05/31/11 12:46 PM
05/31/11 12:46 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
I think everyone will agree here that car counts for drag racing is down by a considerable amount.. I've only been racing for a couple of years and I've seen the numbers dwindle steadily...

Which leads me to wonder if its due to this economic recession we're in.. or is this a trend that will continue and that drag racing is pretty much on its last leg... as we know it..

I'm thinking the high costs to build a car, transport a car, maintain a car and to actually race the car is so far out of control that the backyard... grass roots racer is having second thoughts..

I know for me I love racing, but at the same time am getting quite concerned about the amount of money I've put out in just this last year..

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Jeepmon] #1003577
05/31/11 12:51 PM
05/31/11 12:51 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
To me its all the economy... lets face it... when the
price of fuel drops there tends to be more cars out there

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003578
05/31/11 01:00 PM
05/31/11 01:00 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
It's the economy.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Guitar Jones] #1003579
05/31/11 01:07 PM
05/31/11 01:07 PM
GA
Boosted Offline
master
Boosted  Offline
master

GA
I would say the economy also but I would add that I went to the race track this past weekend for the first time in about 5 years. Was about 30 cars/bikes/rails there total and this was a points race for Super Street, 6:50 and 7:50 1/8th mile and motor cycle race. Great track and a nice place but there where maybe 6 people in the stands including myself and a friend there to watch.

I think if they brought back true heads up racing maybe it would help. I watched for 4 hours and just got bored and went home. There is just osmehting about watching a car leave and hit the stop and then take back off that is dead boring to watch.

Will I go back and watch another race? Most likley not unless it is an ORSCA or NMCA race...

This is just a spectators point of view...

2011 RAM3500

1967 Fastback Barracuda with some go fast goodies.
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003580
05/31/11 01:11 PM
05/31/11 01:11 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
To me, the sport appears to be slowly returning to it's roots.

For a long time, guys were getting into racing like yuppies were into Harleys. It was the thing to do..and they turned it into an intense business that frankly was not much fun. You had the gadgets and electronics, the stackers, etc. Now that times are tough, those guys are bailing and what is left over are the guys who are passionate about the sport and will find a way to race. I find it refreshing, actually.

Some of the tracks have helped by toning it down a bit, too. I know PRP has stopped round money for buy backs (I like it, as I think that having to beat the same guy twice to win is somehow an injustice), but this has really sped up the show and maybe opened the way to draw some more spectators because not everyone find it "cost effective" to buy back in. It's become more of a race than a business enterprise.

It seems like the whole deal is just slowing down, ramping down into reality. The Nostalgia shows, which is our forte, are booming...it's absolutely incredible. A lot of young folks are involved, too.

I quit going to NHRA National events years ago, but at the recent IHRA Nitro Jam at Pittsburgh it was standing room only, and then some. There were more little kids there than I've seen at the drags in years....they were everywhere. Young families were everywhere...it was a great show, and affordable. Again, ramped down from a $100 a seat NHRA event, and the folks responded. The racing was good, close, fast....and I've heard from some that they will attend PRP as spectators in the future.

So, I think the sport is in good shape....but, the future looks a bit different to me than it did in the eighties and nineties. I'm optimistic.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Steve1118] #1003581
05/31/11 01:15 PM
05/31/11 01:15 PM
Nebraska
70VcodeCoronetRT Offline
top fuel
70VcodeCoronetRT  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
The economy and high fuel prices. That's why my car has sat for 2 years going on three.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: 70VcodeCoronetRT] #1003582
05/31/11 01:37 PM
05/31/11 01:37 PM
NC
S
SLOW67 Offline
super stock
SLOW67  Offline
super stock
S

NC
I stopped racing and attending when they got rid of the "street" car events. Our track (1/8) had alot of heads up street stuff all the way from 8.0-9.0 to 5 sec classes that all paid good. All of that is gone now and bracket racing to me is not fun to watch or race When my turbo stuff is finished and tuned I'll take it to the track for tnt and probably will never take it back

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Jeepmon] #1003583
05/31/11 01:55 PM
05/31/11 01:55 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I'm sort of quitting & I'll tell you exactly why----NHRA!
Several years ago I built a car for S/C & despite my dislike for electroncs figured it would be a good, fun class to run. Then NHRA started in with all their ridiculous (yes, that's right!) safety rules which made it almost impossible to run the car without having to watch for expiration dates on something. Couple that with the evr increasing costs of of the latest "trick of the week" in the Super classes, increased fuel & entry costs & the"@#$%^ you" attitude of track personnel & I see no reason to support NHRA. Now I'm not talking about extremes here---there's plenty of reasona NOT to require belts, shields, firesuits not to have expiration dates on them and only one reason TO have them---MONEY! NHRA has gotten greedy, self-centered & arrogant, catering only to professionals & disregarding the very people (hobby racers) that got them where they are in the first place.
As a result I prefer to favor nostalgia events, PSCA, ORSCA, that kind of stuff that that is geared more to the "little guy" & hobbyists than pros. That & street cars seem to be my latest "afflication" which are proving far more fun & a bit more affordable.........

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: hemicop] #1003584
05/31/11 02:14 PM
05/31/11 02:14 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
Quote:

I'm sort of quitting & I'll tell you exactly why----NHRA!
Several years ago I built a car for S/C & despite my dislike for electroncs figured it would be a good, fun class to run. Then NHRA started in with all their ridiculous (yes, that's right!) safety rules which made it almost impossible to run the car without having to watch for expiration dates on something. Couple that with the evr increasing costs of of the latest "trick of the week" in the Super classes, increased fuel & entry costs & the"@#$%^ you" attitude of track personnel & I see no reason to support NHRA. Now I'm not talking about extremes here---there's plenty of reasona NOT to require belts, shields, firesuits not to have expiration dates on them and only one reason TO have them---MONEY! NHRA has gotten greedy, self-centered & arrogant, catering only to professionals & disregarding the very people (hobby racers) that got them where they are in the first place.
As a result I prefer to favor nostalgia events, PSCA, ORSCA, that kind of stuff that that is geared more to the "little guy" & hobbyists than pros. That & street cars seem to be my latest "afflication" which are proving far more fun & a bit more affordable.........

I agree with all the posts above.
For me the poor economy/high fuel cost is the main reason to stay home. It costs twice as much just to get there and enter the race as it did 2 years ago. With the lack of disposable income I can't justify the added expense. The bang for the buck is not there.
More time with friends and especially family is not a bad thing either!!
And I will second the NHRA thing. I'm all done supporting them....

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Jeepmon] #1003585
05/31/11 02:59 PM
05/31/11 02:59 PM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
Its only the economic recession were are in for people who don't do simple math.They look at the gas marquee and when it goes up a quarter they pi$$ there pants.If you use 100 gal of fuel going to the track and back and gas goes up .25 that's only 25 bucks,he11 if it goes up a dollar its only 100 bucks.If anyone person is so broke that they can't afford and extra 100 dollars for gas They have no business going racing in the first place.I see so many people showing up in monster motor coaches with super fast cars and have no cash to eat.Here is a Idea race a car you can afford,I could have a stacker an a 6 second ride If I wanted but it would suck up all my extra money.I would rather keep What I got and eat steak at the track and when I need gas look for the station that is easy to get in and out of with a 44fT trailer in stead of looking to save 1.30 on a fill up.Its funny when you see someone with a 600 inch hemi in a bickel chassis car b1tching about how it cost him an extra 30 bucks to get to the track.Remember people some day you will be laying in a hospital bed dieing with thousands of dollars in the bank wishing you would have spent an extra 25 dollars on gas to go racing with your son,daughter,wife,dad,grandpa,brother, ect,ect just one more time.Don't let life get you down Kick lifes Ass.I don't thing are fallen hero's of all military branches would want us to hide at home I think they would want us to enjoy the gift they died to give us and that's life Freedom and The USA.Go racing,Go racing,Go racing,and enjoy your life for tomorrow may never come.

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003586
05/31/11 03:54 PM
05/31/11 03:54 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Its only the economic recession were are in for people who don't do simple math.They look at the gas marquee and when it goes up a quarter they pi$$ there pants.If you use 100 gal of fuel going to the track and back and gas goes up .25 that's only 25 bucks,he11 if it goes up a dollar its only 100 bucks.If anyone person is so broke that they can't afford and extra 100 dollars for gas They have no business going racing in the first place.I see so many people showing up in monster motor coaches with super fast cars and have no cash to eat.Here is a Idea race a car you can afford,I could have a stacker an a 6 second ride If I wanted but it would suck up all my extra money.I would rather keep What I got and eat steak at the track and when I need gas look for the station that is easy to get in and out of with a 44fT trailer in stead of looking to save 1.30 on a fill up.Its funny when you see someone with a 600 inch hemi in a bickel chassis car b1tching about how it cost him an extra 30 bucks to get to the track.Remember people some day you will be laying in a hospital bed dieing with thousands of dollars in the bank wishing you would have spent an extra 25 dollars on gas to go racing with your son,daughter,wife,dad,grandpa,brother, ect,ect just one more time.Don't let life get you down Kick lifes Ass.I don't thing are fallen hero's of all military branches would want us to hide at home I think they would want us to enjoy the gift they died to give us and that's life Freedom and The USA.Go racing,Go racing,Go racing,and enjoy your life for tomorrow may never come.

I see you dont live on a fixed income
but right now I'm building another car so my money
is going that way..... MOST of the guys on here race
as a hobby and IF they blew the engine MOST would
be done for the year(maybe longer), so that $100
for fuel does mean alot

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003587
05/31/11 04:02 PM
05/31/11 04:02 PM
Branson, Mo.
J
joedust451 Offline
super gas
joedust451  Offline
super gas
J

Branson, Mo.
Our track has "midnight drags" on Sat once a month, they get a good 200 cars through the gate, Races like these are nice, just your basic grudge racing, you can run as fast as you want in the 1/4 mile, but only with street tires or DRs or ET streets, no slicks in the 1/4, you can race for $$$/girlfriends/wives whatever, anything goes .

75 Duster, 451 10.87 @ 123.58 NA 97 Z28 6sp., 12.01 @ 115 on a 100 shot 71 Swinger. 360 magnum. 12.58 @ 105 78 cutlass, 469 BBC. 12.70 @ 108 on street tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kqNmMfheU
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003588
05/31/11 04:06 PM
05/31/11 04:06 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

Lemme guess-----you're a consistent NHRA participoant. GOOGD FOR YOU!
That's all well & good, except what's "missing" from your argument is the "mandatory" seatbelt replacement, shield replacement costs, etc., etc. He11, even the Air Force only replaces the seatbelts in the F16/18s every SEVEN years. You mean we're racing stuff more powerful & dangerous than them!!! I don't think so! And the facts are some people just like putting their money into a faster car than into NHRA's pockets. I have more fun at nostalgia events than ANY NHRA event so again, why support them? They abuse the "little guy", take their money, put unreasonable, expensive demands on them & use them as "filler" for the pros.
Nope, just can't see any reason to support them any longer.......

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: joedust451] #1003589
05/31/11 04:10 PM
05/31/11 04:10 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
The key is to make it fun again.

You go to a big money bracket race it's like going to a business convention...so much money is involved, the semi pro and professional bracket guys push any kind of regular local racers right out of the picture. You walk around, and no one is having fun...it's like work.

Cut back the purse, cut back the entry. Get rid of the round money for buy backs...or, better yet, do what they do at the Beaver, run a consolation race separately. The sharks won't like it, but the masses will, and will encourage participation by more folks.

Promote the local racers in the papers, run a program that doesn't run until the wee hours of the morning, simplify it. I'm one of those who still believe that bracket racing can draw some, I mean some, spectators.

Make the whole experience fun for everyone. That's what has gone away, and that is what can make up for the loss of the yuppie racers.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Jeepmon] #1003590
05/31/11 04:13 PM
05/31/11 04:13 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Car counts are down, really?

I've quit going because there are too damn many people at the tracks I frequent. I go in, pay my $40 entry fee, make 2 practice runs if things go smoothly, which they rarely do, then go in to eliminations. Since I don't get out very often, I'm often 1st or 2nd round fodder in a 100+ car field of guys who go multiple times a week and are much better with their reaction times and dial ins.

So I'm in $100 for tow rig gas, $40 for race gas, $40 race fee, figure another $20 for food and drinks and all that is for less than 60 seconds of racing while dealing with hordes of people, constant track maintanence and a lot of sitting in the car waiting to be called or sitting in the lanes after being called. Sorry, not interested any more.

Open track day or autocross are much more fun. Sure, they cost more, $200 vs $40, and I still have tow gas of $100, sometimes more, but actual seat time is vastly improved and can be measured in hours instead of seconds. Sure it isn't always racing with a winner and my odds of ever winning there are as slim, maybe less so, as they were at drag racing, but it is still loads more fun.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: joedust451] #1003591
05/31/11 04:14 PM
05/31/11 04:14 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
there has been a decrease in attendance for number of years,
shows up in youre local tracks first, then the big events,
look at the emty seats even on the big shows,
yes the economy, pricing of building a car, and all that goes into it,
it is changing every year, these younger kids not going into racing like i did , nor or they involved in it ,
i see this getting worse not better, even if fuel was 1.00$ gal, it wouldnt change ,
and it funnyn that most say its because of not having desposable income ,, mm dont stop going to tavern everyday, or the casino,
i agree that the sport is going back to the roots, and the guys who do it just for the love of the sport, will keep doing it , and certain ares like super stock and heads up classes and special events will prevail, but it will be at the risk of tracks going away and such

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: hemicop] #1003592
05/31/11 04:49 PM
05/31/11 04:49 PM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
I re read my post many times and never saw where I said anything about the nhra or seat belts or f-16's. All is said is in a nut shell is live within your income and you will not be stuck at home!

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: hemicop] #1003593
05/31/11 05:12 PM
05/31/11 05:12 PM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
Quote:

Quote:

Lemme guess-----you're a consistent NHRA participoant. GOOGD FOR YOU!
That's all well & good, except what's "missing" from your argument is the "mandatory" seatbelt replacement, shield replacement costs, etc., etc. He11, even the Air Force only replaces the seatbelts in the F16/18s every SEVEN years. You mean we're racing stuff more powerful & dangerous than them!!! I don't think so! And the facts are some people just like putting their money into a faster car than into NHRA's pockets. I have more fun at nostalgia events than ANY NHRA event so again, why support them? They abuse the "little guy", take their money, put unreasonable, expensive demands on them & use them as "filler" for the pros.
Nope, just can't see any reason to support them any longer.......

You should really read completely before you respond to someone I never promoted the NHRA nor Did I say anything about how cheep seat belts were If you want to attack the NHRA THEN ATTACK THE NHRA not me.My point is that staying at home because of an extra 20-100 dollars in gas money means you spent too much on your car or cars. Whats the point in having a fast car if you can't afford to use it?? .If you spent all you have its your fault not the NHRA's or anyone else.If more people went out and lived life instead of b1tched about how bad it is maybe It would not be So bad.
BTW I am glad you don't like the NHRA because when I race and one of there events I don't have to worry about seeing you or people like you throwing a wet blanket on an otherwise good time.
I take it your screen name means you have a hemi? if so no wander you can't afford to race

Last edited by julian2007; 05/31/11 05:20 PM.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003594
05/31/11 05:59 PM
05/31/11 05:59 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
julian2007,post a picture of your race-car.Bet its nice having the $$$ to not only have a nice car but race like you want.

Me I'm just a O'll wanna be Bracket-Racer but a Fast-One so I put all my $$$ in the dragster and where it used to be write a check for the entry fee it now has to be for the fuel also to get to the race.And hope I win enough to cover the check.

But when I get to the track & unload the Dragster its worth every penny spend & the long hours I put in the car to be there.

So I hope the future of Drag-Racing will be as Bright as my eyes are when I make a pass.

6659800-102rt.jpg.jpg (74 downloads)
Last edited by MRMOPAR570; 05/31/11 06:01 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003595
05/31/11 06:09 PM
05/31/11 06:09 PM
Aubrey, Texas
O
oldtimer5151 Offline
enthusiast
oldtimer5151  Offline
enthusiast
O

Aubrey, Texas
I`ve been racing since `62 and raced numerous brands of cars. NHRA has become sponsor or more correctly lobbyist oriented. It is not driver/car against driver/car. It is about money. Bracket started in the late 60`s and early 70`s, and you could race on the weekends and not strap your family budget. Then the index came along and nearly every car could have a place to race. It is not only the economy. NHRA is big business and only cares about selling media coverage. Race when you have the money and greed will take care of NHRA.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5