08/25/11 08:49 PM
08/25/11 08:49 PM
Penna
70satelliteguy Offline OP
pro stock
70satelliteguy  Offline OP
pro stock

Penna
Any recommendations? Trailer is 6 years old and has slight leaks here and there. Can I use mobile home roof paint/sealer?
Thanks Mike

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1063022
08/25/11 09:29 PM
08/25/11 09:29 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
why not? a roof has no gender
maybe a new rubber roof would do the trick inexpensively

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: HEMIFRED] #1063023
08/25/11 11:15 PM
08/25/11 11:15 PM
Niles, Michigan
Hitman340 Offline
mopar
Hitman340  Offline
mopar

Niles, Michigan
Im told that you can buy white roof paint at most home improvement stores that not only seal and keep it cooler inside but also stop the black streaks you get on the sides after a while.

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: Hitman340] #1063024
08/25/11 11:28 PM
08/25/11 11:28 PM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Offline
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Offline
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn
I think the stuff that hitman is refering to is called "Cool Seal". I think...

Brian Dunnigan

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: '72CudaRacer] #1063025
08/26/11 12:04 AM
08/26/11 12:04 AM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
There is a tape called eternabond that is pressure activated. Your local rv store will have it. Awesome stuff

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1063026
08/26/11 09:19 AM
08/26/11 09:19 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Don't use moble home roofing tar. Go to a RV store and ask them or a place that sells trailer. The correct stuff is white in color and drys real hard.

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1063027
08/26/11 09:31 AM
08/26/11 09:31 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Any recommendations? Trailer is 6 years old and has slight leaks here and there. Can I use mobile home roof paint/sealer?
Thanks Mike

It most likely has a perimeter seal on the roof which should be scraped off, cleaned and replaced....then coat the roof with one coat of primer followed by two coats of the liquid rubber roof coating sold at RV dealers....the new rubber coating will prevent the perimeter seal from drying out or at least extend it's life and will keep the interior of the trailer much cooler

PS....they also sell roof gutters that install along the topside edge that will channel water to the rear of the trailer which aids really well in stopping black streaks down the sides of the trailer

Rickster

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: rickstershemi] #1063028
08/26/11 09:41 AM
08/26/11 09:41 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Mike

It most likely has a perimeter seal on the roof which should be scraped off, cleaned and replaced....then coat the roof with one coat of primer followed by two coats of the liquid rubber roof coating sold at RV dealers....the new rubber coating will prevent the perimeter seal from drying out or at least extend it's life and will keep the interior of the trailer much cooler

PS....they also sell roof gutters that install along the topside edge that will channel water to the rear of the trailer which aids really well in stopping black streaks down the sides of the trailer

Rickster

Yes only do the seam, not the whole thing. When I wash my trailers, I start with the roof first, get it clean and the black stains stop running down the side. Bare aluminum for a roof is better than having some kind of coating up there, because it can chip off when the roof flexes and holds dirt. Don't coat the whole roof, I'm telling you.

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: rickstershemi] #1063029
08/26/11 09:43 AM
08/26/11 09:43 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Rickster

What store did you see these at? Was looking to make something for this and didn't know they were available.
That will definately keep the black streaks off.

Sorry for the hijack OP

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: roadhazard] #1063030
08/26/11 09:46 AM
08/26/11 09:46 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

I sourced them through a local trailer sales & supply down here in FLA.....I'm sure any large trailer dealer could source them for you

Rickster

What store did you see these at? Was looking to make something for this and didn't know they were available.
That will definately keep the black streaks off.

Sorry for the hijack OP

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: Challenger 1] #1063031
08/26/11 09:51 AM
08/26/11 09:51 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Mike

Rickster

Yes only do the seam, not the whole thing. When I wash my trailers, I start with the roof first, get it clean and the black stains stop running down the side. Bare aluminum for a roof is better than having some kind of coating up there, because it can chip off when the roof flexes and holds dirt. Don't coat the whole roof, I'm telling you.

Have to disagree.....if you prepare the roof correctly to the coating manufacturer's recommended installation it will not crack or chip....it's an elastomeric product and meant to flex....also just the rubber coating by itself will greatly reduce black streaks in lieu of the bare aluminum skin

I did my 50 footer and I highly recommend it

Rickster

Re: Roof paint/sealer for racecar trailer. [Re: rickstershemi] #1063032
08/26/11 09:56 AM
08/26/11 09:56 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Mike

Rickster

Have to disagree.....if you prepare the roof correctly to the coating manufacturer's recommended installation it will not crack or chip....it's an elastomeric product and meant to flex....also just the rubber coating by itself will greatly reduce black streaks in lieu of the bare aluminum skin

I did my 50 footer and I highly recommend it

Rickster

I keep my aluminum roof clean and have had no black stains for years now. No added weight and nothing to come off.