My car runs the stock pulley & belt setup. I’ve had the car for 12 years, and never had a belt issue, nor replaced a belt up until last fall when it threw the water pump / alt. belt on what was the last pass of last year. I figured it was just time, as the belt was who knows how old. I replaced the belt and it saw a few street miles last fall before tearing the top end down to have the heads worked on over the winter. All recently went back together once again with the bracketry and pulley setup no different than it has been since I’ve owned the car. I am completely confident that the belt was tight.

Today I pulled it out of the garage and took it for a short drive to put gas in it for the upcoming race weekend. I cracked into the secondaries once and felt and heard a rap under the hood. Pulled over........ yep, belt gone.

Anyone have any ideas on why the same setup that was rock solid for 50 years would suddenly start throwing belts? Alternator is solid as a rock. Water pump is solid and spins evenly. All pulleys appear to be in good repair. Could I be tightening the belt too much??

Last edited by StealthWedge67; 04/25/18 01:55 AM.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120