The questions in this post are aimed at the engine builders on here that KNOW the answers!
I developed the desire for a 426 HEMI when I was 10 or 11. Richard Petty was having one of the best seasons in history in a square body, 426 HEMI stock car. I decided then to own one of these cars.
Finally in the spring of 2012, I was driving a square body convertible with a 426 HEMI. Everything about the car was designed to be DRIVEN. First it was a convertible, next was power steering and brakes. I also mounted a Gear Vendor overdrive ahead of the Dana with 3.54 gears. The 727 shifts AUTOMATICALLY with the help of A&A components and a Turbo Action valve body. The converter is as tight as PTC could make an 11", 250K+.
I've enjoyed driving it over 7,200 miles now, It is just what I wanted with just one problem, it uses WAY too much oil. I have won all the "Best of Show" trophies I want, won at Pigeon Forge 8 times in a row, now I want to DRIVE the car, a lot!
I have an extensive collection of original car magazines with many HEMI cars tested new. I know that a lot of them complained that they had to add a quart of oil for every tank of gas, but I am not satisfied with that. I have decided to pull the engine apart over the winter and "tighten it up".
I have chased the oil consumption through intake gaskets, Superformance cured that, leak down, compression checks, catch valve in line to the PVC, all to no avail. I suspect valve guides/seals, but conversations with the BEST HEMI engine builders (you know who I'm talking about), have convinced me that it is a combination of cylinder sealing and guides/seals.
So, who makes the best piston that has the lowest expansion rate? How tight can I run them? I currently have "Diamond" with 4.35" bore. If I need to, I am prepared to bore the block and buy new pistons. What ring size is readily available after 4.350? Richard Nedbal's book suggests a Napier second ring with a "gapless" top ring. I have a GOOD shop that will get the bore straight and put the proper finish on the cylinder walls. What brand ring do you guys suggest? What wall finish? What ring gap? What type of rings?
Next, the heads. I might as well step up to a new, better head. I am currently running MP but am looking at the Edelbrock or Stage V. How tight can I run the valve to guide? What type of seals?
I have lost track of the engines that I have built over the years. The last one was a Gen I HEMI with a 6-71 blower for a 32' roadster that has never had a valve cover off since I put it together in 2009! I want my HEMI to be like the LS-7 that I built and installed in a 70' Chevelle with air, PS, PB, tilt etc. in 1995. I drove that car ANYWHERE I wanted and NEVER had to add oil! It is still running strong and dependable.
Any and all info would be appreciated. What I want is real, tested solutions by real engine builders.
Thanks

Air Cleaner 42.jpgIMG_20161005_070001136_HDR.jpg