08/12/08 08:54 PM
08/12/08 08:54 PM
North Central USA (MN-WI area)
MuscleMopars Offline OP
master
MuscleMopars  Offline OP
master

North Central USA (MN-WI area)
I've got noise in a 4 speed trans trough the first three gears then quiet in 4th gear, doesn't pop out of gear, doesn't grind into gear, just a growling noise under acceleration. I've been told it's bearings. Anybody got some advice? Is this a job a professional should do, are special tools needed or should I give it a shot?
THANKS!

Thanks,
Eric
email eric@musclemopars.com
715-426-HEMI (Shop)
612-669-CARS (Cell and Texts)

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site
Re: 4 speed trans noise? Help??? [Re: MuscleMopars] #103989
08/12/08 09:29 PM
08/12/08 09:29 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

I've got noise in a 4 speed trans trough the first three gears then quiet in 4th gear, doesn't pop out of gear, doesn't grind into gear, just a growling noise under acceleration. I've been told it's bearings. Anybody got some advice? Is this a job a professional should do, are special tools needed or should I give it a shot?
THANKS!

The condition you are describing is a result of the countershaft needle bearings wearing out the countershaft pin. If it's real bad, it will oftentimes take out the cluster shaft itself. The reason it won't make any noise in 4th is that 4th(direct) is merely connecting the input to the output shaft with no power being transmitted through the cluster.

This problem often occurs when the trans is run low on oil, or has been run for many years with ATF, so expect to find other problems. 833's aren't particularly hard to build and parts are readily available. You need a few special tools (snap ring pliers, bushing driver, a press is helpful alhough you can get by without it), and if you have reasonable mechanical aptitude it can be done.

The biggest problem I see wih the inexperienced is not being able to identify what is acceptable and what needs to be replaced(gears/synchros/etc). That is where a pro earns his $$.

MB