. The engine is solid mounted, the exhaust has a single solid stud mount right near the turn-outs. 1000 miles of bad roads and a bottoming out suspension were beginning to take their toll. It didn't sound like we had a header leak, but we were getting a little carbon monoxide inside the car, so I was forced to open a window wing and freshen things up every 30 or so miles.
It would have been a straight up grind at this point, but Dad and I had plenty to talk about, so that kept me going and engaged. Chanute Ks. put us 109 miles down the road, so we pulled in for gas, another large coffee, and a large bag of Chocolate covered something. An hour later we hit Garnett Ks., and jumped off 169 north onto 31 north, which was a very narrow 2 lane, with switcbacks and 90 degree turns, with picturesque farmhouses and barns right next to the road. I'm sure it would be an enjoyable drive had it not been 4am, and I was completely gone, as it was, it was sheer terror for Dad! We've driven OTR trucks together, so he knows when I'm at the end of my rope, he was trying to modulate his voice, but it wasn't working, the front tire had dipped off the pavement more than once, and I was running about 45. I pulled off on a dirt road, did a semi-circle, and parked the Valiant on the right shoulder, almost back on the highway, and shut it off. I left all the lights on in case someone approached on either road, and we jumped out and stretched.
"I'm done Dad'.
"You're telling me"!
We walked around the front of the car to switch places, and the passenger's headlight went out.
"What the..." Dad started
It came back on!
"Nothing Dad, the ole girl was just winking at us"!

6869109-DragWeek054.jpg (102 downloads)

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078995
10/13/11 08:20 PM
10/13/11 08:20 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Billy you always tell good story.

I am REALLY jealous of your family adventure. Sounds like a great trip.
A little fight between brothers, who hasn't done that? At least all of you were't rolling around the floor and knock your car off the stands, etc.
Keep iy going, and please do drag week next year
Don

6870012-104_3559.JPG (73 downloads)
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: cudadon] #1078996
10/15/11 01:43 PM
10/15/11 01:43 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
cudabin Offline
super stock
cudabin  Offline
super stock

Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey Billy,

Don't stop now, I need to hear the next installment...

Cheers,

Arnie

67 Cuda 8.48@ 158.7 mph 1.18 60' 2,600 DA(so far...) 70 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 4-speed. 13.2 @ 104 Stock exhaust/Street tires.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: cudabin] #1078997
10/17/11 07:27 AM
10/17/11 07:27 AM
IL
D
Dart451 Offline
mopar
Dart451  Offline
mopar
D

IL

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience [Re: MoparBilly] #1078998