Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: convertriple] #1003616
06/01/11 12:01 AM
06/01/11 12:01 AM
Montgomery, PA
dodge340dart Offline
dodge340dart  Offline

Montgomery, PA
In the past I ran NHRA/IHRA points for the season at local tracks knowing that I couldn't go to the bracket finals at the year's end due to work conflicts. Over time I stopped joining points and ran where I wanted when I wanted. That was more fun to me. This year I am running in the Friday points season at Beaver Springs. The cost is much less and the payout is also much less but it is truely a lot of fun and everybody is really friendly and seems to get along well. There are about 8 or 9 classes on Fridays and all the classes have four to six rounds in eliminations. The stands have more people in them on Fridays compared to the Sunday shows even though they are both bracket races. The bonus to me is there is the "PRO" tree being used with a bracket format so redlights are not a problem and I am very good on the pro tree. An additional bonus is I have the weekend to do what I want, go race at another track, go to a car show, or take my lady friend out for an evening event. You just have to find what works for you, your family, and your wallet. BTW, I am #1 in points so far this season and being #1 is always fun!

Chris

2011 & 2012 Beaver Springs Dragway Outlaw Street Champion 2012 BSD Friday Street Racer Driver of the Year 3-time Jr. Stock Eliminator 2-time Mean Street Eliminator '69 340 Dart 1.500 60ft, 11.359et, 117.08mph
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: HPMike] #1003617
06/01/11 12:14 AM
06/01/11 12:14 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
After i have read all these posts seems like everyone has a point that concerns them.I had the really fast car and it turned out to be a big hassle every time in went to the track.I had to have guys just to line me up in the groove,you just can't see, the way i was strapped down. It was not fun anymore.I sold the car and now i putting a duster together to run foot brake,run pump gas, no electronics and i can open the door and look at the back tires myself and won't need any help.I think we all got to the point of being the big time racer with 15,000 dollar engines and 3,00 trans and 20,000 cars using 10.00 a gallon gas.I might have 3,000 in the whole car and won't brake nothing,run 7.60s, sweet. hope i made my point rambling on like this.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: cudaman1969] #1003618
06/01/11 12:47 AM
06/01/11 12:47 AM
Windsor ,Ca.
K
Keith Richards Offline
master
Keith Richards  Offline
master
K

Windsor ,Ca.
If I did not have the car's, trailer and parts I am lucky enough to have already I could not layout that cash now to do it again simple as that,with the current economy. I am lucky that racing is a bit cheaper now with our pump gas motor that Mopar Rich of Fast Man EFI was able to help me out with. I feel sorry to see some people at the track racing beyond there means, if you can't pay cash for it don't buy it.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Keith Richards] #1003619
06/01/11 12:54 AM
06/01/11 12:54 AM
COLUMBUS, OH
W
Whompin_Wedge Offline
mopar
Whompin_Wedge  Offline
mopar
W

COLUMBUS, OH
I blame the economy more for making jobs unstable, people are just kind of scared to spend their money because they are uneasy about their job situation. Its simple really. I hate to break it to everyone but prices are always raising on everything so get used to it. I know we have never worried about the cost of gas here. like already said its really only a couple more dollars...

Also Im not really sure how people can bash an NHRA event... Have you ever been to one? they had to not run all of their classes at once at some events because of soo many cars. They are probably the reason a lot of people even knows drag racing exists. A lot of what they do is make this sport safer and if you cant afford to pay for the safety equipment, slow the car down.. 140 bucks for a seat belt every two years is nothing on what we spend on these cars...

Race within your means.. simple.

Casey

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Whompin_Wedge] #1003620
06/01/11 01:03 AM
06/01/11 01:03 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
140 bucks for a seat belt every two years is nothing on what we spend on these cars...

Casey

You mean throw away 140 every 2 years... like they are
really worn out

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003621
06/01/11 01:18 AM
06/01/11 01:18 AM
COLUMBUS, OH
W
Whompin_Wedge Offline
mopar
Whompin_Wedge  Offline
mopar
W

COLUMBUS, OH
Quote:

140 bucks for a seat belt every two years is nothing on what we spend on these cars...

Casey

really worn out

Yea but still..

could be worse... they could make u put in a whole new cage every 2 years

Casey

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Whompin_Wedge] #1003622
06/01/11 01:27 AM
06/01/11 01:27 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Has anyone talked to NHRA about these belt rules ?

And WHY small OEM belts are fine for years ...and WHY the Air Forse on their fighter-jets have much longer "life" expectations ?

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003623
06/01/11 01:40 AM
06/01/11 01:40 AM
NW Pa.
KD800X Offline
super stock
KD800X  Offline
super stock

NW Pa.
. Casey it's not just the $140.00 every two years. (Although the cam locks are a lot more money) it's the other BS that goes with it. The locking trans dip stick the SFI roll bar padding, the engine diaper, the increase cost of chassis certifications, then you get some putz inspector who passed your car two years ago but now same car is not legal. It's always something with NHRA.
Then add that to the increased entry fees and the cuts in pay out. A lot of racers are either saying the hell with it or finding different venues.

I do think the economy has played a big part; it’s not just Drag Racing that has taken a hit. I’ve seen it at dirt tracks also. If you watched any NASCAR this year you see a lot of empty seats, and teams who have dropped out. People have prioritized and racing is not on top.

There have been a few mentions of Beaver Springs. I have been there for the Friday night races, he packs the place. 5 dollar entry and win a pizza and a trophy. The Racers are happy, the fans are happy and Bob makes money.

Bill Bader at Norwalk two years ago had a race and the gate fee was FREE. There was so many people there they had to close down RT 18 and RT 20 coming into the place.

Steve has mentioned the Nostalgia Races... He's right. We were at Quaker City this past Sunday, although it ended up being canceled because of water seeping through the cracks, they had an awesome turn out for there first Nostalgia Classic. The reason is this, Adults - $10.00, Kids 11-15 $5.00, Adults 65+ $5.00 and Kids 10 and under Free. So a family of 4 can see Funny Cars, Dragsters, Gassers and Super Stockers for under $40.00.
You go to the Nostalgia Nationals at Beaver Springs; on Sunday it's standing room only. And in both cases there were families there, Kids, Teenagers, and kids in there 20's.
The tracks need to start thinking outside the box. They need to give the racers a good track that hooks, keep the entry reasonable and the pay out reasonable and the racers will come. And if they keep the gate fees reasonable the fans along with the racers families will come also.
And alog with that the future racers of the sport will be born

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003624
06/01/11 05:44 AM
06/01/11 05:44 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

When was the last time you heard any kind of advertisement
on the local radio or TV station about any drag racing event...
the only thing I ever hear about racing is some
street BS or they crashed and someone died... alot
of this falls right in the laps of the track owners,
they dont advertise squat....
I remember a statement... if you want to make money
you have to spend money

You are so right Mr P. You made me think with that statement and it is so true. Every week I remember hearing " Saturday Saturday out of the lights at pace setting capital drag raceway the traction capital of the nation".........come see Ronnie Sox , Bill Jenkis , Dyno Don and 5 more Pro Stockers. In the 60's and the 70's I would hear that on the radio every week all summer long ! As was stated when there was only 6 or 7 NHRA and AHRA national events the Pro racers had time to run circuits and hit local tracks around the country. So you could see Pro Stocks or Funny cars for about $12 dollars instead of paying $30 dollars at a national event. Remember these are 60's and 70's prices. It was the best of times. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 06/01/11 05:46 AM.
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1003625
06/01/11 09:26 AM
06/01/11 09:26 AM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
My car is a 1999 spitzer 4- link 235 inch dragster,I gave 11500.00 for it and worked in my shop for years to pay for it.I work 70 hrs a week in the winter to pay for racing and its worth every second.I fix Wrecked race cars,boats,campers,trucks and motor coaches.I have painted everything from gun stocks to refrigerators to pay for racing.I have worked hard for what I have and am proud of it.I would like a new undercover car or a stacker trailer but I learned over the years to be happy with what I have and to stop caring what everyone else is doing.My point was not to say I have money My point is to budget correctly so you can go racing not build a 50000.oo dollar car on a 40000.00 dollar budget and then pi$$ and moan every time gas goes up .02 a gal.Race on your side and overtime money and always spend like you only have 75% of your money and the gas price blues will go away.Here is a photo per your request and if you want some come get some. but let me get all this work done so I can Afford to meet you at the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by julian2007; 06/01/11 09:33 AM.

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003626
06/01/11 09:37 AM
06/01/11 09:37 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Has anyone talked to NHRA about these belt rules ?

And WHY small OEM belts are fine for years ...and WHY the Air Forse on their fighter-jets have much longer "life" expectations ?

I have a problem with that as well.

My 40 year old belts are ok but as soon as I install a safer set of 3" belts they have to be chucked every three years regardless of use?

Madness.

I have a brand new trans blanket for the Reliant that has to be chucked and it is new in the box, just been sitting on the shelf for 8 years.

Just checked the rules- You have to send in a scattershield to be recertified every 5 years? [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean], its forged steel! I can see getting a flywheel checked out but an aftermarket forged steel bell?

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Whompin_Wedge] #1003627
06/01/11 10:06 AM
06/01/11 10:06 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Casey

really worn out

Yea but still..

could be worse... they could make u put in a whole new cage every 2 years

Casey

dont be giving them ideas.

i just changed the oil in my Caliber yesterday. it cost $26, that is outrageous. in 04 when i bought my Ram, i remember oil changes costing $13 for alot more oil. Gas is almost 4 times more money than it was a few years ago. between gas, oil and trans fluid, i wonder how anyone could afford to keep up a car

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: sixpackgut] #1003628
06/01/11 10:30 AM
06/01/11 10:30 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
$140.00 for belts? some people spend that on a oil change every time they go racing. Not me on either.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: rowin4] #1003629
06/01/11 12:13 PM
06/01/11 12:13 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

$140.00 for belts? some people spend that on a oil change every time they go racing. Not me on either.

So what are you trying to say?

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: gdonovan] #1003630
06/01/11 12:37 PM
06/01/11 12:37 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
I think the economy has affected people’s hobbies for the most part, whether it is golf, racing or going to watch a race. Like some others that have posted I race on my overtime money, my entire car was built with it, NO money out of the “general” funds. Mine is a street/strip car and I’ve been driving it quite a bit this year, I enjoy just cruising around in it. I haven’t been to the track this year, for some reason I just haven’t had the urge.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: justinp61] #1003631
06/01/11 01:19 PM
06/01/11 01:19 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Here are some facts on population demographics that any organization trying to sell products needs to be mindful of: 75 million baby boomers are in or close to retirement age. 60 million Gen Ys are in the workforce. 50 million Gen Xs are in the workforce.

Boomers as a group will be dropping in absolute numbers, but two economic realities will come with them-some will be on fixed incomes and some will have the highest amounts of dispoable income ever seen.

Gen Xers remain a constant for several more decades to come until they reach retirement.

Gen Y will continue to become an increasingly larger percentage of the work force and in 2018 will constitute half the available US workforce.

Any business marketing itself that wants to sustain growth needs to take in to account that the growing Gen Y population needs to feel included. Based on what I've seen at my local drag strips, the Gen Y group as a whole is typically dismissed as young, not affulent enough, and lacking interest by the businesses that need them. That isn't too say they don't have necessarily have a racing interest, but as young working stiffs, the tracks need to understand that by dropping the cost of competition, they can attract more racers, their friends, and their families in this generation and they can better assure their survival in the future.

Some of the biggest nights I've seen at my tracks have been the low cost test and tune, grudge match nights where there is a run wahtcha brung atmosphere and the lanes have a hundred+ cars and the stands are packed full of kids. By contrast, there are maybe a dozen high end bracket cars with nice hualers, enclosed trailers, big generators, etc. Sure those dozen cars all paid the same price as all the kids and will likely return on Sunday to pay $100 for the money race. But, as a track owner, would I rather have a dozen hard core racers every sunday for $100 a pop, or a few hundred kids in buzz bomb import cars at $10 each for entry, plus buying concessions.

I also agree with the marketing aspect of tracks now days too. There are many new people relocating to my area every year. Many of them are suprised when I tell them I go to the track because they didn't think one existed here. Tracks need to be mindful that if you want people to come to you, you have to regularly remind them that you exist. Some how I have a feeling that if they are going to spend $5k on something, many tracks may make this or that improvement to the facility ahead of advertising.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: savoyracer] #1003632
06/01/11 06:22 PM
06/01/11 06:22 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

I could've raced twin $2500 to win races on saturday but chose to go boating instead. My wife and kids hate the track and my girls will only be young once so...
over 500 boats and 8 live bands on a local sandbar!
It is not that I can't afford it, but chose to spend my money elsewhere. Different strokes for different folks.

[image]http://[/image]

..............................................................................................................Hard to argue with that...... .........What a great pic!!! blue skies, warm water, all the boats, I'm envious

Me too, race track or that? I'll take the boats and women anyday!!!

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003633
06/01/11 06:25 PM
06/01/11 06:25 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

My car is a 1999 spitzer 4- link 235 inch dragster,I gave 11500.00 for it and worked in my shop for years to pay for it.I work 70 hrs a week in the winter to pay for racing and its worth every second.I fix Wrecked race cars,boats,campers,trucks and motor coaches.I have painted everything from gun stocks to refrigerators to pay for racing.I have worked hard for what I have and am proud of it.I would like a new undercover car or a stacker trailer but I learned over the years to be happy with what I have and to stop caring what everyone else is doing.My point was not to say I have money My point is to budget correctly so you can go racing not build a 50000.oo dollar car on a 40000.00 dollar budget and then pi$$ and moan every time gas goes up .02 a gal.Race on your side and overtime money and always spend like you only have 75% of your money and the gas price blues will go away.Here is a photo per your request and if you want some come get some. but let me get all this work done so I can Afford to meet you at the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste your breath around here, nobody here understands.
I earned my race car money with my hands and brain also. I worked 18 hours a day for over 20 years to race and fixed a bunch of stuff for people so I could race, first class I must add.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 06/01/11 07:34 PM.
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Challenger 1] #1003634
06/01/11 06:35 PM
06/01/11 06:35 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
julian2007, I'll take you up on that race for $$$. I like Heads-Up run what ya brung racing.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Challenger 1] #1003635
06/01/11 06:41 PM
06/01/11 06:41 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

I have painted everything from gun stocks to refrigerators to pay for racing.

MOST people I know MAKE MONEY racing. But if that is what works-for-you ....go for it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5