Being one of the new SS/AH guys this past year my approach to this class was to run a half second under the index. I might have the $ but I didn't have the time at this point in my career to race as often as it takes to be near the top. It was never my plan to be the man. I was just going to be happy to run a bit behind the best.

Figured if I was going to make this kind of investment I'd start out with the best body from CA, then had FJ Smith build the chassis/cage. Have a $10K paint job, an old crossram MacCallum/Pancake/to Barton's for freshening/Bales/Crosswhite $20K motor that I had to add an oil pump and new set of carbs from CW, who I respect as a no BS, just get it done type of guy. Wired, upholstered, plumbed the car myself. Bought an old ProTrans, added some basic electronics, No RacePak stuff and went racing.

My 1st Hemi Shootout was the CC event at Norwalk. Pulled my F350 and smaller tag trailer into the pits next to Gary W. and David B. Both nice guys who came over and introduced themselves. Serious about their stuff. Spoke to Jim about his old motor...he said it was a good piece but old tech. Both Jim and the Holts were great. Imagine my surprise when I beat Gary and Pancake beat David. Picture this, here I am 9pm Saturday night racing in the Hemi finals at Norwalk, against the former national record holding car and driver. The stuff dreams are made of. Great payday even for a runner-up.

2nd Hemi Shootout was at the Dutch. More cars this time. Pitted next to my friends the Howes Family, and on the other side the Hards, both Brian and Tyler stopped over to take a look at the car and introduce themselves. Their rig provided lots of shade for me, when the sun did shine. I did a fine job securing the final qualifing spot and raced on elimination day. The old motor wasn't the fastest but it held together. Everyone that stopped by had only the best things to say, nothing negative unless it had to do with rain. On Saturday I was told to report to tech, when I got there they wanted me to bring the car down so they could take pictures handing me the "Best Engineered Car" award. Another proud moment for me.

Yes it is worth it. Being at the right place at the right time has alot to do with it. I have had a chance to meet and talk with some great racers the Howes, Marvel, Comella, Barton, Pancake, Wolkwitzes, Hebert, Bales, Joe Jr., Jeff, and CW.
We'll be out soon with radials, a new piston/cam/intake combo and hope to run a half under the new index. No illusions here. I'm sure there a few more new cars on the way, not all of can start with the latest Barton or CW steam, but give us a chance. That's my 2 cents, been there, done it, and will continue to do it.