I did the motor and it was a lot of fun doing something like this for what may be the heaviest of muscle car era 340 cars (I was guessing close to 4000 lbs). The motor was built with more emphasis on mid/upper-mid torque than peak HP because of the application. I think Kevin will really be happy driving this car.

It is a pump gas (9.9:1 compression) FAST motor. The heads and intake are true 71 340 castings along with a 4973 71 thermoquad. The cam is a solid flat tappet (similar results could have been achieved with a hydraulic on this one but Kevin had a preference for a solid and he wanted a real noticeable idle).

He called me after the dyno session. The best numbers with headers(he didnt know size of the headers) were 515HP and 539 TQ. The B-body manifolds yielded 474 HP at 5800 RPM and 496 TQ at 4500 RPM. He ran the carb with the choke installed and he did not have any jets to lean out the carb with the manifolds. This along with two recommendations ( extra speed secrets) I gave him will bump it to 500HP and well over 500 ft-lbs with manifolds when he gets around to it. They ran 91 octane pump gas (didnt know what brand)

Note on manifolds: This was the first set of b-body manifolds I have ever ported. They are restrictive. I would describe the drive side as almost identical to the 71 A/B passenger side but with the dump in the rear rather than the center. Also the exits on both are 1 7/8 rather than 2 1/4 on the A pass side.

BTW after seeing some of the pics of the restoration in this thread I have to say I am pretty impressed. I believe Kevin is only 21 years old.

Last edited by Rapid340; 08/03/12 03:40 PM.

1971 Factory Appearing Duster 340 11.000 @ 122 mph