Originally Posted By moparpoolman
Originally Posted By weedburner
Originally Posted By moparpoolman
After seeing the "Soft Lok Thread", I didn't want to hijack so started a new one.
I keep breaking the 18 spline A833, blow all the teeth off third gear on the cluster. Broke 3 in the last 8 years only going to the track about 5 times a year. Car is a 68 Plymouth b body, A833 with a centerforce clutch, 420HP to the rear tires with a 4.10 Dana that I don't drive on the street?
Is an adjustable clutch my answer? What other adjustable clutches like a McLeod Soft Lok are available? The "clutchtamer"
http://clutchtamer.com/
sounds interesting, anyone run one?
I'm wondering what I should do?? Different disc? get away from the cenerforce and go with a regular Ram or Mcleod? switch to an adjustable clutch? or maybe try a clutchtamer with it the centerforce??? The more I research it the more confused I'm getting, HELP?

A SoftLoc style clutch isn't likely to be any easier on your 3rd gear than the Centerforce. The basic problem with both is that they hit their hardest after a WOT shift. That's just a function of them using centrifugal assist as a part of their overall clamp load. The SoftLoc's iron disc makes it even worse as it grabs harder as it gains temperature. If your 833 still has synchros, forget about hi rpm powershifts with that heavy full face iron disc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that going to a lighter flywheel doesn't affect how HARD a clutch hits, it only affects how LONG it can maintain that hard hit.

No need to buy an expensive lightweight clutch. You'll get better results at your power level with a simple ClutchTamer softening the hit of a RAM Powergrip HD. Far less maintenance, no need for a hole in the bellhousing, and more efficient than a SoftLoc style adjustable clutch. I doubt there's a more cost effective way to improve your 60' while softening the hit on your drivetrain at the same time.

The 833's I'm running do not have synchros. One is a "slick shift" and one is a "Liberty pro shift"
What is the best way to be shifting? WOT? Pressing clutch? Tapping clutch? No Clutch?
only way to shift a proshift trans is at WOT. if driving around slowly, then double clutch to up shift and down shift. trans will not grind. the ratio of Z bar will dictate how you use the clutch. I could tap mine, but my Z bar ratio was changed to do that. you do have to use the clutch. BTW, the softloc does slip on gear change, which softens the hit, that's way it was designed to operate. the pressure is less at lower rpm. I know it's not as hard as a 1600# clutch with rag disc hits. also, I don't have C/W on my softloc. also, as mcloed guy said, it fools the engine, has a convertor behind it. the RPM drop is less, because the clutch does slip some, as RPM comes up , it locks up.