Arizona
A
az426john Offline OP
mopar
az426john  Offline OP
mopar
A

Arizona
I just put new spark plugs in my 1967 GTX Hemi car that has power disk brakes. I am having difficulty getting number 7 spark plug wire back on.

I have the plug wire with the flexible insulator on number 7 to try and avoid moving the booster, but it seems that the rubber on the insulator is being pushed sideways before it can go over the tip of the plug. When I think I have it aligned and push down on the insulator to connect it, it pushes right back up and never connects.

Does anyone have experience with this and any suggestions on how to do this other than moving the booster out of the way?

Re: HEMI Spark Plug Wire Question [Re: az426john] #1006651
06/04/11 07:35 PM
06/04/11 07:35 PM
Arizona
A
az426john Offline OP
mopar
az426john  Offline OP
mopar
A

Arizona
Well I finally got it.

I used plugs with a smooth insulator and it worked fine on all except #7. It appears that the dialectric grease I used on the plug to boot interface created an air lock seal and kept pushing the boot off.

It appears that the flexible insulator does not give a rigid enough path to push the red rubber boot on all the way and it is just short enough to keep the spark plug clip from making contact with the spark plug before the upper boot on the rocker arm cover contacts the rocker arm cover. Probably manufacturing tolerences or cheapness on the vendor.

I finally had to go buy 1 ribbed spark plug and put it in that cylinder. Then with some extra downward pressure on the rocker arm cover boot it is now down and connected.

What a PIA. No more smooth insulators for me.