I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi and 34,700 miles. I am having a problem with a ticking/tapping noise. This only happens when the weather is cold. When I start my truck there is NO noise. As the truck runs, you can start to hear this ticking/tapping. It starts out quiet and sounds like a lifter to me. As time goes on the noise gets louder and sounds like a really dry lifter. You can hear this noise 20-25 feet away. The noise continues until you drive the truck for a while. But if you just let it sit there and run the noise continues. I took the truck to 2 dealers and both said this is normal engine noise. The 2nd mechanic said its normal lifter noise that happens after miles are put on the engine. I had a salesman go start a similar truck with similar miles on the lot and it had no noise. I work with at least a dozen guys with same kind of truck and no noise. And I have never heard of a normal noisy lifter. Except for noise from a solid cam and this sound nothing like that.
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their truck or know of one that has. Does anyone have any ideas? I have already called Dodges customer service and waiting for a call back. I am planning on taking the truck to another dealer to get another mechanics opinion.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. My warranty is up in about a week and 1000 miles. So I would be lying if I said I am not trying to get this figured out before that happens.
Thank you
Chris