09/27/11 01:15 PM
09/27/11 01:15 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Kinda see the lines in this one....after thinking of where to mount it, and deciding on there, it worked out really nice. Easy to adjust and easy to run all the lines to it.

6844816-010.JPG (40 downloads)
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076515
09/27/11 02:17 PM
09/27/11 02:17 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Here is where I mounted the brake valve as well...made a little bracket that holds it just under the master cylinder.

very clever use of the banjo fittings. I like that!
I never thought of using them up at the master cyl, but there's a lot I havent thought about yet!

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076516
09/27/11 02:18 PM
09/27/11 02:18 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well the wheels will be here tomorrow, so I'll be able to see how I like the look on the front end and take some measurements.

I know it man...I should see something show up this afternoon maybe 4:00...

Status is "out for delivery".

Cool deal

I had my wheels before I had even started on my brake setup and built to them..sure you are itching to get the wheels so you can start figuring things out too

When you're up until 2am getting maybe 3 hours of sleep per night planning and searching for ideas and parts, yeah, I'd say...

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: finadk] #1076517
09/27/11 02:21 PM
09/27/11 02:21 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Im just wondering how you were able to get an adequate balance using such large brakes.

Thanks.

FWIW 70-30 is close to ideal, the majority of the weight transfers to the front of the vehicle during hard braking so rear lock-up is always a concern... Lighter brake applications lock-up front or rear isn't much of an issue but the harder you stop the more weight is transferred... Typically an adjustable proportioning valve is added to the line going to the rear brakes so the pressure to them can be limited.... Once the car is on the road & has a few miles on it so the brake pads have had a chance to properly bed themselves, take it to the testing location of choice... (I live in a farming community so...) Leave the adjustable valve at full pressure... Anyway start off easy, Threshold braking from maybe 35-40 mph if the rears lock-up reduce the pressure to them & try again... When things are good at 35-40 raise the speed to 55-60 & try again... It doesn't take long to get it balanced & then you'll feel much more confident when you need them to work...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1076518
09/27/11 03:06 PM
09/27/11 03:06 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Im just wondering how you were able to get an adequate balance using such large brakes.

Thanks.

FWIW 70-30 is close to ideal, the majority of the weight transfers to the front of the vehicle during hard braking so rear lock-up is always a concern... Lighter brake applications lock-up front or rear isn't much of an issue but the harder you stop the more weight is transferred... Typically an adjustable proportioning valve is added to the line going to the rear brakes so the pressure to them can be limited.... Once the car is on the road & has a few miles on it so the brake pads have had a chance to properly bed themselves, take it to the testing location of choice... (I live in a farming community so...) Leave the adjustable valve at full pressure... Anyway start off easy, Threshold braking from maybe 35-40 mph if the rears lock-up reduce the pressure to them & try again... When things are good at 35-40 raise the speed to 55-60 & try again... It doesn't take long to get it balanced & then you'll feel much more confident when you need them to work...

Thanks for chiming in...what effect does having a larger diameter tire out back on brake bias? Let's say I had a smaller rotor out front like an 11 inch and 4 piston caliper and a single piston caliper out back with a 13 inch rotor? would I be in trouble besides people making fun of me?

Maybe I should say does a larger tire out back affect anything at all? I would think the larget tire would have less a tendency to lock up is my logic.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076519
09/27/11 03:17 PM
09/27/11 03:17 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Thanks for chiming in...what effect does having a larger diameter tire out back on brake bias? Let's say I had a smaller rotor out front like an 11 inch and 4 piston caliper and a single piston caliper out back with a 13 inch rotor? would I be in trouble besides people making fun of me?

You just like to make trouble for yourself... Between brake pad surface area, brake pad friction material selection, tire size/compound selection there are tons of variables, most can be compensated for by an adjustable PV, but really the PV limits brake pressure to the rear, it therefore limits/reduces braking ability, you are better off to select components that work closely together & don't require much tuning with a PV....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1076520
09/27/11 03:29 PM
09/27/11 03:29 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

You just like to make trouble for yourself... Between brake pad surface area, brake pad friction material selection, tire size/compound selection there are tons of variables, most can be compensated for by an adjustable PV, but really the PV limits brake pressure to the rear, it therefore limits/reduces braking ability, you are better off to select components that work closely together & don't require much tuning with a PV....

hehe yup!

The bias in a dakota is pretty good with the factory prop valve, but I'll have to see how it goes. I am using the viper 13 inch rotor out back and a 4 piston caliper with hopefully a 14 incher up front, but likely 13 inch. My front tires are 26 inch, wheels 17 inch but the rears are 28 inch. I guess I wont know until I CAREFULLY drive it the first few times.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076521
09/27/11 07:25 PM
09/27/11 07:25 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Alright, so I have wheels now.

I kinda like them. The pictures really dont show the nice shine.
Black is a hard color to take pics of. They're definitely weird. Not something I would typically go for, but I think they will grow on me and i still have to see them on the truck...I'm compelled to go out there and play right now, but I ate dinner, went running and now I feel like a slug.

Anyway...

Looks like i have about 16 inches to work within upon quick measurement. I'll have to go out into the garage tomorrow and get more accurate measurements but I'm pretty sure about it. I think the 13 inch rotor is doable. The 14 inch is not given the caliper clearance I would likely need, but I'll begin to pry for that information soon.

Here's a couple pictures...

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076522
09/27/11 08:17 PM
09/27/11 08:17 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA

You are nearly done now that you have the wheels.

Thats a good step though and you can start to see if all the planning will actually all work out how you had worked out, and hopefully it comes along pretty simply now.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076523
09/27/11 08:24 PM
09/27/11 08:24 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

What size is that, and how much were they? I want to get viper wheels to run with my viper brakes, but I'm not going to have $1500-2000 to buy a used set off the forums for quite some time.

I'm going to have to borrow some wheel spacers to use the stock R/T rims.

Oh, and my brakes are second on the list of things to do. This is the priority:

(What the.... that makes no sense! on my phone, it's "right side up" on my computer, it's right side up. on photobucket where I uploaded it to, it's right side up....I post it here as an attachment, and it's sideways!!!)

6845270-photo(5).JPG (40 downloads)
Last edited by 70Cuda383; 09/27/11 08:28 PM.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076524
09/27/11 08:38 PM
09/27/11 08:38 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Thats a good step though and you can start to see if all the planning will actually all work out how you had worked out, and hopefully it comes along pretty simply now.

haha! In a perfect world!

I'll get the tires mounted to the wheels tomorrow and put them on. I also need to see where the rotor sits inside the wheel. I think they sit further back in reality than I think they do, but we'll confirm it. There is definitely enough room for something good and that's all that matters...

I think I am going to flip through some catalogs and match up a pair of rotors to a pair of calipers best I can and commit to it. Like I've said before, I do my best work when I have no choice but to make something work. Anything else is just the easy way.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: 70Cuda383] #1076525
09/27/11 08:55 PM
09/27/11 08:55 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Cuda,

I dont know what my priorities are anymore.
I just grab whatever I can do at the moment and do it as parts come in and as I recover from previous injuries.

The wheels are 17x8 and cost just under 600 bucks for 4 of them, chrome gorilla nuts with locks and stems were another maybe 30 something bucks. I waited for them because they were on backorder. I think they still are.

I built my engine last year. I am very happy with it.
It's a 408, 10.3:1, RHS heads from IMM, magnum shaft rockers from hughes, [Email]250something@.050[/Email] (I forget) intake duration roller with .600 at the valve, geardrive (couldnt help myself) scat superlight crank and forged scat I beams. It should kick some butt. Nothing monstrous, but definitely no slouch either.

I have a 727 trans, 75.5 inch aluminum driveshaft and 3800 stall going behind it all sitting behind me...in my office.

Cooling is a champion corvette three row radiator.

I have a set of ceramic coated PPH mid length headers for it and I'm running dual exhausts. No more 3 inch y pipe. They should work great. I also ripped out the fuel system and went to a full return aeromotive a-1000 stealth system. I can run my engine, a nitrous system, and a flamethrower all at the same time.

It's hard to really do anything with these dakotas, but being original with them is definitely cool. I hate it when I go to a show and everyone has the same truck with the same everything on it. Not this cat.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076526
09/27/11 08:58 PM
09/27/11 08:58 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I'll get the tires mounted to the wheels tomorrow and put them on. I also need to see where the rotor sits inside the wheel. I think they sit further back in reality than I think they do, but we'll confirm it. There is definitely enough room for something good and that's all that matters...

I think I am going to flip through some catalogs and match up a pair of rotors to a pair of calipers best I can and commit to it. Like I've said before, I do my best work when I have no choice but to make something work. Anything else is just the easy way.

Sounds eeeeeeeeeasy....

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076527
09/27/11 09:02 PM
09/27/11 09:02 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds eeeeeeeeeasy....

It's all easy...after you figure it out. hehe
But in the end you have something completely original and when something breaks, you're screwed!

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076528
09/27/11 09:13 PM
09/27/11 09:13 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
POS....you've got a bit more motor than I do!!

that ought to move that 4,000+ lb pig pretty well!!

long driveshaft...sounds like a club cab. the custom shaft I had made for my old truck with the big block and TKO was 73.5" long.

dang truck weighed 4200 lbs with me in the seat!

this little blue truck is only about 300 lbs lighter.

I know what you mean about "all the same" seems everyone has the same cold air intake, same valve covers, etc. which is why I went old school with my engine theme. it's just a stock rebuilt 5.9L with a hughes whiplash cam, .544 lift, 222 duration @ .050 107LSA. heads shaved .030 and a .039 felpro head gasket. thinking I'm at about 9.5:1 compression now. maybe as high as 9.7:1 all depends on how big the stock chambers were before I cut them .030!! I've heard they were 59-63 CCs, then someone else told me they actually CCd their heads after a .040 cut and a valve job (sank the valves a bit) and his were 63CCs

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: POS Dakota] #1076529
09/27/11 09:16 PM
09/27/11 09:16 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Brakes break ?

I think getting the right rotor (to have the caliper sit where you want in relation to the wheel is the main hurdle. Making the caliper brackets (in my case at least) was not really a huge deal. Making the little template piece to get the angle right was a good start and then just start cutting out of the thick stuff.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: 70Cuda383] #1076530
09/27/11 09:27 PM
09/27/11 09:27 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

POS....you've got a bit more motor than I do!!

that ought to move that 4,000+ lb pig pretty well!!

long driveshaft...sounds like a club cab. the custom shaft I had made for my old truck with the big block and TKO was 73.5" long.

dang truck weighed 4200 lbs with me in the seat!

this little blue truck is only about 300 lbs lighter.

I know what you mean about "all the same" seems everyone has the same cold air intake, same valve covers, etc. which is why I went old school with my engine theme. it's just a stock rebuilt 5.9L with a hughes whiplash cam, .544 lift, 222 duration @ .050 107LSA. heads shaved .030 and a .039 felpro head gasket. thinking I'm at about 9.5:1 compression now. maybe as high as 9.7:1 all depends on how big the stock chambers were before I cut them .030!! I've heard they were 59-63 CCs, then someone else told me they actually CCd their heads after a .040 cut and a valve job (sank the valves a bit) and his were 63CCs

My chambers are 62cc or extremely close to that.

I've taken so much crap out of it, It ought to be lightened up quite a bit. Given the fact of what just the wheels weigh alone, going to lighter ones took over 40 lbs off alone. aluminum qai shocks weigh a good deal less than steel shocks...every little thing adds up. I laughed when I realized how heavy just the wiring harness was alone...

I liked the oldschool idea myself is why I went with it. The factory efi is a joke and the overdrive trans is just too heavy and reacts too slow. It also looks like crap.

So now I'm working with this...

6845411-more4.jpg (33 downloads)
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: OzHemi] #1076531
09/27/11 09:34 PM
09/27/11 09:34 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Brakes break ?

I think getting the right rotor (to have the caliper sit where you want in relation to the wheel is the main hurdle. Making the caliper brackets (in my case at least) was not really a huge deal. Making the little template piece to get the angle right was a good start and then just start cutting out of the thick stuff.

I hope brakes dont break!
Yeah the selection I have is late model 6 lug 12 inch rotors, viper 14 inch, viper 13 inch, and everything else is likely something I have to mod. I think I would even have to mod the hub for the 13 inch viper to fit.

This will all become a lot clearer to me tomorrow when I am looking at a wheel over my current brakes. It will be even clearer than that once I have parts sitting here to place and measure. Once I get a rotor and caliper, I can hook up the caliper, bleed it, put it where I want it, have someone hold the brake pedal to center it and meake my templates. something to that effect.

Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: 70Cuda383] #1076532
09/28/11 04:59 PM
09/28/11 04:59 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

What the.... that makes no sense! on my phone, it's "right side up" on my computer, it's right side up. on photobucket where I uploaded it to, it's right side up....I post it here as an attachment, and it's sideways!!!

It's quite simple. You, my friend, suck.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Post your custom front disc brake setups. [Re: feets] #1076533
09/28/11 06:18 PM
09/28/11 06:18 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
HAHA!!!!!

Ok, I got tires mounted to my front wheels and threw them on the mighty (albeit mostly apart) POS Dakota....

I have about three inches all around my 11.3 inch rotors in there now.
from the edge of my clumsy iron single piston caliper, I have what I am going to limit to 1.25 inches for safety. I have some room to work with. I will need a caliper that doesnt stick too far past the end of the rotor and I will clear the wheel with a 13 inch rotor. Definitely a 12 inch rotor from a later model dakota. If I did go with the 12 inch rotor, I think any 4 piston caliper coupled with that would be a lot more stopping power. I'm digging the look though...

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11