East Bethel Mn
D
Danscudas Offline OP
pro stock
Danscudas  Offline OP
pro stock
D

East Bethel Mn
Working on a 1970 Roadrunner and the console top metal pieces are in need of rechroming and restoration to like new condition. Is there a vendor out there that handles all parts of restoration of that piece?

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: Danscudas] #104722
08/14/08 12:01 PM
08/14/08 12:01 PM
Columbia Station, Ohio
69RTSE Offline
pro stock
69RTSE  Offline
pro stock

Columbia Station, Ohio
I don't know how bad yours are, but if they need rechromed, new woodgrain, etc, you may just want to buy a new set. B/E and A Parts sells them. Supposed to be just like the originals. Otherwise, you can get woodgrain decal kits, and have yours rechromed at a local chrome shop, repaint the black areas yourself. If yours are really pitted, this will drive up the rechroming price.

B/E and A parts

4618468-consoleplate.jpg (53 downloads)
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: 69RTSE] #104723
08/14/08 01:30 PM
08/14/08 01:30 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL

The pieces from BE&A are beautiful. Save your
self a headache and buy them.

logan426

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: 69RTSE] #104724
08/14/08 02:47 PM
08/14/08 02:47 PM
East Bethel Mn
D
Danscudas Offline OP
pro stock
Danscudas  Offline OP
pro stock
D

East Bethel Mn
Posted this for a friend of mine who I think would much rather have his originals restored than buy reproductions. He also wants a "one stop" operation to restore them. I'll run this by him and see what he thinks.

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: Danscudas] #104725
08/14/08 03:53 PM
08/14/08 03:53 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Your friend is NUTS...re-chroming the three pieces would cost a small fortune. and after re-chroming the sharpness and crispness of the details will be lost forever.

The reproduction ones sold by BE&A are 100% beautiful in every respect. They fit original consoles and they fit the new reproduction consoles as well perfectly

I can't say enough good things about these BE&A items.

On a side note....The 70 Charger I'm working on....The owner wants me to hack out the PRND21 area of his brand new top plate for an aftermarket shifter ....you modified guys are nuts

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: anlauto] #104726
08/14/08 04:43 PM
08/14/08 04:43 PM
East Bethel Mn
D
Danscudas Offline OP
pro stock
Danscudas  Offline OP
pro stock
D

East Bethel Mn
Thanks Alan, it never hurts when opinions match each other. I reviewed the BE&A product line which I have not done for a while. All I can say is

BTW: Your Sassy looks great and congrats on super restoration job on a difficult car!

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: MLR426] #104727
08/14/08 10:28 PM
08/14/08 10:28 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

logan426

Yes the automatic ones are. The 4spd ones are junk and don't fit. They are expensive wall art. Here is Mike from BEA letting everyone know they don't fit but yet all vendors still continue to sell them. So if it's a stickshift get the original one plated...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4030703

"I have received numerous private emails pertaining to this post and that I should respond to the issues. I have been aware of the thread, however, I didn’t want to jump on without all my ducks in a row.

Both the 67-68 & 69-70 4-speed top plate tools have issues, a lot of the parts coming out of the tool are bad. I’ve been test fitting all the top plates since 3:00 am. this morning and what I found was many of the 4-speed plates, from the batch I tested, are junk no question. All the automatic plates fitment was correct, they were made from totally different tooling then the 4-speed plates."

FROM MIKE @ BEA

Last edited by QuickBpBp; 08/14/08 10:31 PM.
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: QuickBpBp] #104728
08/14/08 11:04 PM
08/14/08 11:04 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

logan426

Yes the automatic ones are. The 4spd ones are junk and don't fit. They are expensive wall art. Here is Mike from BEA letting everyone know they don't fit but yet all vendors still continue to sell them. So if it's a stickshift get the original one plated...

"I have received numerous private emails pertaining to this post and that I should respond to the issues. I have been aware of the thread, however, I didn’t want to jump on without all my ducks in a row.

Both the 67-68 & 69-70 4-speed top plate tools have issues, a lot of the parts coming out of the tool are bad. I’ve been test fitting all the top plates since 3:00 am. this morning and what I found was many of the 4-speed plates, from the batch I tested, are junk no question. All the automatic plates fitment was correct, they were made from totally different tooling then the 4-speed plates."

FROM MIKE @ BEA

I am stuck with mine and a pair of headrests that may not fit.

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: NITROUSN] #104729
08/14/08 11:26 PM
08/14/08 11:26 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
I thought Mike had that all sorted out now, and that the procedure was to return your defective plate to your place of purchase to get the ball rolling on getting a replacement.

Maybe He'll chime in?

Tav

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: cataclysm80] #104730
08/15/08 12:27 AM
08/15/08 12:27 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

I thought Mike had that all sorted out now, and that the procedure was to return your defective plate to your place of purchase to get the ball rolling on getting a replacement.

Maybe He'll chime in?

Tav

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: QuickBpBp] #104731
08/15/08 06:54 AM
08/15/08 06:54 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Hang on guys, I reposted about a month ago that the new tooling for the 4 speed top plates are finished and we have stock on the updated pieces.

I promised we would do that and we did as well as post that they are finished and correct.

The offer still stands that I posted before, send them back to the point of purchase and we will exchange it for you no problem. All the old ones are long gone.

I posted a new post in reference to the availability of the new plates, I couldn't find the original post. Now that the link was posted here, I also posted on that one.

Was there a different way I should have handled this situation? It's not about our company, it's about all our customers satisfaction and that we are a good stuart to the hobby that matters.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 08/15/08 07:16 AM.
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: HEMICUDA] #104732
08/15/08 01:25 PM
08/15/08 01:25 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Mike Ross showing the way business should be done... This "problem" is actually what caused me to recently buy some parts from BEA...

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: NITROUSN] #104733
08/15/08 02:53 PM
08/15/08 02:53 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

logan426

FROM MIKE @ BEA

I am stuck with mine and a pair of headrests that may not fit.

All problems resolved. Mike Ross from BEA put me in the right direction. BEA will be recieving my future buisness as my project progresses. Thanks Mike.

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #104734
08/15/08 04:11 PM
08/15/08 04:11 PM
Southeast PA
5wndwcpe Offline
pro stock
5wndwcpe  Offline
pro stock

Southeast PA
Quote:

Mike Ross showing the way business should be done... This "problem" is actually what caused me to recently buy some parts from BEA...

Couldn't ask for a better reference than to see how a company steps up to the plate in a situation like this. They'll be getting my business as well.

1968 GTX hardtop
1968 Sport Satellite Convertible 383/4spd
1933 Plymouth coupe
2002 Ram 2500 oil burner 4x4
2015 Grand Cherokee
2013 Challenger
1957 Chrysler Saratoga

Man...I need a bigger freakin' garage.
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: 5wndwcpe] #104735
08/15/08 04:47 PM
08/15/08 04:47 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Problems are no more than an opportunity for a company to elevate themselves in the eyes of potential customers. For those of you that have known us for any length of time know we are consistent and steadfast in how we conduct or business, uncompromisingly. If that has to change, I’ll sell the company.

Remember, what you compromise for gain you will ultimately loose and with that the door is opened for the devil to also take what you already had. Plus, it’s a whole lot more fun doing it right.

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 08/15/08 04:53 PM.
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: HEMICUDA] #104736
08/16/08 10:13 AM
08/16/08 10:13 AM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Was there a different way I should have handled this situation? It's not about our company, it's about all our customers satisfaction and that we are a good stuart to the hobby that matters.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

Actually yes. First off I am in no way blasting YOU personally and appreciate parts being made for our old Mopar muscle. That being said I would of had them pulled from the market place. There were and still are alot of vendors STILL selling the junk ones after you said they were junk. Between your company who sells here in the states and Peter in Canada(PG Classics) who actually makes these parts,a large percentage could have been removed from the market place by contacting whole-sale people you guys supplied. Instead these will be floating around for years to come on e-bay,flea markets and project cars etc.. Now knowing this was also going to be a large problem. I would have also made a marking of some sort so everyone would know these are the correctly tooled ones marked like "2nd generation" so people are not afraid to purchase them. Was this done? If so can we see the identifying marks so we can distinguish between the two? Again you asked so I figured I would let you know how I would have handled it and made it better for the hobbyist.

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: QuickBpBp] #104737
08/16/08 04:35 PM
08/16/08 04:35 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Michael C. Ross - Owner
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

Actually yes. First off I am in no way blasting YOU personally and appreciate parts being made for our old Mopar muscle. That being said I would of had them pulled from the market place. There were and still are alot of vendors STILL selling the junk ones after you said they were junk. Between your company who sells here in the states and Peter in Canada(PG Classics) who actually makes these parts,a large percentage could have been removed from the market place by contacting whole-sale people you guys supplied. Instead these will be floating around for years to come on e-bay,flea markets and project cars etc.. Now knowing this was also going to be a large problem. I would have also made a marking of some sort so everyone would know these are the correctly tooled ones marked like "2nd generation" so people are not afraid to purchase them. Was this done? If so can we see the identifying marks so we can distinguish between the two? Again you asked so I figured I would let you know how I would have handled it and made it better for the hobbyist.

"a large percentage could have been removed from the market place by contacting whole-sale people you guys supplied."

Now why would you just make the assumption that wasn't done? You know that to be a fact that we didn’t? Dealers didn’t stock that part because of the price. They were notified immediately that the plates were no longer available until the new tooling was completed. All customers that purchased plates from B/E & A were notified of the potential problem and course of action.

If there really was that many plates in the market that didn’t fit don’t you think we would of heard of more than just a couple here on Moparts?

Instead of making statements as facts, call me first so I can tell you the rest of the story so when you post you’ll have it right.

Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: HEMICUDA] #104738
08/16/08 09:49 PM
08/16/08 09:49 PM
Lansing, MI
70gtx440dana Offline
master
70gtx440dana  Offline
master

Lansing, MI
Mike Ross - I happened to be working a a couple 4 speed top plates today. I am wondering if BE&A will be offering just the woodgrain backing plates with decals for the console door and shifter plate so that "do it yourself" restorations would be possible without purchasing the whole trim plate.
I know decals are out there but I could use at least one set of the backing plates. I am sure others out there would appreciate this as well.

70 Road Runner 383-4 4 speed FJ5 & black guts
70 Charger R/T 440-4 4 speed FJ5 & white guts
Re: 70 B Body console top plates restoration place [Re: HEMICUDA] #104739
08/17/08 08:55 AM
08/17/08 08:55 AM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Michael C. Ross - Owner
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

"a large percentage could have been removed from the market place by contacting whole-sale people you guys supplied."

Now why would you just make the assumption that wasn't done? You know that to be a fact that we didn’t? Dealers didn’t stock that part because of the price. They were notified immediately that the plates were no longer available until the new tooling was completed. All customers that purchased plates from B/E & A were notified of the potential problem and course of action.

If there really was that many plates in the market that didn’t fit don’t you think we would of heard of more than just a couple here on Moparts?

Instead of making statements as facts, call me first so I can tell you the rest of the story so when you post you’ll have it right.

First off,Yes they are many that don't fit. I have a few buddies(Non moparts members)that have them and they don't fit,plus the pallet of them from your warehouse,plus the ones from the guy on e-bay who you said is selling the ones that don't fit...and your own words.."Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not making excuses for the 4-speed top plates. Those were the same as a shortstop booting around a grounder until he finely sticks a fork in it. Many of them were awful, never should have hit the market and I’ll take total blame for the part."
So now you are trying to say it was only a few members here that had problems and you re-tooled them for those people????

Next is the issue of leaving them in the market place. They were still available at all the shows and on the internet from suppliers while there was no second generation one yet. There is a difference "pulling" something from the market place versus "warning" them of a problem. I actually showed one dealer last year at Carlisle they don't fit and was asked to leave the tent. He said "I was scaring off potential customers and if I wasn't goin to buy please leave". That's not your fault but letting you know they were still out there pushing the product. Now the biggest question is to avoid any confusion is there markings to tell the 2 apart??
You asked what could have been done and I replied what I would have done. Again it's nothing personal just to me it makes good business better.