09/28/11 06:31 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Once I get a rotor and caliper, I can hook up the caliper, bleed it, put it where I want it, have someone hold the brake pedal to center it and meake my templates. something to that effect.

Put a rotor on a hub and hold it down tight with an old open lug nut. Make sure there's no excessive runout when you turn the hub. Then, lock it down so it doesn't spin. If it's a drilled rotor you can wire it to the lower control arm. Whatever method you use, it must prevent the rotor from spinning while you play with the caliper.
Once that's done, drop the caliper with pads over the rotor where you want it to be. A pair of vise grips clamped to the rotor (using cardboard under the jaws to prevent damage) will keep the caliper from sliding off the rotor. I used small needle nose vise grip pliers to grab a cooling fin from the edge of the rotor and let the caliper hang off of it. You can then put shims between the brake pads and rotor to center the caliper. Be sure to space the caliper so the pads are at the right depth and the rotor doesn't touch the caliper.
When everything is locked down tight you need to turn the steering wheel back and forth to check for clearance. Adjust the caliper position accordingly.
If there are no conflicts you need to bottom out the suspension and turn the steering wheel again. Adjust position as needed.
Next, fully compress the suspension and check for clearance again.
After you have the "perfect" position figured out run through the suspension and steering movement one last time to guarantee a collision-free position.
Be sure to mark the position of the caliper on the rotor with a Sharpie or other fine marking device. Permanent marker ink will wear off the rotor. If you like you can stick masking tape on the rotor to draw the outline of the caliper.

Finally, with the caliper in it's best position you need to crawl under the truck and start making measurements to determine the best mount to place the caliper where you want it to be.

Only then can you pull the caliper off the rotor, marking the shims and pads used to position it. That will enable you to reset the stack should the first mount not work out.

When I did my brakes the calipers only fit in one position and I had less than 1/2" of up/down adjustment available.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: feets] #1076536
09/28/11 08:21 PM
09/28/11 08:21 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA

Sounds kinda complicated....mine just sort of fell into place.

Then made the little adjustable aluminum template for the bracket to get the angles for it right and went to it.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076537
09/28/11 08:24 PM
09/28/11 08:24 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

HAHA!!!!!

Ok, I got tires mounted to my front wheels and threw them on the mighty (albeit mostly apart) POS Dakota....

I have about three inches all around my 11.3 inch rotors in there now.
from the edge of my clumsy iron single piston caliper, I have what I am going to limit to 1.25 inches for safety. I have some room to work with. I will need a caliper that doesnt stick too far past the end of the rotor and I will clear the wheel with a 13 inch rotor. Definitely a 12 inch rotor from a later model dakota. If I did go with the 12 inch rotor, I think any 4 piston caliper coupled with that would be a lot more stopping power. I'm digging the look though...

If you are going to go through the effort, would be cool to get the little 13" rotors in, just have to watch the rotor height I suppose (so the caliper does not get near the spoke of the wheel)

Once you have the caliper in hand you can figure out for sure how far out you can space it, then just find a rotor to fill in the space.

Guess the 6 lug thing does limit you some but hopefully with the ones you have to choose from, one of them will suit.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076538
09/28/11 08:57 PM
09/28/11 08:57 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
My choices are what I have now (bah!)

11.3 inch diameter
2.52 inch height
.950 thickness
2.89 hub register
Weight: 15 lbs

Upgrades:

03 dakota
12.12 inch diameter
2.47 inch height
1.02 inch thicknes
2.89 register
19.5 lbs

01 viper
13 inch diameter
2.45 inch height
1.26 inch thickness
2.89 inch hub register
23 lbs

The nice thing about this truck is that the backspacing on the wheel is I think about 5.5 inches and the offset is 25mm. The spokes come out and away and arent too deep like my old wheels. I know the factory dakota r/t wheel needed a spacer because of this. I dont think I do. We'll find out...and a machinist can fix anything.

Given the lovely gift of early viper cross-compatibility, it's almost a no brainer to say if I can fit them then by all means please do..but if I feel uncomfortable buying rotors that might not fit and I chicken out, it's nice to know I am still doing what is purported to be a nice upgrade to the 12 inch...and of course with a 4 piston caliper, that's only augmented I'm sure.

So I'm going to do what I was supposed to do first like a good boy (wife's watching this build, with interest) and do the viper brakes out back onto my 9.25 inch rear axle with the 13 inch rotor and 01 rear caliper/e-brake deals, then "find" some new calipers and rotors that someone mysteriously left on my doorstep out of charity.

I think that charitable individual is going to choose the wilwoods for me. They have really nice drawings with measurements of their stuff online and they will make life a lot easier for me. Those calipers look great too with the whole black stealth theme I have going on...if some better ones pop up with the same measurements though, I definitely won't cry.

I still want this thread to keep going though...I hope more keep commenting and contributing...ahem!!!!

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076539
09/28/11 09:06 PM
09/28/11 09:06 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Sounds kinda complicated....mine just sort of fell into place.

Then made the little adjustable aluminum template for the bracket to get the angles for it right and went to it.

He's very thorough, and I cant knock that. Whatever it takes until you're convinced you're doing it right is what you gotta do.

Yep I have all your pics saved and this thread added to my favorites because of what a cool general reference it's become so far. Thanks for your contributions too. The more of the details I see packed into your car, the more ideas I get myself. You guys are awesome.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076540
09/28/11 09:14 PM
09/28/11 09:14 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

He's very thorough

I guess you could call it that..

I know every setup is a little different of course...but with a little back ground work (like you are doing) it's really not thaaaaaat huge an under taking for what you end up with from it.

And if you decide to plop an LS1/T56 into the Dak, I can try and help out there too..

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076541
09/28/11 09:21 PM
09/28/11 09:21 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Hey Oz,

Here is a better idea of how the spokes come out. I dont think I will have a problem. The mounting surface is the same diameter of the hub and it tapers outward sharply from there. Should be enough room to not require a spacer. I dont want any wheel spacers.

The wilwood caliper only comes out 1.9 inches from the rotor surface on either side. I'm likely good. All that remains is the outer diameter fit...

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076542
09/28/11 09:31 PM
09/28/11 09:31 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

He's very thorough

I guess you could call it that..

I know every setup is a little different of course...but with a little back ground work (like you are doing) it's really not thaaaaaat huge an under taking for what you end up with from it.

And if you decide to plop an LS1/T56 into the Dak, I can try and help out there too..

My next engine is a Dart Machine Big Block Chevy M Block and Big M 410 cfm aluminum heads...god help me.

I like chevy stuff too.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076543
09/28/11 09:52 PM
09/28/11 09:52 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
I'm 2.5 inches away from the rotor surface now at the most outward part of the wheel which means with the extra thickness of the 13 inch rotor and the 1.9 inch caliper distance from the surface of the rotor isnt enough to hit.

Just bouncing numbers off the wall per quick measurements...

The difference in thickness between what I have now (950) and the viper rotor is .31 inch, and if the caliper extends outward 1.9 inch from the rotor surface, the viper rotor will leave me about .29 inch clearance...

Total outside radius with caliper would be a bit over 7 inches...not enough to hit on the outside...

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076544
10/01/11 03:19 PM
10/01/11 03:19 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
If you changed your mind on the wheels...just came across...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2626566433.html

And are they done yet?
Are they done yet?
Are they done yet?

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076545
10/01/11 03:20 PM
10/01/11 03:20 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

I'm 2.5 inches away from the rotor surface now at the most outward part of the wheel which means with the extra thickness of the 13 inch rotor and the 1.9 inch caliper distance from the surface of the rotor isnt enough to hit.

The difference in thickness between what I have now (950) and the viper rotor is .31 inch, and if the caliper extends outward 1.9 inch from the rotor surface, the viper rotor will leave me about .29 inch clearance...

Total outside radius with caliper would be a bit over 7 inches...not enough to hit on the outside...

Sounds like a mile of room!

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076546
10/01/11 07:51 PM
10/01/11 07:51 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a mile of room!

Yup! I'm going for it. next week I'll have the back brakes going, and soon after the wilwood dynapro billet calipers and 1.26x13 viper rotors will be on the way. This has become one hell of an expensive carb conversion.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076547
10/01/11 07:54 PM
10/01/11 07:54 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

If you changed your mind on the wheels...just came across...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2626566433.html

And are they done yet?
Are they done yet?
Are they done yet?

I really like these black wheels. They're staying. But onc ethe truck is out and driving I'm going to do another car...as long as life keeps being good to me...

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076548
10/03/11 08:43 PM
10/03/11 08:43 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I was playing around with the spare Oz Valiant spindles and hubs I have laying around again and sure looks like it will be pretty simple to rig up a 13" or more setup onto them too

Be cool to see how the viper rotors sit on your setup!

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076549
10/07/11 10:47 AM
10/07/11 10:47 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
I know the 13 inch fronts will work. That's the plan...

But right now I need to order my rear calipers since I am on the rear axle portion of my build....

So what calipers work on my rear brackets?
I know 70Cuda383 knows the answer to this question....right now I'm confused at all the conflicting info I am seeing at various E-tailers.

I guess another question that might help me get a good answer is what years did the rear calipers stay the same??? I looked around on allpar and maybe didnt look hard enough, but didnt see anything I could use.

This is my holdup right now...and I want to order them today as my rear axle will be ready for them by then...have to keep working and I need the parts to keep coming in to do this...

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I dont need the wrong parts. LOL

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076550
10/08/11 12:26 AM
10/08/11 12:26 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Alright, so I got a set of 99 rear viper calipers, a set of rotors, pads, and the mounting bolts ordered.

For anyone curious and not in the know like i was, 2000 is the last year that works for the viper disc brake conversions on the rear end of a dakota. Guess they went to ABS, different calipers, dimensions and stuff after that on the rears. Fronts changed after 2003 I think.

So they are on their way and I'll post up when I get them and the installation as well. cost is about 700 bucks so far and all I need now are the hoses for the rear....anyone know what the proper length should be? I want to say no longer than 10 inches woudl be needed. I guess it's up in the air since this is all custom and everything is being replaced.

Going to use this for all the brake lines...
http://store.fedhillusa.com/

Anyone every try it? It's supposed to bend super easily by hand without kinking, is DOT approved, and doesnt corrode.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076551
10/08/11 12:40 AM
10/08/11 12:40 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Cool deal you got some calipers lined up

On brakes lines for the rear.. I just used normal hardline and bent it up and flared the ends and such. Then used 3 flex lines.. One from the diff T fitting up to the body then one on each side of course to the calipers.

I don't remember the hose length off hand on the 2 for the calipers but 10" - 12 or so maybe? Just see what fits nicely with no kinks and gives ample clearance and movement.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076552
10/08/11 12:45 AM
10/08/11 12:45 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Here was after I bent up the hard line.. I had welded some tabs on the diff housing as well you can see to hold the flex hoses near the ends.

6861395-046.JPG (40 downloads)
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076553
10/08/11 01:23 AM
10/08/11 01:23 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Here was after I bent up the hard line.. I had welded some tabs on the diff housing as well you can see to hold the flex hoses near the ends.

Yep, that's exactly what I was envisioning.
Right now it's all hardline, so I had to think about it.

Yeah, I almost got pissed today and ordered a kit just to save my hair, and then I found a place that had the stuff in stock.

Order is submitted, so I should hopefully have something next week.
It said the calipers were in stock, but they mention some extra time for powdercoating...so we'll see.

I just complicated the situation though because I had the calipers powdercoated in red. LOL Now I have to find a red anodized caliper. Wilwood makes them so I'll go with something that has the 3.5 inch narrowmount scheme that will work well for me with 4 pistons, and I'll be good to go.

I payed 132 bucks for the pair of slotted/drilled 13 inch rear rotors with a lifetime warranty. The fronts cost a little more than that. Most places charge you A LOT. In my eyes they are all iron and they are all rotors so I went with the best price. Especially since they guarantee them.

these....th picture isnt the real rotor as mine are 6x4.5 but you get the spiel....

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11